COVID 19 deaths by day

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: COVID 19 deaths by day

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:43 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:41 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:28 pm
Despite the high death numbers things are looking good as the cases are dropping significantly, nationally. It's been 10 days since a 200,000 case day. This follows a string of 18 200,000 case days. Today also looks like another <200,000 case day with just 75,000 so far. Hopefully this trend continues.
I really really hope this continues. Both for our sanity as a nation and our economy to start recovering.
This! I have my own opinions on the lockdowns vs now easing them, etc. In the end I don't really care whether it was politically motivated or not--history will judge. I just want it all to get better!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:05 pm

iaafan wrote:
Despite the high death numbers things are looking good as the cases are dropping significantly, nationally. It's been 10 days since a 200,000 case day. This follows a string of 18 200,000 case days. Today also looks like another <200,000 case day with just 75,000 so far. Hopefully this trend continues.
But MTCatFan makes a good point above, what if loosening restrictions causes another huge spike?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:19 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:05 pm
iaafan wrote:
But MTCatFan makes a good point above, what if loosening restrictions causes another huge spike?
Yes, that could happen. If it does those politicians look bad.

I believe most states set guidelines for when they would loosen restrictions and it appears that's the case here. They're loosening restrictions, not completely opening everything back up. I believe they're still encouraging social distancing, masks, washing hands, etc.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:32 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:38 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:18 am
RickRund wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:18 pm
And now amazingly massachusetts, illinois and california are easing their lockdowns.
I’m shocked. Haven’t seen the death ticker since Friday but gotta assume the numbers are still high? I wonder what has changed with the science the last week? :-k
https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/ar ... risis-ebbs
Slower infection rates in California.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... is-regions
Improving Covid metrics in Illinois in three regions of the state.

https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavirus ... trictions/
Numbers improving in Massaschusetts.

A better question is why can't you just look this stuff up yourself. I'm not trying to be mean to you, seriously I'm not, but you (and others) regularly jump in here apparently without even making an attempt to answer you own questions. This is what critical thinking is: do some research to see if what you think is actually correct or not.

No, I'm not saying the politicians are for sure telling the truth (more info may come out to show they're lying), but these reports represent the best evidence that is readily available at this time. This is what science is: following the best available evidence and continuing to look for more evidence regardless of whether or not it supports the existing evidence.
I’m sure I could have researched myself. Though it’s tough to know what news sources are legitimate. I’ve learned that along the way. Usually some sources are lying for one reason or another.

The reason I asked the question on this thread, is because this thread has been dedicated to Covid deaths alone for months. Day after day, one thing I could count on was to see how many lives were lost to Covid, and just how bleak things were. So I really don’t know why asking a question about Covid deaths, on a months-long thread exclusively dedicated to just that; would be a problem?

Just so I’m clear. You’re fine posting statistics on the deaths day after day. But if someone dares asks a question related to the deaths and how much better things must be to be removing restrictions......we get scolded for not looking it up ourselves?! :lol:

Anyway. This is great news! Things must really be looking up! I’m excited about businesses being in full operation again and my kids being allowed to go to school all week.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:28 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:32 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:
And now amazingly massachusetts, illinois and california are easing their lockdowns.
I’m shocked. Haven’t seen the death ticker since Friday but gotta assume the numbers are still high? I wonder what has changed with the science the last week? :-k

A better question is why can't you just look this stuff up yourself. I'm not trying to be mean to you, seriously I'm not, but you (and others) regularly jump in here apparently without even making an attempt to answer you own questions. This is what critical thinking is: do some research to see if what you think is actually correct or not.

No, I'm not saying the politicians are for sure telling the truth (more info may come out to show they're lying), but these reports represent the best evidence that is readily available at this time. This is what science is: following the best available evidence and continuing to look for more evidence regardless of whether or not it supports the existing evidence.
I’m sure I could have researched myself. Though it’s tough to know what news sources are legitimate. I’ve learned that along the way. Usually some sources are lying for one reason or another.

