No "Happy Holidays?"

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

No "Happy Holidays?"

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:50 pm

I've been noticing a disturbing trend, which I assume is being promoted by some right wing organization(s). In several smaller Montana newspapers (as only small newspapers will prints letters this tacky, and as I don't read small newspapers in California, where they may also be appearing), I have noticed pretty standard letters imploring people to boycott stores that advertise or display signs saying "Happy Holidays." These letter writers assert that the signs should say "Merry Christmas," or else they are just pandering to PC, and should be punished for their foolishness.

As Kyle's Jewish mother on South Park would say, "Wha-wha-what???!"

The mentality of these letters is absurd, but also downright scary. We seem to be in the midst of some strange cultural backwash wherein certain religious people feel as though it is "their time" to take back the world at the expense of all others.

Saying "Happy Holidays" isn't anti-Christian, or even slighting JC in any way -- it is simply recognizing that there are some people who don't happen to be Christians, and that there is no need to exclude these people from one's December/early January salutations. To explicitly exclude people isn't some bold strike against PC -- it is just intentionally being a jackass. Apparently these letter writers are not familiar with such non-Christian holidays such as Hanukkah and even New Years Day. And, yes, there are even some people who celebrate Kwanzaa or Hindu and other winter solstice related holidays.

I have noticed some references to this anti-"Holiday" phenomena in other sources as well (subliminal message flashing across the screen in the middle of my post, when slowed down to 1/1000 speed, reads "Fox"), so apparently this is a national campaign by the usual suspects.

Of course, the ultimate irony is that the date of Christmas has nothing to do with Christ -- it was a pagan winter solstice holiday co-opted by the Romans/Catholic Church to coerce a large population into their church. Ditto for Easter (pagan spring equinox fertility festival -- thus Easter Bunny). There is nothing historical or in the Bible that suggests that JC was born in December at all, and those accounts that do exist put his birth in other parts of the year (March being prevelant). So really, if we get down to the real meat of this holiday season, I guess we really should be wishing each other "Happy Winter Solstice!" For some reason, though, "Happy Holidays" just sounds much better to me.

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:15 pm

Have a sensational solstice and a brighter tomorrow!, mr. provocateur 8)

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:23 pm

Merry Festivas!

Beaker
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Beaker » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:28 pm

This isn't original from me, but:
Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally, a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2005, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)
:lol:

Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:11 pm

Feliz Navidad...Merry Christmas everybody; I'm planning to check out of the net for some time as my little ones want to enjoy both winter sports and the beach and since I know these great places to get offseason rates in Panama City...

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:14 pm

...and Happy Kwanzaa while you're at it...

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:33 am

Beaker wrote:This isn't original from me, but:
Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally, a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2005, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)
:lol:
Hey, welcome back, Beaker! I was wondering where you had run off to. Good post... it really shows why it is so much easier for stores to simply say "Happy Holidays" when they want to send out good wishes to the entire shopping public. It fits so much easier on a sign than the similar fully inclusive greeting you noted.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:51 am

Would Merry Grizmas be out of line? :roll:

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

OZCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by OZCAT » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:00 am

Thanks Meat...your posts never seem to be mean spirited...mostly bring a smile to my face.

BayCat...breath into a paper bag maybe you'll feel better.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:15 am

My wife took a rather nice photo to Costco to get our 2004 Christmas card. Being the wonderfully PC woman that she is we got the card back and at the bottom it says, Merry Christmas, Happy holidays, Shalom, and another 2 seasonal greetings, I can not think of right now. I got a pretty big kick out of it and thought that things are getting a little ridiculous. The problem is that in the past week we have gotten 4 other photo card from friends with the same message. Costco is raking in the money!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:32 am

OZCAT wrote:Thanks Meat...your posts never seem to be mean spirited...mostly bring a smile to my face.

BayCat...breath into a paper bag maybe you'll feel better.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
And Merry Christmas to you, Ozcat. Since we both celebrate Christmas, it makes perfect sense to send out those wishes.

Of course, I wasn't suggesting that anyone not wish each other Merry Christmas (so sorry to disappoint those who knee-jerkedly assumed otherwise, but I'm not anti-Christmas) -- I just think it's silly for anyone to get upset over someone using the phrase "Happy Holidays." If you are offering paper bags to those who need them, I suggest you start with those people, and then work your way up to me.

I know many people in this country probably haven't even met anyone who wasn't of a Christian background, so understanding why this whole topic can be annoying is hard to appreciate. However, if you happen to have friends who are Jewish or other non-Christian religions, and you hear someone (the letter writing campaign people noted in the original post) essentially say that only Christians are allowed to have happy December holiday celebrations, it makes you a bit frustrated. There's no reason to be upset over non-Christians having joyous December holiday celebrations while we celebrate ours, and I would assume that nearly everyone would agree on that point.

OZCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by OZCAT » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:53 am

BayCat-

I personally do not believe that only Christians should "enjoy" Christmas.

There will always be those who want to make an issue out of a non-issue. As my Father would say...pick your battles carefully.

"Enjoy" The Holiday

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:21 am

OZCAT wrote:BayCat-

I personally do not believe that only Christians should "enjoy" Christmas.

There will always be those who want to make an issue out of a non-issue. As my Father would say...pick your battles carefully.

"Enjoy" The Holiday
I'm sure all Jewish people hope you had a Happy Hanukkah as well.

And there's no harm in pointing out the absurdity of some people's words and actions wherever they may be lurking. The sooner we stamp it out, the sooner we can start truly doing unto others and we would have them do unto us.

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:39 pm

Indeed - what is better than "giving AND receiving?"