Has this ever happened before?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

arvcat2
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:35 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:41 pm
And this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/us/trump ... index.html
What a surprise. Ten’s of thousands of boats across this great country participating in Trump float parades and a minor mishap occurs at one event and that’s the only relevant part of these parades in the world of TomCat88 & his go to propaganda “news” outlet CNN.

BTW Mr. “Moderate” and cop hater, I do not LIVE on Bobcatnation like YOU do, nor am I on social media of any sort. I do not hide from you or the other lunatic lefties that frequent this place. Over the years, I have mostly enjoyed your sports posts. But in the political arena, you’re a fake full of sh#t. God speed and I miss your “informative” coronamania body count updates.

I leave you today with this remarkable quote of yours of 10 days ago: “When you protest/riot in the streets for days on end and it mostly boils down to spray painting, chanting, breaking windows it loses its newsworthiness.”

Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14279
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:53 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:35 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:41 pm
And this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/us/trump ... index.html
What a surprise. Ten’s of thousands of boats across this great country participating in Trump float parades and a minor mishap occurs at one event and that’s the only relevant part of these parades in the world of TomCat88 & his go to propaganda “news” outlet CNN.

BTW Mr. “Moderate” and cop hater, I do not LIVE on Bobcatnation like YOU do, nor am I on social media of any sort. I do not hide from you or the other lunatic lefties that frequent this place. Over the years, I have mostly enjoyed your sports posts. But in the political arena, you’re a fake full of sh#t. God speed and I miss your “informative” coronamania body count updates.

I leave you today with this remarkable quote of yours of 10 days ago: “When you protest/riot in the streets for days on end and it mostly boils down to spray painting, chanting, breaking windows it loses its newsworthiness.”

Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake
Hello Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake w/eyes on becoming a first rate Troll,

You should start out by not hiding behind a screen name. You wrote a check with your mouth last week that bounced all over this web page. Now you're upset because I'm pointing out the, what is now, hilarious (fortunately no one was hurt) event at Lake Travis. It really happened, wasn't propaganda, sorry. Those boats actually sunk each other. Classic!! Trying to show off with the flags --- I mean who does stuff like this? -- and it all went under, literally. If you don't see the humor in that and can't laugh at yourself (in a way), then that's really too bad. Try to not take yourself so seriously. Trump's presidency is labeled by some as a shipwreck and then this happens. The talk shows will be all over it this week.

I'm not a cop hater, btw. I have a Back the Blue lawn placard in my yard, along with a BLM placard. Yes, you can actually support both.

I'm sorry you can't accept that there are moderates out there in the world. I'd like to post more stuff that isn't either making fun of the right or is supporting the right to pacify you and your bruh cataholic, but there isn't much striking material out there.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:53 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:35 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:41 pm
And this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/us/trump ... index.html
What a surprise. Ten’s of thousands of boats across this great country participating in Trump float parades and a minor mishap occurs at one event and that’s the only relevant part of these parades in the world of TomCat88 & his go to propaganda “news” outlet CNN.

BTW Mr. “Moderate” and cop hater, I do not LIVE on Bobcatnation like YOU do, nor am I on social media of any sort. I do not hide from you or the other lunatic lefties that frequent this place. Over the years, I have mostly enjoyed your sports posts. But in the political arena, you’re a fake full of sh#t. God speed and I miss your “informative” coronamania body count updates.

I leave you today with this remarkable quote of yours of 10 days ago: “When you protest/riot in the streets for days on end and it mostly boils down to spray painting, chanting, breaking windows it loses its newsworthiness.”

Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake
Hello Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake w/eyes on becoming a first rate Troll,

You should start out by not hiding behind a screen name. You wrote a check with your mouth last week that bounced all over this web page. Now you're upset because I'm pointing out the, what is now, hilarious (fortunately no one was hurt) event at Lake Travis. It really happened, wasn't propaganda, sorry. Those boats actually sunk each other. Classic!! Trying to show off with the flags --- I mean who does stuff like this? -- and it all went under, literally. If you don't see the humor in that and can't laugh at yourself (in a way), then that's really too bad. Try to not take yourself so seriously. Trump's presidency is labeled by some as a shipwreck and then this happens. The talk shows will be all over it this week.

I'm not a cop hater, btw. I have a Back the Blue lawn placard in my yard, along with a BLM placard. Yes, you can actually support both.

