COVID 19 deaths by day

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: COVID 19 deaths by day

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:47 am
Those numbers are terrible. Very sad for all those families. But we should be able to take a little solace knowing that flu and influenza deaths that kill hundreds of thousands every year have all but disappeared! That's something we should all celebrate in these crazy times. \:D/
Ding ding ding. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but again - these are the numbers I'm going to watch very closely and we've had a good discussion about how many of the COVID deaths are taking away from deaths from other causes. Jury is still out on the true impact.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:42 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Those numbers are terrible. Very sad for all those families. But we should be able to take a little solace knowing that flu and influenza deaths that kill hundreds of thousands every year have all but disappeared! That's something we should all celebrate in these crazy times. \:D/
Ding ding ding. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but again - these are the numbers I'm going to watch very closely and we've had a good discussion about how many of the COVID deaths are taking away from deaths from other causes. Jury is still out on the true impact.
The issue, with most things covid, is by suggesting this people right away jump on you like you don't care, or think the virus is a hoax.

I'm just pointing out that if we're going to continue the death ticker that has been going on since March, it's at the very least an honest question to ask when discussing the virus in relation to death....why other means of death we have every year since the beginning of time seem so low?

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:49 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:42 pm
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
The issue, with most things covid, is by suggesting this people right away jump on you like you don't care, or think the virus is a hoax.

I'm just pointing out that if we're going to continue the death ticker that has been going on since March, it's at the very least an honest question to ask when discussing the virus in relation to death....why other means of death we have every year since the beginning of time seem so low?
It is a great question! But too many people refuse to consider such concepts because it does not support their agenda.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:20 pm

1. 3,265 - December 9
2. 2,960 - December 8
3. 2,922 - December 3
4. 2,873 - December 2
5. 2,744 - April 21
6. 2,713 - December 4
7. 2,695 - April 15
8. 2,669 - December 1
9. 2,633 - April 14
10. 2,601 - April 17
11. 2,582 - May 6
12. 2,541 - April 28
13. 2,532 - December 10*
14. 2,459 - April 29

*and counting.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:34 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:22 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:16 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:14 am
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:52 am
I don't think comparing March/April with November/December in COVID response is appropriate. Unfortunately those hit early (NY and NJ) taught us lessons about the virus. Now when governors don't take the lessons learned to protect their own people that is unacceptable. The Governor of SD has made the decision to not look at the successes and failures to construct a state plan and now South Dakotans are paying a VERY high price. The current 7 day average NY has .5 deaths per 100k while SD has 2.6 deaths per 100k (the worst in the country followed by Iowa 2.2 and ND 2.1).
So you like what Cuomo has done in NY?
Would you rather at this moment in time have .5 deaths per 100k or 2.6 deaths per 100k?
For the year, NY has 181 deaths per 100,000. SD has 126 per 100,000. It does bring up the question how much of your opinion is slanted due to party affiliation.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/

And you do realize that 1 death in a nursing home in SD will skew the information much more than 1 death in a nursing home in NY due to population.
For the year? New York had approximately 25,000 of it's deaths in the first 90 days of the pandemic and about 2,150 in then next 160 days. If anyone is being swayed by their political slant, it's you. Butcher explained his rationale fairly clearly, but you seem to be ignoring it. New York didn't have the luxury of someone giving them a blueprint of what to do or having its people less concentrated. A more accurate depiction of how a state is dealing with the pandemic is from more recent data when both are on an equal playing field.

While trying to do his best Cuomo made a mistake and a lot of people lost their lives. It's very unfortunate and he needs to accept blame for that mistake. Whether you want to forgive him for that is up to you. But to do nothing while people are dying at the highest rate in the nation despite having all the tools to prevent it at your disposal is unforgiveable. It isn't political. You can be a diehard Republican and accept that. Just like a diehard Democrat can accept that Cuomo made a mistake and needs to own it.
Not sure why you are answering for Butch, but whatever...

I recall a post by Butch earlier today quoting Cuomo calling people morons on Staten Island. Butch seems to hold him in high regard so I asked the question. So when Cuomo’s actions led to the deaths of thousands of people early on, were you guys critical of him then? Did you apply the same amount of criticism to Cuomo then as you do to Noem?

