Transition of Power

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Transition of Power

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:15 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:36 pm
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:00 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:09 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:49 pm
Party over country. Petulance over maturity.
Both parties are incredibly guilty of this. Our countries state of politics is really sad at the moment.
Then whey did Al Franken step down from his Senate seat?
Why did Maxine Waters tell her constituents to assault (verbally at the very least) conservatives and republicans? I choose to believe you are better than this. Think rationally man. There are bad people on both sides of the aisle and both parties are extremely corrupt and the politicians in it for personal gain. How else can you explain them becoming millionaires on $175,000 a year salary? (This is both Republicans and Democrats).
Iaa has completely lost it... TDS x 10. His hate for Trump has spilled over to hating all Republicans.
With all the hate and false information coming from both parties and all media its easy to get lost in the shuffle. I think Iaa is a good dude overall. I don't like to see anyone buy into the bs that is being spouted, I wish i could get more people to see through it. Oh well.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:08 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Both parties are incredibly guilty of this. Our countries state of politics is really sad at the moment.
Why did Maxine Waters tell her constituents to assault (verbally at the very least) conservatives and republicans? I choose to believe you are better than this. Think rationally man. There are bad people on both sides of the aisle and both parties are extremely corrupt and the politicians in it for personal gain. How else can you explain them becoming millionaires on $175,000 a year salary? (This is both Republicans and Democrats).
Iaa has completely lost it... TDS x 10. His hate for Trump has spilled over to hating all Republicans.
With all the hate and false information coming from both parties and all media its easy to get lost in the shuffle. I think Iaa is a good dude overall. I don't like to see anyone buy into the bs that is being spouted, I wish i could get more people to see through it. Oh well.
Please show me a study that says the false information from the right and left is equal\. I have a hard time believing anyone thinks that the left is churning out false info at anywhere the rate or severity of the right. Right wing tweets and Facebook posts are constantly being taken down. Stanford U has set up a system for tracking false claims and getting them removed. They're overwhelmingly coming from the right.

Cataholic was just on here this morning taking a quote from Obama's new book out of context. Then doubled down on it a couple times after being called on it. You don't have to look far to find false information.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:19 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:08 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Please show me a study that says the false information from the right and left is equal\. I have a hard time believing anyone thinks that the left is churning out false info at anywhere the rate or severity of the right. Right wing tweets and Facebook posts are constantly being taken down. Stanford U has set up a system for tracking false claims and getting them removed. They're overwhelmingly coming from the right.

Cataholic was just on here this morning taking a quote from Obama's new book out of context. Then doubled down on it a couple times after being called on it. You don't have to look far to find false information.
False information is the same as select editing or select reporting. The left is just as guilty of spreading "select" reporting as is the right. And with the media significantly left slanted i'd tell you they are more guilty of that. What about Biden and Harris saying they won't ban fracking when talking to crowds in Pennsylvania then saying they would ban fracking to crowds in the next state?

The right is absolutely guilty of broad misinformation designed to confuse voters. These vote count issues are a great example of that. Its insane, there is no way there is 100,000+ bad ballots (I'll retract that is somehow it gets proven in a recount).

Why can't we look at stuff and say "both of these parties have a LONGGGG way to go to gain the trust of the American public"?

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:29 pm

I agree with you BBB, meanwhile Nero fiddles while Rome burns.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:44 pm

LCH wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:29 pm
My problem is that I don’t trust the government to get it right. It’s pretty sad, doesn’t seem to matter who’s in power, we can’t get “it” right.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:00 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:44 pm
LCH wrote:
My problem is that I don’t trust the government to get it right. It’s pretty sad, doesn’t seem to matter who’s in power, we can’t get “it” right.
That is sad. Everyone should be able to trust this government. Perhaps not 100% of the time, but predominantly. The government does get it right quite often.

Rich K

Post by Rich K » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:10 pm

The Law
by Frederic Bastiat

Translated from the French by Dean Russell
Foreword by Walter E. Williams
Introduction by Richard Ebeling
Afterword by Sheldon Richman

https://fee.org/media/14951/thelaw.pdf

In the foreward Walter E. Williams writes:
I must have been forty years old before reading Frederic Bastiat’s classic The Law. An anonymous person, to whom I shall eternally be in debt, mailed me an unsolicited copy. After reading the book I was convinced that a liberal-arts education without an encounter with Bastiat is incomplete. Reading Bastiat made me keenly aware of all the time wasted, along with the frustrations of going down one blind alley after another, organizing my philosophy of life. The Law did not produce a philosophical conversion for me as much as it created order in my thinking about liberty and just human conduct....

,,,Like others, Bastiat recognized that the greatest single threat to liberty is government. Notice the clarity he employs to help us identify and understand evil government acts such as legalized plunder. Bastiat says, “See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without committing a crime.” With such an accurate description of legalized plunder, we cannot deny the conclusion that most government activities, including ours, are legalized plunder, or for the sake of modernity, legalized theft....

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:41 am

Rich K wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:10 pm
The Law
by Frederic Bastiat

I must have been forty years old before reading Frederic Bastiat’s classic The Law. An anonymous person, to whom I shall eternally be in debt, mailed me an unsolicited copy. After reading the book I was convinced that a liberal-arts education without an encounter with Bastiat is incomplete. Reading Bastiat made me keenly aware of all the time wasted, along with the frustrations of going down one blind alley after another, organizing my philosophy of life. The Law did not produce a philosophical conversion for me as much as it created order in my thinking about liberty and just human conduct....

,,,Like others, Bastiat recognized that the greatest single threat to liberty is government. Notice the clarity he employs to help us identify and understand evil government acts such as legalized plunder. Bastiat says, “See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without committing a crime.” With such an accurate description of legalized plunder, we cannot deny the conclusion that most government activities, including ours, are legalized plunder, or for the sake of modernity, legalized theft....

Could not help but think of Native Americans as I read this. Thanks for posting.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:48 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:41 am
Rich K wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:10 pm
The Law
by Frederic Bastiat

Could not help but think of Native Americans as I read this. Thanks for posting.
Must also add Mises, Locke, Alexis De Tocqueville just to name a few...

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:14 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:00 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
LCH wrote:
That is sad. Everyone should be able to trust this government. Perhaps not 100% of the time, but predominantly. The government does get it right quite often.
I would agree with iaafan that trying to put the Dems in the same boat as the GOP on misinformation is ridiculous.
Now I would say that overall, very few GOP are active in disseminating misinformation. Unfortunately a LOT of the GOP are not calling out their colleagues when this misinformation is being pushed by members of their party. Being a silent participant makes you part of the problem.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:18 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:00 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
LCH wrote:
Haven't been on in awhile so trying to respond to everything and not doing a good job.

I agree man, i'd love to trust the Government, but i can't. And it's not that i think all government is bad or all government employees are bad. Many are great human beings and great people just trying to do what they believe is right.

But i wholeheartedly subscribe to the old adage that "absolute power corrupts absolutely". Given power, people want more of it, its unfortunately human nature. Obviously there are exceptions to all rules, but man it seems like given power, the majority of people/companies/governments do everything they can to expand that power.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:59 am

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 am

This seems fitting.

grizgirl
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation