Has this ever happened before?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by KittieKop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:46 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:57 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:23 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:28 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:03 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 pm
Are you asking if a terrible accident has ever occurred before? Or just specifically a Republican or Democrat?
Has this ever happened before? That's the title of the thread anyways, so just guessing that'd be what he's asking. Do people often say they thought they hit a deer when it was actually another human being? I don't think I've ever heard of that one before, but not saying it hasn't happened.

The SD AG had six speeding tix from 2014 to 2018. A lot people, including myself, think he's probably lying, do you? But how do you prove something like that? When you hit a deer, you should mercifully go back and check to make sure it's dead, and that it isn't causing a hazard for other motorists. It's not a law. Given, that he's an AG, the fact that he didn't stay at the scene for law enforcement is suspicious. That would've been the 'by-the-book' thing to do.
This is a very sad deal for sure. I have heard of a driver hitting a human and trying to claim they thought it was a deer or dog but I didn't believe them in that case and don't in this one either.
This story sounds a little bit similar to when Shane Hedges who was an aide to Gov. Judy Martz was the driver in an accident where another man was killed. If I recall correctly at first he seemed to deny his level of involvement but eventually did plead guilty to the charges that were brought against him. Hopefully the SD AG will do the right thing in this case as well. The Hedges wreck was the one where Gov. Martz thought it was a good idea to wash Hedges' bloody clothes ...
The AG released his version of events yesterday. Not blow by blow, but essentially said he hit what he assumed was a deer. He stopped along the road, couldn't find anything. He went nearby to the sheriff's house and got him (apparently know each other?) They both went out, couldn't find anything. AG said he was headed in the next morning with a staffer (?), they stopped in the daylight to look, discovered the man in the ditch, called the sheriff back over. Says he didn't have a drop to drink at the event the prior night, providing lists of people to verify. Says he has sat down to be interviewed and is cooperating. Obviously a lot of threads to follow for investigators, and what you're likely to believe or disbelieve depends on your political bent and ability to be impartial. Quite different than the Martz/Hedges situation from years ago.
It does seem different than that Hedges situation years ago but something still seems quite a bit off with the story the AG is giving.
Frankly I think he pretty much knew that he had not hit a deer. For someone who assumed he had hit a deer he seems to have gone far beyond the norm to find the assumed hit deer. It's sad no matter what. It's at least a good thing that he evidently hadn't been drinking.
No matter what is said by either side in this, I can guarantee there's always more to the story. Let's change one little bit here, I think this is actually closer to what the AG said or implied: he said he knew/felt he hit something, didn't know what, pulled to the side, looked around, etc, etc, etc as explained before. He assumed when neither he nor the sheriff found anything, must have been a deer. Deer got up and ran off. Certainly been known to happen. Lots of deer running around crippled after being hit by cars.. I don't know. Don't know any of them involved in the story, their reputations, etc. Doesn't matter one bit what capital letter they list after their name.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:20 am

It’s plausible that the AG didn’t know he hit a person, but to just take his word for it without a full, independent investigation is just nuts.

I’m trying to think how this could’ve played out that doesn’t make him responsible. I know of an instance where a man with a severe mental disorder jumped in front of a semi, but the driver knew he hit a person.

Perhaps this man was walking slightly on the road and wearing dark clothes or a fur coat or a tan coat and tan pants. And the AG was taking a drink of water from a near empty water bottle so he had his head tilted way back right at the time the man tripped and fell onto the road.

He might’ve called 911 because he didn’t know the local law enforcement number and didn’t want to search for it on his cell phone or was outside the service area for cell phone coverage.

But before we just let him walk, we should wait to see what the independent investigation says.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:48 am

I see Trumps former campaign manager, Brad Parscale, just beat up his wife and then got into an armed standoff with police.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:41 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:48 am
I see Trumps former campaign manager, Brad Parscale, just beat up his wife and then got into an armed standoff with police.
Trump only hires the best people. :roll:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:08 am

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:09 am

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:25 am

Thank you Chris Wallace of FOX News. :thumbup:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:26 am

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:26 am

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:27 am

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:33 pm

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:13 pm

There's hope for us yet! :D

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:19 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:13 pm

There's hope for us yet! :D
Pretty sure the first guy on the scene stole his wallet. :)

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:36 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:41 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:48 am
Trump only hires the best people. :roll:
Seems Obama and Hillary hired someone really nice people as well🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47934.html
A former staff member of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton said on Friday she hoped Donald Trump dies following his positive diagnosis of Covid-19.

In a now-deleted tweet, Zara Rahim used star emojis to highlight her position to the 37,000 followers of her verified account.

seataccat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:01 am

oedipuss wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:58 pm
I was watching something the other night where one of the commentators raised a point I hadn't thought about. They said that George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, John McCain, and Mitt Romney would not be wanted or invited at this year's Republican National Convention. And it took me aback to think that past presidents and nominees of the party of Lincoln would no longer be welcome within its doors. Then I thought about the folks still in the circus tent that won't be invited: Lisa Murkowski, Ben Sasse, Liz Cheney, past senator Jeff Flake, and Larry Hogan. It's just bizarre. My dad who's in his 70's recently said he wasn't voting for any of the current lineup of Republicans in the election. When I asked him why, he said because he hadn't changed or abandoned the Republican Party in all the years he had been voting but they had recently abandoned him. Now I think dad's world view has changed as he's been battling blatter cancer for the past year. But it's different for me to hear my grumpy old Norwegian father- who espoused the virtues of Reagan daily as I grew up- basically giving up on this "new" Republican Party.
I largely agree with this. Except for his rhetoric, Reagan's policies were right in line with the deplorable republicans of today? Were they not? Arming afghanistan terrorists, selling weapons to the Iranians, arming sadaam hussein, arming the contras. He was a war monger and corrupt as the day is long.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:09 am

Still blows my mind to see the husband of one a president’s right hand people having what some people refer to as Trump Derangement Syndrome. You’d have to say George is the no. 1 sufferer of TDS. I don’t think this has ever happened before.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:32 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:09 am

Still blows my mind to see the husband of one a president’s right hand people having what some people refer to as Trump Derangement Syndrome. You’d have to say George is the no. 1 sufferer of TDS. I don’t think this has ever happened before.
How can your memory of James Carville and Mary Matalin have faded away so completely? I don't understand how these 2 couples ever got together and how they survive their polar differences. Poster couples for opposites attract.

I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:37 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:32 am
TomCat88 wrote:

How can your memory of James Carville and Mary Matalin have faded away so completely? I don't understand how these 2 couples ever got together and how they survive their polar differences. Poster couples for opposites attract.
I didn’t know that. Guess it has happened before. No Twitter back then.

toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:37 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:32 am
TomCat88 wrote:

I didn’t know that. Guess it has happened before. No Twitter back then.
Was just getting ready to post this...

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:52 pm