Republicans have no way to communicate

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Republicans have no way to communicate

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:15 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 pm
I mean he blatantly brought up the banned Trump accounts and cited China...
Yet deflected and sidestepped the conversation of a literal Amendment in our Constitution. Last I saw, that was here not there.
He's asking the question, "...how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off." Well... If I saw the same ****** posted on Parler, Twitter, etc... that I've seen from the right, yeah, ban that ******. Unreal.
I’m quite seriously worried. He’s going off the rails.

I don’t really give a rat’s ass about how anyone feels re: getting banned from social media. Maybe don’t use it to try to murder people and overthrow our government, that doesn’t happen. They love to point out that actions have consequences, then act like snowflakes when the shoe is on the other foot. I’d say the same thing about anyone in any position under any realistic scenario.

GO CATS GO!!!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:35 pm

"He could literally call for a press conference to happen at any hour of any day and dozens of news outlets would cover it. Yet he's mad at twitter banning him."

Just thought that was articulated nicely.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 am

The GOP think you have a right to social media but not healthcare. Go figure. :shrug:

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 am

CatBlitz wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:02 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:09 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:30 pm
Just curious how the Democratic left would feel if they were selectively being banned from social media sites like Twitter. And whether you like or not, these social media sites have become a prime way to communicate with constituents.
Don't have to worry about it since I'm not an imbecile breaking laws and rules.
The right harps on the first amendment and private business rights until something happens to them. The hypocrisy never ends.
The only hypocrisy I see is the response by the liberal left. Hasn’t the liberal left always fought for free speech? Wasn’t that one of the rights that was used to justify the protests/riots over the summer? Now none of that matters to the left because they don’t agree with the politics. Doesn’t censorship/banning of those social media accounts sound more like communist China that the USA?
I don’t know, maybe you should actually read the Constitution and the First Amendment. I’ll give you the quick version: it’s about the government not being able to censor free speech. Nothing in there about private companies. They also have freedom, to do whatever they want with the platforms they’ve created. I’m pretty sure that if my creation was being used to incite violence, terrorism, and insurrection against our own country, I’d be pissed and cut those people off too.

Or perhaps you missed the irony of the OP?
Wow! I didn’t know there was that many liberal constitutional scholars out there!!! Great stuff fellas!

I am guessing that your information on the Constitution and First Amendment was aimed at your fellow liberal cohort Catblitz. He is the one that brought up the First Amendment. My original post was that social media has become a primary way to communicate with constituents and how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off.

And given your condescending response, maybe you should read up on Section 230 - you know the law that protects internet companies from liability due to content posted by their users. Given that Facebook and other private companies were providing a forum for users to share their thoughts, the govt provided them some legal protection. Since these private companies are actively determining what is appropriate or factual, they are going to lose this protection afforded by the government.

I did make a casual observation though that banning social media accounts of politicians seems to be something that could easily occur in China - not the US! You don’t need a constitutional scholar to make that casual observation.

And lastly, maybe you could private message Catblitz and help with the First Amendment questions.
Diverting as usual. I expect nothing different.
I mean he blatantly brought up the banned Trump accounts and cited China...
Yet deflected and sidestepped the conversation of a literal Amendment in our Constitution. Last I saw, that was here not there.
He's asking the question, "...how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off." Well... If I saw the same ****** posted on Parler, Twitter, etc... that I've seen from the right, yeah, ban that ******. Unreal.
You need to recheck the thread and look at what you wrote.

First of all, I never brought up "First Amendment", you did. I put it in red to help you find it.
Second, your response to the question about "how the the left would feel if they were banned from social media" was "Don't have to worry about it since I'm not an imbecile breaking laws and rules." That is not nearly the same as what you just posted in Green: "Well... If I saw the same ****** posted on Parler, Twitter, etc... that I've seen from the right, yeah, ban that ******".

If you meant something else, you should work on your communication skills.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:05 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:02 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:09 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Just curious how the Democratic left would feel if they were selectively being banned from social media sites like Twitter. And whether you like or not, these social media sites have become a prime way to communicate with constituents.
The right harps on the first amendment and private business rights until something happens to them. The hypocrisy never ends.
The only hypocrisy I see is the response by the liberal left. Hasn’t the liberal left always fought for free speech? Wasn’t that one of the rights that was used to justify the protests/riots over the summer? Now none of that matters to the left because they don’t agree with the politics. Doesn’t censorship/banning of those social media accounts sound more like communist China that the USA?
I don’t know, maybe you should actually read the Constitution and the First Amendment. I’ll give you the quick version: it’s about the government not being able to censor free speech. Nothing in there about private companies. They also have freedom, to do whatever they want with the platforms they’ve created. I’m pretty sure that if my creation was being used to incite violence, terrorism, and insurrection against our own country, I’d be pissed and cut those people off too.

