California School Bans Declaration of Independance

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:57 pm

I don't think you were alone -- he probably didn't read them himself.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:56 pm

More info on the original topic. As before, the MN requires a login, so I will just post the text:

By Luis Zaragoza and Connie Skipitares

Mercury News

Stephen J. Williams wasn't looking for celebrity when he sued to bring Jesus Christ into his Cupertino classroom.

The fifth-grade teacher at Stevens Creek Elementary School made that clear after a national TV appearance: ``I don't enjoy being the center of attention.''

But Williams' story has been on TV and radio morning and night. He alleges Cupertino Union School District officials violated his civil rights by restricting his use of handouts with references to God and Jesus Christ.

He's represented by a legal firm that describes Williams' case this way on its Web site: ``Declaration of Independence Banned from Classroom.'' The district denies this.

But publicity over the case has left the school community uneasy and polarized over whether Williams is accurately presenting the historical origins of this nation or emphasizing Christian elements in U.S. history.

School officials have logged some 3,000 e-mails and more than 350 phone calls about the issue, most from people in other parts of the country, most supporting Williams. Because of the angry tone of some messages, Santa Clara County sheriff's deputies are patrolling the school's perimeter. TV crews parked in front of the school add to the disquiet, parents say.

``This school just isn't the place it used to be,'' said Amy Boyd, mother of four students at the school, none in Williams' class.

Parents' coping strategy: Try to keep things normal for the children's sake.

Years in the making

Even though events of the past few weeks took Williams and the community by surprise, the religious awakening behind his lawsuit has been years in the making.

Williams' lawyers said the 38-year-old teacher would not take additional questions for this article. But a brief interview after a recent television appearance and conversations with parents and others offer a clearer picture of how the suit came out of this Silicon Valley enclave that prides itself on its diversity and inclusiveness.

Williams was born in Madison, Wis., according to a biographical entry in a school yearbook. He grew up in Ithaca, N.Y., and his family moved to San Jose in 1978. He attended Lynbrook High School in San Jose, where he played trombone in the marching band and performed in a school production of ``South Pacific.'' He swam competitively while attending the University of California-Berkeley, where he earned a degree in economics.

He entered teaching, according to the yearbook, after working for an economic consulting firm. While completing his teaching credential, he began working as a substitute teacher in the Cupertino district in 1995 and landed a position at Stevens Creek Elementary in 1998.

Two years ago

Williams began injecting religious references into his daily lessons about two years ago, according to parents and teachers. He had joined New Hope Peninsula Church in San Carlos, where he met his wife. The couple live in Mountain View, have a 5-month-old daughter, and are expecting another child this summer.

``I went through a long process of investigating things, looking into the meaning of the Bible, and asking questions about a higher order,'' he told the Mercury News. ``I was not a Christian most of my life. I was not raised a Christian.''

According to the lawsuit, his handouts came under scrutiny last year when a parent complained that Williams brought religion-based materials to class to elaborate on a discussion about the inclusion of ``under God'' in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Other parents say they've complained on several occasions about other aspects of Williams' teaching over the past two years.

One proposed homework assignment that he says was rejected by the school's principal, Patricia Vidmar, was an exploration of Easter that asked students to read the Bible's Book of Luke from Chapter 22 until the end. Parents obtained copies of the proposed assignment, which never was passed out in class. Williams' lawsuit says his plans for a lesson on Easter were quashed even though he had presented earlier lessons touching on other religious holidays such as Christmas, Ramadan and Diwali without objections from officials.

Suit filed Nov. 22

Williams filed suit Nov. 22 ``to be able to restore the materials so I can accurately teach history.''

``This has struck a nerve with people,'' said the teacher with clean-cut boyish looks. ``Whether you like it or not, there are things in history that are influenced by Christianity and they are a part of accurately teaching history.''

District officials have issued statements saying Williams was not barred from teaching the Declaration of Independence or the U.S. Constitution, as the organization providing his legal aid has claimed. Officials say they are required to uphold the First Amendment, which mandates the separation between church and state.

District officials plan to meet with campus community members Monday to discuss lingering concerns about events of the past few weeks. Some parents said they would speak out at Tuesday's school board meeting.

Some parents criticize Williams for taking the extreme step of filing a lawsuit. He should have taken his discontent to parents and school officials rather than creating negative publicity for the school, they say.

Armineh Noravian, whose son was in Williams' class last year, said, ``Nobody has any qualms about him personally,'' she said. ``He's a very nice man. But he is shoving his agenda down people's throats. It's indoctrination.''

Williams apparently approached a local group that supports such causes and was referred to the Alliance Defense Fund, a Scottsdale, Ariz.-based firm with ties to numerous Christian ministries. The firm is committed to helping people opposed to same-sex marriage and who want to spread the Gospel in public schools.

One parent in Williams' corner says many parents back the teacher, but they are overshadowed by those who have complained about his methods.

The parent, who describes himself as a Christian, asked that his name not be used because of tensions at the school.

Words of support

``I think he's telling it like it is,'' said the parent, whose son is a student in Williams' class. ``We do need to acknowledge the founding documents and their Judeo-Christian background. There is nothing offensive in what he's teaching. My son is comfortable in his class and I hope my other children have him, too.

``I know the kids study about Hanukkah and Ramadan at school,'' he added. ``Why are people so sensitive about Christian teachings?''

Most parents say there is no orchestrated movement to oust Williams from his teaching job. Nor is there an effort to boot Vidmar.

``We have tolerated this for a long time because this is a tolerant community. We have many different ethnic groups and religions,'' said parent Noravian. ``We are not anti-religion and we want people to know we're not these weirdos everybody across the country thinks we are.''