Republicans have no way to communicate

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Republicans have no way to communicate

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:09 pm

I absolutely did not defend Waters. I'm simply saying that remark was not made on Twitter that I could find. Maybe she wasn't in hot water with Twitter because she didn't use the platform in the same manner as Trump and others banned did.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:09 pm
I absolutely did not defend Waters. I'm simply saying that remark was not made on Twitter that I could find. Maybe she wasn't in hot water with Twitter because she didn't use the platform in the same manner as Trump and others banned did.
Appreciate the clarification. So how do you stand on banning all of these others mentioned above?

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:49 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
I'm struggling with this. Its a private business and I believe they should be able to moderate, within reason, who is using their platform. Just like I believe a business should be able to refuse service to anyone breaking or potentially breaking a law.

I don't agree with selective discrimination however. If someone threatens real violence that person should be removed, but that is the only reason in my book. If you don't like what is being said, move on.
I can understand that point and agree with it to some extent. Keep in mind that private businesses cannot discriminate based on sex, race, religion, etc. But based on Twitter's action, it is apparently okay to discriminate based on politics. We should all agree that there needs to be equal treatment. I don't think that is happening. How many antifa (or BLM for that matter) threatened violence yet this summer yet they were not banned? At a minimum, if you are social media and are going to actively eliminate certain content based on your own ideals, your Section 230 protections should be removed.
Completely agree. I routinely see violent, hatred filled posts by both sides. From what I have witnessed (I am definitely not the end all be all as I don't use social media much) right wing extremists are banned/put in time out a significant amount more than left wing extremists. I remember seeing comments from people I have considered friends suggesting the dude in Portland that was killed by a self described antifa member deserved it or even celebrating it. Any extremist should be subjected to the same ruling system.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:35 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:05 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:02 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:09 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:30 pm
Just curious how the Democratic left would feel if they were selectively being banned from social media sites like Twitter. And whether you like or not, these social media sites have become a prime way to communicate with constituents.
Don't have to worry about it since I'm not an imbecile breaking laws and rules.
The right harps on the first amendment and private business rights until something happens to them. The hypocrisy never ends.
The only hypocrisy I see is the response by the liberal left. Hasn’t the liberal left always fought for free speech? Wasn’t that one of the rights that was used to justify the protests/riots over the summer? Now none of that matters to the left because they don’t agree with the politics. Doesn’t censorship/banning of those social media accounts sound more like communist China that the USA?
I don’t know, maybe you should actually read the Constitution and the First Amendment. I’ll give you the quick version: it’s about the government not being able to censor free speech. Nothing in there about private companies. They also have freedom, to do whatever they want with the platforms they’ve created. I’m pretty sure that if my creation was being used to incite violence, terrorism, and insurrection against our own country, I’d be pissed and cut those people off too.

Or perhaps you missed the irony of the OP?
Wow! I didn’t know there was that many liberal constitutional scholars out there!!! Great stuff fellas!

I am guessing that your information on the Constitution and First Amendment was aimed at your fellow liberal cohort Catblitz. He is the one that brought up the First Amendment. My original post was that social media has become a primary way to communicate with constituents and how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off.

And given your condescending response, maybe you should read up on Section 230 - you know the law that protects internet companies from liability due to content posted by their users. Given that Facebook and other private companies were providing a forum for users to share their thoughts, the govt provided them some legal protection. Since these private companies are actively determining what is appropriate or factual, they are going to lose this protection afforded by the government.

I did make a casual observation though that banning social media accounts of politicians seems to be something that could easily occur in China - not the US! You don’t need a constitutional scholar to make that casual observation.

And lastly, maybe you could private message Catblitz and help with the First Amendment questions.
Diverting as usual. I expect nothing different.
Everybody understands that when you claim "I am diverting", it is because you have no reasonable response. It is pathetic.
No, I think everyone understands that it is another way of saying "I don't have the time to argue with an imbecile who is incapable of debating like an adult."

GO CATS GO!!!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:39 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 am
Did you realize that Twitter continues to allow the tweets of Ayotollah Khamenei of Iran, Hate propoganda from Louis Farrakhan, white nationalist Richard Spencer, Venezuelan Dictator Nicholas Maduro, Convicted Killer O.J. Simpson and Chinese propoganda.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitter-p ... ill-active
The first thought I had upon seeing this was, "how bad does Trump have to be if he is deemed worse than these people?" He may not be worse, or he very well may be, but to even be mentioned in the same breath as any one of these lowlifes says everything about the quality of our sitting President.

