Intelligent design/creationism

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:55 pm

Well done CatBooster,

I have heard different versions of this type of theory. How Creationism and Evolution don't have to oppositional arguments. I have not invested enough time studying them, in order to speak intelligently on the topic. I did attend a lecture at MSU by a nuclear physicist who spoke about this same theory. He had no issues with the Big Bang theory, but spoke about how something must have been the catalyst to spark the Big Bang. His theory was Divine Intervention. He also spoke a little about the relative timescales of the Creation story and scientific evidence. However the majority of his lecture covered the very instant that the world started, and how the only explanation he could neither prove or disprove was Divine Intervention.

I believe this speaker was jointly sponsored by the College of Engineering and Campus Crusade for Christ. The only reason I went was because of COE's sponsorship. I am a man of faith, but don't necessarily care for the Evangelical type of speakers the Campus Crusade usually sponsors.

Beaker
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Beaker » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:27 pm

There seems to have been a lot of throwing the "scientific proof" idea around this thread--quite enjoyable banter, IMO.

To avoid this thread going stale, I'll throw this link from ABC News out there for people to go read.

Either side of the Creation/Evolution subject you side yourself, I'm confident you'll find this interesting reading.

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:39 pm

I do believe man has been around for at least a few million years, and the universe, as we know it, a few billion years. Does any of this really exist? That's only a theory based on anecdotal evidence. Is Tammy Hall real? I think not.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:47 pm

Beaker wrote:There seems to have been a lot of throwing the "scientific proof" idea around this thread--quite enjoyable banter, IMO.

To avoid this thread going stale, I'll throw this link from ABC News out there for people to go read.

Either side of the Creation/Evolution subject you side yourself, I'm confident you'll find this interesting reading.
Interesting article. He is, after all, a philosopher -- he's supposed to be in a state of total confusion all of the time (doing that much thinking will mess with a person's head). I'm surprised he hasn't changed his mind more often on the topic.

I love that handle and avatar. He was my fav muppet.