Windows 10, up or down...

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Windows 10, up or down...

Post by RickRund » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:36 am

I have reserved my copy. Just wondering the consensus here as to it's viability. I know Microsoft says it's safe and I saw that on the net. So it must be true...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Re: Windows 10, up or down...

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:57 pm

My wife is the technology director at my son's elementary school and knows of several of her peers around the state that loaded 10 on their laptops. One lasted several days before it crashed and the other made it a week before it got a blue screen of death. In my house hold we wait several years before up grading operating systems or until we get a new computer.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:24 pm

bobcat92 wrote:My wife is the technology director at my son's elementary school and knows of several of her peers around the state that loaded 10 on their laptops. One lasted several days before it crashed and the other made it a week before it got a blue screen of death. In my house hold we wait several years before up grading operating systems or until we get a new computer.
Thanks...I think 10 lasted less than a week. To many reasons /issues... It does say to do a custom install but I was not real comfortable so I just let 10 go on it's own... I will wait a bit...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

SaxCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by SaxCat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:25 pm

University of California IT has directed all employees to not install 10 on any school devices yet. A few early adopters got stuck in the auto-update/reboot loop and lost a lot of time and some machines had to be reformatted with the result of at least one professor losing a lot of un-backed up data.

So, until UC says go, I'm going to hold off.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm good with it on two machines so far. This is the first time Onecloud and Office 365 has really worked well for me as a total cloud based effort. Clean easy interface. No trouble with the upgrade except it took for freakin ever. I also had to go back and clear some space off the hard drive of an older laptop that filled up with the upgrade (it keeps the old OS 100% archived in case you want to restore). That older laptop has never run better. Thumbs up from me.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:45 am

My Sony Vaio crashes 4 or 5 times a day with Windows 10 and Sony says compatible drivers will be out in October.

Other than that its the same old Windows product, crash, reboot repeat.

I do have a surface tab and its been flawless so far.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:30 am

Looking forward to testing Windows 10 for my users (less than 40) but won't be moving to it for at least a year. We just got everybody, but one (a Windows 2000 box, don't ask) moved to windows 7 and we've been stable.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act