energy independence and what it means to you

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

energy independence and what it means to you

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:35 pm

I've been talking a lot with people about what energy independence means and the role of fossil fuels and "clean" energy solutions in our future lives.

What does it mean to you? How do we solve our energy issues (production, price, reusability, environment impact)?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/biden ... ependence/ Article for those that will try and politicize the question. Hopefully we can just debate ideas.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: energy independence and what it means to you

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:20 pm

It is pretty hard to discuss this topic without introducing some political discussion. The plain truth is that governmental policy can have a huge effect on the demand of fuels. Just look at Keystone Pipeline or Dakota Access Pipeline and how political actions have changed those markets. Just today, the first city in the country, Petaluma, CA, banned the construction of any new gas stations. This is the next step in making fossil fuel vehicles less attractive or convenient to operate. Next we will see taxes and surcharges placed on fossil fuel vehicles making them less attractive to purchase. All of these actions are taking aim at fossil fuels.

From a personal perspective, most of my clients are in the petroleum industry. If they struggle, it directly impacts my livelihood. I am one of hundred of thousands that will be negatively impacted if fossil fuels go away. It is one reason I have been so vocal on this topic.

As for energy independence, it has been an economic boon for our country. The question you posed is how do we solve our energy issues? My response would be what energy issue? We are already one of the cleanest energy producers in the world! Let’s continue to invest in clean energy, but let it develop according to what commercial demand for the product is needed. As solar and wind get more technologically advanced, they will become more economic and maybe become a preferred and economic alternative to fossil fuels. Electric vehicles are a great example. Just 10 years ago, the technology was so raw that only the rich could own one. Now the technology has advanced to a point that pricing is competitive with gasoline vehicles.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:22 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:20 pm
It is pretty hard to discuss this topic without introducing some political discussion. The plain truth is that governmental policy can have a huge effect on the demand of fuels. Just look at Keystone Pipeline or Dakota Access Pipeline and how political actions have changed those markets. Just today, the first city in the country, Petaluma, CA, banned the construction of any new gas stations. This is the next step in making fossil fuel vehicles less attractive or convenient to operate. Next we will see taxes and surcharges placed on fossil fuel vehicles making them less attractive to purchase. All of these actions are taking aim at fossil fuels.

From a personal perspective, most of my clients are in the petroleum industry. If they struggle, it directly impacts my livelihood. I am one of hundred of thousands that will be negatively impacted if fossil fuels go away. It is one reason I have been so vocal on this topic.

As for energy independence, it has been an economic boon for our country. The question you posed is how do we solve our energy issues? My response would be what energy issue? We are already one of the cleanest energy producers in the world! Let’s continue to invest in clean energy, but let it develop according to what commercial demand for the product is needed. As solar and wind get more technologically advanced, they will become more economic and maybe become a preferred and economic alternative to fossil fuels. Electric vehicles are a great example. Just 10 years ago, the technology was so raw that only the rich could own one. Now the technology has advanced to a point that pricing is competitive with gasoline vehicles.
But I wonder what the long term, end game is here? Currently with the alternative energy technologies... isn't it basically a farce that it's better for the environment? I mean I think we could get there at some point, especially if there are technology breakthroughs. But, I look at things like, you're plugging in your electric car but the plug in is coming from a power grid that is powered by natural gas or coal, of wind, but if wind... those things take a lot of oil\grease to run, and I believe only make sense if there are big governments subsidies, just like solar. Then I think perhaps the answer is nuclear power? Maybe there will be a breakthrough with fusion\fission or something and at some point we truly will have sustainable, renewable energy that is light on the environment but I feel we are decades if not centuries away from that? I admit I don't know a lot about all the inner workings and behind the scenes things that come into play here.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:18 pm

The theme of energy independence will hit home about the time the price of gas is somewhere between $6-$10 a gallon, IF you can find it. You who voted for it, you're gonna get it. Like a dry corn cob up your wazzu, no KY.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:56 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:18 pm
The theme of energy independence, with Biden and the communist left running the show, will hit home about the time the price of gas is somewhere between $6-$10 a gallon, IF you can find it. You who voted for it, you're gonna get it. Like a dry corn cob up your wazzu, no KY.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."