More Covid Data

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: More Covid Data

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:23 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:20 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:18 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Man all y’all are painting a pretty grim future (present, reality?). “You’re damned if ya do, damned if ya don’t.”
:lol:

Nah. I'm actually pretty optimistic about the coming months. I'm just painting a "different" picture of the past, present and future. Instead of death tickers and talk about new strains that could be dangerous, I've chosen to voice my opinion on kids and how bad they've been victimized this last year.

So sad. :(
I do feel for kids, and even more so for small business owners. But personally, I think the victimization of children is overrated. Kids are much more resilient than that. I think it comes down to the messaging from parents at home. If all you talk about with them is "poor you, I feel so bad for you, you shouldn't have to wear a mask, etc." (not saying this is you, ILTC), then no wonder kids are struggling in that situation. If you just treat it as a "thing we have to deal with" and focus on the positive things (I mean, try to find them, right?), they still might not like it but I think they'll likely handle it differently. JMO. It does suck all the way around, no one is arguing that.
Just curious, but what ages are your kids? I’m assuming you have them.

No doubt they’re resilient. But I’m seeing first hand with mine what an impact this last year has had. I had a meeting with one of my kids teachers Tuesday. One of them is doing ok but my other is struggling. Online learning killed him. So we met to see what he could do. His teacher says that he thinks 70% of his students are performing worse than their transcripts show they have in the past. He said he has more dropouts in the last year than he ever has since teaching. He seems semi young so take that with a grain of salt.

My only point is I’m hoping sometime soon we start weighing all of the outcomes, and not just ignoring repercussions aside from hospitalizations. Kids may be resilient, but who’s to say they’re more resilient than the 99 something percent of adults who are also resilient of this virus?

I understand your take though. Just feel so many are being lost in the shuffle from a virus most won’t get, according to the stats, and of those most won’t die, according to the stats.

We should have a clearer view in the coming years I suppose.
Our experiences are similar. I won’t get into many specific regarding my kids, but the first high school basketball game my daughter got to see this year was at State. Can you imagine high school with no extracurricular activities? No high school games. No dances. No prom. They don’t even get to have lunch off campus as get have to eat in their classrooms. They can’t go see a movie during the weekend. They can’t go have a late meal or snack after a game or show. The isolation has really hurt kids mentally.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:54 am
ilovethecats wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Man all y’all are painting a pretty grim future (present, reality?). “You’re damned if ya do, damned if ya don’t.”

Nah. I'm actually pretty optimistic about the coming months. I'm just painting a "different" picture of the past, present and future. Instead of death tickers and talk about new strains that could be dangerous, I've chosen to voice my opinion on kids and how bad they've been victimized this last year.

I do feel for kids, and even more so for small business owners. But personally, I think the victimization of children is overrated. Kids are much more resilient than that. I think it comes down to the messaging from parents at home. If all you talk about with them is "poor you, I feel so bad for you, you shouldn't have to wear a mask, etc." (not saying this is you, ILTC), then no wonder kids are struggling in that situation. If you just treat it as a "thing we have to deal with" and focus on the positive things (I mean, try to find them, right?), they still might not like it but I think they'll likely handle it differently. JMO. It does suck all the way around, no one is arguing that.

No doubt they’re resilient. But I’m seeing first hand with mine what an impact this last year has had. I had a meeting with one of my kids teachers Tuesday. One of them is doing ok but my other is struggling. Online learning killed him. So we met to see what he could do. His teacher says that he thinks 70% of his students are performing worse than their transcripts show they have in the past. He said he has more dropouts in the last year than he ever has since teaching. He seems semi young so take that with a grain of salt.

My only point is I’m hoping sometime soon we start weighing all of the outcomes, and not just ignoring repercussions aside from hospitalizations. Kids may be resilient, but who’s to say they’re more resilient than the 99 something percent of adults who are also resilient of this virus?

