Just wait, it'll trickle down

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14625
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:50 pm



MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14625
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:52 pm

https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen ... -000-bonus

I guess that's not exactly true and would take some doing to pull off.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9531
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:00 am



"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am

Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.



wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by wapiti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am

wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
Not many economists would agree with you. In the last 50 years advanced economies have found that tax cuts for the rich widened inequality without having any significant effect on jobs or growth.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-build-up

Just look at the pandemic- America’s 651 billionaires has jumped by over $1trillion while millions of Americans have slipped into poverty and food scarcity and homelessness is on the rise.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-a ... ousing-and

Trickle down economics might have worked 100+ years ago, but it isn't working now.



wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by wapiti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:41 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
Not many economists would agree with you. In the last 50 years advanced economies have found that tax cuts for the rich widened inequality without having any significant effect on jobs or growth.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-build-up

Just look at the pandemic- America’s 651 billionaires has jumped by over $1trillion while millions of Americans have slipped into poverty and food scarcity and homelessness is on the rise.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-a ... ousing-and

Trickle down economics might have worked 100+ years ago, but it isn't working now.
What do you mean by "widened inequality"?
Last edited by wapiti on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6092
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:42 am

wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... n-is-a-lie

We've tried trickle down numerous times and while, like anything you throw money at, it starts out okay, it ends up a disaster. So instead of trying it again, when (aside from after a recession and it has worked every time) do we get to try trickle up economics ? Just give the middle class and lower class more money by decreasing their taxes and raise taxes on the rich. People that suddenly have more money will spend the money and the rich will get it back.

http://www.faireconomy.org/trickle_down ... ur_reasons



wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by wapiti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:44 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:42 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... n-is-a-lie

We've tried trickle down numerous times and while, like anything you throw money at, it starts out okay, it ends up a disaster. So instead of trying it again, when (aside from after a recession and it has worked every time) do we get to try trickle up economics ? Just give the middle class and lower class more money by decreasing their taxes and raise taxes on the rich. People that suddenly have more money will spend the money and the rich will get it back.

http://www.faireconomy.org/trickle_down ... ur_reasons
https://youtu.be/rrkHn5Fd6zM



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:46 am

wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:41 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
Not many economists would agree with you. In the last 50 years advanced economies have found that tax cuts for the rich widened inequality without having any significant effect on jobs or growth.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-build-up

Just look at the pandemic- America’s 651 billionaires has jumped by over $1trillion while millions of Americans have slipped into poverty and food scarcity and homelessness is on the rise.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-a ... ousing-and

Trickle down economics might have worked 100+ years ago, but it isn't working now.
What do you mean by "widened inequality"?
I don't understand your question.
Anyway; my argument is based on data, perhaps you could do the same so I can understand your perception based on fact not theory?



wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by wapiti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:54 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:46 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:41 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
Not many economists would agree with you. In the last 50 years advanced economies have found that tax cuts for the rich widened inequality without having any significant effect on jobs or growth.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-build-up

Just look at the pandemic- America’s 651 billionaires has jumped by over $1trillion while millions of Americans have slipped into poverty and food scarcity and homelessness is on the rise.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-a ... ousing-and

Trickle down economics might have worked 100+ years ago, but it isn't working now.
What do you mean by "widened inequality"?
I don't understand your question.
Anyway; my argument is based on data, perhaps you could do the same so I can understand your perception based on fact not theory?
So you do not understand you own statement???

What do you mean by widened inequality?

What is so evil about inequality?

If you are referring to financial equality, then most likely everyone will be poor. If everyone is poor then everyone will be financially equal.

But under capitalism everyone is given a chance to make themselves better. No, not everyone will have the same opportunity, but everyone is given a chance. Here in the US, we probably have one the the most even playing fields for people to better themselves. But liberals seem to want to destroy this opportunity to better yourself. Instead, it is suppose to be up to the government to better the people.

The video I linked by John Stossel explains it quite well.



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:05 am

wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:54 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:46 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:41 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
Not many economists would agree with you. In the last 50 years advanced economies have found that tax cuts for the rich widened inequality without having any significant effect on jobs or growth.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-build-up

Just look at the pandemic- America’s 651 billionaires has jumped by over $1trillion while millions of Americans have slipped into poverty and food scarcity and homelessness is on the rise.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-a ... ousing-and

Trickle down economics might have worked 100+ years ago, but it isn't working now.
What do you mean by "widened inequality"?
I don't understand your question.
Anyway; my argument is based on data, perhaps you could do the same so I can understand your perception based on fact not theory?
So you do not understand you own statement???

What do you mean by widened inequality?

What is so evil about inequality?

If you are referring to financial equality, then most likely everyone will be poor. If everyone is poor then everyone will be financially equal.

But under capitalism everyone is given a chance to make themselves better. No, not everyone will have the same opportunity, but everyone is given a chance. Here in the US, we probably have one the the most even playing fields for people to better themselves. But liberals seem to want to destroy this opportunity to better yourself. Instead, it is suppose to be up to the government to better the people.

The video I linked by John Stossel explains it quite well.
You said "widen equality" and now you changed it to what I actually posted "widen inequality". So I didn't understand your post when you change my wording...

If you don't understand the growing gap of equality in the USA here you go:
U.S. Income Inequality Worsens, Widening To A New Gap : NPR. U.S. Income Inequality Worsens, Widening To A New Gap The gap between the richest and the poorest U.S. households is now the largest it's been in the past 50 years, the U.S. Census Bureau says.

Recent studies demonstrate that inequality is bad for everyone in society. Some of the pain is economic (which I suspect is what you are focusing on): The studies suggest that the inequality depresses economic growth, leaving less for society to divvy up — regardless of how its members decide to do so. Additionally, I don't think I need to explain how being in poverty is bad...

Finally; the video is an Op-Ed. Some cherry picked data, but overall nothing of substance. I would be interested to see a economist's study about trickle down economics instead of Stossel.



wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by wapiti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:18 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:05 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:54 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:46 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:41 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
Not many economists would agree with you. In the last 50 years advanced economies have found that tax cuts for the rich widened inequality without having any significant effect on jobs or growth.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-build-up

Just look at the pandemic- America’s 651 billionaires has jumped by over $1trillion while millions of Americans have slipped into poverty and food scarcity and homelessness is on the rise.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-a ... ousing-and

Trickle down economics might have worked 100+ years ago, but it isn't working now.
What do you mean by "widened inequality"?
I don't understand your question.
Anyway; my argument is based on data, perhaps you could do the same so I can understand your perception based on fact not theory?
So you do not understand you own statement???

What do you mean by widened inequality?

What is so evil about inequality?

If you are referring to financial equality, then most likely everyone will be poor. If everyone is poor then everyone will be financially equal.

But under capitalism everyone is given a chance to make themselves better. No, not everyone will have the same opportunity, but everyone is given a chance. Here in the US, we probably have one the the most even playing fields for people to better themselves. But liberals seem to want to destroy this opportunity to better yourself. Instead, it is suppose to be up to the government to better the people.

The video I linked by John Stossel explains it quite well.
You said "widen equality" and now you changed it to what I actually posted "widen inequality". So I didn't understand your post when you change my wording...

If you don't understand the growing gap of equality in the USA here you go:
U.S. Income Inequality Worsens, Widening To A New Gap : NPR. U.S. Income Inequality Worsens, Widening To A New Gap The gap between the richest and the poorest U.S. households is now the largest it's been in the past 50 years, the U.S. Census Bureau says.

Recent studies demonstrate that inequality is bad for everyone in society. Some of the pain is economic (which I suspect is what you are focusing on): The studies suggest that the inequality depresses economic growth, leaving less for society to divvy up — regardless of how its members decide to do so. Additionally, I don't think I need to explain how being in poverty is bad...

Finally; the video is an Op-Ed. Some cherry picked data, but overall nothing of substance. I would be interested to see a economist's study about trickle down economics instead of Stossel.
And what is so wrong about this so called gap of income equality?

This income inequality you speak of is one of the things that makes America so great.

I want people to have the opportunity to earn a better income for themselves.

The richest in America currently pay the most in taxes.
Americans have no idea what poverty really is. The poorest in America are doing well compared most of the impoverished around the world.
The poor here in America are given a chance to better themselves. If the government steps in and says being rich is bad, now give me a large percentage of your wealth, that will take away from the incentives to better yourself.

I want to see Bernie Sanders, George Soros, Bill Gates, Bezos and the many other very wealthy liberals start to freely give their wealth to the US government before we require the government to take from the rich.

the Democratic party seems to be the party of the rich and for the rich.



