10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14767
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:05 pm



MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10728
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by wbtfg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 pm

Unbelievably sad.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14767
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:32 pm



MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:32 pm
I read some of Elizabeth Hernandez’s other tweets. She did a remarkable job describing the scene. Horrifying scene.



User avatar
BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3710
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/boulder-c ... DykvoY5OJs

Horrific.

Also looks like his sister said he was a nice and quiet boy....


I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:57 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
https://www.thedailybeast.com/boulder-c ... DykvoY5OJs

Horrific.

Also looks like his sister said he was a nice and quiet boy....
Or maybe if we had somehow vetted Ahmad Al Aliwi Al-Issa more carefully this may not have happened. He was thought to be very anti-social. His brother says he was mentally ill, disturbed and paranoid...
Last edited by RickRund on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6365
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:47 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:57 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
https://www.thedailybeast.com/boulder-c ... DykvoY5OJs

Horrific.

Also looks like his sister said he was a nice and quiet boy....
Or maybe if we had somehow vetted Ahmad Al Aliwi Al-Issa more carefully this may not have happened. He was thought to be very anti-social. His brother days he was mentally ill, disturbed and paranoid...
Agreed. You'd think that after having lived here for 20? years, that someone would've known he was anti-social.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5055
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:47 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:57 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
https://www.thedailybeast.com/boulder-c ... DykvoY5OJs

Horrific.

Also looks like his sister said he was a nice and quiet boy....
Or maybe if we had somehow vetted Ahmad Al Aliwi Al-Issa more carefully this may not have happened. He was thought to be very anti-social. His brother days he was mentally ill, disturbed and paranoid...
Agreed. You'd think that after having lived here for 20? years, that someone would've known he was anti-social.
Like these things usually go, I'm sure more people who used to know him will come out and say similar things. It's frustrating to always have a clearer view of the shooter after the shooting is done. And then it seems so obvious.

That said, 1000 people could come forward saying that he was anti-social and it doesn't mean that anything could or should have been done based on that alone. I have known many anti-social people and would be as shocked as anyone if any of them got to the point of killing someone.

The frustrating thing about all of these shootings for me is that the emphasis immediately goes to gun control. If we don't figure out a better way to handle mental health issues in this country, gun control means diddly squat. Are we to believe that people who have snapped like this latest guy wouldn't be able to get his hands on a gun if he wanted? If a person wants to cause harm on others, they will find a way to do just that. The solution in my eyes would to be to reach these people and help them before they get to that breaking point.

I don't have many answers, but I would like to see more being done in regards to bullying in our schools. It seems that every single time this crap happens you learn about the perpetrators and every time they had been victims of bullying. Like everything else, bullying has evolved. It's not our mom and dads bullying if you will. Social media has completely changed the game. You're no longer safe from bullies once the final bell of the day rings. Often, nights and weekends are where the bullying is worse. And it's no longer a kid or two doing the bullying, but now it can be huge groups of people ganging up on one or a few. With kids in high school, I have seen this firsthand. It's brutal right now. And until we get to a point where NO bullying is tolerated, we'll always run the risk of a person finally exploding with pent-up rage.

This is not meant to say that these egregious acts are due to bullying alone. But it seems to be one common factor in all of these sad stories. I'd like to see the book thrown at bullies. Make them actually FEAR being caught bullying others. Until that happens it will continue. When was the last time you read about the star athlete, or smartest student, or very popular student going on to be a mass shooter? I can't say I recall a single one. It's always the "odd" kid. The loner. The quiet kid who was bullied. We have to begin thinking of ways to eliminate the "odd quiet loner" in my personal opinion.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6365
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:37 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:47 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:57 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
https://www.thedailybeast.com/boulder-c ... DykvoY5OJs

Horrific.

Also looks like his sister said he was a nice and quiet boy....
Or maybe if we had somehow vetted Ahmad Al Aliwi Al-Issa more carefully this may not have happened. He was thought to be very anti-social. His brother days he was mentally ill, disturbed and paranoid...
Agreed. You'd think that after having lived here for 20? years, that someone would've known he was anti-social.
Like these things usually go, I'm sure more people who used to know him will come out and say similar things. It's frustrating to always have a clearer view of the shooter after the shooting is done. And then it seems so obvious.

