Presidential Debate

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Presidential Debate

Post by The Butcher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Wow!

That debate was a disaster for Trump.

Biggest take away for Trump is white supremacy “standing by”?

Can’t wait to hear Trump supporters saying he won.

NUTS!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Presidential Debate

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 pm

Politics are so funny.

I loved everything about the debate. It went as expected.

Post debate went as expected as well....

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cataholic » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:24 pm

Butch might be the only guy in the US that thought it was disaster for Trump.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:04 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:40 pm
Wow!

NUTS!!!
Definitely not a disaster for Trump in that he didn't lose any of his base voters, but he did lose a lot of people that were undecided for exactly the reason you pointed out. His base, even the minorities, will find a way to use their support of Trump to justify his white supremacy comments.

No one, outside of his base, was swayed to vote for him last night and he's not in a position to sit on the ball. I'm not sure why he didn't come out against white supremacy, because he's not going to lose any of those voters.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:23 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:04 am
The Butcher wrote:
Wow!

NUTS!!!
Definitely not a disaster for Trump in that he didn't lose any of his base voters, but he did lose a lot of people that were undecided for exactly the reason you pointed out. His base, even the minorities, will find a way to use their support of Trump to justify his white supremacy comments.

No one, outside of his base, was swayed to vote for him last night and he's not in a position to sit on the ball. I'm not sure why he didn't come out against white supremacy, because he's not going to lose any of those voters.
I knew he was going to be a bully, but last night was over the top. It is an embarrassment for America to have Trump as the POTUS. When people are asking for a kill switch for Trump microphone that shows how terrible he is. I do agree with you though; Trump didn’t lose any of his base, but he sure didn’t gain any new supporters from that performance.

As Jake Tapper put it, "a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck."

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 am

The Butcher wrote:
Wow!

NUTS!!!
How many times does Trump have to denounce white supremacy before it is officially recognized?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... -criticism
“Just last week, the president declared the KKK a terrorist organization and it cannot be any more clear than that,” Murtaugh said, pointing to the president’s Black America Plan, also known as the “Platinum Plan.”

The “Platinum Plan” states that it will “prosecute the KKK and ANTIFA as terrorist organizations and make lynching a national hate crime.”
Trump did miss a huge opportunity to discuss the plan, instead of choosing to throw barbs at Biden. That was disappointing.

Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 am
The Butcher wrote:
Wow!

NUTS!!!
How many times does Trump have to denounce white supremacy before it is officially recognized?

“Just last week, the president declared the KKK a terrorist organization and it cannot be any more clear than that,” Murtaugh said, pointing to the president’s Black America Plan, also known as the “Platinum Plan.”

The “Platinum Plan” states that it will “prosecute the KKK and ANTIFA as terrorist organizations and make lynching a national hate crime.”
Trump did miss a huge opportunity to discuss the plan, instead of choosing to throw barbs at Biden. That was disappointing.
The problem for Trump on denouncing white supremacy is that he sounds exactly like someone telling the phone or gas or credit card company the check is in the mail, I mailed it 4 weeks ago.... for the tenth time. Or maybe it is more like a groom promising to be faithful to his third bride after not being faithful to his first 2.

I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:16 pm

I had to turn it off. I literally couldn't stand to listen anymore. They both behaved like 3 year olds fighting for the same snow cone. There were no winners last night, only losers.

How these two idiots are the only people we can get the two parties to nominate for President is an absolute mind@!$%. This more than anything demonstrates how broken our political "2 party" system is.

I'm sorry for America right now.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HiLineCat » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:27 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:16 pm
I had to turn it off. I literally couldn't stand to listen anymore. They both behaved like 3 year olds fighting for the same snow cone. There were no winners last night, only losers.

How these two idiots are the only people we can get the two parties to nominate for President is an absolute mind@!$%. This more than anything demonstrates how broken our political "2 party" system is.

The problem is that anyone that would be good for the job is also smart enough to know that he doesn't want it.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:

That disaster was all Trump. He interrupted and spoke over Biden the entire time. Trump was at full bully mode and Wallace couldn't control the situation.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 am
The Butcher wrote:
Wow!

NUTS!!!

The problem for Trump on denouncing white supremacy is that he sounds exactly like someone telling the phone or gas or credit card company the check is in the mail, I mailed it 4 weeks ago.... for the tenth time. Or maybe it is more like a groom promising to be faithful to his third bride after not being faithful to his first 2.
Is that because the media keeps asking the same question over and over despite what Trump does? This Black America Plan seems like a huge deal and how many people even knew about it? The media certainly didn’t give it the press coverage it deserved.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:39 pm

HiLineCat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:27 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:

The problem is that anyone that would be good for the job is also smart enough to know that he doesn't want it.
Both you guys are right. I expected some discussion on policies and agendas that would help separate the two. Instead, it was a contest on how much each other could put down the other. Super disappointing.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:49 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:

That disaster was all Trump. He interrupted and spoke over Biden the entire time. Trump was at full bully mode and Wallace couldn't control the situation.
The tone was clearly set by Trump last night, but that was his strategy. To get Biden uncomfortable and have him stumble. Trump has got to figure out that approach does not appeal to a lot of people. He definitely got in his shots, but that is not sustainable.

