Chase Giacomo on Judge Barrett

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Chase Giacomo on Judge Barrett

Post by Rich K » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:07 am

You might not think that Amy Coney Barrett, who grew up in Louisiana and spent much of her adult life in Indiana, would have much in common with me, a Montana native and combat veteran. But Judge Barrett has never let differences in background and experiences stop her from caring, listening, and helping those she encounters, including (it turns out) me.

After leaving the Army, I spent my first year of law school at the University of Notre Dame, where I had the good fortune of studying constitutional law under then-professor Barrett. ....
https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/10/02/ ... my-mentor/

Rich K

Re: Chase Giacomo on Judge Barrett

Post by Rich K » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:09 am

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 am

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Hundreds Of Notre Dame Faculty Sign Letters Opposing Amy Coney Barrett Nomination

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams ... omination/

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 am

Hundreds Of Notre Dame Faculty Sign Letters Opposing Amy Coney Barrett Nomination

My Dad can beat up your Dad...

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 am

Amy Coney Barrett refuses to admit that a president can’t delay an election. She won’t say that voter intimidation is illegal. She can’t name the five freedoms guaranteed in the First Amendment to the Constitution. Not only is her nomination illegitimate, but she’s unqualified.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:27 am

The Butcher wrote:

Not a single one of them was from the law department. You left that part out.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:36 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 am
Amy Coney Barrett refuses to admit that a president can’t delay an election. She won’t say that voter intimidation is illegal. She can’t name the five freedoms guaranteed in the First Amendment to the Constitution. Not only is her nomination illegitimate, but she’s unqualified.
I was watching the confirmation. She named 4 of the 5 in a heartbeat, then said "What am I leaving out?" It was the right to protest. Doesn't seem like that big a deal to a sane person.

To say her nomination is illegal is beyond bizarre. Are you referring to a nomination in an election year? RBG said it's not illegal and Supreme Court nominations in election year happened in 1912, 1916 (the Democrat president made two nominations), 1932, 1940, 1956, and 1968.

Could you provide your source that a nomination in an election breaks the law?

The Young Turks sure have you fired up! :lol: :lol:

If you're going to be mad, why not direct some of that anger at Hillary for convincing RBG to not retire so that she could pick a successor?

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:50 am

Cledus wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:36 am

To say her nomination is illegal is beyond bizarre. Are you referring to a nomination in an election year? RBG said it's not illegal and Supreme Court nominations in election year happened in 1912, 1916 (the Democrat president made two nominations), 1932, 1940, 1956, and 1968.
He didn't say the nomination is illegal..........

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:54 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:50 am
Cledus wrote:

My apologies, I don't mean to misquote anyone especially since I didn't read it carefully. Having said that, how is it illegitimate? It has been customary for an opposing party to the president to wait until after an election. Because the senate has a Republican majority, this is consistent with the custom. There's nothing illegitimate about her nomination.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:57 am

Cledus wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I was watching the confirmation. She named 4 of the 5 in a heartbeat, then said "What am I leaving out?" It was the right to protest. Doesn't seem like that big a deal to a sane person.

If you're going to be mad, why not direct some of that anger at Hillary for convincing RBG to not retire so that she could pick a successor?
The comments from the left are truly astounding. This confirmation process has made liberals look like sore losers when they claim she is unqualified and that the nomination is illegitimate. The Democrats are hurting themselves as they attack an outstanding lady with baseless questions filled with specific liberal agendas. The comments by the congresswoman from Hawaii was a good look at the liberal agenda that is driving Democrats away.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:57 am
Cledus wrote:
iaafan wrote:

The comments from the left are truly astounding. This confirmation process has made liberals look like sore losers when they claim she is unqualified and that the nomination is illegitimate. The Democrats are hurting themselves as they attack an outstanding lady with baseless questions filled with specific liberal agendas. The comments by the congresswoman from Hawaii was a good look at the liberal agenda that is driving Democrats away.
ACB used the term "sexual preference," which according to Democrats (all of a sudden) is an offensive term. The day after ACB used the term sexual preference, Webster updated their dictionary to say it's offensive. It was never an offensive term until she used it.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:33 pm

Here's the Advocate using the term sexual preference and shazam! three weeks later after Justice Barrett uses it it's a pejorative.

chester Spartanpot
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by chester Spartanpot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:48 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:27 am
The Butcher wrote:

Chester believed that ACB could have possibly survived when professors of "Medieval Studies", "Gender Studies", and "Liberal Studies" signed that scathing letter against her... but how in the world can she survive if she lost Lionel M. Jensen, PhD, "East Asian Languages and Cultures"??? Ho Lee Fuk... She's borked. [-(

Ye... intruders... beware!!

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:12 pm

chester Spartanpot wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:48 pm
Cledus wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Chester believed that ACB could have possibly survived when professors of "Medieval Studies", "Gender Studies", and "Liberal Studies" signed that scathing letter against her... but how in the world can she survive if she lost Lionel M. Jensen, PhD, "East Asian Languages and Cultures"??? Ho Lee Fuk... She's borked. [-(

Surprised you didn't mention the political science, psychology, and sociology professors too. One could argue that those PHDs have a pretty solid pulse on our society. It was weird how many physicist and mathematicians signed the letter.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Cledus wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

There’s nothing significant about that. That’s expected. If one did, it would be the most significant signature.

rivercat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by rivercat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:40 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:08 pm
Cledus wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

There’s nothing significant about that. That’s expected. If one did, it would be the most significant signature.
Lol. I read the 4 profs letter which is glib, superficial and wholly unsupported. If a freshman student had turned in that argument, I hope it would receive a D only because it appears grammatically correct.

As a practicing Catholic and lifelong Fighting Irish fan, I'm embarrassed but not surprised.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

seataccat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:54 am
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:50 am
Cledus wrote:

My apologies, I don't mean to misquote anyone especially since I didn't read it carefully. Having said that, how is it illegitimate? It has been customary for an opposing party to the president to wait until after an election. Because the senate has a Republican majority, this is consistent with the custom. There's nothing illegitimate about her nomination.
What custom is that? It just pointed out in no uncertain terms that none of the Republicans that said all that BS about not wanting to nominate a supreme court justice in the last year of a presidency was never out of principle. It was just politics.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

rivercat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by rivercat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Here are the major differences. Obama was in the last year of a lame duck term and his nominee would have no consequence on a next election. Two, the Senate was held by the Republicans who could block the nominee. Some might not like like or agree with it, but those are substantial differences.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:51 am

rivercat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:40 pm
As a practicing Catholic and lifelong Fighting Irish fan, I'm embarrassed but not surprised.
Just out of curiosity since you brought up Catholicism; how do you feel about Biden who is a practicing Catholic? Trump does not regularly practice any type of organized religion, so does that matter to you like it does for a Justice?

chester Spartanpot
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by chester Spartanpot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:47 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:12 pm
chester Spartanpot wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:48 pm
Cledus wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Surprised you didn't mention the political science, psychology, and sociology professors too. One could argue that those PHDs have a pretty solid pulse on our society. It was weird how many physicist and mathematicians signed the letter.
they may or they may not have a pretty solid pulse on our society. they and their pulse are irrelevant.
ACB is well qualified for the job she was nominated for. :thumbup:

Ye... intruders... beware!!