The reason I asked the question on this thread, is because this thread has been dedicated to Covid deaths alone for months. Day after day, one thing I could count on was to see how many lives were lost to Covid, and just how bleak things were. So I really don’t know why asking a question about Covid deaths, on a months-long thread exclusively dedicated to just that; would be a problem?

Just so I’m clear. You’re fine posting statistics on the deaths day after day. But if someone dares asks a question related to the deaths and how much better things must be to be removing restrictions......we get scolded for not looking it up ourselves?! :lol:

Anyway. This is great news! Things must really be looking up! I’m excited about businesses being in full operation again and my kids being allowed to go to school all week.
Bingo!! And now we are being told that the true indicator of Covid is the number of cases going down, not the number of deaths that some have been so quick to emphasize.

There are so many reasons that cases could be going down. It might be here immunity or it might be masks or it might be social distancing. My son is playing basketball right now and was having a hard time catching his breath. The doctor said that is an after effect of Covid and asked to bring him in. He had not been diagnosed with Covid in the past. Today, we were informed that he has Covid antibodies and did have Covid sometime in the past. The number of Covid cases is not an accurate number for many reasons, such as asymptotic cases. The number of cases can be manipulated simply by taking more tests or fewer tests.

Today we are being told that case numbers have decreased, so we are removing restrictions. Weren’t we just being told months ago that restrictions were necessary or the numbers would go up? Does that not apply anymore? Based on those statements from months ago, removing restrictions will result IN CASES GOING UP! But now Democrats are okay with less restrictions - especially since the election is over and Biden needs a strong economy. Sorry folks, but this does not smell right.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:03 pm

Good hell. You can’t win. Ease restrictions and it’s a conspiracy. Keep restrictions and everyone is still pissed.

This is how we’re eventually going to get out of this mess. First, focus on getting as many vaccines in people as quickly as possible. Second, once we have good data that numbers are (and have been) reducing, start to ease some restrictions while still encouraging precautionary measures. Watch and see what happens, then adjust accordingly. Hope and pray that numbers continue to reduce, more people continue to get vaccinated, and eventually businesses are all fully reopened, kids are back in school, we can stop wearing masks everywhere, and life can get back to normal (whatever that means at this point?).

It’s not a conspiracy. You just finally have adults acting like adults, listening to doctors instead of arguing with them, and a team of people all working together towards a common goal. Instead of getting upset, let’s hope that as we ease restrictions, the numbers continue to trend down even still, which is good for all of us.

GO CATS GO!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:49 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:03 pm
Good hell. You can’t win. Ease restrictions and it’s a conspiracy. Keep restrictions and everyone is still pissed.

This is how we’re eventually going to get out of this mess. First, focus on getting as many vaccines in people as quickly as possible. Second, once we have good data that numbers are (and have been) reducing, start to ease some restrictions while still encouraging precautionary measures. Watch and see what happens, then adjust accordingly. Hope and pray that numbers continue to reduce, more people continue to get vaccinated, and eventually businesses are all fully reopened, kids are back in school, we can stop wearing masks everywhere, and life can get back to normal (whatever that means at this point?).

It’s not a conspiracy. You just finally have adults acting like adults, listening to doctors instead of arguing with them, and a team of people all working together towards a common goal. Instead of getting upset, let’s hope that as we ease restrictions, the numbers continue to trend down even still, which is good for all of us.
I agree with most of this post. But don’t know who’s talking about conspiracy?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:00 am

ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I think you’re being a little too black or white about this. Science involves a lot of gray area. While best evidence may be the course to follow, there’s always a degree of certainty/uncertainty.

As for media, I think you can clearly tell by reading a story if it’s just straight reporting or not. If politicians are making statements and the media is reporting them without commentary, then I think you can rest assured it’s just straight reporting. If you can’t tell then that’s more on the reader than the news source. I read various outlets covering the full spectrum of slants and it’s not difficult to tell the difference.

There’s no excuse for posting out of context, projecting, deflecting or being misleading when it’s so easy to research this stuff. I think your excuse for not doing a small amount of research falls flat.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:20 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:00 am

I think you’re being a little too black or white about this. Science involves a lot of gray area. While best evidence may be the course to follow, there’s always a degree of certainty/uncertainty.

