Political Ads

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
coachouert
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3855
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:49 am
Location: Bozeman

Political Ads

Post by coachouert » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:45 pm

I watched a lot of football this past Sunday (Go Raiders) and some baseball last night and of course, there is a ridiculous amount of political ads for all sides and topics. As I've watched these, I caught myself thinking, does anyone actually get swayed to vote one way or another based on a political ad? I've never seen an ad and said to myself, "self, that ad with the bad scary movie voice over told me that a certain candidate was going to take away my birthday and kick my dog if I vote for him, so I better vote the other way."

Am I alone on this? I understand the need to advertise one's campaign, but are campaign ads something that should go the way of the dodo, especially since almost every single one of them just bashes another candidate rather than talk about the individual who "approves this message" is about? Has anyone found these to be useful in how they are going to vote? I'm only 38 so my voting record has not been incredibly long compared to others on this site, but I'm genuinely curious on people's thoughts on ads.

If nothing else, I get a laugh out of whatever the doomsday voice over has to say and wonder how much money there is in that kind of work.


Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Image

User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Political Ads

Post by coloradocat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:56 pm

I don't think the purpose is to change minds but rather to rally the base to the polls to vote against the other side.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Political Ads

Post by coloradocat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:57 pm



Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Political Ads

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:58 pm

I agree with you completely. And the amount of money spent on advertising is ridiculous. I probably get 5 to 10 pieces of political advertisements PER DAY in the mail. That money could go to some pretty good causes.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4684
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Political Ads

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:35 pm

coachouert wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:45 pm
I watched a lot of football this past Sunday (Go Raiders) and some baseball last night and of course, there is a ridiculous amount of political ads for all sides and topics. As I've watched these, I caught myself thinking, does anyone actually get swayed to vote one way or another based on a political ad? I've never seen an ad and said to myself, "self, that ad with the bad scary movie voice over told me that a certain candidate was going to take away my birthday and kick my dog if I vote for him, so I better vote the other way."

Am I alone on this? I understand the need to advertise one's campaign, but are campaign ads something that should go the way of the dodo, especially since almost every single one of them just bashes another candidate rather than talk about the individual who "approves this message" is about? Has anyone found these to be useful in how they are going to vote? I'm only 38 so my voting record has not been incredibly long compared to others on this site, but I'm genuinely curious on people's thoughts on ads.

If nothing else, I get a laugh out of whatever the doomsday voice over has to say and wonder how much money there is in that kind of work.
Not even one little bit. As Joe Friday would say, "the facts ma'am, just give me the facts"... Sort of paraphrased...

And question to you Coach: I am not watching football so just wondering how the heck did the Raiders beat the Chiefs. Must have played a near perfect game or the Chiefs played poorly. Or both. I follow scores, that's about it. What was the spread?



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4684
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Political Ads

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:58 pm
I agree with you completely. And the amount of money spent on advertising is ridiculous. I probably get 5 to 10 pieces of political advertisements PER DAY in the mail. That money could go to some pretty good causes.
So great to be out of california. Our mail box would be PACKED..Here, barely any.



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Political Ads

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm

$75 million spend so far on Bullock - Daines

https://missoulacurrent.com/government/ ... e-montana/



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4800
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Political Ads

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm
$75 million spend so far on Bullock - Daines

https://missoulacurrent.com/government/ ... e-montana/
That is disgusting actually. And as the OP stated, I don't see how these ads or mailings do anything honestly. It's all just lying and blaming the other guy.

Give them a couple hundred grand each and if they can't beat the other candidate that way they don't deserve to win. Politics are a complete joke. :lol:



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Political Ads

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:12 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm
$75 million spend so far on Bullock - Daines

https://missoulacurrent.com/government/ ... e-montana/
That is disgusting actually. And as the OP stated, I don't see how these ads or mailings do anything honestly. It's all just lying and blaming the other guy.

Give them a couple hundred grand each and if they can't beat the other candidate that way they don't deserve to win. Politics are a complete joke. :lol:
I try to stay up to date on politics, but everyday I grab the mail, I pull out the political ads and throw them in the trash.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4800
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Political Ads

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:14 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:12 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm
$75 million spend so far on Bullock - Daines

https://missoulacurrent.com/government/ ... e-montana/
That is disgusting actually. And as the OP stated, I don't see how these ads or mailings do anything honestly. It's all just lying and blaming the other guy.

Give them a couple hundred grand each and if they can't beat the other candidate that way they don't deserve to win. Politics are a complete joke. :lol:
I try to stay up to date on politics, but everyday I grab the mail, I pull out the political ads and throw them in the trash.
Me too. They never even make it in the house. Such a huge waste of money as I imagine this is the case in many households. Some days it's just one or two but last week we had a day there had to have been close to 15 in there. Just nuts.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4684
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Political Ads

Post by RickRund » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:11 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:12 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm
$75 million spend so far on Bullock - Daines

https://missoulacurrent.com/government/ ... e-montana/
That is disgusting actually. And as the OP stated, I don't see how these ads or mailings do anything honestly. It's all just lying and blaming the other guy.

Give them a couple hundred grand each and if they can't beat the other candidate that way they don't deserve to win. Politics are a complete joke. :lol:
I try to stay up to date on politics, but everyday I grab the mail, I pull out the political ads and throw them in the trash.
That is a total waste to throw them in the trash. Don't you have or know someone that needs birdcage liners?



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Political Ads

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:30 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:11 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:12 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm
$75 million spend so far on Bullock - Daines

https://missoulacurrent.com/government/ ... e-montana/
That is disgusting actually. And as the OP stated, I don't see how these ads or mailings do anything honestly. It's all just lying and blaming the other guy.

Give them a couple hundred grand each and if they can't beat the other candidate that way they don't deserve to win. Politics are a complete joke. :lol:
I try to stay up to date on politics, but everyday I grab the mail, I pull out the political ads and throw them in the trash.
That is a total waste to throw them in the trash. Don't you have or know someone that needs birdcage liners?
:lol: :lol: :lol:



Post Reply