I know your all anti-Trump, but Biden looked weak and unstable. How is he going to hold up in discussions with Putin or China? Do you want a bulldog or a poodle in those discussions?

Trump needs to stick to the facts and policies. Talk about the New Green Deal and how AOC was appointed and Biden’s energy advisor. How Biden appointed Pete to take away guns. How Biden had people like Kamala were questioning his record on racial diversity. Trump had a major opportunity last night, but despite landing some low blows, he missed the major blows.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mtcatfan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:48 pm

Every time Biden started to say something and look like he was having trouble with his train of thought or stumbling a bit, Trump would barge in and basically rescue him. Another huge missed opportunity for the incumbent. He should have just let Biden ramble on.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:49 pm
The Butcher wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

The tone was clearly set by Trump last night, but that was his strategy. To get Biden uncomfortable and have him stumble. Trump has got to figure out that approach does not appeal to a lot of people. He definitely got in his shots, but that is not sustainable.

I know your all anti-Trump, but Biden looked weak and unstable. How is he going to hold up in discussions with Putin or China? Do you want a bulldog or a poodle in those discussions?

Trump needs to stick to the facts and policies. Talk about the New Green Deal and how AOC was appointed and Biden’s energy advisor. How Biden appointed Pete to take away guns. How Biden had people like Kamala were questioning his record on racial diversity. Trump had a major opportunity last night, but despite landing some low blows, he missed the major blows.
Exactly. If anyone really believes that EITHER of these clowns "won", they are VERY biased. Both guys came away looking like morons and defending either or laying all blame on just one is exactly why we have the choices we have. Blind loyalty to one party and blind hatred to the other. #-o

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:48 pm

These are the proud boys our sitting president has instructed to stand by

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:53 pm

Black Entertainment Television founder on Trump over Biden.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bet-found ... -dont-know
"I absolutely do not know what Vice President Biden will do. I haven't heard anything coherent out of what he said he would do."

Johnson later spoke broadly about the Black community, acknowledging that "90+ percent" vote for Democrats, but warned that "if we don't get clear and concise direction as to what the benefit of changing horses at this time... I would rather who I'm going to deal with in the White House, I want to know what regulatory decisions they're gonna make, what fiscal policy decisions, what monetary policy decisions they're gonna make than to be taking a chance, particularly when you have the turbulence of a pandemic."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:45 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Exactly. If anyone really believes that EITHER of these clowns "won", they are VERY biased. Both guys came away looking like morons and defending either or laying all blame on just one is exactly why we have the choices we have. Blind loyalty to one party and blind hatred to the other. #-o
Not sure what you’re complaining about. I think both are good candidates and this was the best debate I’ve ever seen. A couple fiery hotheads. It was like Thomas “The Hit Man” Hearns vs “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler. Great fight and who doesn’t want to see that again. I bet the next debate breaks the ratings record. In this case both made some strong points about who they are, which lays a great groundwork for the next debate. Looking forward to it.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:54 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:45 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Not sure what you’re complaining about. I think both are good candidates and this was the best debate I’ve ever seen. A couple fiery hotheads. It was like Thomas “The Hit Man” Hearns vs “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler. Great fight and who doesn’t want to see that again. I bet the next debate breaks the ratings record. In this case both made some strong points about who they are, which lays a great groundwork for the next debate. Looking forward to it.
Oh don’t get me wrong Tom. I watched every minute and loved it! I’ll watch the next ones too. It went down exactly how I thought it’d go down considering who was debating.

I was more speaking to the fact that people’s blind loyalty have them convinced that either candidate “won”. The only winners were those like me watching for entertainment purposes.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:06 am

I propose the following:

Assuming a 90 minute debate, the first hour is structured but the candidates and moderator must wear shock collars. The moderator has, say, 30 seconds to ask a question and if he/she goes over that …BOOM, they get nailed with an electrical shock. The candidates have their allotted time to answer the question or say whatever they want with a 10 second warning that their time is about to expire. If they exceed their time…BOOM, they receive some attention grabbing volts. If any of the participants (including the moderator) speak out of turn, BOOM…they get shocked. This should eliminate interruptions and cross talk.

For the last 30 minutes, it is the free for all segment where the candidates get to remove their shock collars (moderator has to keep theirs on) and let them battle it out.

Just my quasi serious 2 cents.