As for media, I think you can clearly tell by reading a story if it’s just straight reporting or not. If politicians are making statements and the media is reporting them without commentary, then I think you can rest assured it’s just straight reporting. If you can’t tell then that’s more on the reader than the news source. I read various outlets covering the full spectrum of slants and it’s not difficult to tell the difference.

There’s no excuse for posting out of context, projecting, deflecting or being misleading when it’s so easy to research this stuff. I think your excuse for not doing a small amount of research falls flat.
Great examples of not real news are Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson. Fox classifies their shows as entertainment not news (to avoid legal action). Unfortunately some people don't realize that Hannity's and Carlson's shows are focused on entertainment over fact, so misinformation is easily spread.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:48 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:00 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

That's fair. Though I don't think my "excuse" for not researching falls flat at all. I asked questions.

This thread has been updated every single day for months, solely focusing on covid deaths. No one was ever asking for this information. It was provided daily to show just how terrible the virus was/is. At no point did myself or anyone else chime in, and ask for the thread to be removed because we could "do our own research". 1aa provided these results religiously, and we read them, accepted them as fact, and went on with our day.

Suddenly people comment on looser restrictions and what has changed so dramatically and NOW we need to do our own research and figure it out. Doesn't make sense to me.

Now, had 1aa or any other poster provided information and I disagreed with it or thought it was incorrect, that would be a good time to do my own research to prove why I thought they were wrong. But it's funny to start being told to do my own research when we've had covid death stats shoved in our faces every day for almost a year. No one had any issue providing this crucial information. But don't dare ask any questions about them. :lol:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:48 am

In no way did I start this thread with the intention of making anyone feel bad. My assumption is that people do feel bad, so I have no reason to do that.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 am

iltc: your questions came off as snarky and sarcastic. If this was just the first time that I thought you were being that way I wouldn’t have said anything, but this that seems to be a common theme with you. You come across as someone who doesn’t want to think critically and that doesn’t understand how science works. Therefore you seem to be making fun of people who refer to science to back up their statements. I probably wouldn’t feel that way if you did post some links that support your thoughts on the subjects. But when I see you asking questions that can be easily answered I become suspicious about your intent

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:17 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 am
iltc: your questions came off as snarky and sarcastic. If this was just the first time that I thought you were being that way I wouldn’t have said anything, but this that seems to be a common theme with you. You come across as someone who doesn’t want to think critically and that doesn’t understand how science works. Therefore you seem to be making fun of people who refer to science to back up their statements. I probably wouldn’t feel that way if you did post some links that support your thoughts on the subjects. But when I see you asking questions that can be easily answered I become suspicious about your intent
That's fine. You can interpret my questions however you'd like? I just find it funny that you don't have an issue with people "doing their own research" when you are gladly providing the stats, that's all.

Regardless, I'm glad things are so much better today than they were only a couple weeks ago. That is a great sign. Hopefully people start getting their lives back to normal. More importantly, hopefully kids can going back to getting a good education. Many are getting destroyed. So don't mistake my "snarkiness". I'm happy we're apparently doing so great fighting this virus.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:18 am

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... alifornia/

This is interesting.

California still has massive numbers including over 1 million active cases (unless i'm reading something wrong).

Over the last 30 days they went from roughly 40,000 new cases a day to a peak of 52,000 new cases on January 2nd, to a decline of about 23,000 new cases (average last 3 days, 21,000 then 27,000 then 21,000).

From covid19.CA.gov:

Regional Stay Home Order
The Regional Stay Home Order (PDF), announced December 3, 2020, triggered additional restrictions after a region was announced to have less than 15% ICU availability. It prohibited private gatherings of any size, closed sector operations except for critical infrastructure and retail, and required 100% masking (with certain exceptions as indicated in guidance for use of face coverings) and physical distancing.

