Small businesses should not be...

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Small businesses should not be...

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:47 pm

...f-ing with people right now. I took an extra job delivering papers. I get up at 3:00-4:00 in the morning to do this, for the sole purpose of having some extra cash to spend on the local businesses in my home town of Helena.

I went to a business today, on their request, to get some work done on a piece of equipment that is very near and dear to my way of life. When I got there they gave some BS story about how I had to bring in another "part" for them. They were just trying to get rid of me.

This happened after they had tried to get rid of me over the phone. I called and they said that the manufacturer is who I should call. So I called the manufacturer and they said, "Nope!" Seems there's an agreement between manufacturer and supplier that says supplier will tend to the needs of their customers. So I called the local business back and they said come down with the item. I did (see paragraph above) and they said they need the other item to process getting the part I need. I was like, "oh forget it." I started to leave but realized I had the manufacturer's number stored on my phone, so I called them back and explained what was happening and they lady was pissed. She said to stay there and that someone would be with me soon. She had me take pics of my item and said she'd be in touch shortly.

Shortly was awhile, but eventually the folks at this place came out (the manager hid) with tail between legs and got my info, and took care of it.

This is disappointing to me. We're in a pandemic, you need business! Treat people right. Some of us want to give you our business. The end.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Small businesses should not be...

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Have you done business with them in the past Tom?

Just seeing if this is a new trend or how they've always behaved. Sorry for your issues, its insane to me how people stay in business treating customers like a chore. Newsflash - we are trying to give you money for a service!

Good reminder to all of those (including myself) in the business sector.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Just seeing if this is a new trend or how they've always behaved. Sorry for your issues, its insane to me how people stay in business treating customers like a chore. Newsflash - we are trying to give you money for a service!

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Yes, I’ve done lots of business with them and it’s been sketchy, but this was the worst. Partly because it was such a simple thing and the place wasn’t busy. Not that that would be an excuse for this.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Yes, I’ve done lots of business with them and it’s been sketchy, but this was the worst. Partly because it was such a simple thing and the place wasn’t busy. Not that that would be an excuse for this.
Can you tell the equipment you had worked on without giving away the business name? Maybe one of us has experience with another alternative.

Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 am

I utilize lots of small businesses, simply because they’ll have the service or item that I need — but especially during elections small businesses are spoken of as if they are the Holy Grail or something. While my experiences are very positive on balance, I do always remember one that still makes me shake my head. I was in Quality Wholesale (Quality Bob’s), ex-business on N. 7th in Bozeman, looking for an item which could sometimes be an adventure there. So, I got up my courage and asked a man who was stocking shelves if they had such an item. His response was, “Don’t bother me. Can’t you see I’m busy?” It was an instant classic. I never bothered anyone there ever again.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:43 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 am
I utilize lots of small businesses, simply because they’ll have the service or item that I need — but especially during elections small businesses are spoken of as if they are the Holy Grail or something. While my experiences are very positive on balance, I do always remember one that still makes me shake my head. I was in Quality Wholesale (Quality Bob’s), ex-business on N. 7th in Bozeman, looking for an item which could sometimes be an adventure there. So, I got up my courage and asked a man who was stocking shelves if they had such an item. His response was, “Don’t bother me. Can’t you see I’m busy?” It was an instant classic. I never bothered anyone there ever again.
Just because they are small business, doesn’t mean they are good business people. You referred to Quality Wholesale as “formerly”, so your experience might have happened multiple times and may be a reason for change of ownership/name. Sometimes those businesses need to see that they people are not coming back before they change their ways.