Transition of Power

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Transition of Power

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:51 am

So Trump has stated he will not commit to a peaceful transition of power.
A few GOP elected officials have spoken out about Trump's statement, but the vast majority has been quiet.
It is frustrating to watch the POTUS blatantly damage our democracy and his supports stand idly allowing his actions to continue.
This is why I do not consider myself a Republican any longer. The party is only interested in power, not what is best for the country.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/politics ... index.html

coachouert
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Transition of Power

Post by coachouert » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:12 am

I don't like the guy, but answering straight up "yes" to this question concedes he thinks he will lose which people would have had a field day with too including possible supporters/donors. Could he have answered it better: absolutely. Saying something like "as per tradition, there would be a peaceful transition of power in the tiny chance I lose, but we don't need to worry about that for another four years."

Just my .02.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:36 am

Coach I would agree with your take on his reply except I don't think Trump is smart enough to go through those kinds of mental calculations. I honestly think his refusal to state that an orderly transferal of power, based on the electorates wishes, is a foundation of our democracy is terrifying.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:04 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:51 am
A few GOP elected officials have spoken out about Trump's statement, but the vast majority has been quiet.
It is frustrating to watch the POTUS blatantly damage our democracy and his supports stand idly allowing his actions to continue.
This is why I do not consider myself a Republican any longer. The party is only interested in power, not what is best for the country.

Why should he commit to this if he suspects there is some hanky panky going on by the Democrats to unjustly influence the outcome of the election???

coachouert

Post by coachouert » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:14 am

LCH wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:36 am
Coach I would agree with your take on his reply except I don't think Trump is smart enough to go through those kinds of mental calculations. I honestly think his refusal to state that an orderly transferal of power, based on the electorates wishes, is a foundation of our democracy is terrifying.
That is absolutely a legit take and one that I actually agree with for the most part in my bias POV, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt...today.

coachouert

Post by coachouert » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:16 am

wapiti wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:04 am
The Butcher wrote:

Why should he commit to this if he suspects there is some hanky panky going on by the Democrats to unjustly influence the outcome of the election???
So it's okay that he suspects hanky panky (good use of hanky panky by the way), but if anyone on the other side of the aisle suspects any hanky panky, then they should just shut up?

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:24 am

coachouert wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:16 am
wapiti wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

So it's okay that he suspects hanky panky (good use of hanky panky by the way), but if anyone on the other side of the aisle suspects any hanky panky, then they should just shut up?
There have been past President elections that have been contested. Remember the hanging Chads in Florida.
If the election is close and the winner is Trump will Biden concede or will he contest it?

The conclusion Butcher is making from this biased article is misguided.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 am

wapiti wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:24 am
coachouert wrote:
wapiti wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

There have been past President elections that have been contested. Remember the hanging Chads in Florida.
If the election is close and the winner is Trump will Biden concede or will he contest it?

Wapiti: when are you going to respond to your Jussie Smollett comment/comparison to Jesse Jones in that thread?

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:15 am

Don’t forget that Biden has already assembled a team of lawyers to contest the election if he loses. Both sides are not going to concede unless the results are clear cut.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:23 am

The difference is that Trump is proactively sowing misinformation on the electoral process falsely claiming that it will be rigged. He is creating doubt in the legitimacy of the election without grounds in fact.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:32 am

LCH wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:23 am
The difference is that Trump is proactively sowing misinformation on the electoral process falsely claiming that it will be rigged. He is creating doubt in the legitimacy of the election without grounds in fact.
I think your opinion is greatly influenced by your political affiliation. Both sides are taking actions to sway the election in their favor. Did you see that Democrat Bloomberg paid the fines of 30,000 felons in Florida so they could vote for the Democratic ticket?

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:01 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 am
wapiti wrote:
coachouert wrote:
wapiti wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Wapiti: when are you going to respond to your Jussie Smollett comment/comparison to Jesse Jones in that thread?
It would do no good to respond to it. Your mind is made up.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:03 am

LCH wrote:
Without grounds or facts:
Then what is this??
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florid ... estigation

The democrats are trying to buy the election with illegal votes.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:18 am

wapiti wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:03 am
LCH wrote:
Then what is this??

First- this is not illegal... How do you know these people would even vote or vote for Biden?
Second- "paying fines" was obliviously a way for the GOP to work around Florida voters passing a law allowing felons to vote
Third- Trump supporters need to realize that Trump loves making up things without any actual facts
Fourth- THERE IS NO PROOF OF VOTING FRAUD
Fifth- Ummmm, Trump said he will not commit to a peaceful transition of power and you are not worried about that?

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:21 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:18 am
wapiti wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:03 am
LCH wrote:
Then what is this??

First- this is not illegal...
Second- "paying fines" was obliviously a way for the GOP to work around Florida voters passing a law allowing felons to vote
Third- Trump supporters need to realize that Trump loves making up things without any actual facts
Fourth- THERE IS NO PROOF OF VOTING FRAUD
Fifth- Ummmm, Trump said he will not commit to a peaceful transition of power and you are not worried about that?
And you are not worried that Biden will not concede if he loses?
This is not about transfer of power, but a matter of contesting the election. Especially if it is close.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:11 pm

wapiti wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:01 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 am
wapiti wrote:
coachouert wrote:
wapiti wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

It would do no good to respond to it. Your mind is made up.
No my mind isn't made up. Are you saying Jessie Jones is doing the same thing that Jussie Smollet did? If so, please explain.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 pm

LCH wrote:
My, how some so easily forget 2016 when Trump was being hammered on whether or not he’d accept the election results. Ends up that it was Hillary that has never accepted the election results by blaming all the world except her miserable self.

And don’t forget how Obama/Biden/Brennan/Clapper/Yates/Lynch/Comey/Strzok/McCabe/Weissmann et al tried to circumvent the orderly transferal of power and the electorates wishes with a soft coup attempt against candidate and then President Trump. That is what is terrifying to our REPUBLIC.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:13 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:32 am
LCH wrote:
I think your opinion is greatly influenced by your political affiliation. Both sides are taking actions to sway the election in their favor. Did you see that Democrat Bloomberg paid the fines of 30,000 felons in Florida so they could vote for the Democratic ticket?
You are making bold assumptions regarding my political affiliation. I do not vote party lines, I vote for a candidate based on his/her record. 2016 was the 1st time I voted for a Democrat for president and I did it holding my nose.

I could come up with multiple affronts against our election process by both parties. My problem is with Trump. He is a liar, a bully, misogynistic, a crook, divisive, and stupid. He is, in short, a reality TV star. He had these same characteristics in 2016, hence my vote against him.

I had hoped once elected he would change given the gravity of his job. Nope, still the same name calling, immature sulking, blame deflecting whiner he always has been. So there, that's how I really feel.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:58 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 pm
LCH wrote:
My, how some so easily forget 2016 when Trump was being hammered on whether or not he’d accept the election results. Ends up that it was Hillary that has never accepted the election results by blaming all the world except her miserable self.

And don’t forget how Obama/Biden/Brennan/Clapper/Yates/Lynch/Comey/Strzok/McCabe/Weissmann et al tried to circumvent the orderly transferal of power and the electorates wishes with a soft coup attempt against candidate and then President Trump. That is what is terrifying to our REPUBLIC.
And as of this minute the dependentocrat leadership/most supporters have not conceded the election to Trump. And now there are new calls for impeachment.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Conceding an election and transferring power are two different things. Power was most assuredly transferred. Are you referring to the fact that the Democrats maintain that Trump didn't win the popular vote?