The Regional Stay Home Order was lifted January 25, 2021 as projected ICU availability over 4 weeks in all regions rose to over 15%. Once a region exited the Regional Stay Home Order, counties within that regioned return to the appropriate tier and rules under the Blueprint for a Safer Economy.

Limited Stay Home Order
The Limited Stay Home Order (effective November 21, 2020) and its Supplement (effective December 22, 2020) required that in counties in the Widespread (purple) tier, Californians stay home between 10:00pm and 5:00am, with some exceptions.

This order was ended January 25, 2021 and is no longer in effect in any county in California.

December 3rd there were 21,000 new cases reported in California and a huge spike after.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 am

“Bingo!! And now we are being told that the true indicator of Covid is the number of cases going down, not the number of deaths that some have been so quick to emphasize.“

I don’t think this is true at all. I think ultimately the worst thing is deaths. But we’ve been being told that a good indicator of how things are going is cases. Logically so, but as new remedies come available to prevent death it isn’t necessarily the case. For quite awhile we’ve been able to anticipate increases and decreases in deaths based on increases and decreases in cases. This is nothing new, but it is never a sure thing. I would anticipate a down turn in deaths by next week.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:14 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 am
“Bingo!! And now we are being told that the true indicator of Covid is the number of cases going down, not the number of deaths that some have been so quick to emphasize.“

I don’t think this is true at all. I think ultimately the worst thing is deaths. But we’ve been being told that a good indicator of how things are going is cases. Logically so, but as new remedies come available to prevent death it isn’t necessarily the case. For quite awhile we’ve been able to anticipate increases and decreases in deaths based on increases and decreases in cases. This is nothing new, but it is never a sure thing. I would anticipate a down turn in deaths by next week.
I might have missed something, i've been swamped with work. What are we doing differently as a country now vs. 15 - 45 days ago. Even 60-90 days ago? From what I know, no additional treatments are revolutionizing the treatment of Covid-19. We are seeing more at risk people getting the Vaccine which is excellent for the people wanting it, but we are well short doses in a lot of states (or all).

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:42 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:14 am
iaafan wrote:

I might have missed something, i've been swamped with work. What are we doing differently as a country now vs. 15 - 45 days ago. Even 60-90 days ago? From what I know, no additional treatments are revolutionizing the treatment of Covid-19. We are seeing more at risk people getting the Vaccine which is excellent for the people wanting it, but we are well short doses in a lot of states (or all).
I’m having a hard time lining up your questions with my comments. Can you explain what you’re getting at further please?

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:50 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:42 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I’m having a hard time lining up your questions with my comments. Can you explain what you’re getting at further please?
I'm having a hard time understanding why you aren't understanding what I said. See the bolded part in your statement above. What specific treatments or new remedies have been presented/used in the last 30, 60, 90 days that prevent death?

I'm not suggesting anything nor am I being flippant IAA, it's a serious question. It would be FANTASTIC news if we have discovered new techniques or remedies to decrease the death toll of COVID-19 (that isn't a vaccine). I just hadn't heard of it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:51 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Another great observation. We haven’t been doing anything differently. Now, many jurisdictions that mandated business restrictions (and were primarily Democratic), are all of a sudden loosening restrictions. The only thing that has changed is that the election is over. On January 25, Calif reported 17,000+ cases. Back on Nov 25, they reported 14,000+. Why were restrictions on businesses necessary 60 days ago at fewer cases, but now they can loosen restrictions at at a higher number of cases?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:56 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:17 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 am
That's fine. You can interpret my questions however you'd like? I just find it funny that you don't have an issue with people "doing their own research" when you are gladly providing the stats, that's all.

Regardless, I'm glad things are so much better today than they were only a couple weeks ago. That is a great sign. Hopefully people start getting their lives back to normal. More importantly, hopefully kids can going back to getting a good education. Many are getting destroyed. So don't mistake my "snarkiness". I'm happy we're apparently doing so great fighting this virus.
I shouldn’t bring this up, but ILTC’s questions were fine and stated in a very respectful manner. Quite frankly, I think iaa should point out what was so snarky. I am really tired of iaa calling people snarky just because he disagrees with their opinion.