And for the record, that's surprising that Twitter allows those pathetic humans to hold accounts on their platform. I would support getting rid of them too.

GO CATS GO!!!

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:03 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:07 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
If you don't like what is being said, move on.
Man, wouldn't it be great if more people followed this line of thinking?! :lol:
Haha don't you miss the days where you said "man that dude is LOONEY" and went about your day without a big hiccup?

I remember even 10 years ago when I saw some nut bag thinking "glad I don't have to spend any time with him".

Social media has made it significantly tougher to get away from, because everything is in your face ALL THE TIME

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:09 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:35 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Just curious how the Democratic left would feel if they were selectively being banned from social media sites like Twitter. And whether you like or not, these social media sites have become a prime way to communicate with constituents.
The right harps on the first amendment and private business rights until something happens to them. The hypocrisy never ends.
The only hypocrisy I see is the response by the liberal left. Hasn’t the liberal left always fought for free speech? Wasn’t that one of the rights that was used to justify the protests/riots over the summer? Now none of that matters to the left because they don’t agree with the politics. Doesn’t censorship/banning of those social media accounts sound more like communist China that the USA?
I don’t know, maybe you should actually read the Constitution and the First Amendment. I’ll give you the quick version: it’s about the government not being able to censor free speech. Nothing in there about private companies. They also have freedom, to do whatever they want with the platforms they’ve created. I’m pretty sure that if my creation was being used to incite violence, terrorism, and insurrection against our own country, I’d be pissed and cut those people off too.

Wow! I didn’t know there was that many liberal constitutional scholars out there!!! Great stuff fellas!

I am guessing that your information on the Constitution and First Amendment was aimed at your fellow liberal cohort Catblitz. He is the one that brought up the First Amendment. My original post was that social media has become a primary way to communicate with constituents and how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off.

And given your condescending response, maybe you should read up on Section 230 - you know the law that protects internet companies from liability due to content posted by their users. Given that Facebook and other private companies were providing a forum for users to share their thoughts, the govt provided them some legal protection. Since these private companies are actively determining what is appropriate or factual, they are going to lose this protection afforded by the government.

I did make a casual observation though that banning social media accounts of politicians seems to be something that could easily occur in China - not the US! You don’t need a constitutional scholar to make that casual observation.

And lastly, maybe you could private message Catblitz and help with the First Amendment questions.
Everybody understands that when you claim "I am diverting", it is because you have no reasonable response. It is pathetic.
No, I think everyone understands that it is another way of saying "I don't have the time to argue with an imbecile who is incapable of debating like an adult."
Debate like an adult? Does that count when you call people an imbecile? You are a class act BozoCat.👎

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:55 pm

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:57 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:34 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:03 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

Oh? What do you actually know about censorship/banning in China?
I am not proclaiming that I am expert on China. My questions was hypothetical and not very hard to understand. Let me pose it AGAIN.

If a social media account is banned or censored, does that action sound more like communist China or the USA?
C'mon man! Without any context, something almost all your posts lack, it sounds like China. But that's without any context. With context it's a perfectly acceptable thing to do in the USA.

Without context you sound like you're supporting executing Pence, staging a terrorist bombing at the Inauguration, kidnapping congressmen. See how it works now? With context you just sound butt hurt.
Of course it sounds like China! That was the point!!!! Aren't you liberals supposed to be the grand protector of free speach? You are arguing a point that completely defies what your core beliefs are supposed to be.

And I am not really hurt, but I am extremely disappointed that a large section of our liberal country has no problem with social media banning a specific party. Did you realize that Twitter continues to allow the tweets of Ayotollah Khamenei of Iran, Hate propoganda from Louis Farrakhan, white nationalist Richard Spencer, Venezuelan Dictator Nicholas Maduro, Convicted Killer O.J. Simpson and Chinese propoganda.

It's not like when you sign up for Twitter they ask you "Which party do you associate with?", and if you choose R they just stop you from registering.

