More Covid Data

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:23 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Why would there be a requirement to wear a mask for something that we have a vaccine for?
Because despite the vaccine tens of thousand of people die of the flu every year?

And masks would save the lives of tens of thousands of people?

And because we're being told we may have to wear masks into 2022 despite the fact that we have a covid vaccine?

Just off the top of my head. But I care about saving lives. :wink:
Tens of thousands of people of which most didn't get the shot and which isn't 600,000/year when wearing masks, etc.
So people ARE wearing masks! I've been told countless times we're in this crappy predicament because people are being petty and childish and not wearing masks. This helps clear things up a bit for me. Viruses are gonna virus. =D^



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:44 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:23 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Why would there be a requirement to wear a mask for something that we have a vaccine for?
Because despite the vaccine tens of thousand of people die of the flu every year?

And masks would save the lives of tens of thousands of people?

And because we're being told we may have to wear masks into 2022 despite the fact that we have a covid vaccine?

Just off the top of my head. But I care about saving lives. :wink:
Tens of thousands of people of which most didn't get the shot and which isn't 600,000/year when wearing masks, etc.
So people ARE wearing masks! I've been told countless times we're in this crappy predicament because people are being petty and childish and not wearing masks. This helps clear things up a bit for me. Viruses are gonna virus. =D^
Yes, people are wearing masks. People are also being petty and childish and not wearing masks. The more that people wear masks, the less the virus will spread. The less they wear masks the less it will spread. The sole reason we're in this predicament isn't because people aren't wearing masks. Viruses aren't gonna virus as much as they'd like to if people wear masks. Hope that clears it up even more.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:49 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:44 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:23 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Why would there be a requirement to wear a mask for something that we have a vaccine for?
Because despite the vaccine tens of thousand of people die of the flu every year?

And masks would save the lives of tens of thousands of people?

And because we're being told we may have to wear masks into 2022 despite the fact that we have a covid vaccine?

Just off the top of my head. But I care about saving lives. :wink:
Tens of thousands of people of which most didn't get the shot and which isn't 600,000/year when wearing masks, etc.
So people ARE wearing masks! I've been told countless times we're in this crappy predicament because people are being petty and childish and not wearing masks. This helps clear things up a bit for me. Viruses are gonna virus. =D^
Yes, people are wearing masks. People are also being petty and childish and not wearing masks. The more that people wear masks, the less the virus will spread. The less they wear masks the less it will spread. The sole reason we're in this predicament isn't because people aren't wearing masks. Viruses aren't gonna virus as much as they'd like to if people wear masks. Hope that clears it up even more.
It does. That's why I think good people should continue wearing masks forever so viruses don't virus as much and kill people. Seeing people die of ANY virus that could be prevented by mask wearing is really tough to see.

Thanks



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6528
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:52 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:52 pm
First and foremost, I blame individuals. We all make decisions on how to act regardless of what the government tells us, and millions of people are acting like petulant, spoiled, selfish children right now. I don't care if there is a mask mandate or not, I wear one everywhere I go. And I will not patronize businesses who are not trying to enforce some kind of masking and distancing; on the flip side, I go out of my way to support businesses that are.
I have asked before but has there been any research or surveys in regards to mask-wearing and its impact on the virus? Not whether or not masks work (they do) but rather if the spread of the virus is due to many people refusing to wear masks.

I just don't see how this can be the case. Literally every where I go people are wearing masks. Have been for 9 months now. From my perspective, mask-wearers seem to FAR exceed those that refuse to wear them. Almost all businesses still have signs up requiring masks. Schools still require masks. Bars and restaurants still require masks until you are seated, and anytime you are not seated. Where are all these people not wearing masks, and where is the proof that the spread of the virus was due to the few who weren't wearing masks and not just that the virus spread like all viruses spread?

I love the point you brought up above however. You are going to continue wearing masks as long as you deem necessary. Even if the health department ruled today that masks aren't necessary any longer, I would imagine many individuals would continue wearing them until they personally feel safe. That is EXACTLY how it should be! In fact, I think those people should wear TWO masks as Faucci said that two is better than one. And by all means, don't patronize ANY place you don't feel comfortable. That has always been a choice given to every person in the country. And by all means frequent places that you DO feel comfortable. This is very reasonable to me.

