Best Record Ever??

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

billingscat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Best Record Ever??

Post by billingscat » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:23 pm

What do you all think is the best sports record of all time? I know it is difficult to compare with the big differences in eras but still try your best. Some of my choices:
-Dimaggio's hit streak
-Wilt's 100 point game
-Lance Armstrong's streak

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:35 pm

I don't know if they are necessarily the best but I really like the Iron-Man type records. Ripken and Favre's consecutive game's played records are really amazing.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:35 pm

Hank Aaron's STEROID FREE Home Run record, without ever hitting 50 in a single season...

Someday, given the nature of the NBA these days, I'm guessing Kobe or Iverson will take EVERY shot in a game & will break 100, but given the ERA in which Wilt did it, that was impressive indeed...

Dimaggio's streak impresses me most in the fact that no one ever even GETS CLOSE to it! I think in my lifetime (41 years), the highest streak has been in the 30's...

I don't think any of Gretzky's records will ever be broken (especially since hockey is all but finished as North America's 4th sport)...

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:45 pm

Pete Rose 40 something?

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:18 pm

I'd have to say Lance's streak. His streak involves one of the most challenging competitions on earth, and he has beaten the very best from all over the world time and time again. It's hard to top that.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:20 pm

& they keep changing the track to hurt his chances.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

billingscat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by billingscat » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:00 pm

EL GATO: "Someday, given the nature of the NBA these days, I'm guessing Kobe or Iverson will take EVERY shot in a game & will break 100, but given the ERA in which Wilt did it, that was impressive indeed..."

Gonna have to disagree with this, I would bet that we will never see that record broken. Arguably the greatest player of all time Jordan didnt even come close with what, something in the 60 point range. I think David Robinson put up around 70 a few years ago. With the athletes in todays era we will never see a player as dominant as Wilt, just my opinion.
Last edited by billingscat on Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:52 pm

Charlo winning 89 football games in a row; Missoula Sentinal winning 56 games in a row (beating Anaconda with Wayne Estes in the 61 state championship game with Mike Lewis who would take Duke almost by himself to their first final four appearance) and the only time ever Montana has produced two All-American basketball players; Miami going undefeated in one NFL year; the New York Yankee total World Series titles; Pete Rose's hit totals; Nolan Ryan's strike out total; Nolan Ryan's number of no hitters, one hitters, two hitters, etc.; Super Bowl Championships held by Terry Bradshaw or Joe Montana; the number of times we've heard how great the Fizzlies are--wait, that's not an actual accomplishment; the number of times we've heard the Fizzlies complain about not getting any respect, same ol same...

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:57 pm

...and I would put an asterick by DiMaggio's streak because baseball was so depleted by WWIII; Rose had either 41 or 44 in 78.

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:06 am

Lance's Tour win steak isn't an individual accomplishment. Not saying that 6 wins in row isn't phenomenol, just that it's a team accomplishment. So Postal should get the credit...imo.

bobcatftbl
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatftbl » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:14 am

Bleedinbluengold wrote:Lance's Tour win steak isn't an individual accomplishment. Not saying that 6 wins in row isn't phenomenol, just that it's a team accomplishment. So Postal should get the credit...imo.

I sort of agree, however if Lance's is not an individual record then neither is basically every football record right? Walter Payton would not have gotten all those yards if it wasnt for the hard work of everyone else on the team, Favre's streak would not exist if it wasnt for good protection from his o-line.

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:38 pm

<-- Packer Fan

Favre's streak in my mind would be the most impressive, but I also think Armstrong's is amazing as well.

It's tough to compare because the sports they compete in are different, Favre has guys trying to hit him and throw him to the ground, while Armstong battles other bicyclists on steep mountain roads being swarmed by cycling fanatics.

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:41 pm

I am probably biased with Baseball being my favorite sport, but I would say Joe D's streak. I don't really feel the game had been depleted by WWII, it occurred the summer before Pearl Harbor.