When all the rhetoric and misinformation going on for years finally culminated in an assault on the Capitol Complex, something had to be done. I'm sorry but dangerous conspiracy theories and plots against the US Government need to be reserved for the dark web, not Twitter. If they had just gathered on the steps and had a large protest and rally, maybe all the social media platforms don't react the way they did.
I understand why they did this. I think what Trump said was stupid and should be addressed. However, he has been removed from about 10 different social media sites. He has been completely silenced to some extent. And Trump's opposition has the ability to plead their case, while Trump's ability has been removed. In the meantime, other groups (a large number of them liberal left groups) have been allowed to act in a similar manner with no retribution. The Ayotollah called for the complete elimination of Jews and his Twitter account is intact. Democrat Maxine Waters said this:
“Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up,” Waters told a crowd in California over the weekend. “If you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd, and you push back on them, and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.”
Like I said before, what Trump said was stupid. It should be addressed. But the same guidelines are not being followed for all political parties - specifically left liberal organizations. Section 230 was created to support and encourage free speech on social media. That is not happening today.
I think a key difference here is, unless I'm mistaken, that Maxine Waters never said that on social media. I'm not sure if Twitter et al took offline action or speeches into account, I honestly haven't read a ton of the subject yet. I think they haven plenty of evidence on their own platform though that they wouldn't even need to.

This isn't about one bad Tweet here and there, this is a fire that has had logs added slowly to it over the course of a few years.
Maxine Waters has a long history of inflamatory remarks.

Regardless, maybe I am not presenting this the right way. You defended Maxine Waters, but what about the others mentioned above? For example, Khomeni and Maduro have a long history of violence. Don't you have a problem with their social media accounts remaining intact?
I did a quick search and here are just a tiny few of the things that came up.

Under US Pressure, Social Media Companies Suspend ...
https://friendsforsyria.com/2020/01/17/under-us...
Jan 17, 2020 · Twitter has on numerous occasions suspended the accounts of Venezuela’s elected President Nicolás Maduro, ... The Grayzone has previously documented how Google, Facebook, and Twitter have removed social media accounts of real-life Iranians, including journalists. ... Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/01/15/under-us...
Jan 15, 2020 · The social media giant has done this while simultaneously verifying and promoting the accounts of U.S.-backed opposition activists and coup-mongers, like Juan Guaidó and his …

Venezuela's Maduro slams Twitter after accounts blocked ...
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-venezuela...
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro on Saturday said Twitter was an "expression of fascism" after accounts linked to his government were suspended, accusing the U.S. company of persecuting his ...

Under US pressure, social media companies censor critical ...
https://thegrayzone.com/2020/01/12/us-pressure...

I haven't gone down the rabbit hole yet to see what might be in these articles but a quick glance indicates that some of these people you mention have had their social media accounts suspended. I don't know yet how far this goes but your statements seem to indicate there has never been anything done to these accounts.

I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:57 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:34 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:03 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Oh? What do you actually know about censorship/banning in China?
I am not proclaiming that I am expert on China. My questions was hypothetical and not very hard to understand. Let me pose it AGAIN.

If a social media account is banned or censored, does that action sound more like communist China or the USA?
C'mon man! Without any context, something almost all your posts lack, it sounds like China. But that's without any context. With context it's a perfectly acceptable thing to do in the USA.

Without context you sound like you're supporting executing Pence, staging a terrorist bombing at the Inauguration, kidnapping congressmen. See how it works now? With context you just sound butt hurt.
Of course it sounds like China! That was the point!!!! Aren't you liberals supposed to be the grand protector of free speach? You are arguing a point that completely defies what your core beliefs are supposed to be.

And I am not really hurt, but I am extremely disappointed that a large section of our liberal country has no problem with social media banning a specific party. Did you realize that Twitter continues to allow the tweets of Ayotollah Khamenei of Iran, Hate propoganda from Louis Farrakhan, white nationalist Richard Spencer, Venezuelan Dictator Nicholas Maduro, Convicted Killer O.J. Simpson and Chinese propoganda.

It's not like when you sign up for Twitter they ask you "Which party do you associate with?", and if you choose R they just stop you from registering.

When all the rhetoric and misinformation going on for years finally culminated in an assault on the Capitol Complex, something had to be done. I'm sorry but dangerous conspiracy theories and plots against the US Government need to be reserved for the dark web, not Twitter. If they had just gathered on the steps and had a large protest and rally, maybe all the social media platforms don't react the way they did.
I understand why they did this. I think what Trump said was stupid and should be addressed. However, he has been removed from about 10 different social media sites. He has been completely silenced to some extent. And Trump's opposition has the ability to plead their case, while Trump's ability has been removed. In the meantime, other groups (a large number of them liberal left groups) have been allowed to act in a similar manner with no retribution. The Ayotollah called for the complete elimination of Jews and his Twitter account is intact. Democrat Maxine Waters said this:
“Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up,” Waters told a crowd in California over the weekend. “If you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd, and you push back on them, and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.”
Like I said before, what Trump said was stupid. It should be addressed. But the same guidelines are not being followed for all political parties - specifically left liberal organizations. Section 230 was created to support and encourage free speech on social media. That is not happening today.
I think a key difference here is, unless I'm mistaken, that Maxine Waters never said that on social media. I'm not sure if Twitter et al took offline action or speeches into account, I honestly haven't read a ton of the subject yet. I think they haven plenty of evidence on their own platform though that they wouldn't even need to.