Or perhaps you missed the irony of the OP?
Wow! I didn’t know there was that many liberal constitutional scholars out there!!! Great stuff fellas!

I am guessing that your information on the Constitution and First Amendment was aimed at your fellow liberal cohort Catblitz. He is the one that brought up the First Amendment. My original post was that social media has become a primary way to communicate with constituents and how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off.

And given your condescending response, maybe you should read up on Section 230 - you know the law that protects internet companies from liability due to content posted by their users. Given that Facebook and other private companies were providing a forum for users to share their thoughts, the govt provided them some legal protection. Since these private companies are actively determining what is appropriate or factual, they are going to lose this protection afforded by the government.

I did make a casual observation though that banning social media accounts of politicians seems to be something that could easily occur in China - not the US! You don’t need a constitutional scholar to make that casual observation.

And lastly, maybe you could private message Catblitz and help with the First Amendment questions.
Diverting as usual. I expect nothing different.
Everybody understands that when you claim "I am diverting", it is because you have no reasonable response. It is pathetic.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:03 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Oh? What do you actually know about censorship/banning in China?
I am not proclaiming that I am expert on China. My questions was hypothetical and not very hard to understand. Let me pose it AGAIN.

If a social media account is banned or censored, does that action sound more like communist China or the USA?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:34 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I am not proclaiming that I am expert on China. My questions was hypothetical and not very hard to understand. Let me pose it AGAIN.

If a social media account is banned or censored, does that action sound more like communist China or the USA?
C'mon man! Without any context, something almost all your posts lack, it sounds like China. But that's without any context. With context it's a perfectly acceptable thing to do in the USA.

Without context you sound like you're supporting executing Pence, staging a terrorist bombing at the Inauguration, kidnapping congressmen. See how it works now? With context you just sound butt hurt.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:34 am
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

C'mon man! Without any context, something almost all your posts lack, it sounds like China. But that's without any context. With context it's a perfectly acceptable thing to do in the USA.

Without context you sound like you're supporting executing Pence, staging a terrorist bombing at the Inauguration, kidnapping congressmen. See how it works now? With context you just sound butt hurt.
Of course it sounds like China! That was the point!!!! Aren't you liberals supposed to be the grand protector of free speach? You are arguing a point that completely defies what your core beliefs are supposed to be.

And I am not really hurt, but I am extremely disappointed that a large section of our liberal country has no problem with social media banning a specific party. Did you realize that Twitter continues to allow the tweets of Ayotollah Khamenei of Iran, Hate propoganda from Louis Farrakhan, white nationalist Richard Spencer, Venezuelan Dictator Nicholas Maduro, Convicted Killer O.J. Simpson and Chinese propoganda.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitter-p ... ill-active

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:01 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 am
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Of course it sounds like China! That was the point!!!! Aren't you liberals supposed to be the grand protector of free speach? You are arguing a point that completely defies what your core beliefs are supposed to be.

And I am not really hurt, but I am extremely disappointed that a large section of our liberal country has no problem with social media banning a specific party. Did you realize that Twitter continues to allow the tweets of Ayotollah Khamenei of Iran, Hate propoganda from Louis Farrakhan, white nationalist Richard Spencer, Venezuelan Dictator Nicholas Maduro, Convicted Killer O.J. Simpson and Chinese propoganda.

Ya, my thought is that it should apply equally to all if these sites are going to ban and censor people. In other words, I wonder how many people have had been banned, censored for threatening comments coming from the Left?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 am

Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

No I'm arguing for you to supply context. Passing along info without it lacks character. Therefore you....

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am

I'm struggling with this. Its a private business and I believe they should be able to moderate, within reason, who is using their platform. Just like I believe a business should be able to refuse service to anyone breaking or potentially breaking a law.

I don't agree with selective discrimination however. If someone threatens real violence that person should be removed, but that is the only reason in my book. If you don't like what is being said, move on.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
I'm struggling with this. Its a private business and I believe they should be able to moderate, within reason, who is using their platform. Just like I believe a business should be able to refuse service to anyone breaking or potentially breaking a law.