I understand your take though. Just feel so many are being lost in the shuffle from a virus most won’t get, according to the stats, and of those most won’t die, according to the stats.

Many kids, that struggle in school, are thriving in online school. A majority of them prefer online school due to a lot of factors. https://labusinessjournal.com/news/2020 ... ts-online/

Very similar for folks working from home.

Covid has had some silver linings that way. Opening a lot of new avenues. It’s good, mentally healthy, to look at all the positives. People do focus on money too much IMO.
I’m just going on my personal experience and the teachers I’ve talked to.

I’ll concede there’s a possibility when all this is over we’ll learn that online education was a huge hit for all of the kids. It just doesn’t seem that way. I suppose if it’s the case we could just do away with schools all together and just go all online. Though my personal opinion is that the majority of kids need in person education, extra curricular activities, social environments etc.

I’ll be SHOCKED if when all is said and done we look at what has happened to the kids the last 12-15 months and view it as a positive.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:23 am
ilovethecats wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Our experiences are similar. I won’t get into many specific regarding my kids, but the first high school basketball game my daughter got to see this year was at State. Can you imagine high school with no extracurricular activities? No high school games. No dances. No prom. They don’t even get to have lunch off campus as get have to eat in their classrooms. They can’t go see a movie during the weekend. They can’t go have a late meal or snack after a game or show. The isolation has really hurt kids mentally.
Without a doubt. It’s been terrible to see. But I guess it’ll all be worth it if it means we go from a 99.7% survival rate to a 99.8% survival rate. Kids will be fine. :-k

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:14 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:54 am
ilovethecats wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Many kids, that struggle in school, are thriving in online school. A majority of them prefer online school due to a lot of factors. https://labusinessjournal.com/news/2020 ... ts-online/

Very similar for folks working from home.

Covid has had some silver linings that way. Opening a lot of new avenues. It’s good, mentally healthy, to look at all the positives. People do focus on money too much IMO.
I’m just going on my personal experience and the teachers I’ve talked to.

I’ll concede there’s a possibility when all this is over we’ll learn that online education was a huge hit for all of the kids. It just doesn’t seem that way. I suppose if it’s the case we could just do away with schools all together and just go all online. Though my personal opinion is that the majority of kids need in person education, extra curricular activities, social environments etc.

I’ll be SHOCKED if when all is said and done we look at what has happened to the kids the last 12-15 months and view it as a positive.
Unfortunately the vast majority of elementary school kids are struggling emotionally and academically. Behavior issues have become more common and kids are falling farther and farther behind. That’s not hyperbole, it’s what thousands of teachers are seeing on a daily basis. There are definitely some kids thriving, but those numbers pale in comparison to the other side. It’s really unfortunate, and times like these hurts the kids that need more help and interaction, not less.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:27 pm

This thread seemed appropriate for this news. I am just flabbergasted that teachers are so reluctant to get back to work. There are so many troubling issues in this article.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oakland-teac ... iority.amp

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:27 pm
This thread seemed appropriate for this news. I am just flabbergasted that teachers are so reluctant to get back to work. There are so many troubling issues in this article.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oakland-teac ... iority.amp
I think it’s important to note this is referencing 6 elementary schools and 10 preschools in Oakland. I would be interested to hear the teachers side of the story on this. I don’t think it’s a matter of not wanting to work as my teacher friends and relatives tell me this is the hardest they’ve ever worked in their careers.

It’s obviously a HUGE deal, especially for under privileged and special needs kids. It sounds like they are due back 4/17. And as a parent of school age children, I can certainly understand the frustration.

I’ve been disappointed about how long it has to get teachers vaccinated here in Montana. In my mind the should have been up there with healthcare workers.