This isn't about one bad Tweet here and there, this is a fire that has had logs added slowly to it over the course of a few years.
Maxine Waters has a long history of inflamatory remarks.

Regardless, maybe I am not presenting this the right way. You defended Maxine Waters, but what about the others mentioned above? For example, Khomeni and Maduro have a long history of violence. Don't you have a problem with their social media accounts remaining intact?
I did a quick search and here are just a tiny few of the things that came up.

https://friendsforsyria.com/2020/01/17/under-us...
Jan 17, 2020 · Twitter has on numerous occasions suspended the accounts of Venezuela’s elected President Nicolás Maduro, ... The Grayzone has previously documented how Google, Facebook, and Twitter have removed social media accounts of real-life Iranians, including journalists. ... Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/01/15/under-us...
Jan 15, 2020 · The social media giant has done this while simultaneously verifying and promoting the accounts of U.S.-backed opposition activists and coup-mongers, like Juan Guaidó and his …

Venezuela's Maduro slams Twitter after accounts blocked ...
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-venezuela...
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro on Saturday said Twitter was an "expression of fascism" after accounts linked to his government were suspended, accusing the U.S. company of persecuting his ...

Under US pressure, social media companies censor critical ...
https://thegrayzone.com/2020/01/12/us-pressure...

I haven't gone down the rabbit hole yet to see what might be in these articles but a quick glance indicates that some of these people you mention have had their social media accounts suspended. I don't know yet how far this goes but your statements seem to indicate there has never been anything done to these accounts.
I was not aware of their temporary suspensions, only that they have been active since. It is my understanding that Trump has been permanently banned.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:09 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Debate like an adult? Does that count when you call people an imbecile? You are a class act BozoCat.👎
I’m sorry if that hurt your feelings, snowflake. 🤷‍♂️

Do you ever take a minute to do a little introspection? Like, maybe when you are the guy constantly arguing with almost everybody else, they aren’t the problem? Maybe there’s the slightest chance you might be taking the wrong side or looking at things in a skewed way?

GO CATS GO!!!

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:57 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:26 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:09 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I’m sorry if that hurt your feelings, snowflake. 🤷‍♂️

Do you ever take a minute to do a little introspection? Like, maybe when you are the guy constantly arguing with almost everybody else, they aren’t the problem? Maybe there’s the slightest chance you might be taking the wrong side or looking at things in a skewed way?
You know why conservatives don’t comment much. Because they are shouted down by the liberals. There are about 20 liberals on this site that regularly drown out the handful of conservative posters. I have had some posters reach out and tell me that you can’t argue with morons like you. I have refrained from calling you a moron, but your posts have been direct and personal in nature. You are a moron.

But once again, you have nothing to contribute so you go on personal attacks. At least some others try to have a discussion. Lame, lame, lame. Cmon man. At least try to post something of intelligence.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:57 pm
You know why conservatives don’t comment much. Because they are shouted down by the liberals. There are about 20 liberals on this site that regularly drown out the handful of conservative posters. I have had some posters reach out and tell me that you can’t argue with morons like you. I have refrained from calling you a moron, but your posts have been direct and personal in nature. You are a moron.
Oh good hell. No conservatives on this site? What world are you living in? This is a message board for Montana State athletics, most of us grew up in Montana and if not, certainly spent a lot of formative years there. Hint: Pretty much everyone on this site is conservative. You can’t seem to separate the term from “Republican,” which seems odd but I don’t know how to further simplify it so that you can understand those two terms are not the same thing.
Cataholic wrote:
But once again, you have nothing to contribute so you go on personal attacks. At least some others try to have a discussion. Lame, lame, lame. Cmon man. At least try to post something of intelligence.
You mean, like you literally just did? Or did you mean something else?

GO CATS GO!!!