That said, 1000 people could come forward saying that he was anti-social and it doesn't mean that anything could or should have been done based on that alone. I have known many anti-social people and would be as shocked as anyone if any of them got to the point of killing someone.

The frustrating thing about all of these shootings for me is that the emphasis immediately goes to gun control. If we don't figure out a better way to handle mental health issues in this country, gun control means diddly squat. Are we to believe that people who have snapped like this latest guy wouldn't be able to get his hands on a gun if he wanted? If a person wants to cause harm on others, they will find a way to do just that. The solution in my eyes would to be to reach these people and help them before they get to that breaking point.

I don't have many answers, but I would like to see more being done in regards to bullying in our schools. It seems that every single time this crap happens you learn about the perpetrators and every time they had been victims of bullying. Like everything else, bullying has evolved. It's not our mom and dads bullying if you will. Social media has completely changed the game. You're no longer safe from bullies once the final bell of the day rings. Often, nights and weekends are where the bullying is worse. And it's no longer a kid or two doing the bullying, but now it can be huge groups of people ganging up on one or a few. With kids in high school, I have seen this firsthand. It's brutal right now. And until we get to a point where NO bullying is tolerated, we'll always run the risk of a person finally exploding with pent-up rage.

This is not meant to say that these egregious acts are due to bullying alone. But it seems to be one common factor in all of these sad stories. I'd like to see the book thrown at bullies. Make them actually FEAR being caught bullying others. Until that happens it will continue. When was the last time you read about the star athlete, or smartest student, or very popular student going on to be a mass shooter? I can't say I recall a single one. It's always the "odd" kid. The loner. The quiet kid who was bullied. We have to begin thinking of ways to eliminate the "odd quiet loner" in my personal opinion.
I don't like bullies, but it seems like there were less shootings back before they had bullying rules in the schools. Not saying this because I think more bullies makes for less crazy killers, but just that it's hard to put your finger on the source.

Tex Watson (Manson family) was an honor student, editor of the school paper, and captain of the football team in high school. Charles Whitman (Univ. of Texas tower sniper) was noted for his intelligence in high school. But that was back in the 60s-70s.

John Kennedy the senator from Louisiana says we should focus more on auto deaths or something like that.

Is there a trend between the number of gun owners and the number of mass murder shootings? Seems like the more people that own guns, the more people that get killed by guns, but that's just my own observation.

Either way gun control or anti-bullying. I don't think we'll ever get anything accomplished in this area. Just something you have to live with.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6365
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm

Boulder, Colorado passed an assault weapons ban in 2018.

The NRA sued the city and a judge struck down the ban 10 days ago.

The Boulder shooter bought the gun 6 days before the shooting.



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm
Boulder, Colorado passed an assault weapons ban in 2018.

The NRA sued the city and a judge struck down the ban 10 days ago.

The Boulder shooter bought the gun 6 days before the shooting.
The judge ruled that the city of Boulder does not have the legal authority to ban weapons because they are superseded by state law in Colorado. The state controls that authority.

It appears that you are trying to make a case that this shooting was a direct result of the ban being stricken down.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6365
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm
Boulder, Colorado passed an assault weapons ban in 2018.

The NRA sued the city and a judge struck down the ban 10 days ago.

The Boulder shooter bought the gun 6 days before the shooting.
The judge ruled that the city of Boulder does not have the legal authority to ban weapons because they are superseded by state law in Colorado. The state controls that authority.

It appears that you are trying to make a case that this shooting was a direct result of the ban being stricken down.
Just pointing it out. No more than you appear to be making a case that it had nothing to do with it.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:41 pm

An assault weapons ban???

Question: what is an assault weapon?



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm
Boulder, Colorado passed an assault weapons ban in 2018.

The NRA sued the city and a judge struck down the ban 10 days ago.

The Boulder shooter bought the gun 6 days before the shooting.
The judge ruled that the city of Boulder does not have the legal authority to ban weapons because they are superseded by state law in Colorado. The state controls that authority.

It appears that you are trying to make a case that this shooting was a direct result of the ban being stricken down.
Just pointing it out. No more than you appear to be making a case that it had nothing to do with it.
I am just trying to figure how the two are related. Maybe you can explain? Did the shooter purchase the gun in Boulder? Did he hear about the ban being struck down in Boulder and decide to drive to Boulder to buy his weapons even though that ban did not exist where he lived? Did he specifically choose Boulder for the shootings and drive 30 miles from Arvada because there was no ban on assault weapons? Please explain... or maybe it is the Democrats taking another tragedy and manipulating facts to push an agenda - in this instance, gun control.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:16 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm
Boulder, Colorado passed an assault weapons ban in 2018.

The NRA sued the city and a judge struck down the ban 10 days ago.

The Boulder shooter bought the gun 6 days before the shooting.
The judge ruled that the city of Boulder does not have the legal authority to ban weapons because they are superseded by state law in Colorado. The state controls that authority.

It appears that you are trying to make a case that this shooting was a direct result of the ban being stricken down.
Just pointing it out. No more than you appear to be making a case that it had nothing to do with it.
I am just trying to figure how the two are related. Maybe you can explain? Did the shooter purchase the gun in Boulder? Did he hear about the ban being struck down in Boulder and decide to drive to Boulder to buy his weapons even though that ban did not exist where he lived? Did he specifically choose Boulder for the shootings and drive 30 miles from Arvada because there was no ban on assault weapons? Please explain... or maybe it is the Democrats taking another tragedy and manipulating facts to push an agenda - in this instance, gun control.
Oh good grief, the dependentocrats would never manipulate facts. How could you say such a heinous remark. Waiting for the comeback on this :)



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6365
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:21 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm
Boulder, Colorado passed an assault weapons ban in 2018.

The NRA sued the city and a judge struck down the ban 10 days ago.

The Boulder shooter bought the gun 6 days before the shooting.
The judge ruled that the city of Boulder does not have the legal authority to ban weapons because they are superseded by state law in Colorado. The state controls that authority.

It appears that you are trying to make a case that this shooting was a direct result of the ban being stricken down.
Just pointing it out. No more than you appear to be making a case that it had nothing to do with it.
I am just trying to figure how the two are related. Maybe you can explain? Did the shooter purchase the gun in Boulder? Did he hear about the ban being struck down in Boulder and decide to drive to Boulder to buy his weapons even though that ban did not exist where he lived? Did he specifically choose Boulder for the shootings and drive 30 miles from Arvada because there was no ban on assault weapons? Please explain... or maybe it is the Democrats taking another tragedy and manipulating facts to push an agenda - in this instance, gun control.
Let me know what you find out.

They might, or might not, be related. If I thought they were, I'd say, "look at this. The NRA got the courts to remove the law and just days later a guy buys an AR15 and kills 10 people, which is the sole cause of this tragic event." If I said that then I would explain.

Are you saying they're definitely not related? You seem to be. Please enlighten everyone with your acumen.



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:07 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm
Boulder, Colorado passed an assault weapons ban in 2018.

The NRA sued the city and a judge struck down the ban 10 days ago.

The Boulder shooter bought the gun 6 days before the shooting.
The judge ruled that the city of Boulder does not have the legal authority to ban weapons because they are superseded by state law in Colorado. The state controls that authority.

It appears that you are trying to make a case that this shooting was a direct result of the ban being stricken down.
Just pointing it out. No more than you appear to be making a case that it had nothing to do with it.
I am just trying to figure how the two are related. Maybe you can explain? Did the shooter purchase the gun in Boulder? Did he hear about the ban being struck down in Boulder and decide to drive to Boulder to buy his weapons even though that ban did not exist where he lived? Did he specifically choose Boulder for the shootings and drive 30 miles from Arvada because there was no ban on assault weapons? Please explain... or maybe it is the Democrats taking another tragedy and manipulating facts to push an agenda - in this instance, gun control.
Let me know what you find out.

They might, or might not, be related. If I thought they were, I'd say, "look at this. The NRA got the courts to remove the law and just days later a guy buys an AR15 and kills 10 people, which is the sole cause of this tragic event." If I said that then I would explain.

Are you saying they're definitely not related? You seem to be. Please enlighten everyone with your acumen.
Cmon man! How gullible do you think your audience is? You wrote your comments about the Boulder assault weapons ban in a thread on the Boulder shootings. Now you are claiming that you didn't imply that the two are related? ](*,) ](*,) :lol: :lol: :lol: Where do you come up with this stuff?

And I provided multiple questions above that you completely ignored. The answers to the questions are obvious, as they were meant to illustrate the lack of any connection between the ban and the actual shooting.

