COVID 19 deaths by day

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: COVID 19 deaths by day

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:04 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:39 am
RickRund wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:47 pm
Interesting article on covid and some idea of its start here.

https://bgr.com/2020/11/16/coronavirus- ... e-thought/#
Thanks for sharing, I had not seen that. Also, it doesn't surprise me in the least and I've talked to a lot of others that have always said we felt this thing has been around a lot longer than starting in March. I'm sure everyone else reading this board has talked to the friends and family that "swear I had this thing last year". It's just hard to say for sure because for the majority of people that get it, it does feel like a bad cold. For me the #1 difference was the complete loss of smell for a few days.
I really thought this was a possibility. Amazing the end of the world didn’t transpire when we didn’t shut down the world economy in 2019.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:06 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:04 am
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Thanks for sharing, I had not seen that. Also, it doesn't surprise me in the least and I've talked to a lot of others that have always said we felt this thing has been around a lot longer than starting in March. I'm sure everyone else reading this board has talked to the friends and family that "swear I had this thing last year". It's just hard to say for sure because for the majority of people that get it, it does feel like a bad cold. For me the #1 difference was the complete loss of smell for a few days.
I really thought this was a possibility. Amazing the end of the world didn’t transpire when we didn’t shut down the world economy in 2019.
We never did shutdown the world economy, but keep that misinformation superhighway rolling.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:13 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:06 am
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

We never did shutdown the world economy, but keep that misinformation superhighway rolling.
??? What planet do you get your information? I am pretty sure that the majority of the worlds economic powers basically shut down, specifically Europe.

Oh by the way, after accusing me of misinformation on the Detroit legislator making threats, you never followed up. What did I misinterpret?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:13 am
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

??? What planet do you get your information? I am pretty sure that the majority of the worlds economic powers basically shut down, specifically Europe.
In my opinion, saying the economy wasn't shutdown is akin to saying the virus is the same as the flu. I find both takes interesting. I got in an argument with a guy a couple weeks ago because he told me I was exaggerating when I said how bad the kids are getting screwed with their education. Said it's not that bad, and kids will be fine. It's like some people want so bad to show just how deadly and dangerous the virus is, that they're willing to downplay all of the other terrible things happening, lives ruined, and yes....even deaths!

To be fair, some people do the exact same thing when they act like the virus is some crazy hoax. It's been amazing to dive into both sides over the last year.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:31 am

Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Oh by the way, after accusing me of misinformation on the Detroit legislator making threats, you never followed up. What did I misinterpret?
Read the link I posted. She never made death threats and the threats she did make were taken completely out of context.

*WE* meaning the United States, did not shut down the World Economy. Sorry, but that's simple misinformation and exactly what you do with other people's posts.
Last edited by iaafan on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 am
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

In my opinion, saying the economy wasn't shutdown is akin to saying the virus is the same as the flu. I find both takes interesting. I got in an argument with a guy a couple weeks ago because he told me I was exaggerating when I said how bad the kids are getting screwed with their education. Said it's not that bad, and kids will be fine. It's like some people want so bad to show just how deadly and dangerous the virus is, that they're willing to downplay all of the other terrible things happening, lives ruined, and yes....even deaths!

To be fair, some people do the exact same thing when they act like the virus is some crazy hoax. It's been amazing to dive into both sides over the last year.
*Some people* wanted so bad for the economy to not be shut down that they tried to say that the experts projecting how bad things "could" get (2 million deaths) were wrong. Shutting down the economy saved 2.7 million lives. Did also ruin some peoples livelihoods and cause some suicides? Yes. Was it worth it? I'd say yes. Really bad is worse than just bad.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-economy ... ion-lives/

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:16 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:39 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

*Some people* wanted so bad for the economy to not be shut down that they tried to say that the experts projecting how bad things "could" get (2 million deaths) were wrong. Shutting down the economy saved 2.7 million lives. Did also ruin some peoples livelihoods and cause some suicides? Yes. Was it worth it? I'd say yes. Really bad is worse than just bad.

I don't deny that. But with all due respect, with what we know so far, and how much we DON'T know, it seems pretty premature to me to say definitively that shutting down the economy saved 2.7 million lives. It hasn't exactly been a perfect science.

And if those numbers are indeed correct, we're being HORRIBLY irresponsible by reopening bars, restaurants, businesses and schools. Seems to me that if shutting those businesses for a few months in the spring saved almost 3 million lives, then reopening them or partially reopening them the last 6 months you'd think would attribute to way more deaths that we are seeing?

I'm just asking? Throughout this whole ordeal we're learning. We now know the virus was in the states as early as December. As time goes on who's to say it won't be even earlier? I just have a hard time accepting these numbers as facts when so much has changed as time goes on.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:33 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:16 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I don't deny that. But with all due respect, with what we know so far, and how much we DON'T know, it seems pretty premature to me to say definitively that shutting down the economy saved 2.7 million lives. It hasn't exactly been a perfect science.