I don't agree with selective discrimination however. If someone threatens real violence that person should be removed, but that is the only reason in my book. If you don't like what is being said, move on.
I can understand that point and agree with it to some extent. Keep in mind that private businesses cannot discriminate based on sex, race, religion, etc. But based on Twitter's action, it is apparently okay to discriminate based on politics. We should all agree that there needs to be equal treatment. I don't think that is happening. How many antifa (or BLM for that matter) threatened violence yet this summer yet they were not banned? At a minimum, if you are social media and are going to actively eliminate certain content based on your own ideals, your Section 230 protections should be removed.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:59 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 am
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

No I'm arguing for you to supply context. Passing along info without it lacks character. Therefore you....
You have made comments to post without personal attacks, yet you have already crossed that threshold multiple times. Quite frankly, I don't expect much from you. Just wanted to make it clear that you are once again being a hypocrite.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:07 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
If you don't like what is being said, move on.
Man, wouldn't it be great if more people followed this line of thinking?! :lol:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:11 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:59 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 am
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

You have made comments to post without personal attacks, yet you have already crossed that threshold multiple times. Quite frankly, I don't expect much from you. Just wanted to make it clear that you are once again being a hypocrite.
Because it's an on-going theme with you and now you're projecting again. If you could just ask, somewhat politely, and not give the appearance that you're just trying to play a game of "Gotcha!" it would be more palatable. However, as I've said in other posts don't expect everyone to not respond in kind to your personal attacks. I'm not sure why you do.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

It's not like when you sign up for Twitter they ask you "Which party do you associate with?", and if you choose R they just stop you from registering.

When all the rhetoric and misinformation going on for years finally culminated in an assault on the Capitol Complex, something had to be done. I'm sorry but dangerous conspiracy theories and plots against the US Government need to be reserved for the dark web, not Twitter. If they had just gathered on the steps and had a large protest and rally, maybe all the social media platforms don't react the way they did.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

It's not like when you sign up for Twitter they ask you "Which party do you associate with?", and if you choose R they just stop you from registering.

When all the rhetoric and misinformation going on for years finally culminated in an assault on the Capitol Complex, something had to be done. I'm sorry but dangerous conspiracy theories and plots against the US Government need to be reserved for the dark web, not Twitter. If they had just gathered on the steps and had a large protest and rally, maybe all the social media platforms don't react the way they did.
I understand why they did this. I think what Trump said was stupid and should be addressed. However, he has been removed from about 10 different social media sites. He has been completely silenced to some extent. And Trump's opposition has the ability to plead their case, while Trump's ability has been removed. In the meantime, other groups (a large number of them liberal left groups) have been allowed to act in a similar manner with no retribution. The Ayotollah called for the complete elimination of Jews and his Twitter account is intact. Democrat Maxine Waters said this:
“Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up,” Waters told a crowd in California over the weekend. “If you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd, and you push back on them, and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.”
Like I said before, what Trump said was stupid. It should be addressed. But the same guidelines are not being followed for all political parties - specifically left liberal organizations. Section 230 was created to support and encourage free speech on social media. That is not happening today.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I understand why they did this. I think what Trump said was stupid and should be addressed. However, he has been removed from about 10 different social media sites. He has been completely silenced to some extent. And Trump's opposition has the ability to plead their case, while Trump's ability has been removed. In the meantime, other groups (a large number of them liberal left groups) have been allowed to act in a similar manner with no retribution. The Ayotollah called for the complete elimination of Jews and his Twitter account is intact. Democrat Maxine Waters said this:
“Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up,” Waters told a crowd in California over the weekend. “If you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd, and you push back on them, and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.”
Like I said before, what Trump said was stupid. It should be addressed. But the same guidelines are not being followed for all political parties - specifically left liberal organizations. Section 230 was created to support and encourage free speech on social media. That is not happening today.
I think a key difference here is, unless I'm mistaken, that Maxine Waters never said that on social media. I'm not sure if Twitter et al took offline action or speeches into account, I honestly haven't read a ton of the subject yet. I think they haven plenty of evidence on their own platform though that they wouldn't even need to.

This isn't about one bad Tweet here and there, this is a fire that has had logs added slowly to it over the course of a few years.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:30 pm

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I think a key difference here is, unless I'm mistaken, that Maxine Waters never said that on social media. I'm not sure if Twitter et al took offline action or speeches into account, I honestly haven't read a ton of the subject yet. I think they haven plenty of evidence on their own platform though that they wouldn't even need to.

This isn't about one bad Tweet here and there, this is a fire that has had logs added slowly to it over the course of a few years.
Maxine Waters has a long history of inflamatory remarks.

Regardless, maybe I am not presenting this the right way. You defended Maxine Waters, but what about the others mentioned above? For example, Khomeni and Maduro have a long history of violence. Don't you have a problem with their social media accounts remaining intact?