MT Flooding

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

MT Flooding

Post by catatac » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:29 pm

Yikes. If you haven't seen them, Google some of the footage of bridges and roads getting washed out. It's insane. I wonder if Yellowstone National Park is going to shut down for the year. :shock:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: MT Flooding

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:24 am

The photos and videos are unreal.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:10 pm

Yep. Cruel reminder of the dangers of building in a flood plain. I'll never forget the back-to-back 100 year floods of '97-97 in Livingston when I was a kid. The destruction from that cemented in my mind that I would never own buildings on or even very near a waterway. I can't imagine the helpless feeling of those that watched their homes float downstream.

Will be very surprised if the north entrance to the park is open by this time next year.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:57 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:10 pm
Yep. Cruel reminder of the dangers of building in a flood plain. I'll never forget the back-to-back 100 year floods of '97-97 in Livingston when I was a kid. The destruction from that cemented in my mind that I would never own buildings on or even very near a waterway. I can't imagine the helpless feeling of those that watched their homes float downstream.

Will be very surprised if the north entrance to the park is open by this time next year.
Had no idea Livingston was hit in the late 90s. I remember a couple in the 70s but they were mild compared to what this one looks like.

The one picture of what I think is Park housing is amazing. Lots of loss and isolation. Betting the Park will be closed into next year. Wow, just so sad.

What other areas have been hit?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:15 pm

Red Lodge has been hit very hard. No electricity and no drinking water since yesterday. I know churches and others in Cody have been rallying supplies and getting them to the Red Lodge staging area at the rodeo grounds. Cody has not been hit but some flooding near the East Gate but not anything like the Beartooth Mountain runoff areas.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:12 pm

grizzh8r wrote:

Sounds like a handful of the homes that were destroyed were above the 100 year flood plain. Some places reporting this as a 1000 year flood. Super sad for those families.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:57 pm
grizzh8r wrote:

Had no idea Livingston was hit in the late 90s. I remember a couple in the 70s but they were mild compared to what this one looks like.

The one picture of what I think is Park housing is amazing. Lots of loss and isolation. Betting the Park will be closed into next year. Wow, just so sad.

What other areas have been hit?
So far the majority of the flooding has been in southern MT (Gardiner, Red Lodge, etc) but we're watching things pretty closely up here in the Flathead. Kalispell got over 2 inches of rain yesterday, and there was 7" of rain up in the mountains in 24 hours. We'll get our warmest weather of the year on Thursday and Friday and the Flathead is already just over flood stage. With all the recent moisture and our first warm weather of 2022, I expect there will be some scary flooding, particularly near Columbia Falls. Hopefully the worst of it has already happened in the southern part of the state.