Border Crisis

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Border Crisis

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:56 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:04 am
RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:43 pm
But we should take cnn, msnbc, npr, etc serious...
I know that you won’t, but they’ve never had their lawyers tell the court that any part of their programming is just for entertainment and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Just pointing out the flaw in Cataholics post. It’s difficult to accuse someone of partisanship with a Fox News link in your post. C’mon man! 😉
Cmonnnnn mannnnnnn! One show host claims that defense about one article and all of a sudden the whole network has nothing of substance. What does that mean for NBC with Brian Williams who was caught red handed lying? How about Joy Reid or many others with MSNBC and CNN? Unbelievable hypocrisy on your part!
Since I wasn’t supporting anything with a link from a network that had to have its lawyers convince a court that any of its network was just for entertainment, I’ll just stand by what I said. Those other outlets didn’t have their lawyers go in and convince a court that any part of their show shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Point being get a source to support your opinions from somewhere that didn’t change its motto from Fair and Balanced. You can use whoever you want to support your opinions, but there’s gotta be another more reputable source out there that you can use, isn’t there?

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 pm
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I know that you won’t, but they’ve never had their lawyers tell the court that any part of their programming is just for entertainment and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Just pointing out the flaw in Cataholics post. It’s difficult to accuse someone of partisanship with a Fox News link in your post. C’mon man! 😉
Cmonnnnn mannnnnnn! One show host claims that defense about one article and all of a sudden the whole network has nothing of substance. What does that mean for NBC with Brian Williams who was caught red handed lying? How about Joy Reid or many others with MSNBC and CNN? Unbelievable hypocrisy on your part!
Since I wasn’t supporting anything with a link from a network that had to have its lawyers convince a court that any of its network was just for entertainment, I’ll just stand by what I said. Those other outlets didn’t have their lawyers go in and convince a court that any part of their show shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Point being get a source to support your opinions from somewhere that didn’t change its motto from Fair and Balanced. You can use whoever you want to support your opinions, but there’s gotta be another more reputable source out there that you can use, isn’t there?
What an absolute cop out on your part. Please show me something in these Fox News articles that was not true.

What is really troubling to me with your viewpoint is that you want to minimize the crisis at the border so bad just because it makes your party look bad. You are simply finding any reason to ignore the crisis that is unfolding. That is really sad.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:28 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:38 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

What an absolute cop out on your part. Please show me something in these Fox News articles that was not true.

What is really troubling to me with your viewpoint is that you want to minimize the crisis at the border so bad just because it makes your party look bad. You are simply finding any reason to ignore the crisis that is unfolding. That is really sad.
I think it is the Donna TX site that has room for 200 and there are 5700. Yep, must be Trumps fault.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:14 am

The cartels/smugglers are loving the new border policies.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... olicy.html

https://evansnewsreport.com/2021/04/01/ ... he-border/

Hard/impossible to find any articles from the left...

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PortlandCat90 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:25 pm

On Wednesday, Gianforte signed legislation banning sanctuary cities in Montana.

In his statement, he provided a simple explanation as to why he signed off on the bill and made it official law:

"We are a nation of laws, and immigration laws will be enforced in Montana," Gianforte said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1fd9si

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:45 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:25 pm

In his statement, he provided a simple explanation as to why he signed off on the bill and made it official law:

"We are a nation of laws, and immigration laws will be enforced in Montana," Gianforte said.

AMEN to Gianforte...

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:11 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:45 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:25 pm

AMEN to Gianforte...
Was there a city/town in Montana seriously suggesting they were going to become a sanctuary city? Or is this just another GOP scare tactic (make a big deal about a non-issue)?
South Dakota's Governor used a scare tactic to get in the national news. She has pushed for the ban of transgender high school athletes from sports when it has occurred 1 time in 10 years. Of course everything feel apart when she started back pedaling with pressure from Amazon, NCAA and the Chamber of Commerce. :roll:

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PortlandCat90 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 am

Where is Kamala?

Moving towards 2 1/2 months in office and no input, plan, discussion or showing of the face by VP Harris on the border crisis. Moving towards 2 weeks since POTUS Biden named her as lead on the border crisis. Still nothing besides her video laughing at the situation.

Her quote from the 2020 Democratic debate:
“I will immediately put in place a meaningful process for reviewing the cases for asylum and release children from cages and get rid of the private detention centers," Harris replied. "And ensure that this microphone that the president of the United States holds in her hand is used in a way that is about reflecting the values of our country and not about locking children up.”

I guess once elected all those promises go out the window?

Sadly, a clip of a 3- and 5-year old girl dropped over the wall during the crisis:
https://news.yahoo.com/officials-smuggl ... 06267.html

She has not visited the border and has no plans to do so:
“Vice President Kamala Harris won’t be on the ground at the Southwest border anytime soon as she leads efforts to address a rise in migrants trying to enter the country,” The Associated Press reported. “Harris has no plans to visit the U.S.-Mexico border region ‘in the near future,’ spokeswoman Symone Sanders said Friday.”

“The vice president is not doing the border,” Sanders said.

She is, however, visiting her newly remodeled kitchen after being frustrated with the timing of the renovations of the VP quarters. Apparently, the $3.8 million of renovations have taken too long:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/politics ... index.html

I guess living temporarily in the Blair House doesn't compare to a 22x capacity living conditions in Donna, but hey, she's been voted into the position and didn't ask for such unlivable conditions.

Priorities, priorities.