The Democrat playbook has become so predictable when it comes to events like this. They will take various issues, related or not, and manipulate them to further their agenda. This was a mental illness tragedy that Democrats will turn into a gun control issue. The Atlanta shootings last week were turned into a racial issue, even though the shooter was not motivated by race. As further evidence of the Democrat's motives, Biden is now threatening to take executive action to ban assault weapons.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14767
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:52 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:07 pm
[quote=iaafan post_id=726974 time=<a href="tel:1616548873">1616548873</a> user_id=170]
[quote=Cataholic post_id=726968 time=<a href="tel:1616543701">1616543701</a> user_id=21338]
[quote=iaafan post_id=726963 time=<a href="tel:1616541678">1616541678</a> user_id=170]
[quote=Cataholic post_id=726959 time=<a href="tel:1616539658">1616539658</a> user_id=21338]
[quote=iaafan post_id=726952 time=<a href="tel:1616536083">1616536083</a> user_id=170]
Boulder, Colorado passed an assault weapons ban in 2018.

The NRA sued the city and a judge struck down the ban 10 days ago.

The Boulder shooter bought the gun 6 days before the shooting.
The judge ruled that the city of Boulder does not have the legal authority to ban weapons because they are superseded by state law in Colorado. The state controls that authority.

It appears that you are trying to make a case that this shooting was a direct result of the ban being stricken down.
[/quote]
Just pointing it out. No more than you appear to be making a case that it had nothing to do with it.

[/quote]

I am just trying to figure how the two are related. Maybe you can explain? Did the shooter purchase the gun in Boulder? Did he hear about the ban being struck down in Boulder and decide to drive to Boulder to buy his weapons even though that ban did not exist where he lived? Did he specifically choose Boulder for the shootings and drive 30 miles from Arvada because there was no ban on assault weapons? Please explain... or maybe it is the Democrats taking another tragedy and manipulating facts to push an agenda - in this instance, gun control.
[/quote]
Let me know what you find out.

They might, or might not, be related. If I thought they were, I'd say, "look at this. The NRA got the courts to remove the law and just days later a guy buys an AR15 and kills 10 people, which is the sole cause of this tragic event." If I said that then I would explain.

Are you saying they're definitely not related? You seem to be. Please enlighten everyone with your acumen.
[/quote]

Cmon man! How gullible do you think your audience is? You wrote your comments about the Boulder assault weapons ban in a thread on the Boulder shootings. Now you are claiming that you didn't imply that the two are related? ](*,) ](*,) :lol: :lol: :lol: Where do you come up with this stuff?

And I provided multiple questions above that you completely ignored. The answers to the questions are obvious, as they were meant to illustrate the lack of any connection between the ban and the actual shooting.

The Democrat playbook has become so predictable when it comes to events like this. They will take various issues, related or not, and manipulate them to further their agenda. This was a mental illness tragedy that Democrats will turn into a gun control issue. The Atlanta shootings last week were turned into a racial issue, even though the shooter was not motivated by race. As further evidence of the Democrat's motives, Biden is now threatening to take executive action to ban assault weapons.
[/quote]
I didn’t infer that he was implying that. It’s been reported by every news outlet. I don’t have a problem with someone thinking it did or didn’t cause what happened at this point since the facts aren’t all out yet. People are allowed to speculate.

You’re overreaching here in an attempt to get anyone that isn’t on your side to look partisan. Makes you look just as, if not more, partisan.

Bottom line is guns are a wedge issue. The whole point is to cement the two party system in place. Very few Democrats and Republicans in office care if there’s gun control or not. They run on it is all. People need to open their eyes.

My advice is to start a third party for the middle class that identifies and then ignores wedge issues.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5055
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 am

We'll just keep making guns the number one issue when these shootings happen and never discuss what makes the shooter reach their breaking point. Shootings will keep happening, and guns will keep being the talking point.

It's like spending billions of dollars in the prison system while ignoring education issues and then acting shocked when poorly educated kids with no shot in life end up in prison.

Man we do things backwards in this country sometimes.



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: 10 dead in Boulder, Colo. shooting

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:41 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 am
We'll just keep making guns the number one issue when these shootings happen and never discuss what makes the shooter reach their breaking point. Shootings will keep happening, and guns will keep being the talking point.

It's like spending billions of dollars in the prison system while ignoring education issues and then acting shocked when poorly educated kids with no shot in life end up in prison.

Man we do things backwards in this country sometimes.
Exactly!!!



Post Reply