Bend brewery question for Randy???

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Bend brewery question for Randy???

Post by RickRund » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:50 am

We are in Coeur D'Alene for our Grandson' s HS graduation. We are heading back on Sunday and are looking to stop at another brewery. Deschutes, Bend and 10 Barrel have been our stops before...Are there any of the 10 or so remaining that have good food AND good brews..
Patti retires August 28 and we plan on trying to spend a few days and hit some sights later.
Thank you

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

rtb

Re: Bend brewery question for Randy???

Post by rtb » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Yes! Feel free to email me at anytime as well.

Deschutes is my favorite spot and if you they have a sage and juniper IPA on right now called Sage Fight that will probably only be on tap for another few days.

The other 3 that fit what you're looking for are Worthy Brewing, Goodlife Brewing, and Crux. Crux probably has the best beer of those 3, food is pretty good, but on Sunday it is likely to be really busy. Worthy probably is your best bet as the food is really good and the pub is really nice, the drawback is, it is probably the farthest spot from highway 97. Goodlife is really cool, they have great beers. I haven't eaten there in quite a while and I know the menu has changed so I can't promise what the menu is like, but it's a great spot.

Really, you can't go wrong anywhere, but some of the best breweries (Boneyard, Bridge 99, etc.) don't have food. Also Oblivion just opened a new brewpub that I'm hearing great things about their food, but can't sign off on it personally yet.

I say, skip work next week stay for a while and visit all 26 Central Oregon breweries.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:44 pm

+1 for Crux.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:08 pm

We ended up going to Worthy. Nice place, good food.....
In a few months we will be there and will not be in a hurry so we can hit a few breweries. Maybe our next trip through you can join us for dinner and a brew. Worthy was very easy as we stay as we stay at La Quinta..
Just looked up Crux and that looks pretty simple.....Next time we are hoping to have the 5th Wheel.

msubobcats@outlook.com

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:28 pm

CatBlitz wrote:+1 for Crux.
So I guess you have tried Crux...

msubobcats@outlook.com

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:41 pm

I don't drink any of those micros, but I have a question. People have those growlers to refill, most of them are clear glass. What do you guys do to keep the sun from skunking your beer?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:17 pm

allcat wrote:I don't drink any of those micros, but I have a question. People have those growlers to refill, most of them are clear glass. What do you guys do to keep the sun from skunking your beer?
Typically I don't leave my filled growlers sitting on a windowsill so the sun doesn't skunk my beer...

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:01 pm

allcat wrote:I don't drink any of those micros, but I have a question. People have those growlers to refill, most of them are clear glass. What do you guys do to keep the sun from skunking your beer?
When you drink em as fast as they fill em, it's not a problem

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:40 pm

coachouert wrote:
Typically I don't leave my filled growlers sitting on a windowsill so the sun doesn't skunk my beer...
But all it really takes is to expose it. I owned a bar and the sun would skunk a beer almost as soon as someone took a mug outside.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 am

RickRund wrote:
And heard good things from numerous others. Worthy and Boneyard I like as well.

As for the growler question, most of them I see anymore are brown glass. We bought a sweet one from Madison River.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:17 am

CatBlitz wrote:
RickRund wrote:

As for the growler question, most of them I see anymore are brown glass. We bought a sweet one from Madison River.
That would make more sense to me, I've just seen most of them in clear. The clear makes the beer nicer to look at.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:06 am

allcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
RickRund wrote:

That would make more sense to me, I've just seen most of them in clear. The clear makes the beer nicer to look at.
Very true. I suppose if you get it to the car and the fridge quickly, it should be ok. Growlers at our house usually only last a few hours :lol:

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:07 am

CatBlitz wrote:
allcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Very true. I suppose if you get it to the car and the fridge quickly, it should be ok. Growlers at our house usually only last a few hours :lol:
I would suggest some sort of cover for the growler as you take it to the car. It really takes very little sunlight to skunk it.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:13 pm

allcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
allcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I would suggest some sort of cover for the growler as you take it to the car. It really takes very little sunlight to skunk it.
Never had an issue, although like I said, our growler is brown. But it may depend on the beer too. Darker, less hoppy beers might be more resistant...?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:47 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
allcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
allcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Never had an issue, although like I said, our growler is brown. But it may depend on the beer too. Darker, less hoppy beers might be more resistant...?
Any actual hops will do it. Even the light from a cooler will eventually skunk the beer. You can also do it like Corona, stuff a lemon in the bottle to mask the taste, and build the bottle with a long narrow neck, so you don't smell it.