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:17 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Oh good hell. No conservatives on this site? What world are you living in? This is a message board for Montana State athletics, most of us grew up in Montana and if not, certainly spent a lot of formative years there. Hint: Pretty much everyone on this site is conservative. You can’t seem to separate the term from “Republican,” which seems odd but I don’t know how to further simplify it so that you can understand those two terms are not the same thing.
Cataholic wrote:
After seeing your recent posts in the football section, I had to follow up on this post. Do you just get a kick out of trying to piss people off and tell them they suck? I personally think Phat Cat is a complete asshole, but you are just looking for a fight. So many ways you could have addressed that conversation, but you went off shift just trying to set him off. I thought his post was completely in the wrong, but your approach isn’t helping any conversation. Of course you will probably call me a snowflake now or something similar, but people are not expecting much from you at this point.

As for the paragraph above, you should take a closer look at what I posted. I said that conservatives don’t post here regularly because they are shouted down by the 20 vocal liberal posters on this site. Just looking at this “discussing the issue” section, you would not know that most MSU grads define as conservatives as the section is dominated by liberals attacking Trump and the Republican Party.

And by the way, for the past 50 years, the Republican Party has regularly affiliated with conservatives and the Democrats have normally been affiliated with liberals. There are obviously differences with each member as people may have progressive ideals on some issues and conservative ideals on others. I am not sure what you were trying to say above, but I am guessing you are just trying to get a jab in or start a fight. Good luck with that.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:17 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
After seeing your recent posts in the football section, I had to follow up on this post. Do you just get a kick out of trying to piss people off and tell them they suck? I personally think Phat Cat is a complete asshole, but you are just looking for a fight. So many ways you could have addressed that conversation, but you went off shift just trying to set him off. I thought his post was completely in the wrong, but your approach isn’t helping any conversation. Of course you will probably call me a snowflake now or something similar, but people are not expecting much from you at this point.

As for the paragraph above, you should take a closer look at what I posted. I said that conservatives don’t post here regularly because they are shouted down by the 20 vocal liberal posters on this site. Just looking at this “discussing the issue” section, you would not know that most MSU grads define as conservatives as the section is dominated by liberals attacking Trump and the Republican Party.

And by the way, for the past 50 years, the Republican Party has regularly affiliated with conservatives and the Democrats have normally been affiliated with liberals. There are obviously differences with each member as people may have progressive ideals on some issues and conservative ideals on others. I am not sure what you were trying to say above, but I am guessing you are just trying to get a jab in or start a fight. Good luck with that.
Re: the post in the football section, I wasn't looking for a fight, but I'm at whit's end listening to people treating people like jerks and not calling them out on it. I didn't realize that asking people not to be jerks and not to be rude was a bad thing. Certainly didn't think it would devolve into anything like it did, that wasn't my intent. But when I see tough guys acting like bullies, I don't have a problem standing up to it.

Is "20" vocal liberals just a bit of hyperbole? I don't think there's 20 people total who regularly post on the Issues page. I don't want to argue semantics about how many people are this or that though.

I fully realize that the Rep. Party has largely been associated with conservatives, and Democrats with liberals. All I'm trying to say is that those parties, as we have traditionally thought of them our entire lives (I'm 42), are no longer the same things. As a person raised in a Republican household and with conservative values, my disappointment with what the Republican Party has become is greater because I hold them to a higher standard, and I don't think the party as a whole is acting with those traditional values in mind any longer. 20 years ago, I would have bet a lot of money that I would never vote for a Democrat, but I feel that party has changed as well. I'm not registered with either party, because I don't really like either party now, although I split my ballot a little more towards the Democrats in the latest election. They both have good and bad sides, currently I feel the Rep. Party is worse than the Dem's, but neither is good. We need a 3rd party so desperately, as well as term limits and campaign finance reform.

GO CATS GO!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:57 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Re: the post in the football section, I wasn't looking for a fight, but I'm at whit's end listening to people treating people like jerks and not calling them out on it. I didn't realize that asking people not to be jerks and not to be rude was a bad thing. Certainly didn't think it would devolve into anything like it did, that wasn't my intent. But when I see tough guys acting like bullies, I don't have a problem standing up to it.

Is "20" vocal liberals just a bit of hyperbole? I don't think there's 20 people total who regularly post on the Issues page. I don't want to argue semantics about how many people are this or that though.

