COVID Vaccine

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Will you get the COVID Vaccine when made available?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:50 am

Yes- as soon as possible
56%
Yes- but I will wait awhile
22%
No
22%
Unsure
No votes

Total votes: 27

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: COVID Vaccine

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:11 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:56 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:10 am
So I quickly browsed through the articles Tom supplied. It seems that the Federal give has allocated 15.7 million does but only 2.3 million doses have been administered. It sounds like the problem as has not been getting the vaccines to each facility, it has been the actual giving of the vaccine that has seen issues which is governed locally. Problems from software issues to special treatment on who gets the vaccine. Aren’t these what local regulators required to maintain control?
It's both a delivery problem - most places are not receiving the number of vaccine doses that they were expecting - and an even bigger administration problem. Here's a start to a solution:

https://www.romney.senate.gov/romney-ur ... ation-plan
These are great ideas. I think they have merit and should be pursued. However, the states have expressed that they want to control the distribution locally. Some even threatened litigation and the federal administration. And it says that some sites are not getting what they expected - but once again - it is not clear if the shortfall that is due to state or federal authorities.

I think Romney’s ideas make sense, but how much of his statement is political. He despises Trump and has made statements to make Trump look bad in the past. If Romney really believes in these new ideas and it is not a political statement, why isn’t Romney working with his own state to make these things happen? He should be working with his state leaders and making all of this become a reality. I have become jaded and a cynic when it comes to anything political, but if Romney want to be a leader, actually do something beyond issuing a press release.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:25 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:11 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
So I quickly browsed through the articles Tom supplied. It seems that the Federal give has allocated 15.7 million does but only 2.3 million doses have been administered. It sounds like the problem as has not been getting the vaccines to each facility, it has been the actual giving of the vaccine that has seen issues which is governed locally. Problems from software issues to special treatment on who gets the vaccine. Aren’t these what local regulators required to maintain control?
It's both a delivery problem - most places are not receiving the number of vaccine doses that they were expecting - and an even bigger administration problem. Here's a start to a solution:

These are great ideas. I think they have merit and should be pursued. However, the states have expressed that they want to control the distribution locally. Some even threatened litigation and the federal administration. And it says that some sites are not getting what they expected - but once again - it is not clear if the shortfall that is due to state or federal authorities.

I think Romney’s ideas make sense, but how much of his statement is political. He despises Trump and has made statements to make Trump look bad in the past. If Romney really believes in these new ideas and it is not a political statement, why isn’t Romney working with his own state to make these things happen? He should be working with his state leaders and making all of this become a reality. I have become jaded and a cynic when it comes to anything political, but if Romney want to be a leader, actually do something beyond issuing a press release.
I kind of assume that Romney is trying to do something more than just post a press release, but it's not like he has unilateral power to do anything. He's also coming from the same state as Mike Lee, one of the 7 Republican sheep who voted to not overturn Trump's veto of the defense bill. Even Satan himself, er I mean McConnell, didn't vote for that. So, I would assume that doing anything in the state of Utah that has any inkling of anti-Trump policy/bias would get shot down.

I do agree completely, though, stop the politics and flippin' DO something, already!

GO CATS GO!!!

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:44 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:25 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I kind of assume that Romney is trying to do something more than just post a press release, but it's not like he has unilateral power to do anything. He's also coming from the same state as Mike Lee, one of the 7 Republican sheep who voted to not overturn Trump's veto of the defense bill. Even Satan himself, er I mean McConnell, didn't vote for that. So, I would assume that doing anything in the state of Utah that has any inkling of anti-Trump policy/bias would get shot down.

I do agree completely, though, stop the politics and flippin' DO something, already!
What I don’t understand though is why does Romney’s ideas have to be perceived as anti-Trump? If he just came out said let’s figure this out, I have some ideas, let’s implement this in Utah and be a model for the US. Instead he has to issue a press release and point fingers at the current admin. We need somebody to be a leader, put their personal agendas and truly make a difference. Romney does not have unilateral authority, but I bet he could make a huge impact in his jurisdiction to start with.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:36 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:44 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What I don’t understand though is why does Romney’s ideas have to be perceived as anti-Trump? If he just came out said let’s figure this out, I have some ideas, let’s implement this in Utah and be a model for the US. Instead he has to issue a press release and point fingers at the current admin. We need somebody to be a leader, put their personal agendas and truly make a difference. Romney does not have unilateral authority, but I bet he could make a huge impact in his jurisdiction to start with.
Agree, to a point. For all I know, hopefully Romney IS trying to do something in Utah. I didn’t read his press release as being all that hard against the administration, although to an extent that can be inferred. It mostly just suggested that what we are currently doing is not working, and that the federal government should at least be helping provide a framework for the states to work off of. Right now, the feds aren’t really doing much of anything, and that’s a big part of the problem.