I'm sorry you can't accept that there are moderates out there in the world. I'd like to post more stuff that isn't either making fun of the right or is supporting the right to pacify you and your bruh cataholic, but there isn't much striking material out there.
I have always tried to treat you with respect, but I am not afraid to call a spade a spade. I thought your post on boats sinking was pretty dumb, but I figured most of Bobcatnation just rolled their eyes at your post. I don’t have any placards in my yard, I respect the police and I despise racism. My wife was brought up in a Democrat family and has adamantly claimed she was still a Democrat until this year even thought she hates Trump! The Democratic Party ha doves too far left and liberal. They are a train wreck and Biden doesn’t know if he is for fracking or against fracking as he seems to change his mind depending on who he is taking to. Since you can claim to be a moderate, I am gonna claim to be a moderate for the rest of the election cycle as well.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14279
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:25 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:53 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:35 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:41 pm
And this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/us/trump ... index.html
What a surprise. Ten’s of thousands of boats across this great country participating in Trump float parades and a minor mishap occurs at one event and that’s the only relevant part of these parades in the world of TomCat88 & his go to propaganda “news” outlet CNN.

BTW Mr. “Moderate” and cop hater, I do not LIVE on Bobcatnation like YOU do, nor am I on social media of any sort. I do not hide from you or the other lunatic lefties that frequent this place. Over the years, I have mostly enjoyed your sports posts. But in the political arena, you’re a fake full of sh#t. God speed and I miss your “informative” coronamania body count updates.

I leave you today with this remarkable quote of yours of 10 days ago: “When you protest/riot in the streets for days on end and it mostly boils down to spray painting, chanting, breaking windows it loses its newsworthiness.”

Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake
Hello Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake w/eyes on becoming a first rate Troll,

You should start out by not hiding behind a screen name. You wrote a check with your mouth last week that bounced all over this web page. Now you're upset because I'm pointing out the, what is now, hilarious (fortunately no one was hurt) event at Lake Travis. It really happened, wasn't propaganda, sorry. Those boats actually sunk each other. Classic!! Trying to show off with the flags --- I mean who does stuff like this? -- and it all went under, literally. If you don't see the humor in that and can't laugh at yourself (in a way), then that's really too bad. Try to not take yourself so seriously. Trump's presidency is labeled by some as a shipwreck and then this happens. The talk shows will be all over it this week.

I'm not a cop hater, btw. I have a Back the Blue lawn placard in my yard, along with a BLM placard. Yes, you can actually support both.

I'm sorry you can't accept that there are moderates out there in the world. I'd like to post more stuff that isn't either making fun of the right or is supporting the right to pacify you and your bruh cataholic, but there isn't much striking material out there.
I have always tried to treat you with respect, but I am not afraid to call a spade a spade. I thought your post on boats sinking was pretty dumb, but I figured most of Bobcatnation just rolled their eyes at your post. I don’t have any placards in my yard, I respect the police and I despise racism. My wife was brought up in a Democrat family and has adamantly claimed she was still a Democrat until this year even thought she hates Trump! The Democratic Party ha doves too far left and liberal. They are a train wreck and Biden doesn’t know if he is for fracking or against fracking as he seems to change his mind depending on who he is taking to. Since you can claim to be a moderate, I am gonna claim to be a moderate for the rest of the election cycle as well.
I think most people who hadn’t seen the sinking Trump boats probably laughed after getting over their initial concern for their well being. If they didn’t, then they’re probably just dyed in wool Republicans, in which case I wouldn’t laugh either. If you don’t think it’s funny and think it’s dumb that’s okay, too. Not everyone reacts the same way.

Some people aren’t able to laugh at themselves. I’m sure even some of those swamped boat people are laughing at themselves today and taking all kinds of ribbing from their friends and family be they Trump or Biden supporters. All good fun as long as no one gets hurt. This had Darwin Award nominee written all over it. Hopefully no one is injured or killed at future events. This should serve notice.

I was at the lake about a month or so ago and a Trump flag in a boat was snapped off it’s pole and fell in the water. I could hear them laughing at themselves. Apparently whoever put the flag was told it was too big for the pole.

I own a boat, so it’s probably even funnier to me. I’ve had friends get swamped and it’s frightening to go through, but in the end they have a good laugh about it. The worst part is if the water is cold and brings on rapid hypothermia.

Good to hear you’ve become a moderate. If you consider the Democrats a train wreck, then what do you consider the Republicans? Do you agree with Kevin McCarthy or Trump on mail-in voting? Do you think Trump could’ve done more to curtail the coronavirus (if so what) or was the China ban adequate?

Have you ever considered using your real name as your username or putting your real name in your signature line? If not, why?


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:25 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:53 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:35 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:41 pm
And this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/us/trump ... index.html
What a surprise. Ten’s of thousands of boats across this great country participating in Trump float parades and a minor mishap occurs at one event and that’s the only relevant part of these parades in the world of TomCat88 & his go to propaganda “news” outlet CNN.