I fully realize that the Rep. Party has largely been associated with conservatives, and Democrats with liberals. All I'm trying to say is that those parties, as we have traditionally thought of them our entire lives (I'm 42), are no longer the same things. As a person raised in a Republican household and with conservative values, my disappointment with what the Republican Party has become is greater because I hold them to a higher standard, and I don't think the party as a whole is acting with those traditional values in mind any longer. 20 years ago, I would have bet a lot of money that I would never vote for a Democrat, but I feel that party has changed as well. I'm not registered with either party, because I don't really like either party now, although I split my ballot a little more towards the Democrats in the latest election. They both have good and bad sides, currently I feel the Rep. Party is worse than the Dem's, but neither is good. We need a 3rd party so desperately, as well as term limits and campaign finance reform.
I have a similar background. I knew next to nothing about politics growing up, and it wasn't even until into my 20s I started paying even just a little attention. But I do know my dad has always been a Republican, but by no means is he a Conservative. He's into wealth management so I think he agrees with R's fiscally, but I would say he's definitely on the liberal side of social policy. He absolutely is disgusted with the Trump invasion of the GOP and did not vote for him either time.

My dad is what I thought was a classic example of Montana politics - choosing values, hard work, and ethics above party. More about the candidate themselves than any party affiliation. It's why Montana has been purple. The way I see things going now I don't see how Montana ever goes back to that.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:34 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

We agree on one thing - assholes should be called out. And PhatCat’s diatribe showed a complete lack of character. However, you gave me a lecture on how to act, then became exhibit number one on antagonizing people. I wish that I had the temperament at times to post like AFCAT did in his response to PhatCat. It was very classy and made a great point.

I am not sure that is 20 liberals, but it feels like 20 liberals at times :lol: :lol: :lol: And as you correctly indicated, there are a ton of conservatives from MSU. But don’t you notice how few comment here? Just look at the volume of posts by iaa and Butcher alone pushing liberal agendas. And when one of the few vocal conservatives post, it seems like open season on conservatives.

I actually identified as a liberal Democrat for the first 30 years of my life. As young people (and a minority), didn’t we all identify as liberal Democrats striving for a perfect world. As I got older (and made more money), my thoughts changed. I am still very liberal on racial and many societal issues, but I am conservative on governmental and economic issues. I think a lot of us probably fall into a libertarian category, but there is no leadership or real organization to support. I won’t support a nut job like the guy (leader in libertarian party) who harassed the Gallatin county health guy.

Our options are really limited. Not sure if you read this earlier, but I actually wrote in Jeff Choate on my ballot versus Rosendale or Williams. I would definitely embrace change, but I think the liberal agendas promoted by the Democrats have gone too far left.

Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 am
The GOP think you have a right to social media but not healthcare. Go figure. :shrug:
This is an honest question, based on my life experience. Instead of trying to fix it from the consumer side, how about fixing it from the middle-man (insurance providers and everything else) middle, or the provider side. When I was growing up in Bozeman, no one that I knew had “health insurance.” Doctors (who often came to your house) were paid out-of-pocket. When I was eight years old, my mom spent six weeks in Mayo’s hospital in Rochester after major emergency surgery there. My mom and dad were flown to Rochester in the middle of the night by a hired private plane. It was not easy for my dad to pay the bills (it took a loan and some time), but he paid for all of that on a tradesman’s salary. Any part of that adventure would bankrupt someone instantly now without insurance, which I guess sort of eats away at everyone. What has gone so drastically wrong with the balance of consumer vs. provider? How can it ever be fixed?

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:10 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 am
The GOP think you have a right to social media but not healthcare. Go figure. :shrug:
This is an honest question, based on my life experience. Instead of trying to fix it from the consumer side, how about fixing it from the middle-man (insurance providers and everything else) middle, or the provider side. When I was growing up in Bozeman, no one that I knew had “health insurance.” Doctors (who often came to your house) were paid out-of-pocket. When I was eight years old, my mom spent six weeks in Mayo’s hospital in Rochester after major emergency surgery there. My mom and dad were flown to Rochester in the middle of the night by a hired private plane. It was not easy for my dad to pay the bills (it took a loan and some time), but he paid for all of that on a tradesman’s salary. Any part of that adventure would bankrupt someone instantly now without insurance, which I guess sort of eats away at everyone. What has gone so drastically wrong with the balance of consumer vs. provider? How can it ever be fixed?
That is this issue- no one is putting forth bipartisan effort to fix it. It is crazy to think that you can go bankrupt from medical bills in the United States.