A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

A Bad year

Post by BWahlberg » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:33 pm

For the name Kerry.

John Kerry / Kerry Mullan :(

Ouch! Bad year for me too, I voted for Kerry and and Mullan plays for the Griz. For most of the political debate I read from Cat fans in this section, you guys must've liked to see both the "Kerry's" go down in defeat.

I actually cannot say it was a bad year, it really was a great year for the Griz finishing the overall 2nd best team in the country. So really no complaints, just wish we would've won last night, but hey, someone had to lose that game. ugh...

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:18 am

It's obvious from all the commotion that Mullan's act was at the very least controversial, and although a game consists of every play for 60 minutes, it definitely cost the Griz 4 points.

I didn't see the play live, but saw it (MANY TIMES) on ESPN and if you ask me to characterize it as a journalist, I'd have described it as a "punch to the head"; as a fan, I would definitely categorize the action as an intentional cheap shot. That being said, I found the various viewpoints on it in PRAVDA (aka the Missoulian) quite interesting:

Fritz Neighbor: "...the QB threw incomplete, but was hit late by defensive tackle Kerry Mullan."

Rial Cummings: "...But sophomore tackle Kerry Mullan's right arm made contact with Rascati's facemask on the second incomplete pass...

Bobby Hauck: "We pushed off on the quarterback late..."

Talk about understatements!! Hauck & Cummings comments in particular are laughable... "made contact"!? "pushed off"!? :lol:

I'd like to see how they would describe the brawl between the Pacers & fans in Detroit a few weeks ago! "At the Palace in Auburn Hills last night, Ron Artest, Steven Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal objected to the actions of several Piston fans, and harsh words were exchanged..." :lol:

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:37 am

This time around El Gato, I've got to agree with you.

Mullan should've been tossed b/c it was obvious his "late pushoff" was malicious (sp?). Since he was just flagged I think Hauck should've benched him for the rest of the game.

On the otherside, there are no replay screens at the game, Hauck might not have seen it, and from their angle the refs might not have thought it was as hard of a hit as it actually was from the angle they were standing at.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:41 pm

I admit having the ability to see the replays makes a big difference in a situation like this.

I'm curious if both Neighbor and Cummings were at the game? If they didn't see the play other than as it happened, I could excuse them & Hauck for "glossing over" the play.

Having seen the replay, their comments simply seemed comical to me...

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most