It’s also interesting that alameda county has only had 83,000 total positive cases and 1400 deaths out of a densely populated 1.5 million people.
Last edited by wbtfg on Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:20 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 pm

I’ve been disappointed about how long it has to Akem teachers vaccinated here in Montana. In my mind the should have been up there with healthcare workers.
This is one of the most mind-boggling things that’s happened. I’ve yet to hear a good explanation for this.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:20 am
wbtfg wrote:

I’ve been disappointed about how long it has to Akem teachers vaccinated here in Montana. In my mind the should have been up there with healthcare workers.
This is one of the most mind-boggling things that’s happened. I’ve yet to hear a good explanation for this.
Ha. That was a bizarre autocorrect. Does my phone have grizzly goblins inside?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 am

TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Add me to this list as well. Sadly, it's par for the course. We really don't care about teachers or education in this country.

Teachers should have been paid double over this last year and they should have been among the first in line to get vaccinated. And they would have been had we actually been a country that cares about teachers, schools and kids. ](*,)

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:15 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 am
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Add me to this list as well. Sadly, it's par for the course. We really don't care about teachers or education in this country.

Teachers should have been paid double over this last year and they should have been among the first in line to get vaccinated. And they would have been had we actually been a country that cares about teachers, schools and kids. ](*,)
Teachers are under appreciated, but paying them double during this period? Lots of people have adjusted their work schedule and conditions to get through this pandemic. Many businesses are just trying to survive. Should all workers that interact with the public get paid double? Where does it end?

No question teachers should have been first in line to get vaccinations. I wasn’t even aware that they weren’t as it seems to be common sense.

What is being lost in this discussion though is the commitment of certain jurisdictions to open schools, while others are not willing to even try. Oakland and Chicago are two that come to mind. The original article above was troubling to me regarding Oakland, but I haven’t found any articles justifying their reluctance to go back to school. Those teachers were given priority on vaccines and also bonuses. They can teach in Montana but not in Chicago or Oakland? Where else are schools still closed?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:44 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:15 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 am
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Teachers are under appreciated, but paying them double during this period? Lots of people have adjusted their work schedule and conditions to get through this pandemic. Many businesses are just trying to survive. Should all workers that interact with the public get paid double? Where does it end?

No question teachers should have been first in line to get vaccinations. I wasn’t even aware that they weren’t as it seems to be common sense.

What is being lost in this discussion though is the commitment of certain jurisdictions to open schools, while others are not willing to even try. Oakland and Chicago are two that come to mind. The original article above was troubling to me regarding Oakland, but I haven’t found any articles justifying their reluctance to go back to school. Those teachers were given priority on vaccines and also bonuses. They can teach in Montana but not in Chicago or Oakland? Where else are schools still closed?
Well, I was slightly exaggerating with the double talk. Though I think teachers are WAY underpaid as it is but that is a topic for another day.

But yes, teachers are working harder and more hours than they have ever been asked to. The couple that I'm friends with discussed their last year and it's mind blowing. Trying to do in-person teaching, and then online teaching at the same time is grueling. That doesn't even touch on the hundreds of emails they have to respond to every week to make sure that every student and their parents are on the same page. It's taking its toll and I fully expect to see many pursuing other careers during all of this.

In regards to who should get paid more that is also another subject. But the way we're just printing money in these stimulus bills, and seeing where millions of dollars are going, I could say yes, I think we could have taken some of that money and given it to teachers for sure. We care about "front line" workers...until those front line workers are teachers. But no, I don't think it's a crazy concept to focus on those "essential" workers first when doling out money from these stimulus bills.

Aside from the hypothetical money talk, in simple terms I think it's asinine we didn't make teachers one of the top priorities for the vaccine. But as I said, I'm not at all surprised.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:18 pm

France going into 4-week lockdown amid surge.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 am

Most car accidents are within a mile of the driver’s home.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:21 pm

People on this planet (Earth) are eating bats, I know-I know it’s not overpopulated or anything.

toM StUber

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:20 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:21 pm
People on this planet (Earth) are eating bats, I know-I know it’s not overpopulated or anything.
Are you suggesting China made people eat bats to start a pandemic to help control the earth's population.
Easy Marjorie Taylor Greene! :wink: :lol: