Republicans have no way to communicate

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Republicans have no way to communicate

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 am

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Republicans have no way to communicate

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:21 pm

If I wasn't so embarrassed for him, it'd be funny.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:30 pm

Just curious how the Democratic left would feel if they were selectively being banned from social media sites like Twitter. And whether you like or not, these social media sites have become a prime way to communicate with constituents.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:30 pm
Just curious how the Democratic left would feel if they were selectively being banned from social media sites like Twitter. And whether you like or not, these social media sites have become a prime way to communicate with constituents.
Don't have to worry about it since I'm not an imbecile breaking laws and rules.
The right harps on the first amendment and private business rights until something happens to them. The hypocrisy never ends.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
The right harps on the first amendment and private business rights until something happens to them. The hypocrisy never ends.
The only hypocrisy I see is the response by the liberal left. Hasn’t the liberal left always fought for free speech? Wasn’t that one of the rights that was used to justify the protests/riots over the summer? Now none of that matters to the left because they don’t agree with the politics. Doesn’t censorship/banning of those social media accounts sound more like communist China that the USA?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The only hypocrisy I see is the response by the liberal left. Hasn’t the liberal left always fought for free speech? Wasn’t that one of the rights that was used to justify the protests/riots over the summer? Now none of that matters to the left because they don’t agree with the politics. Doesn’t censorship/banning of those social media accounts sound more like communist China that the USA?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... exceptions

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:31 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 pm

Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I don’t know, maybe you should actually read the Constitution and the First Amendment. I’ll give you the quick version: it’s about the government not being able to censor free speech. Nothing in there about private companies. They also have freedom, to do whatever they want with the platforms they’ve created. I’m pretty sure that if my creation was being used to incite violence, terrorism, and insurrection against our own country, I’d be pissed and cut those people off too.

Or perhaps you missed the irony of the OP?

GO CATS GO!!!

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:09 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I don’t know, maybe you should actually read the Constitution and the First Amendment. I’ll give you the quick version: it’s about the government not being able to censor free speech. Nothing in there about private companies. They also have freedom, to do whatever they want with the platforms they’ve created. I’m pretty sure that if my creation was being used to incite violence, terrorism, and insurrection against our own country, I’d be pissed and cut those people off too.

Wow! I didn’t know there was that many liberal constitutional scholars out there!!! Great stuff fellas!

I am guessing that your information on the Constitution and First Amendment was aimed at your fellow liberal cohort Catblitz. He is the one that brought up the First Amendment. My original post was that social media has become a primary way to communicate with constituents and how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off.

And given your condescending response, maybe you should read up on Section 230 - you know the law that protects internet companies from liability due to content posted by their users. Given that Facebook and other private companies were providing a forum for users to share their thoughts, the govt provided them some legal protection. Since these private companies are actively determining what is appropriate or factual, they are going to lose this protection afforded by the government.

I did make a casual observation though that banning social media accounts of politicians seems to be something that could easily occur in China - not the US! You don’t need a constitutional scholar to make that casual observation.

And lastly, maybe you could private message Catblitz and help with the First Amendment questions.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:36 pm

Wouldn't getting rid of section 230 actually increase moderation/banning because it would take away their liability protections? I'd appreciate one of the mods to give their opinion and how it would affect Bobcat Nation.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:56 pm

Anyone who's mad about this should just think of Twitter/Apple/Google as bakeries and Donald Trump as a gay couple that wants to buy a wedding cake.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:02 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:56 pm
Anyone who's mad about this should just think of Twitter/Apple/Google as bakeries and Donald Trump as a gay couple that wants to buy a wedding cake.
Disagree, there’s nothing discriminatory about this.....I look at it more as a bar that finally kicked a beligerient guy out after multiple warnings.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:04 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:02 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Disagree, there’s nothing discriminatory about this.....I look at it more as a bar that finally kicked a beligerient guy out after multiple warnings.
That's fair. I look at it more as that a private company can deny service to anyone they want.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:04 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:02 pm
MSU01 wrote:
That's fair. I look at it more as that a private company can deny service to anyone they want.
For sure.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:36 pm
Wouldn't getting rid of section 230 actually increase moderation/banning because it would take away their liability protections? I'd appreciate one of the mods to give their opinion and how it would affect Bobcat Nation.
I'll be honest, I haven't investigated this really in depth but my current understanding if section 230 goes away for sites like this I probably seriously consider shutting it down. As I said in my announcement this morning I just don't have time to police everything and put warnings, disclaimers or remove disinformation, slander, etc. If I am suddenly liable for all of the things that the people here say, it becomes pretty scary for me. And I'm not even thinking of this particular issues board on this. Think of the kid that loses a scholly cause someone here outs him for something illegal, think of the things that happened on certain other boards when people spoke out against Bobby coming back to the Griz and there actually WAS legal action. I just don't really want to be a part of that, so yeah removal of that protection is gonna be a pretty big deal to a small project type site like this one.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:24 pm

Thanks kmax.

Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 pm

MSU01 wrote:
I think that the sign "No shoes no shirts no service" is a far better/accurate example to use if you're going to use what businesses can and can't do in regard to denying service to would be customers.

I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:02 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:09 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Wow! I didn’t know there was that many liberal constitutional scholars out there!!! Great stuff fellas!

I am guessing that your information on the Constitution and First Amendment was aimed at your fellow liberal cohort Catblitz. He is the one that brought up the First Amendment. My original post was that social media has become a primary way to communicate with constituents and how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off.

And given your condescending response, maybe you should read up on Section 230 - you know the law that protects internet companies from liability due to content posted by their users. Given that Facebook and other private companies were providing a forum for users to share their thoughts, the govt provided them some legal protection. Since these private companies are actively determining what is appropriate or factual, they are going to lose this protection afforded by the government.

I did make a casual observation though that banning social media accounts of politicians seems to be something that could easily occur in China - not the US! You don’t need a constitutional scholar to make that casual observation.

And lastly, maybe you could private message Catblitz and help with the First Amendment questions.
Diverting as usual. I expect nothing different.

GO CATS GO!!!

Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:03 pm

Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Oh? What do you actually know about censorship/banning in China?

I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:02 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:09 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Diverting as usual. I expect nothing different.
I mean he blatantly brought up the banned Trump accounts and cited China...
Yet deflected and sidestepped the conversation of a literal Amendment in our Constitution. Last I saw, that was here not there.
He's asking the question, "...how would Democrats feel of their access was cut off." Well... If I saw the same ****** posted on Parler, Twitter, etc... that I've seen from the right, yeah, ban that ******. Unreal.