Trump’s taxes

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Trump’s taxes

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:45 am

LCH wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:58 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 am
We. NEED. Sports.

8)
Yep, and for this damned election to be over.
AGREED!!!

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:38 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding Trump's business acumen. All he really has to do to prove everyone wrong is produce his tax returns, but I'm pretty sure there is a reason he won't. If Trump is writing off past losses of that size then maybe his GUT INSTINCTS are more like money diarrhea.

Regarding Trump as President, he has alienated our allies and cozied up to dictators. He has weakened the US because he is seen as a big mouth with no substance in the eyes of our adversaries. Putin plays him like a fiddle and has about 100 IQ points on him.

I see no way a Democratic administration could do worse than this guy. Biden himself is relatively moderate and is willing to listen to those who know more than him. He would surround himself with a competent cabinet and is humble enough respect their views even if he doesn't agree.

Regarding Covid spending...there probably would have been much less need to spend if Trump had listened to his advisers about the fact there was something bad going on in China way back in early February. He was too busy sucking up to China's dictator to get his trade deal through to take steps stopping travel to and from China.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:53 pm

LCH wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:38 pm
We'll have to agree to disagree regarding Trump's business acumen. All he really has to do to prove everyone wrong is produce his tax returns, but I'm pretty sure there is a reason he won't. If Trump is writing off past losses of that size then maybe his GUT INSTINCTS are more like money diarrhea.

Regarding Trump as President, he has alienated our allies and cozied up to dictators. He has weakened the US because he is seen as a big mouth with no substance in the eyes of our adversaries. Putin plays him like a fiddle and has about 100 IQ points on him.

I see no way a Democratic administration could do worse than this guy. Biden himself is relatively moderate and is willing to listen to those who know more than him. He would surround himself with a competent cabinet and is humble enough respect their views even if he doesn't agree.

Regarding Covid spending...there probably would have been much less need to spend if Trump had listened to his advisers about the fact there was something bad going on in China way back in early February. He was too busy sucking up to China's dictator to get his trade deal through to take steps stopping travel to and from China.
Yet when Trump implemented travel restrictions to and from China, Biden and other Dems said he was a xenophobe, over reacting, racist against Asians... etc. Also, isn't Trump donating all his presidential salary? Let me guess... anyone on the left will just call this a publicity stunt. :roll:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:25 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:53 pm
Also, isn't Trump donating all his presidential salary? Let me guess... anyone on the left will just call this a publicity stunt. :roll:
Trump has spent over $110,000,000 at his own golf courses. I think I would rather have paid him his salary than all the money he has spent at his own properties....

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:40 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:10 pm
So Trump pays next to nothing in taxes and then he uses our money to go golfing.

I am VERY curious how his base will excuse his criminal tax evasion.

Trump is literally a criminal and is the POTUS. Yikes!
How is his tax evasion criminal? Did he break a law? When Exxon and Amazon don’t pay any taxes, are they criminal as well?

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:40 pm
The Butcher wrote:
So Trump pays next to nothing in taxes and then he uses our money to go golfing.

How is his tax evasion criminal? Did he break a law? When Exxon and Amazon don’t pay any taxes, are they criminal as well?
Fair enough. Either he is a terrible businessman or he is guilty of tax evasion. I would bet it is both.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 pm

So if what im reading is accurate, Trump could pay his taxes for 93 years on what he pays for his hair in one year.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:24 pm

Everyone cheats on their taxes. Well, almost everyone. No, everyone.

One of my favorite authors, attorney Vincent Bugliosi, used to use a version of that line in trials. Whenever a witness was presented as an honest person that "would never tell a lie."

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Fair enough. Either he is a terrible businessman or he is guilty of tax evasion. I would bet it is both.
You do realize that there are other ways to get tax credits? Some industries earn tax credits for making certain investments, such as certain types of infrastructure. There is actually a market to resell tax credits. And that “terrible” businessman happens to be the 259th richest person in America at $3.1 billion. And you have zero evidence that he is guilty of tax evasion, except you think so.. that is called Trump Derangement Syndrome.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

You do realize that there are other ways to get tax credits? Some industries earn tax credits for making certain investments, such as certain types of infrastructure. There is actually a market to resell tax credits. And that “terrible” businessman happens to be the 259th richest person in America at $3.1 billion. And you have zero evidence that he is guilty of tax evasion, except you think so.. that is called Trump Derangement Syndrome.
I wouldn't say zero evidence, but nothing has been proven yet. There's also a Trump Derangement Syndrome that involves his far right followers, of which there are millions, thinking that nothing he does is ever wrong.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 pm

LCH wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:59 pm
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

I seriously doubt he's worth anywhere near what he claims and I believe that's the real reason he doesn't want to produce his returns. Just my opinion.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:40 pm

LCH wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 pm
LCH wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

I seriously doubt he's worth anywhere near what he claims and I believe that's the real reason he doesn't want to produce his returns. Just my opinion.
Maybe. But hard to say he is a terrible business person or not successful. That is what many have been trying to say.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:40 pm
LCH wrote:
LCH wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Maybe. But hard to say he is a terrible business person or not successful. That is what many have been trying to say.
when you read the information from his tax records, do you come away thinking he’s a great business person?

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:08 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:40 pm
LCH wrote:
LCH wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

when you read the information from his tax records, do you come away thinking he’s a great business person?
I am not sure there is enough information or an unbiased source writing the article. There are so many reasons for write offs and tax credits. As mentioned earlier, Exxon had wrote off some billion dollar investments due to various factors ranging from poor market to lack of production to lack of demand. All of those decisions came from the top and nobody is saying that Exxon has awful business people at the top.

I had a longtime client file for bankruptcy in 2019 while owing us a significant amount of money. They had a catastrophic failure at their plant that resulted in financial ruin. We didn’t do anything wrong, but it had a significant impact on our bottom line.

Dennis Washington is considered a pretty savvy business person. Did you realize that he purchased a large size railroad in Iowa that was a huge failure? He has also been involved in cryptocurrency investments that have struggled. He wrote off those losses just like Trump.

The fact is that Trump is one the Forbes list of 400 wealthiest in the US. You do not make that list without being a reasonable businessman.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:03 pm

My guess is that a large percentage of people on that list inherited their wealth, like Trump. Being on a list of the wealthiest doesn't make you a great businessman.

Dennis Washington is a great businessman, he started with nothing and created his wealth, same with Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Jeff Bezos. Yes each of these men probably suffered setbacks but they didn't use bankruptcy as their business model like Trump does.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:26 pm