Montana newspapers decline

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Montana newspapers decline

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:49 pm

There are now four Montana newspapers being printed in Helena. Helena IR, Missoulian, GF Tribune and MT (Butte) Standard. Helena used to have a circulation of about 15,000, now it's 5,000. I think Butte was similar. Not sure, but I have to think that the Tribune was up around 40,000 just a WAG. Missoulian was probably around 25-30 thousand, another WAG. Not sure if they're all still falling, but I've have to think so. I think a majority of subscribers are in the 50+ crowd. I also don't how much is being picked up online.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Montana newspapers decline

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:03 pm

I can only comment on the Tribune. When I started my subscription about six years ago, they were still a paper, two floors of busy people. Then the rates went up 25% for a couple years, then 36%. I went to their doors to cancel, and they were locked, with a sign on the door stating the few business hours they would be open. At the appointed time, I returned. I saw an entirely empty first floor, and, following the signs, a mostly empty second floor, maybe 10-12 people. I canceled and left.
One of my neighbors had been a carrier for over 30 years. He told me his business lost 300 subscribers over that last rate increase. He quit. The Tribune must have lost many carriers, as they mailed out advertising wanting carriers. Even the physical size of the paper became smaller.
During this collapse, Mansch retired. So much for sports. I think his last piece was an interview with the former Golden Triangle Classic organizers. An end of their time as well as his.
The Tribune never could get many facts straight, but they do not follow up on stories. I guess there is no one left to do so. I called them about a particular incident and asked them why there was no follow-up. I got a non-response response. Missing children stories are not important. Alls well that ends well. The Tribune is now the USA Today - Montana copy. Absolutely pathetic.

Montana journalism is dead.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana newspapers decline

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:33 am

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:03 pm
I can only comment on the Tribune. When I started my subscription about six years ago, they were still a paper, two floors of busy people. Then the rates went up 25% for a couple years, then 36%. I went to their doors to cancel, and they were locked, with a sign on the door stating the few business hours they would be open. At the appointed time, I returned. I saw an entirely empty first floor, and, following the signs, a mostly empty second floor, maybe 10-12 people. I canceled and left.
One of my neighbors had been a carrier for over 30 years. He told me his business lost 300 subscribers over that last rate increase. He quit. The Tribune must have lost many carriers, as they mailed out advertising wanting carriers. Even the physical size of the paper became smaller.
During this collapse, Mansch retired. So much for sports. I think his last piece was an interview with the former Golden Triangle Classic organizers. An end of their time as well as his.
The Tribune never could get many facts straight, but they do not follow up on stories. I guess there is no one left to do so. I called them about a particular incident and asked them why there was no follow-up. I got a non-response response. Missing children stories are not important. Alls well that ends well. The Tribune is now the USA Today - Montana copy. Absolutely pathetic.

Montana journalism is dead.
I don't think Montana journalism is dead at all. I just think the print forum that it gets presented, similar to the rest of the world, is archaic and can't compete. Very few people are waiting for the newspaper to arrive in the morning to get any news out of it. It may contain a feature or some strictly local news that, but even most of that gets sent to Twitter, Facebook, et al prior to the printed paper arriving on your doorstep. There was a time when you got about 1 hour of televised national news and 1 hour of televised local news, zero hours of Internet (it didn't exist) news, and news-on-the-hour via radio, which lasted all of 1-2 minutes. Now there are numerous 24-hour news channels on TV, the Internet has hundreds of outlets and the radio has stations dedicated to the news.

It may seem expensive, but I think the print media industry has a good handle on its supply-demand models for its printed editions. I don't think the cost is the main factor. It's just become outdated.