The statewide mask mandate was lifted a month ago. By a miracle, despite this, cases have fallen every week. And people are still choosing to wear masks. It's almost as if people are capable of making their own decisions they feel is in their best interest and for safety. If you followed any social media when the mandate was lifted you would have thought we were about to see mass deaths and hospitalizations. But somehow, some way, maybe by the grace of God alone; that did not happen.

For that I am very happy. \:D/
ILTC - have you yet been able to find one person that can answer your question about why we don't wear seasonal flu masks? One thing this pandemic as reinforced for us is that wearing a mask or two will absolutely help to prevent or diminish spread of any air born virus, including the flu. So let's say this COVID thing runs it's course in a year or two and is gone forever (Won't happen, but hypothetically). Are we as a society going to be required to wear masks, social distance, shut down businesses, limit capacity, etc... every flu season? I don't think the flu is going away any time soon and it has 100% been proven that taking these measures will in fact save peoples' lives that otherwise would have died from the flu. Anything?
Why would there be a requirement to wear a mask for something that we have a vaccine for? I think it's a great idea to wear a mask during flu season now that we've seen how much wearing one for Covid has reduced the flu, but I don't think there will be a requirement to wear a mask for either now a we have a vaccine for both. Not sure why you would think there will be as it doesn't follow anything we've done before.
Uh, because it will save lives? Can you give a good answer to the question? Why don't we put rules in place and implement safety measures every year when flu season rolls around? Do you not agree it would save lives? Maybe it's a numbers thing. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass here and trust me, I really don't want to go through all this every year but stepping back and lookin at our society, why aren't we doing it? Yes the example below was the worst year we've had in a long time and usually it doesn't kill that many. I think the lowest (until this year which I think is zero) over the past 20 years was around 12,000 but the average has to be around 40,000 deaths?

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter in U.S., highest death toll in 40 years
By Associated Press Sept. 26, 2018


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:06 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:49 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:44 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:23 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Why would there be a requirement to wear a mask for something that we have a vaccine for?
Because despite the vaccine tens of thousand of people die of the flu every year?

And masks would save the lives of tens of thousands of people?

And because we're being told we may have to wear masks into 2022 despite the fact that we have a covid vaccine?

Just off the top of my head. But I care about saving lives. :wink:
Tens of thousands of people of which most didn't get the shot and which isn't 600,000/year when wearing masks, etc.
So people ARE wearing masks! I've been told countless times we're in this crappy predicament because people are being petty and childish and not wearing masks. This helps clear things up a bit for me. Viruses are gonna virus. =D^
Yes, people are wearing masks. People are also being petty and childish and not wearing masks. The more that people wear masks, the less the virus will spread. The less they wear masks the less it will spread. The sole reason we're in this predicament isn't because people aren't wearing masks. Viruses aren't gonna virus as much as they'd like to if people wear masks. Hope that clears it up even more.
It does. That's why I think good people should continue wearing masks forever so viruses don't virus as much and kill people. Seeing people die of ANY virus that could be prevented by mask wearing is really tough to see.

Thanks
Okay.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:08 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:52 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:52 pm
First and foremost, I blame individuals. We all make decisions on how to act regardless of what the government tells us, and millions of people are acting like petulant, spoiled, selfish children right now. I don't care if there is a mask mandate or not, I wear one everywhere I go. And I will not patronize businesses who are not trying to enforce some kind of masking and distancing; on the flip side, I go out of my way to support businesses that are.
I have asked before but has there been any research or surveys in regards to mask-wearing and its impact on the virus? Not whether or not masks work (they do) but rather if the spread of the virus is due to many people refusing to wear masks.

I just don't see how this can be the case. Literally every where I go people are wearing masks. Have been for 9 months now. From my perspective, mask-wearers seem to FAR exceed those that refuse to wear them. Almost all businesses still have signs up requiring masks. Schools still require masks. Bars and restaurants still require masks until you are seated, and anytime you are not seated. Where are all these people not wearing masks, and where is the proof that the spread of the virus was due to the few who weren't wearing masks and not just that the virus spread like all viruses spread?

