Has this ever happened before?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

grizgirl
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by grizgirl » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:23 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:45 am
CDS?
Do you think he deserves an Emmy?

And New York continues to devolve into chaos. Between Cuomo and Deblasio, the city doesn’t have a chance.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/subway-shovi ... to-anarchy
The increase in violence has given rise to fears that the city could be returning to darker times, decades ago, when residents feared for their safety amid a crack epidemic. The new crime wave comes as the city also grapples with a faltering economy and pressure to enact police reforms championed by racial justice advocates.

"It's almost like a perfect storm," Alfred Titus Jr., an assistant professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a former NYPD homicide detective, previously told Fox News. "We had bail reform, then defunding the police, which cut the amount of officers on the streets and the overtime that could be made, and now we have COVID-19."

Citywide, shootings have nearly doubled -- from 698 last year to 1,359 this year as of Nov. 15, according to NYPD figures. 

Police union officials lay the blame squarely on elected officials. The Police Benevolent Association, which represents rank-and-file officers, and the Sergeants Benevolent Association have chided local leaders and their progressive policies for handicapping officers on the street and emboldening criminals. 
does it matter if he gets an emmy? i mean who cares. i’m surprised anyone would even notice that or care if they did notice it. emmys are a junior varsity award.
He's been given the award based on his briefings, not his actions or policies. So, yeah, big deal and congrats to the mayor for giving great presentations to the public, wow.
This is an example of party before people. Here is language from the release:
The International Emmy Awards announced on Friday that the Democrat will receive its Founder's Award "in recognition of his leadership during the Covid19 pandemic & his masterful use of TV to inform & calm people around the world."
Uhh, what? They didn’t say anything about his response to Covid in general. Just that he did a good job using TV to inform and calm people. Such a trivial thing to be bent out of shape over.

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:48 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:23 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:45 am
CDS?
Do you think he deserves an Emmy?

And New York continues to devolve into chaos. Between Cuomo and Deblasio, the city doesn’t have a chance.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/subway-shovi ... to-anarchy
The increase in violence has given rise to fears that the city could be returning to darker times, decades ago, when residents feared for their safety amid a crack epidemic. The new crime wave comes as the city also grapples with a faltering economy and pressure to enact police reforms championed by racial justice advocates.

"It's almost like a perfect storm," Alfred Titus Jr., an assistant professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a former NYPD homicide detective, previously told Fox News. "We had bail reform, then defunding the police, which cut the amount of officers on the streets and the overtime that could be made, and now we have COVID-19."

Citywide, shootings have nearly doubled -- from 698 last year to 1,359 this year as of Nov. 15, according to NYPD figures. 

Police union officials lay the blame squarely on elected officials. The Police Benevolent Association, which represents rank-and-file officers, and the Sergeants Benevolent Association have chided local leaders and their progressive policies for handicapping officers on the street and emboldening criminals. 
does it matter if he gets an emmy? i mean who cares. i’m surprised anyone would even notice that or care if they did notice it. emmys are a junior varsity award.
He's been given the award based on his briefings, not his actions or policies. So, yeah, big deal and congrats to the mayor for giving great presentations to the public, wow.
This is an example of party before people. Here is language from the release:
The International Emmy Awards announced on Friday that the Democrat will receive its Founder's Award "in recognition of his leadership during the Covid19 pandemic & his masterful use of TV to inform & calm people around the world."
Uhh, what? They didn’t say anything about his response to Covid in general. Just that he did a good job using TV to inform and calm people. Such a trivial thing to be bent out of shape over.
“In recognition of his leadership”.... I wonder if that includes his directive to place Covid patients into nursing homes. Maybe you can explain why Cuomo is so deserving to the families of those that died from his directive.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:05 pm

Chris Krebs, former director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, says that comments by Joe diGenova, a lawyer for Donald Trump, that Krebs should be “taken out and shot." TUMP'S LAWYER!!! This is not normal.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:05 pm
Chris Krebs, former director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, says that comments by Joe diGenova, a lawyer for Donald Trump, that Krebs should be “taken out and shot." TUMP'S LAWYER!!! This is not normal.
One of his lawyer's is urging him to declare martial law, and forecasting a civil war.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:22 pm

What will it take for Republicans (more than just a handful, that is) to finally come out and en masse forcefully denounce this lunacy by Trump and his legal team? If the way he conducted himself as president over the last 4 years hasn't convinced people what a deranged sociopath he is, then surely the way he's conducted himself since the election should have convinced everyone by now. This is the sort of thing we might expect from autocratic leaders like Vladimir Putin, not from our own president. To all the Trump supporters out there...how can you possibly continue to defend his (and his legal team's) words and actions?? When even Bill Barr comes out and says there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud, then I think the time has come for Trump to do the world a favor, and just shut up and go away!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:43 pm

Lots of talk about Trump offering preemptive pardons. Has this ever happened before?

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:43 pm
Lots of talk about Trump offering preemptive pardons. Has this ever happened before?
The Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House or related political committee in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court records unsealed Tuesday in federal court. So I guess draining the swamp hasn’t gone very well...