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:04 am

wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:18 am

And what is so wrong about this so called gap of income equality?

This income inequality you speak of is one of the things that makes America so great.
No reason to argue. You think inequality is good, and I disagree.



wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by wapiti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:04 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:18 am

And what is so wrong about this so called gap of income equality?

This income inequality you speak of is one of the things that makes America so great.
No reason to argue. You think inequality is good, and I disagree.
I think income inequality is good. I had better specify that otherwise you will misuse what I said.

If you think the government should mandate income equality that will open a can of worms and will most likely lead to everyone being poor.



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3639
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by Cataholic » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:35 am

Good business people don’t spend money unless there is an incentive. If the company is growing, they hire more people. They pay out bonuses. They diversify and pursue new opportunities. They spend more money that supports other businesses. That is trickle down economics. But don’t get that confused with people who make too much money. Just because Bill Gates has $$$$, it does not take away from the fact that he created hundreds of thousands of jobs. He has spent billions in expendipand created new jobs. In theory, his initial business venture is a great example of the trickle down effect. And he has created thousands of multi-millionaires in the process.

I agree that Gates can afford to pay more on taxes. Seriously, does he really need more than $100 million per year? A tax on the Uber rich makes sense on many levels, but let’s also provide them reasons to distribute that wealth to avoid paying those taxes. If Gates was told that he has to pay $50 million in taxes or the alternative is that he could spend $50 million on a new school in inner city Baltimore, I bet he builds the school.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6092
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 pm

wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:44 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:42 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... n-is-a-lie

We've tried trickle down numerous times and while, like anything you throw money at, it starts out okay, it ends up a disaster. So instead of trying it again, when (aside from after a recession and it has worked every time) do we get to try trickle up economics ? Just give the middle class and lower class more money by decreasing their taxes and raise taxes on the rich. People that suddenly have more money will spend the money and the rich will get it back.

http://www.faireconomy.org/trickle_down ... ur_reasons
https://youtu.be/rrkHn5Fd6zM
You're going to use John Stossel to support your opinions? Good luck. Stossel believes in the legalization of blackmail, among other things.

In a 1996 address to the Federalist Society, Stossel was asked why he gave up being a consumer advocate in favor of being a corporatist/libertarian shill. His response: "I got sick of it. I also now make so much money I just lost interest in saving a buck on a can of peas."



wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by wapiti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 pm
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:44 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:42 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:02 am
Trickle down economics doesn't work. The Republican party has been saying this since the 1980s, but the wealth gap has only increased. It sounds good in theory, but it hasn't worked.
Under capitalism, when the rich get richer the poor get richer too. Yes, the gap may widen, but both groups do better financially.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... n-is-a-lie

We've tried trickle down numerous times and while, like anything you throw money at, it starts out okay, it ends up a disaster. So instead of trying it again, when (aside from after a recession and it has worked every time) do we get to try trickle up economics ? Just give the middle class and lower class more money by decreasing their taxes and raise taxes on the rich. People that suddenly have more money will spend the money and the rich will get it back.

http://www.faireconomy.org/trickle_down ... ur_reasons
https://youtu.be/rrkHn5Fd6zM
You're going to use John Stossel to support your opinions? Good luck. Stossel believes in the legalization of blackmail, among other things.

In a 1996 address to the Federalist Society, Stossel was asked why he gave up being a consumer advocate in favor of being a corporatist/libertarian shill. His response: "I got sick of it. I also now make so much money I just lost interest in saving a buck on a can of peas."
You made quite the jump to assume I agree with everything John Stossel says. He has just as many videos that are duds as are excellent.

On the video I linked John had a very excellent point and message to convey.

Does anyone on here have a good definition of what income inequality is??? and parameters to be used to determine it has been solved????

Should someone who is lazy or high on drugs or unreliable be paid the same as someone who is a hard worker and sober and reliable?

and how will higher taxes fix anything in our government or society?
Let's first fix the huge spending problem.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14625
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:26 pm

As a strong, critical thinking moderate I think taxes should go to creating clean air and water for all. Things like that. Not tax breaks for the richers. Not free money for the capable.

Overpopulation education should be funded. As should health education. High schools need to increase the number of core credits in any combination of the true sciences.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10485
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Just wait, it'll trickle down

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:20 pm

This is a bad thing?




Post Reply