I love the point you brought up above however. You are going to continue wearing masks as long as you deem necessary. Even if the health department ruled today that masks aren't necessary any longer, I would imagine many individuals would continue wearing them until they personally feel safe. That is EXACTLY how it should be! In fact, I think those people should wear TWO masks as Faucci said that two is better than one. And by all means, don't patronize ANY place you don't feel comfortable. That has always been a choice given to every person in the country. And by all means frequent places that you DO feel comfortable. This is very reasonable to me.

The statewide mask mandate was lifted a month ago. By a miracle, despite this, cases have fallen every week. And people are still choosing to wear masks. It's almost as if people are capable of making their own decisions they feel is in their best interest and for safety. If you followed any social media when the mandate was lifted you would have thought we were about to see mass deaths and hospitalizations. But somehow, some way, maybe by the grace of God alone; that did not happen.

For that I am very happy. \:D/
ILTC - have you yet been able to find one person that can answer your question about why we don't wear seasonal flu masks? One thing this pandemic as reinforced for us is that wearing a mask or two will absolutely help to prevent or diminish spread of any air born virus, including the flu. So let's say this COVID thing runs it's course in a year or two and is gone forever (Won't happen, but hypothetically). Are we as a society going to be required to wear masks, social distance, shut down businesses, limit capacity, etc... every flu season? I don't think the flu is going away any time soon and it has 100% been proven that taking these measures will in fact save peoples' lives that otherwise would have died from the flu. Anything?
Why would there be a requirement to wear a mask for something that we have a vaccine for? I think it's a great idea to wear a mask during flu season now that we've seen how much wearing one for Covid has reduced the flu, but I don't think there will be a requirement to wear a mask for either now a we have a vaccine for both. Not sure why you would think there will be as it doesn't follow anything we've done before.
Uh, because it will save lives? Can you give a good answer to the question? Why don't we put rules in place and implement safety measures every year when flu season rolls around? Do you not agree it would save lives? Maybe it's a numbers thing. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass here and trust me, I really don't want to go through all this every year but stepping back and lookin at our society, why aren't we doing it? Yes the example below was the worst year we've had in a long time and usually it doesn't kill that many. I think the lowest (until this year which I think is zero) over the past 20 years was around 12,000 but the average has to be around 40,000 deaths?

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter in U.S., highest death toll in 40 years
By Associated Press Sept. 26, 2018
Catatac you're missing the point.

It's not why don't people wear masks to prevent deaths from other viruses. No one seems to feel that is relevant.

However, what IS relevant is whether or not people are heeding advice and wearing two masks instead of one as it offers more protection. Honestly, I think everyone should be required to wear three masks when stepping outside their homes. If we truly care about lives and putting an end to this particular virus, three-mask-wearing seems to be the only ethical, and science-based approach.

Just my opinion of course. :wink:



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:16 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:52 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:52 pm
First and foremost, I blame individuals. We all make decisions on how to act regardless of what the government tells us, and millions of people are acting like petulant, spoiled, selfish children right now. I don't care if there is a mask mandate or not, I wear one everywhere I go. And I will not patronize businesses who are not trying to enforce some kind of masking and distancing; on the flip side, I go out of my way to support businesses that are.
I have asked before but has there been any research or surveys in regards to mask-wearing and its impact on the virus? Not whether or not masks work (they do) but rather if the spread of the virus is due to many people refusing to wear masks.

I just don't see how this can be the case. Literally every where I go people are wearing masks. Have been for 9 months now. From my perspective, mask-wearers seem to FAR exceed those that refuse to wear them. Almost all businesses still have signs up requiring masks. Schools still require masks. Bars and restaurants still require masks until you are seated, and anytime you are not seated. Where are all these people not wearing masks, and where is the proof that the spread of the virus was due to the few who weren't wearing masks and not just that the virus spread like all viruses spread?