And if those numbers are indeed correct, we're being HORRIBLY irresponsible by reopening bars, restaurants, businesses and schools. Seems to me that if shutting those businesses for a few months in the spring saved almost 3 million lives, then reopening them or partially reopening them the last 6 months you'd think would attribute to way more deaths that we are seeing?

I'm just asking? Throughout this whole ordeal we're learning. We now know the virus was in the states as early as December. As time goes on who's to say it won't be even earlier? I just have a hard time accepting these numbers as facts when so much has changed as time goes on.
How high does it have to go? When we shutdown the deaths dropped down to about 600/day. Being partially re-opened has driven them to over 3,000/day.

The projected numbers aren't facts, they're based on best evidence. Science goes off best evidence. Evidence is "factual," until new evidence comes along to override it. Scientists are constantly searching for more evidence, especially in cases like this new coronavirus, to either reinforce the theory or disprove it. A true scientists doesn't care what the evidence shows, just that they add the evidence to the theory. There could come a day when the evidence shows that Covid wasn't killing anyone, and at that point scientists would accept it and even be excited by it.

Scientists don't go solely off hunches, which is what a lot of people are doing. If something doesn't seem logical to them or if it doesn't fit their agendy, then they decide the scientists are wrong and they're right. What a lot of people don't realize is that scientists spend most of their time trying to disprove their own hypothesis. They don't want to give advice unless there's strong evidence because they don't want wrong and have people suffer due to their mistake and also because they know other scientists are going to review their work and they don't want to lose credibility.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm

1. 3,265 - December 9
2. 2,985 - December 10
3. 2,960 - December 8
4. 2,922 - December 3
5. 2,873 - December 2
6. 2,744 - April 21
7. 2,713 - December 4
8. 2,695 - April 15
9. 2,669 - December 1
10. 2,633 - April 14

Didn't hit 3,000 yesterday, but I'm using worldometers.com and they didn't show anything for Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas. No cases or deaths. Other sites had it over 3,000.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:51 pm

catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

And for me the biggest symptom was NO taste. Had a couple other minor symptoms but the taste was the worst. Patti never did seem to have a problem with no taste.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:21 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm
1. 3,265 - December 9
2. 3,107 - December 10
3. 2,960 - December 8
4. 2,922 - December 3
5. 2,873 - December 2
6. 2,744 - April 21
7. 2,713 - December 4
8. 2,695 - April 15
9. 2,669 - December 1
10. 2,633 - April 14

Didn't hit 3,000 yesterday, but I'm using worldometers.com and they didn't show anything for Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas. No cases or deaths. Other sites had it over 3,000.
Looks like it is still updating and went past 3,000.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:25 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:31 am
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Read the link I posted. She never made death threats and the threats she did make were taken completely out of context.

*WE* meaning the United States, did not shut down the World Economy. Sorry, but that's simple misinformation and exactly what you do with other people's posts.
Did you really think that I meant the US had the authority to shut down other world economies? I know that you don’t like me, but you are just creating reasons to argue. If you really believe that is what I meant, I hope you didn’t get your education at MSU, because that is pathetic.

And here is the quote from Cynthia Johnson. And no Democrats have denounced her comments. Aren’t you being a hypocrite by giving her a pass? And you also made a direct attack on my ability to read? Hmmm..
“So this is just a warning to you Trumpers. Be careful, walk lightly, we ain’t playing with you. Enough of the shenanigans. Enough is enough,” she said in a three-minute-long video, warning harassers that the FBI had already identified one of the individuals.

“And for those of you who are soldiers, you know how to do it. Do it right, be in order, make them pay,” she continued.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:49 pm

catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I was just thinking about this and the additional insight it provides. This is clear evidence that the virus was around as early as last summer. Doesn’t that mean the total number of Covid cases are significantly underreported? Doesn’t more cases translate to a much lower death rate for Covid?

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:05 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:37 pm
I just read an article and thought of this post. Democrat Liberal stalwart Bernie Sanders seems to think the Democrats are responsible for this delay.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/08/bernie-sa ... elief/amp/
WASHINGTON — Sen. Bernie Sanders admitted that fellow Democrats, led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, were responsible for delaying urgently needed coronavirus relief by walking away from the White House’s offer of a $1.8 trillion coronavirus package.

In an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper Monday, the socialist two-time presidential candidate noted Pelosi’s hypocrisy in endorsing a smaller bipartisan $908 million deal last week after rejecting the twice-as-large proposal from President Trump in October.

“Democrats walked away from that deal because they wanted $2.2 trillion,” Tapper said.

“That’s right!” Sanders (I-Vt.) responded, confirming it was Democrats, not Republicans, who were to blame for months of inaction.

“They walked away from $1.8 trillion, was that a mistake?” Tapper asked.

“That’s what I’m saying. That’s exactly what I’m saying,” Sanders said.