From what I have seen, SD has some pretty strong restrictions in place for nursing homes. Isn’t that what we should be doing? Did you guys realize that over 80% of Covid deaths in SD came for age 70 and over? 94% of Covid deaths in SD were with age 60 and older. Isn’t that what we should be doing - focusing on protecting the elderly?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:41 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:49 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:42 pm
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

It is a great question! But too many people refuse to consider such concepts because it does not support their agenda.
Many people are considering the concepts. Here's something to consider while considering those concepts:
Many people are accessing the healthcare system in alternative settings which may or may not be captured as a part of ILINet. Therefore, ILI data, including ILI activity levels, should be interpreted with extreme caution. It is particularly important at this time to evaluate syndromic surveillance data, including that from ILINet, in the context of other sources of surveillance data to obtain a complete and accurate picture of both influenza and COVID-19 activity. CDC is tracking the COVID-19 pandemic in a weekly publication called COVIDView.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

ILI is the flu.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:34 pm
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
I don't think comparing March/April with November/December in COVID response is appropriate. Unfortunately those hit early (NY and NJ) taught us lessons about the virus. Now when governors don't take the lessons learned to protect their own people that is unacceptable. The Governor of SD has made the decision to not look at the successes and failures to construct a state plan and now South Dakotans are paying a VERY high price. The current 7 day average NY has .5 deaths per 100k while SD has 2.6 deaths per 100k (the worst in the country followed by Iowa 2.2 and ND 2.1).
Would you rather at this moment in time have .5 deaths per 100k or 2.6 deaths per 100k?
For the year, NY has 181 deaths per 100,000. SD has 126 per 100,000. It does bring up the question how much of your opinion is slanted due to party affiliation.

And you do realize that 1 death in a nursing home in SD will skew the information much more than 1 death in a nursing home in NY due to population.
For the year? New York had approximately 25,000 of it's deaths in the first 90 days of the pandemic and about 2,150 in then next 160 days. If anyone is being swayed by their political slant, it's you. Butcher explained his rationale fairly clearly, but you seem to be ignoring it. New York didn't have the luxury of someone giving them a blueprint of what to do or having its people less concentrated. A more accurate depiction of how a state is dealing with the pandemic is from more recent data when both are on an equal playing field.

While trying to do his best Cuomo made a mistake and a lot of people lost their lives. It's very unfortunate and he needs to accept blame for that mistake. Whether you want to forgive him for that is up to you. But to do nothing while people are dying at the highest rate in the nation despite having all the tools to prevent it at your disposal is unforgiveable. It isn't political. You can be a diehard Republican and accept that. Just like a diehard Democrat can accept that Cuomo made a mistake and needs to own it.

I recall a post by Butch earlier today quoting Cuomo calling people morons on Staten Island. Butch seems to hold him in high regard so I asked the question. So when Cuomo’s actions led to the deaths of thousands of people early on, were you guys critical of him then? Did you apply the same amount of criticism to Cuomo then as you do to Noem?

From what I have seen, SD has some pretty strong restrictions in place for nursing homes. Isn’t that what we should be doing? Did you guys realize that over 80% of Covid deaths in SD came for age 70 and over? 94% of Covid deaths in SD were with age 60 and older. Isn’t that what we should be doing - focusing on protecting the elderly?
iaafan covered it. Sorry you can't wrap your head around how we learn from our mistakes and successes.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:52 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:42 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:34 pm
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

iaafan covered it. Sorry you can't wrap your head around how we learn from our mistakes and successes.
Cuomo and Noem are an apples to oranges comparison. Covid in March/April/May was a whole different animal than it is now. Cuomo was trying to do his best and he made a mistake. Noem isn't trying. Cuomo was in a bad situation from the get go. I liken him to Buffalo's Don Beebe when, trailing 52-17 in the Super Bowl, he tracked down Leon Lett and knocked the ball loose and prevented another score for Dallas. It was a horrible situation he was in, but he kept trying. Had he been the reason for the turnover and not caught Lett, he still tried, which is more than I can say for Noem. People probably remember that play more than any other play in that SB. Noem is unlike anyone I can think of that played a sport. I can't think of anyone who just showed up for a game and just walked around not trying at all. And she's a leader. A governor. Imagine if Troy Andersen just went onto the field and stood around for 60 minutes letting players run by him and throw him to the ground for TFLs. I even give Roberto Duran more credit in his "No Mas" fight vs. Sugar Ray Leonard. At least Duran tried for a few rounds. Noem's hasn't tried at all from what I've seen. Maybe she has, if so please link it. Thanks in advance if you can locate anything.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:56 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:41 pm

ILI is the flu.
This is a very good tool. It will help those that keep thinking that the flu is equivalent to COVID. South Dakota's 2018-19 flu season had 43 people died and 653 were hospitalized. COVID in South Dakota since January has had 1,177 deaths and 5,025 hospitalizations.