I love the point you brought up above however. You are going to continue wearing masks as long as you deem necessary. Even if the health department ruled today that masks aren't necessary any longer, I would imagine many individuals would continue wearing them until they personally feel safe. That is EXACTLY how it should be! In fact, I think those people should wear TWO masks as Faucci said that two is better than one. And by all means, don't patronize ANY place you don't feel comfortable. That has always been a choice given to every person in the country. And by all means frequent places that you DO feel comfortable. This is very reasonable to me.

The statewide mask mandate was lifted a month ago. By a miracle, despite this, cases have fallen every week. And people are still choosing to wear masks. It's almost as if people are capable of making their own decisions they feel is in their best interest and for safety. If you followed any social media when the mandate was lifted you would have thought we were about to see mass deaths and hospitalizations. But somehow, some way, maybe by the grace of God alone; that did not happen.

For that I am very happy. \:D/
ILTC - have you yet been able to find one person that can answer your question about why we don't wear seasonal flu masks? One thing this pandemic as reinforced for us is that wearing a mask or two will absolutely help to prevent or diminish spread of any air born virus, including the flu. So let's say this COVID thing runs it's course in a year or two and is gone forever (Won't happen, but hypothetically). Are we as a society going to be required to wear masks, social distance, shut down businesses, limit capacity, etc... every flu season? I don't think the flu is going away any time soon and it has 100% been proven that taking these measures will in fact save peoples' lives that otherwise would have died from the flu. Anything?
Why would there be a requirement to wear a mask for something that we have a vaccine for? I think it's a great idea to wear a mask during flu season now that we've seen how much wearing one for Covid has reduced the flu, but I don't think there will be a requirement to wear a mask for either now a we have a vaccine for both. Not sure why you would think there will be as it doesn't follow anything we've done before.
Uh, because it will save lives? Can you give a good answer to the question? Why don't we put rules in place and implement safety measures every year when flu season rolls around? Do you not agree it would save lives? Maybe it's a numbers thing. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass here and trust me, I really don't want to go through all this every year but stepping back and lookin at our society, why aren't we doing it? Yes the example below was the worst year we've had in a long time and usually it doesn't kill that many. I think the lowest (until this year which I think is zero) over the past 20 years was around 12,000 but the average has to be around 40,000 deaths?

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter in U.S., highest death toll in 40 years
By Associated Press Sept. 26, 2018
I don't see it needing to be a requirement. Maybe a suggested measure. I'll wear one, but I don't think it needs to be required. 80,000 people don't die of the flu every year, but it can be bad. People should get the shot. People not getting the shot is a big reason why I'll wear a mask. It's unfortunate that people won't get the flu shot. The mask requirement is very difficult on a lot people as we saw with Covid.
Last edited by iaafan on Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:24 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:08 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:52 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:52 pm
First and foremost, I blame individuals. We all make decisions on how to act regardless of what the government tells us, and millions of people are acting like petulant, spoiled, selfish children right now. I don't care if there is a mask mandate or not, I wear one everywhere I go. And I will not patronize businesses who are not trying to enforce some kind of masking and distancing; on the flip side, I go out of my way to support businesses that are.
I have asked before but has there been any research or surveys in regards to mask-wearing and its impact on the virus? Not whether or not masks work (they do) but rather if the spread of the virus is due to many people refusing to wear masks.

I just don't see how this can be the case. Literally every where I go people are wearing masks. Have been for 9 months now. From my perspective, mask-wearers seem to FAR exceed those that refuse to wear them. Almost all businesses still have signs up requiring masks. Schools still require masks. Bars and restaurants still require masks until you are seated, and anytime you are not seated. Where are all these people not wearing masks, and where is the proof that the spread of the virus was due to the few who weren't wearing masks and not just that the virus spread like all viruses spread?

I love the point you brought up above however. You are going to continue wearing masks as long as you deem necessary. Even if the health department ruled today that masks aren't necessary any longer, I would imagine many individuals would continue wearing them until they personally feel safe. That is EXACTLY how it should be! In fact, I think those people should wear TWO masks as Faucci said that two is better than one. And by all means, don't patronize ANY place you don't feel comfortable. That has always been a choice given to every person in the country. And by all means frequent places that you DO feel comfortable. This is very reasonable to me.