“Here was a proposal much, much larger. Democrats said, ‘No, that’s not good enough,'” he continued.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:54 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:33 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:16 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
RickRund wrote:

How high does it have to go? When we shutdown the deaths dropped down to about 600/day. Being partially re-opened has driven them to over 3,000/day.

The projected numbers aren't facts, they're based on best evidence. Science goes off best evidence. Evidence is "factual," until new evidence comes along to override it. Scientists are constantly searching for more evidence, especially in cases like this new coronavirus, to either reinforce the theory or disprove it. A true scientists doesn't care what the evidence shows, just that they add the evidence to the theory. There could come a day when the evidence shows that Covid wasn't killing anyone, and at that point scientists would accept it and even be excited by it.

Scientists don't go solely off hunches, which is what a lot of people are doing. If something doesn't seem logical to them or if it doesn't fit their agendy, then they decide the scientists are wrong and they're right. What a lot of people don't realize is that scientists spend most of their time trying to disprove their own hypothesis. They don't want to give advice unless there's strong evidence because they don't want wrong and have people suffer due to their mistake and also because they know other scientists are going to review their work and they don't want to lose credibility.
Well, a couple things come to mind. It’s a virus. It’s going to spread. No matter what we do it’s going to spread. Maybe slower with the right precautions but it’s going to spread.

So comparing low numbers and deaths from March and April, when there were so many less cases, and crediting the lockdown seems disingenuous to me. That’s giving a ton of credit in my eyes. It’s no different than the people on the other side of you claiming there is no way masks work because cases and deaths have skyrocketed since the mask mandate went in effect.

Seems like you’re wanting to eat your cake and have it too. If we’re crediting shutting down businesses for saving nearly 3 million lives in the spring, seems that same logic would suggest that masks and the current limitations on businesses aren’t working because deaths and hospitalizations are at a all time high.

Or maybe it’s just that it’s a virus that is going to spread and it makes perfect sense why we have more deaths 9 months into this debacle?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 pm

This Tuesday was a little worse than last Tuesday. Was hoping the numbers might start going down after last week's rough stretch.

1. 3,265 - December 9
2. 3,107 - December 10
3. 3,031 - December 11
4. 3,001 - December 15
5. 2,960 - December 8
6. 2,922 - December 3
7. 2,873 - December 2
8. 2,744 - April 21
9. 2,713 - December 4
10. 2,695 - April 15
11. 2,669 - December 1
12. 2,633 - April 14
13. 2,601 - April 17
14. 2,582 - May 6
15. 2,541 - April 28
16. 2,459 - April 29
17. 2,420 - April 22
18. 2,413 - April 23
18. 2,413 - May 5
20. 2,332 - November 25
21. 2,309 - December 12
22. 2,283 - April 10
23. 2,280 - April 30
24. 2,278 - April 7
25. 2,256 - December 5
26. 2,255 - April 16
27. 2,212 - April 8
28. 2,210 - November 24
29. 2,177 - May 7
30. 2,151 - April 9
31. 2,114 - April 25
32. 2,070 - April 11
33. 2,067 - November 19

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:12 am

Another record for both deaths and new cases yesterday.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:29 am

1. 3,538 - December 16
2. 3,265 - December 9
3. 3,107 - December 10
4. 3,031 - December 11
5. 3,001 - December 15
6. 2,960 - December 8
7. 2,922 - December 3
8. 2,873 - December 2
9. 2,744 - April 21
10. 2,713 - December 4
11. 2,695 - April 15
12. 2,669 - December 1

Worst day yet for deaths.

SoDak now 8th, NoDak now 4th per capita. Montana 29th. In terms of cases SD and ND are 1st and 2nd. Montana 10th. In terms of testing Montana is 22nd, ND 40th, SD 47th.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:45 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:29 am

SoDak now 8th, NoDak now 4th per capita. Montana 29th. In terms of cases SD and ND are 1st and 2nd. Montana 10th. In terms of testing Montana is 22nd, ND 40th, SD 47th.
A friend of mine here in SD has been in the ICU for 10 days (also on a ventilator). She is 78 years old, so some people would write her off because of her age. A work colleague is on oxygen at his house. The hospital is delivering medical equipment because if he gets worse they are unsure there will be a bed for him. He is 67 with pre-existing health conditions, so some people would write him off too. Pretty tough in SD right now...

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:02 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:46 am
These are all the dates with 2,000 or more deaths as you can see November and December are creeping in there. Hopefully this current peak is the last as cases do appear to be stabilizing. Would be nice to be on a downward trend as the vaccines are brought on line.

1. 3,538 - December 16
2. 3,265 - December 9
3. 3,107 - December 10
4. 3,031 - December 11
5. 3,001 - December 15
6. 2,960 - December 8
7. 2,922 - December 3
8. 2,873 - December 2
9. 2,807 - December 17
10. 2,744 - April 21
11. 2,713 - December 4
12. 2,695 - April 15