Kind of ruins this whole flu is just as bad as COVID argument.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:28 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:56 pm
iaafan wrote:

ILI is the flu.
This is a very good tool. It will help those that keep thinking that the flu is equivalent to COVID. South Dakota's 2018-19 flu season had 43 people died and 653 were hospitalized. COVID in South Dakota since January has had 1,177 deaths and 5,025 hospitalizations.

That's what you're getting from this tracker? I'd rather look at the big picture. Below are the top 10 leading causes of death (2018 I believe) in the U.S. along with the number of deaths from each cause. Obviously the question comes in here is where does COVID fit in when it's all said and done. We all know there are a certain number of cases where doctors are listing COVID as the cause when in reality COVID was not the cause. The question is, what is the true number here. From my personal perspective, when I tested positive for COVID a couple weeks ago, if I would have gone home that evening and passed away in my sleep I'm pretty sure they would have chalked that up as a COVID death... even though it may have been something completely unrelated.

Heart disease: 655,381
Cancer: 599,274
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 167,127
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 159,486
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 147,810
Alzheimer’s disease: 122,019
Diabetes: 84,946
Influenza and pneumonia: 59,120
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 51,386
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 48,344

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Interesting read. Not sure how it translates to the real world, but it shows that sometimes the data, despite how hard we try, may not tell the whole story.

https://www.westernjournal.com/state-fi ... ovid-test/

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:46 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:28 pm
The Butcher wrote:
iaafan wrote:

ILI is the flu.

That's what you're getting from this tracker? I'd rather look at the big picture. Below are the top 10 leading causes of death (2018 I believe) in the U.S. along with the number of deaths from each cause. Obviously the question comes in here is where does COVID fit in when it's all said and done. We all know there are a certain number of cases where doctors are listing COVID as the cause when in reality COVID was not the cause. The question is, what is the true number here. From my personal perspective, when I tested positive for COVID a couple weeks ago, if I would have gone home that evening and passed away in my sleep I'm pretty sure they would have chalked that up as a COVID death... even though it may have been something completely unrelated.

Interesting data. It looks like heart disease kills roughly 1795/day and cancer kills 1644/day. Yesterday 3264 deaths were attributed to COVID.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:32 pm

catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Yeah, and mass shootings are down. Terrorist attacks are down. Traffic deaths are there lowest since 2014. Either that or they’re being attributed to Covid. Yeah, never mind that’s gotta be it.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:34 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:46 pm
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
iaafan wrote:

ILI is the flu.

Interesting data. It looks like heart disease kills roughly 1795/day and cancer kills 1644/day. Yesterday 3264 deaths were attributed to COVID.
Yeah, but we don’t shutdown businesses for those other things.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:19 pm

wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
iaafan wrote:

ILI is the flu.

Exactly! Thank you for helping make my point! If anyone actually believes that 3,264 people died in the U.S. yesterday FROM COVID... then we really are in trouble here.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:47 pm

Interesting article on covid and some idea of its start here.

https://bgr.com/2020/11/16/coronavirus- ... e-thought/#

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:49 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:19 pm
wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
iaafan wrote:

ILI is the flu.

Exactly! Thank you for helping make my point! If anyone actually believes that 3,264 people died in the U.S. yesterday FROM COVID... then we really are in trouble here.
Scary thought. Fortunately no one believes anyone died of Covid yesterday. At least not that I’ve heard.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:37 pm

toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:39 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:47 pm
Interesting article on covid and some idea of its start here.

https://bgr.com/2020/11/16/coronavirus- ... e-thought/#
Thanks for sharing, I had not seen that. Also, it doesn't surprise me in the least and I've talked to a lot of others that have always said we felt this thing has been around a lot longer than starting in March. I'm sure everyone else reading this board has talked to the friends and family that "swear I had this thing last year". It's just hard to say for sure because for the majority of people that get it, it does feel like a bad cold. For me the #1 difference was the complete loss of smell for a few days.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:49 pm
catatac wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:19 pm
wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
iaafan wrote:

ILI is the flu.

Scary thought. Fortunately no one believes anyone died of Covid yesterday. At least not that I’ve heard.
???