The statewide mask mandate was lifted a month ago. By a miracle, despite this, cases have fallen every week. And people are still choosing to wear masks. It's almost as if people are capable of making their own decisions they feel is in their best interest and for safety. If you followed any social media when the mandate was lifted you would have thought we were about to see mass deaths and hospitalizations. But somehow, some way, maybe by the grace of God alone; that did not happen.

For that I am very happy. \:D/
ILTC - have you yet been able to find one person that can answer your question about why we don't wear seasonal flu masks? One thing this pandemic as reinforced for us is that wearing a mask or two will absolutely help to prevent or diminish spread of any air born virus, including the flu. So let's say this COVID thing runs it's course in a year or two and is gone forever (Won't happen, but hypothetically). Are we as a society going to be required to wear masks, social distance, shut down businesses, limit capacity, etc... every flu season? I don't think the flu is going away any time soon and it has 100% been proven that taking these measures will in fact save peoples' lives that otherwise would have died from the flu. Anything?
Why would there be a requirement to wear a mask for something that we have a vaccine for? I think it's a great idea to wear a mask during flu season now that we've seen how much wearing one for Covid has reduced the flu, but I don't think there will be a requirement to wear a mask for either now a we have a vaccine for both. Not sure why you would think there will be as it doesn't follow anything we've done before.
Uh, because it will save lives? Can you give a good answer to the question? Why don't we put rules in place and implement safety measures every year when flu season rolls around? Do you not agree it would save lives? Maybe it's a numbers thing. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass here and trust me, I really don't want to go through all this every year but stepping back and lookin at our society, why aren't we doing it? Yes the example below was the worst year we've had in a long time and usually it doesn't kill that many. I think the lowest (until this year which I think is zero) over the past 20 years was around 12,000 but the average has to be around 40,000 deaths?

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter in U.S., highest death toll in 40 years
By Associated Press Sept. 26, 2018
Catatac you're missing the point.

It's not why don't people wear masks to prevent deaths from other viruses. No one seems to feel that is relevant.

However, what IS relevant is whether or not people are heeding advice and wearing two masks instead of one as it offers more protection. Honestly, I think everyone should be required to wear three masks when stepping outside their homes. If we truly care about lives and putting an end to this particular virus, three-mask-wearing seems to be the only ethical, and science-based approach.

Just my opinion of course. :wink:
I know you're making a good faith effort to be funny, but in an attempt to stop the spread of disinformation:

-Due to there not being a vaccine for Covid, people needed to wear a mask and do other measures to keep the virus from killing 2 million or more people in the US alone. It still will kill over 600,000 despite the CDC's attempts to get Americans to follow the measures in place of a vaccine.

-Due to having a vaccine for the flu, people aren't needed to wear a mask or do other measures, because the vaccine itself will prevent massive amounts of deaths in a single year. People can still wear a mask (I think they should, because masks for Covid also made this year one of the lowest flu years of all time).

If you'd like to continue to tell people it should be required, I have no problem with that. I'm just saying I don't think it needs to happen since all one needs to do to avoid wearing a mask is get the shot. I'd rather take about 30 minutes out of my day to get the shot and then not have to worry about social distancing, wearing a mask, washing my hands for 30 seconds every time, etc. Seems like a good trade. That said, not everyone will get a flu shot, so there's a risk of catching the flu. So I'll wear a mask. What should be required is getting the flu shot, but that's a pipe dream.



User avatar
BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3710
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: More Covid Data

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:34 pm

Will mask wearing be normalized in the US after COVID has moved to the background of diseases (it won't go away but will certainly stop killing so many people with widely available vaccines)?

Iaa to your point, where and when will you continue to wear a mask? Is it more a flu season thing or a year around item?

Also wearing a mask protects other individuals from you, so if you get the vaccine will you continue to wear a mask in solidarity?


I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2689
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: More Covid Data

Post by The Butcher » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Annually the flu (complication from the flu) kill 12,000 - 60,000 Americans. In one year COVID killed 600,000. People really need to stop comparing COVID to the flu...

Also on this topic; Sioux Falls was hit hard by COVID. After a mask mandate was put in place cases dropped 40% in a month. The mandate didn't even have any type of fines. But sure, medical professionals are wrong and masks don't work...