GO CATS GO!!!

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:30 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:36 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:44 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Agree, to a point. For all I know, hopefully Romney IS trying to do something in Utah. I didn’t read his press release as being all that hard against the administration, although to an extent that can be inferred. It mostly just suggested that what we are currently doing is not working, and that the federal government should at least be helping provide a framework for the states to work off of. Right now, the feds aren’t really doing much of anything, and that’s a big part of the problem.
I would be good with the feds doing more, but the states have rejected those efforts. The federal administration can’t win. If they interject themselves more in the process, the states complain and the states have even threatened litigation. Instead, the feds have let the states do what they requested, and then people complain the feds aren’t doing enough.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:43 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:30 pm

I would be good with the feds doing more, but the states have rejected those efforts. The federal administration can’t win. If they interject themselves more in the process, the states complain and the states have even threatened litigation. Instead, the feds have let the states do what they requested, and then people complain the feds aren’t doing enough.
Can you please provide a source for this post? I haven't heard any states rejecting help from the feds to help get vaccines in people's arms.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:34 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:43 am
Cataholic wrote:

Can you please provide a source for this post? I haven't heard any states rejecting help from the feds to help get vaccines in people's arms.
https://nypost.com/2020/11/15/cuomo-thr ... ution/amp/

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:34 am
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Cuomo wants transparency from the federal government and a plan to get the vaccine to those communities that have been impacted the most. That is not rejecting fed efforts to help with the vaccine. In the link he even stated, "“Don’t tell us it’s the state’s responsibility without giving the state the resources to do the job.’’ In other words he WANTS help from the feds.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 am
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Cuomo wants transparency from the federal government and a plan to get the vaccine to those communities that have been impacted the most. That is not rejecting fed efforts to help with the vaccine. In the link he even stated, "“Don’t tell us it’s the state’s responsibility without giving the state the resources to do the job.’’ In other words he WANTS help from the feds.
He wants money from the feds. And he has been the most vocal about maintaining control of the distribution process. Trumps has allowed states to maintain control of distribution and that has resulted in various levels success or failure.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/09/cuomo-cov ... -azar/amp/
In an interview with Fox News on Monday morning, Azar also said that it was Cuomo, not President Trump, who was in charge of distributing the vaccine in New York.

“It’s just absolutely unconscionable that somebody would want to delay a vaccine to the American people that’s safe and effective just for political partisan reasons,” Azar said after Cuomo earlier Monday called a Pfizer breakthrough on a vaccine “bad news.”

“Here’s the really interesting thing, Operation Warp Speed is working very closely with Gov. Cuomo’s health commissioner, Dr. Howard Zucker and his team, because guess who’s actually in charge of distributing within any state? The governor is,” Azar continued.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:44 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

He wants money from the feds. And he has been the most vocal about maintaining control of the distribution process. Trumps has allowed states to maintain control of distribution and that has resulted in various levels success or failure.

In an interview with Fox News on Monday morning, Azar also said that it was Cuomo, not President Trump, who was in charge of distributing the vaccine in New York.

“It’s just absolutely unconscionable that somebody would want to delay a vaccine to the American people that’s safe and effective just for political partisan reasons,” Azar said after Cuomo earlier Monday called a Pfizer breakthrough on a vaccine “bad news.”

“Here’s the really interesting thing, Operation Warp Speed is working very closely with Gov. Cuomo’s health commissioner, Dr. Howard Zucker and his team, because guess who’s actually in charge of distributing within any state? The governor is,” Azar continued.
Cuomo today was blaming hospitals and local leaders for the delay in distribution. He has created a complete sh1t show in New York, blames everyone else, and doesn’t even realize that the state is responsible for the distribution.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/04/gov-cuomo ... tions/amp/

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:44 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Cuomo today was blaming hospitals and local leaders for the delay in distribution. He has created a complete sh1t show in New York, blames everyone else, and doesn’t even realize that the state is responsible for the distribution.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/04/gov-cuomo ... tions/amp/
With such a rousing success he should be expecting another emmy award. Job well done mario "the pious"!!!