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:44 pm

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:02 pm

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:20 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Look into Marc Rich being pardoned by Clinton.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:38 pm

BroncoCat wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:20 pm
wbtfg wrote:
There’s lots of super shady pardons out there and Marc Rich is a good example. I just don’t know of any preemptive pardons.

bobcat92
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcat92 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:44 pm

Every time I see reference to this press conference I can't stop hearing this exchange from the McCarthy hearings in the 1950s in my head. How could you single out a 20 year old and cast him as the villain of the "voter fraud in Georgia". He and his family are getting death threats. Just the tip of the iceberg.

I have to agree with the sentiment in the press conference.

Trump knows what he is doing. The more he stirs the pot the more money he gets in his slush fund. Up to $170 million. Only needs another $230 million and he has his $400 million debt is paid off. I predict he will walk out of the WH with a pot of more than $500 million. So much for draining the swamp, he opened the Hoover dam into it.

I predict he will also pardon himself, family, and inner circle before he leaves office so he and they can't be touched.

Repeat this again in 2024?

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:54 am

BroncoCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I am all for it! Sketchy actions should always be looked into (I am no Clinton fan, but he hasn't been POTUS for 19 years).
(also worth noting Marc Rich is dead)

The one BIG difference is the preempted pardons, and ALL encompassing pardons. So the pardon wouldn't be for any identified crime(s), it would be for ANY crimes committed to the date of the pardon known or unknown (the POTUS can't pardon future crimes). Another BIG difference is Trump is not consulting with the Office of the Pardon Attorney, which I don't believe has happened in modern history.

BroncoCat

Post by BroncoCat » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:54 am
BroncoCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I am all for it! Sketchy actions should always be looked into (I am no Clinton fan, but he hasn't been POTUS for 19 years).

The one BIG difference is the preempted pardons, and ALL encompassing pardons. So the pardon wouldn't be for any identified crime(s), it would be for ANY crimes committed to the date of the pardon known or unknown (the POTUS can't pardon future crimes). Another BIG difference is Trump is not consulting with the Office of the Pardon Attorney, which I don't believe has happened in modern history.
The original question was if it happened before, and the one I always remember was Marc Rich. While Rich was pardoned while Clinton was walking out the door, the wheels were moving for 2 years to make it it happen. While Clinton did consult the office of pardon attorney, he ignored all of their recommendations to NOT pardon Marc Rich. I am not posting this to defend Trump, but my example is a very high profile one that is hard to ignore for blatant personal gain by an outgoing president, going against all legal advice presented.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:33 am

BroncoCat wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 am
The Butcher wrote:
BroncoCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

The original question was if it happened before, and the one I always remember was Marc Rich. While Rich was pardoned while Clinton was walking out the door, the wheels were moving for 2 years to make it it happen. While Clinton did consult the office of pardon attorney, he ignored all of their recommendations to NOT pardon Marc Rich. I am not posting this to defend Trump, but my example is a very high profile one that is hard to ignore for blatant personal gain by an outgoing president, going against all legal advice presented.
Without a doubt, it was shady.

But my understanding is that he had been charged and convicted with specific crimes and was pardoned for those specific crimes, correct?

I’m wondering if anyone had been pardoned even before any charges have been filed.

BroncoCat

Post by BroncoCat » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:33 am
BroncoCat wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 am
The Butcher wrote:
BroncoCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Without a doubt, it was shady.

But my understanding is that he had been charged and convicted with specific crimes and was pardoned for those specific crimes, correct?

I’m wondering if anyone had been pardoned even before any charges have been filed.
Ok. I interpreted your question wrong.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:25 am

wbtfg wrote:
If it happens I don't think it holds up in court.

It just doesn't make sense, I don't think it even happens. A preemptive pardon is admitting guilt and I just don't see that happening (admitting the guilt part). The fact we are even discussing it is absolutely outrageous.

The SCOTUS would knock this down in my opinion as it sets horrific precedence for future presidents.

Just my .02.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:31 pm

I don’t even know where to post this one. This is craaaaazzzzzy

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:25 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:31 pm

I'm moving past the point at nervously laughing at the tinfoil-hat-MAGA crowd, and I'm starting to become legitimately scared. These idiots are friggin' insane, and there's a frightening amount of them. I was downtown minding my own business on my way to get my hair cut today, and got caught up in a small but batsh!t crazy crowd of Pro-Trump, flag-waving, semi-automatic open-carrying MAGAts. I was extremely uneasy and a little scared. I just don't see any reason people need to be carry rifles and semi-automatic weapons around in downtown Boise? Freedom to bear arms doesn't give carte blanche to be a dangerous asshole.

GO CATS GO!!!

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:44 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:31 pm

These guys are idiots. I hope these MAGA extremists break away from the Republican Party and differentiate themselves from moderate Republicans. Similarly, the difference between a liberal Democrat and moderate Democrat is becoming more defined. If these Maga extremists leave the Republican Party, I actually think that some moderate Democrats would gravitate toward a moderate Republican Party.

And by the way, you won’t see these types of rallies supported by most right analysts like Fox News. These people are extremists and not what I support.