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:34 pm
Will mask wearing be normalized in the US after COVID has moved to the background of diseases (it won't go away but will certainly stop killing so many people with widely available vaccines)?

Iaa to your point, where and when will you continue to wear a mask? Is it more a flu season thing or a year around item?

Also wearing a mask protects other individuals from you, so if you get the vaccine will you continue to wear a mask in solidarity?
Thanks for asking. I'll wear one during flu season.

I will any other time I feel I may be affected, such as if I know I'm going to be around people who are sick or when I'm around a large group of people where I think that the odds are very good that someone may sick.

I will any time that I feel like I may affect someone else, because I may be asymptomatic with something and I know I'm going to be around the elderly or young children or persons that are easily affected.

I'll do this in the same manner that I've worn a mask during Covid. I haven't felt put out by wearing a mask at all and I've been impressed by how well it, and other measures, have not only stopped the spread of Covid, but also other illnesses, such as the flu.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:54 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:54 pm
Annually the flu (complication from the flu) kill 12,000 - 60,000 Americans. In one year COVID killed 600,000. People really need to stop comparing COVID to the flu...

Also on this topic; Sioux Falls was hit hard by COVID. After a mask mandate was put in place cases dropped 40% in a month. The mandate didn't even have any type of fines. But sure, medical professionals are wrong and masks don't work...
Who is saying masks don’t work? I haven’t heard that much.

But in regards to your example, couldn’t the opposite point be made in all the communities in which cases rose exponentially AFTER mask mandates were in effect? Because there are a lot of them.

This was my entire point. Cases go down after a mask mandate and it’s because of the masks and how much they work. Cases go up after a mask mandate and it’s because people aren’t wearing masks. I find it funny is all.



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6528
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:27 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:34 pm
Will mask wearing be normalized in the US after COVID has moved to the background of diseases (it won't go away but will certainly stop killing so many people with widely available vaccines)?

Iaa to your point, where and when will you continue to wear a mask? Is it more a flu season thing or a year around item?

Also wearing a mask protects other individuals from you, so if you get the vaccine will you continue to wear a mask in solidarity?
Thanks for asking. I'll wear one during flu season.

I will any other time I feel I may be affected, such as if I know I'm going to be around people who are sick or when I'm around a large group of people where I think that the odds are very good that someone may sick.

I will any time that I feel like I may affect someone else, because I may be asymptomatic with something and I know I'm going to be around the elderly or young children or persons that are easily affected.

I'll do this in the same manner that I've worn a mask during Covid. I haven't felt put out by wearing a mask at all and I've been impressed by how well it, and other measures, have not only stopped the spread of Covid, but also other illnesses, such as the flu.
Do you really think the mask mandates and all the other measures put in place stopped the flu? In other words, let's say COVID never happened but we still put all the measures in place as we did... are you saying we'd still have no flu deaths?


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by iaafan » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:43 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:27 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:34 pm
Will mask wearing be normalized in the US after COVID has moved to the background of diseases (it won't go away but will certainly stop killing so many people with widely available vaccines)?

Iaa to your point, where and when will you continue to wear a mask? Is it more a flu season thing or a year around item?

Also wearing a mask protects other individuals from you, so if you get the vaccine will you continue to wear a mask in solidarity?
Thanks for asking. I'll wear one during flu season.

I will any other time I feel I may be affected, such as if I know I'm going to be around people who are sick or when I'm around a large group of people where I think that the odds are very good that someone may sick.

I will any time that I feel like I may affect someone else, because I may be asymptomatic with something and I know I'm going to be around the elderly or young children or persons that are easily affected.