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PortlandCat90 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 am

"Was there a city/town in Montana seriously suggesting they were going to become a sanctuary city? Or is this just another GOP scare tactic (make a big deal about a non-issue)? "

Bozeman, 2017. Took the first steps and received the Mayoral proclamation. Had no opposition during the city council meeting.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 am
"Was there a city/town in Montana seriously suggesting they were going to become a sanctuary city? Or is this just another GOP scare tactic (make a big deal about a non-issue)? "

Bozeman, 2017. Took the first steps and received the Mayoral proclamation. Had no opposition during the city council meeting.
Okay, so 4 years ago. You said first step; what are the subsequent steps? I am not familiar with the process.

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PortlandCat90 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 am
PortlandCat90 wrote:

Okay, so 4 years ago. You said first step; what are the subsequent steps? I am not familiar with the process.
I believe it's an individual city component passed by the city council. Bozeman, if I remember correctly, had enough support (or, not enough opposition at the time) but the council passed a Mayoral Proclamation instead. I don't know the ins and outs, but a Mayoral Proclamation is similar to telling everyone that we have the values but don't have the law.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:49 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am
The Butcher wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

I believe it's an individual city component passed by the city council. Bozeman, if I remember correctly, had enough support (or, not enough opposition at the time) but the council passed a Mayoral Proclamation instead. I don't know the ins and outs, but a Mayoral Proclamation is similar to telling everyone that we have the values but don't have the law.
Got it.
So maybe Gianforte was really concerned about a proclamation made 4 years ago by 1 city in Montana, or perhaps it was more of a politically motivated decision for his own ambitions.
I generally feel that "solving" problems that don't exist is more self-serving than actually governing.
:shrug:

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PortlandCat90 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:57 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:49 am
PortlandCat90 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

Got it.
So maybe Gianforte was really concerned about a proclamation made 4 years ago by 1 city in Montana, or perhaps it was more of a politically motivated decision for his own ambitions.
I generally feel that "solving" problems that don't exist is more self-serving than actually governing.
Maybe he was doing exactly what he said in his quote: "We are a nation of laws, and immigration laws will be enforced in Montana."

To close one's eyes and keep pretending that the immigration laws aren't being enforced by our current federal administration is a choice, I guess.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:27 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 am
Where is Kamala?

Moving towards 2 1/2 months in office and no input, plan, discussion or showing of the face by VP Harris on the border crisis. Moving towards 2 weeks since POTUS Biden named her as lead on the border crisis. Still nothing besides her video laughing at the situation.

“I will immediately put in place a meaningful process for reviewing the cases for asylum and release children from cages and get rid of the private detention centers," Harris replied. "And ensure that this microphone that the president of the United States holds in her hand is used in a way that is about reflecting the values of our country and not about locking children up.”

Sadly, a clip of a 3- and 5-year old girl dropped over the wall during the crisis:

“Vice President Kamala Harris won’t be on the ground at the Southwest border anytime soon as she leads efforts to address a rise in migrants trying to enter the country,” The Associated Press reported. “Harris has no plans to visit the U.S.-Mexico border region ‘in the near future,’ spokeswoman Symone Sanders said Friday.”

She is, however, visiting her newly remodeled kitchen after being frustrated with the timing of the renovations of the VP quarters. Apparently, the $3.8 million of renovations have taken too long:

I guess living temporarily in the Blair House doesn't compare to a 22x capacity living conditions in Donna, but hey, she's been voted into the position and didn't ask for such unlivable conditions.

Priorities, priorities.
Good question, it's disappointing how quiet she is on this problem. I always believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, and in this interview she said she is for border security, so let's hear the plan - now that you don't have the luxury of sitting back and slamming Trump for his approaches to solve this monstrous problem.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:08 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:57 am

Maybe he was doing exactly what he said in his quote: "We are a nation of laws, and immigration laws will be enforced in Montana."

To close one's eyes and keep pretending that the immigration laws aren't being enforced by our current federal administration is a choice, I guess.
Sanctuary cities are not breaking the law. So that statement is misleading at best. Again, Gianforte’s intention seems politically motivated. Frankly, in most cases the approach of a "sanctuary city" seems from a liability standpoint a better stance to protect cities and police departments from discrimination and unlawful imprisonment lawsuits. I imagine most cities and towns in Montana operate more like a sanctuary city right now than you would suspect.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:26 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:08 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:57 am

Sanctuary cities are not breaking the law. So that statement is misleading at best. Again, Gianforte’s intention seems politically motivated. Frankly, in most cases the approach of a "sanctuary city" seems from a liability standpoint a better stance to protect cities and police departments from discrimination and unlawful imprisonment lawsuits. I imagine most cities and towns in Montana operate more like a sanctuary city right now than you would suspect.
Sanctuary cities do not enforce specific federal laws. They do not cooperate with federal authorities. I guess a liberal could claim that is “not breaking the law”, but those jurisdictions are certainly not enforcing federal law.

And your “concern” that “sanctuary city policy” is meant to protect those entities from discriminate unlawful imprisonment lawsuits is idiotic. Where do you come up with that rhetoric?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:29 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:27 am
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 am
Where is Kamala?

Priorities, priorities.
Good question, it's disappointing how quiet she is on this problem. I always believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, and in this interview she said she is for border security, so let's hear the plan - now that you don't have the luxury of sitting back and slamming Trump for his approaches to solve this monstrous problem.

Biden putting Kamala I charge of this border situation is an absolute joke. Democrats have to be shaking their heads at how bad this has been handled.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:31 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:49 am
PortlandCat90 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

Got it.
The federal government was looking at sending illegal immigrants into northern states that border Canada. Montana was specifically mentioned as one of the options. It would seem that Gianforte is making it clear that illegals will be sent back to their country per federal law.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Tom - Gonna hold your feet to the fire here. What was not true in these Fox News articles?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:32 pm
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Tom - Gonna hold your feet to the fire here. What was not true in these Fox News articles?
No problem. You aren’t holding my feet to the fire since I didn’t read them as their content wasn’t the point or purpose of my post.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber