MSU Bookstore buys UM bookstore?

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 11494
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

MSU Bookstore buys UM bookstore?

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:50 am

Is this real?

Last edited by wbtfg on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.



Rich K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 am

I can't find that story (yet) but I did find this story from 2018. Declining enrollment .....
I'm not sure why the "GrizFanPod" character is upset as it appears that the MSU Bookstore is rescuing a failing UM Bookstore.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/fact- ... -bookstore
MISSOULA, Mont. — Declining enrollment impacted sales enough that the University of Montana Bookstore had to contract the store out to Barnes and Noble College. A Missoula bookstore is also giving up on the campus space after declining sales.

Fact and Fiction books is owned by the same nonprofit that runs the university bookstore and, for several years, it’s had a space in the campus bookstore where it sold trade books not used for class.

“Unfortunately, sales in that section were also on the decline, so it has shrunk over the years, and we tried to -- as I would say -- right-size it. And nothing was really quite working until we had shrunk it down quite a bit before this transition was decided upon,” said Mara Panich-Crouch, general manager at Fact and Fiction.

Fact and Fiction specializes in highlighting local authors, including university faculty and staff as well as University of Montana press titles.


They will no longer have their location on campus and will be completely separate from the campus bookstore, yet still under the UM Bookstore Foundation.

“We are a for-profit, independent bookstore and they run us as a -- they consider it a community service, because we’re a big part of the literary community and the reading community of Missoula,” said Panich-Crouch.

She says they’re happy to be a local, independent store in downtown Missoula, and they will continue highlighting local authors and books at that location.


Let's Go Brandon!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:54 am

Here's the story from our very own Exponent
https://www.msuexponent.com/news/msu-bo ... 5f7ba.html


Let's Go Brandon!

User avatar
coloradocat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:28 am

So the MSU Bookstore just bought the company that sells the overpriced clothing, not the overpriced course books, right?


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am

I think it’s funny. All they are complaining about is “griz gear.” I guess no one realizes it’s a bookstore and not an apparel store.



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8318
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by John K » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am
I think it’s funny. All they are complaining about is “griz gear.” I guess no one realizes it’s a bookstore and not an apparel store.

Just like most Griz fans don't realize that UM is supposed to be an institution of higher learning, not just a football program.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5368
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 am

John K wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am
I think it’s funny. All they are complaining about is “griz gear.” I guess no one realizes it’s a bookstore and not an apparel store.

Just like most Griz fans don't realize that UM is supposed to be an institution of higher learning, not just a football program.
So funny. The goal is to make the overpriced books students need to have cheaper. No one cares about that. Let’s boycott! :lol:



ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by ibleedblue » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:00 pm

I think there is confusion here as well. The M Store is a downtown store who sells a lot of Griz apparel and is separate from the on-campus “Book store”. I believe the M Store is closing its downtown location so this move is somewhat confusing.



User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:30 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:00 pm
I think there is confusion here as well. The M Store is a downtown store who sells a lot of Griz apparel and is separate from the on-campus “Book store”. I believe the M Store is closing its downtown location so this move is somewhat confusing.
Bahahaha. Griztards!


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:56 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:00 pm
I think there is confusion here as well. The M Store is a downtown store who sells a lot of Griz apparel and is separate from the on-campus “Book store”. I believe the M Store is closing its downtown location so this move is somewhat confusing.
Yes. Thanks for the clarification. The MSU Bookstore bought the for-profit M Store so that griz fans could help pay for textbooks for all MSU students in Bozeman. Clever move. No wonder there is boycott talk. I wonder if the Champions Center or WAgriz is for sale?



Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:04 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:24 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am
I think it’s funny. All they are complaining about is “griz gear.” I guess no one realizes it’s a bookstore and not an apparel store.

Just like most Griz fans don't realize that UM is supposed to be an institution of higher learning, not just a football program.
While we’re calling others out for “not realizing” things, I’d be remiss not to mention whoever started this thread, who apparently didn’t realize that “The M Store” is not “The UM Bookstore.”


I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

User avatar
coloradocat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by coloradocat » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:32 pm

Grizlaw wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:24 pm
John K wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am
I think it’s funny. All they are complaining about is “griz gear.” I guess no one realizes it’s a bookstore and not an apparel store.

Just like most Griz fans don't realize that UM is supposed to be an institution of higher learning, not just a football program.
While we’re calling others out for “not realizing” things, I’d be remiss not to mention whoever started this thread, who apparently didn’t realize that “The M Store” is not “The UM Bookstore.”
Thank god you showed up to comment.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:04 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Re: MSU Bookstore buys UM Bookstore?

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:34 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:32 pm
Grizlaw wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:24 pm
John K wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am
I think it’s funny. All they are complaining about is “griz gear.” I guess no one realizes it’s a bookstore and not an apparel store.

Just like most Griz fans don't realize that UM is supposed to be an institution of higher learning, not just a football program.
While we’re calling others out for “not realizing” things, I’d be remiss not to mention whoever started this thread, who apparently didn’t realize that “The M Store” is not “The UM Bookstore.”
Thank god you showed up to comment.
Likewise.


I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

Post Reply