Has this ever happened before?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:49 pm
4 years of hibernation.

:lol:

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 am
It makes great sense as long as they eliminate all the pork in the bill that has nothing to do with Covid relief and hold the cost of the bill to 900 billion.
Riders on bills are ridicules. It is crazy how these have become part of the process.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:50 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:10 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:36 pm
I have not seen anything from Pelosi or AOC or Schumer or Talib saying let’s remove the pork spending and get the checks out to the people. That is Trumps message. Get money into the hands of American people - not spend money on stuff like gender education in Pakistan ($10 million). This bill will not become law unless the garbage is removed. Seriously, how can the government contemplate two additions to the Smithsonian when many people across this country are struggling to make ends meet?
As I said. There are numerous separate bills that have been packaged together as an omnibus (which has been standard practice).

I think AOC and Pelosi have been saying pass the omnibus and pass a separate amendment that increases the stimulus amount to $2000
People are turning this bill into an issue. Everything in it would’ve been approved at some point. We’ve been funding things like this for decades. The only rub is the $600/$2000 deal.

AOC and others already have another bill written to replace this one. Trump will pass it.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:22 am

Democrats will try to pass unanimous consent for $2,000 payment today. If it doesn't pass, then they'll push a bill to increase from $600 to $2,000 in the existing bill.

CatBot
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatBot » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:32 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:22 am
Democrats will try to pass unanimous consent for $2,000 payment today. If it doesn't pass, then they'll push a bill to increase from $600 to $2,000 in the existing bill.
Failed a called for unanimous consent.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:25 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 am
It makes great sense as long as they eliminate all the pork in the bill that has nothing to do with Covid relief and hold the cost of the bill to 900 billion.
Riders on bills are ridicules. It is crazy how these have become part of the process.
I don't even know how feasible it would be but I would love to see each spending bill be stand alone, Defense only, Education only, etc... There would not be 2500 page, 5500 page bills out there where reading them is IMPOSSIBLE. Wondering if "the parties" would allow it? I think there are a few that would love it but not near enough.

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:50 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I have not seen anything from Pelosi or AOC or Schumer or Talib saying let’s remove the pork spending and get the checks out to the people. That is Trumps message. Get money into the hands of American people - not spend money on stuff like gender education in Pakistan ($10 million). This bill will not become law unless the garbage is removed. Seriously, how can the government contemplate two additions to the Smithsonian when many people across this country are struggling to make ends meet?
As I said. There are numerous separate bills that have been packaged together as an omnibus (which has been standard practice).

I think AOC and Pelosi have been saying pass the omnibus and pass a separate amendment that increases the stimulus amount to $2000
People are turning this bill into an issue. Everything in it would’ve been approved at some point. We’ve been funding things like this for decades. The only rub is the $600/$2000 deal.

AOC and others already have another bill written to replace this one. Trump will pass it.
We have not faced a situation like Covid economic uncertainties for decades. It would seem that many of those “other” programs could be delayed for a year or two while we focus on taking care of US citizens right now. That is the whole crux of Trumps issue with the bill. Why are we limiting payouts to US citizens at $600 while we continue to fund such programs to foreign governments.

And my understanding is AOC’s bills is an amendment to the existing bill. Basically the existing bill must be approved before she can amend it. It may have changed, but that was the status earlier this week.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:43 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:37 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

We have not faced a situation like Covid economic uncertainties for decades. It would seem that many of those “other” programs could be delayed for a year or two while we focus on taking care of US citizens right now. That is the whole crux of Trumps issue with the bill. Why are we limiting payouts to US citizens at $600 while we continue to fund such programs to foreign governments.

And my understanding is AOC’s bills is an amendment to the existing bill. Basically the existing bill must be approved before she can amend it. It may have changed, but that was the status earlier this week.
Let’s get serious about fighting Covid starting........NOW

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:49 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:43 pm
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Yeah... it is like we haven’t done anything in the past year. I mean we haven’t developed a vaccine, stopped travel from other countries, shut down businesses, eliminated public events, festivals, concerts, etc.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:05 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:43 pm
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Looks like a good place for this then...

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News ... spx/291374

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:51 pm

Yes, I think this fits on this post. Has this ever happened before? Have campaign workers ever stolen packages from porches where they are handing our flyers?

Sounds like a bad SNL routine.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/1 ... tent=daily

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:56 am

Trump has announced he will NOT be at the Biden's Inauguration. This HAS happened, but not in the modern age. I can't say I am surprised.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:59 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:56 am
Trump has announced he will NOT be at the Biden's Inauguration. This HAS happened, but not in the modern age. I can't say I am surprised.
The last two presidents who didn’t attend the inauguration of their successor were Nixon and JFK.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:51 pm
Yes, I think this fits on this post. Has this ever happened before? Have campaign workers ever stolen packages from porches where they are handing our flyers?

Sounds like a bad SNL routine.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/1 ... tent=daily
What a shocking thing that someone would essentially create a costume or a rouse to steal from unsuspecting people. This is the first time in human history I believe?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:32 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:59 am
The Butcher wrote:
The last two presidents who didn’t attend the inauguration of their successor were Nixon and JFK.
Worth noting Nixon wasn't the outgoing president.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:40 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:32 am
wbtfg wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Both Nixon and JFK were outgoing presidents for very different reasons. They didn’t attend the inauguration of their successor.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:40 am
The Butcher wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Both Nixon and JFK were outgoing presidents for very different reasons. They didn’t attend the inauguration of their successor.
I need to brush up on my history but can you consider Nixon an outgoing president? Did he finish his full term? For some reason I thought he didn't.

Obviously JFK doesn't count.

This just shows how big of baby DT (not calling him by name) is.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:12 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 pm
wbtfg wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
I need to brush up on my history but can you consider Nixon an outgoing president? Did he finish his full term? For some reason I thought he didn't.

Precisely. 👍

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
The outgoing POTUS was Gerald Ford not Nixon for Jimmy Carter's inauguration is what I am saying. Unless you are saying Nixon wasn't at Ford's de facto inauguration .

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:52 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:12 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 pm
wbtfg wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Precisely. 👍
I heard on the radio (sports radio which is funny) today that it hasnt been since John Adams or John Quincy Adams that an outgoing president hasn't sat in on the incoming presidents inauguration. Regardless what an insane flipping week.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level