I'll do this in the same manner that I've worn a mask during Covid. I haven't felt put out by wearing a mask at all and I've been impressed by how well it, and other measures, have not only stopped the spread of Covid, but also other illnesses, such as the flu.
Do you really think the mask mandates and all the other measures put in place stopped the flu? In other words, let's say COVID never happened but we still put all the measures in place as we did... are you saying we'd still have no flu deaths?
Since I never said there would be no flu deaths, why are you asking me that question? You’ve completely lost me with this question. Nowhere did I say that.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

“Following widespread adoption of community mitigation measures to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, the percentage of U.S. respiratory specimens submitted for influenza testing that tested positive decreased from >20% to 2.3% and has remained at historically low interseasonal levels (0.2% versus 1–2%). Data from Southern Hemisphere countries also indicate little influenza activity.“



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:24 am

So we're all in agreement! We could save thousands of lives every year by wearing masks. I think the only right thing to do, if you care about others, and saving lives, is to wear 1-2 masks going forward. =D^



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6528
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by catatac » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:33 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:43 am
catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:27 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:34 pm
Will mask wearing be normalized in the US after COVID has moved to the background of diseases (it won't go away but will certainly stop killing so many people with widely available vaccines)?

Iaa to your point, where and when will you continue to wear a mask? Is it more a flu season thing or a year around item?

Also wearing a mask protects other individuals from you, so if you get the vaccine will you continue to wear a mask in solidarity?
Thanks for asking. I'll wear one during flu season.

I will any other time I feel I may be affected, such as if I know I'm going to be around people who are sick or when I'm around a large group of people where I think that the odds are very good that someone may sick.

I will any time that I feel like I may affect someone else, because I may be asymptomatic with something and I know I'm going to be around the elderly or young children or persons that are easily affected.

I'll do this in the same manner that I've worn a mask during Covid. I haven't felt put out by wearing a mask at all and I've been impressed by how well it, and other measures, have not only stopped the spread of Covid, but also other illnesses, such as the flu.
Do you really think the mask mandates and all the other measures put in place stopped the flu? In other words, let's say COVID never happened but we still put all the measures in place as we did... are you saying we'd still have no flu deaths?
Since I never said there would be no flu deaths, why are you asking me that question? You’ve completely lost me with this question. Nowhere did I say that.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

“Following widespread adoption of community mitigation measures to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, the percentage of U.S. respiratory specimens submitted for influenza testing that tested positive decreased from >20% to 2.3% and has remained at historically low interseasonal levels (0.2% versus 1–2%). Data from Southern Hemisphere countries also indicate little influenza activity.“
Sorry, I wasn't implying that you said that, those were my words. I don't know how may flu deaths there were in the U.S., as I don't even know if those numbers are out but I thought the last data I saw on that showed that it was going to be extremely low, perhaps zero..... or maybe that was in MT.


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14777
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: More Covid Data

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:59 am

I think a lot of people will wear masks in certain settings during flu season from now on. I think that’s just human nature for some people to see something work and then keep using it. There are probably thousands of examples of this.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2689
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: More Covid Data

Post by The Butcher » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:45 am

Nearly half of Republicans have said they will not get the COVID-19 vaccine. This is not good for herd immunity. An odd stat found about those not getting vaccinated; 46% of those supported Trump in 2020. Trump toted that he was the reason for the vaccine success. So they don't believe science or their demigod.

https://www.axios.com/concern-republica ... 6b76b.html



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: More Covid Data

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:13 am

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:45 am
Nearly half of Republicans have said they will not get the COVID-19 vaccine. This is not good for herd immunity. An odd stat found about those not getting vaccinated; 46% of those supported Trump in 2020. Trump toted that he was the reason for the vaccine success. So they don't believe science or their demigod.

https://www.axios.com/concern-republica ... 6b76b.html
No, we just feel we should have a choice. I wouldn't take the jab even if Trump said to take it...



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4006
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: More Covid Data

Post by Cataholic » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:06 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:45 am
Nearly half of Republicans have said they will not get the COVID-19 vaccine. This is not good for herd immunity. An odd stat found about those not getting vaccinated; 46% of those supported Trump in 2020. Trump toted that he was the reason for the vaccine success. So they don't believe science or their demigod.

https://www.axios.com/concern-republica ... 6b76b.html
What an idiotic article. I just got my vaccination and nobody asked me if I was a Democrat or Republican. They also cite some liberal sources for the article: NPR, CNN and the White House’s Jen Psaki. I am sure those folks have no political agenda... :lol: :lol: :lol:



Post Reply