Tsunami

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rtb

Post by rtb » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:39 pm

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:44 pm

That's an excellent article. Really puts things into perspective. Hopefully, maybe, perhaps this tsunami will increase awareness of all the suffering going on in the world and bring us all closer together, so we can start solving some of the real problems in the world like starvation and poverty, which truly make hatred seem so petty.

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:52 pm

It was a good reminder for me. I wanted to make a donation, but have procrastinated. I did. I chose doctors without borders. I was impressed that they asked people to stop donating to their asia relief effort, because they have all the money they can handle for the tsunami effort. They still need money for crises in 30 other countries, including Sudan.

I was reading recently about how many people are dying of malaria around the world; it dwarfs the tsunami death toll, and lives can be saved with relatively little money.

In honor of w and international diplomacy, I decided to make my donation to the French chapter.

Thanks.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:00 pm

velochat wrote:It was a good reminder for me. I wanted to make a donation, but have procrastinated. I did. I chose doctors without borders. I was impressed that they asked people to stop donating to their asia relief effort, because they have all the money they can handle for the tsunami effort. They still need money for crises in 30 other countries, including Sudan.

I was reading recently about how many people are dying of malaria around the world; it dwarfs the tsunami death toll, and lives can be saved with relatively little money.

In honor of w and international diplomacy, I decided to make my donation to the French chapter.

Thanks.
If you care one way or another, the one potential downside of donating directly to the French chapter is that contributions to non-U.S. charitable organizations aren't deductible.

Of course, that generally doesn't stop people from putting it on their tax returns... the odds are pretty good on those kinds of things.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:47 am

velo: I couldn't find a good French phrase, so "ze salecsionne es le exselliante!" .... Yes, I just made that up. I win lame poster of the day, again, and it's only 7:45 AM.

velochat

Post by velochat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:14 am

Is that german?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:59 am

It's iaafan-ese for, "Excellent selection." I realize not many speak my language.

velochat

Post by velochat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:13 am

merci beaucoup