BTW Mr. “Moderate” and cop hater, I do not LIVE on Bobcatnation like YOU do, nor am I on social media of any sort. I do not hide from you or the other lunatic lefties that frequent this place. Over the years, I have mostly enjoyed your sports posts. But in the political arena, you’re a fake full of sh#t. God speed and I miss your “informative” coronamania body count updates.

I leave you today with this remarkable quote of yours of 10 days ago: “When you protest/riot in the streets for days on end and it mostly boils down to spray painting, chanting, breaking windows it loses its newsworthiness.”

Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake
Hello Random Bobcatnation Poster & Snowflake w/eyes on becoming a first rate Troll,

You should start out by not hiding behind a screen name. You wrote a check with your mouth last week that bounced all over this web page. Now you're upset because I'm pointing out the, what is now, hilarious (fortunately no one was hurt) event at Lake Travis. It really happened, wasn't propaganda, sorry. Those boats actually sunk each other. Classic!! Trying to show off with the flags --- I mean who does stuff like this? -- and it all went under, literally. If you don't see the humor in that and can't laugh at yourself (in a way), then that's really too bad. Try to not take yourself so seriously. Trump's presidency is labeled by some as a shipwreck and then this happens. The talk shows will be all over it this week.

I'm not a cop hater, btw. I have a Back the Blue lawn placard in my yard, along with a BLM placard. Yes, you can actually support both.

I'm sorry you can't accept that there are moderates out there in the world. I'd like to post more stuff that isn't either making fun of the right or is supporting the right to pacify you and your bruh cataholic, but there isn't much striking material out there.
I have always tried to treat you with respect, but I am not afraid to call a spade a spade. I thought your post on boats sinking was pretty dumb, but I figured most of Bobcatnation just rolled their eyes at your post. I don’t have any placards in my yard, I respect the police and I despise racism. My wife was brought up in a Democrat family and has adamantly claimed she was still a Democrat until this year even thought she hates Trump! The Democratic Party ha doves too far left and liberal. They are a train wreck and Biden doesn’t know if he is for fracking or against fracking as he seems to change his mind depending on who he is taking to. Since you can claim to be a moderate, I am gonna claim to be a moderate for the rest of the election cycle as well.
I think most people who hadn’t seen the sinking Trump boats probably laughed after getting over their initial concern for their well being. If they didn’t, then they’re probably just dyed in wool Republicans, in which case I wouldn’t laugh either. If you don’t think it’s funny and think it’s dumb that’s okay, too. Not everyone reacts the same way.

Some people aren’t able to laugh at themselves. I’m sure even some of those swamped boat people are laughing at themselves today and taking all kinds of ribbing from their friends and family be they Trump or Biden supporters. All good fun as long as no one gets hurt. This had Darwin Award nominee written all over it. Hopefully no one is injured or killed at future events. This should serve notice.

I was at the lake about a month or so ago and a Trump flag in a boat was snapped off it’s pole and fell in the water. I could hear them laughing at themselves. Apparently whoever put the flag was told it was too big for the pole.

I own a boat, so it’s probably even funnier to me. I’ve had friends get swamped and it’s frightening to go through, but in the end they have a good laugh about it. The worst part is if the water is cold and brings on rapid hypothermia.

Good to hear you’ve become a moderate. If you consider the Democrats a train wreck, then what do you consider the Republicans? Do you agree with Kevin McCarthy or Trump on mail-in voting? Do you think Trump could’ve done more to curtail the coronavirus (if so what) or was the China ban adequate?

Have you ever considered using your real name as your username or putting your real name in your signature line? If not, why?
I own a boat as well. Still didn’t find that funny though. I also thought the whole flying a flag boat parade was stupid (Trump or Biden - it doesn’t matter). What probably turned me off most though was why it is even newsworthy. A group of Trump haters see a chance to make poke fun at Trump supporters. That should not be funny. If it was BLM people and the same situation occurs, does it even get a blip in the news?

You spent a lot of time lecturing on the merits of what is newsworthy. Amazing how riots and damage in Portland do not justify coverage but an event like this does? I am guessing your “moderate” viewpoint has a lot to do with being a newsworthy event.

I am not going to a Trump rally anytime soon. I find myself defending him because the left is constantly attacking with just part of the story. Stuff the Bitcher or iaa post in particular have one goal - disparage Trump and the Republican Party. You know my stance on mail in ballots. My position happens to fall on the conservative side, mainly because if you want to mail in a ballot, a process already exists today. Mass mail in voting is a politically motivated concept to provide the Dems an advantage.

As for the coronavirus, it is an unprecedented time. There is no question that we can look back and question decisions by all leaders. NY Gov Cuomo’s decision to put COVID patients in nursing homes was a complete failure directly resulting in the deaths of thousands of people, yet he is being hailed as a hero in some circles. Of course Trump could have done some things better (and that applies to many things besides COVID), but I think everyone could have done better. Biden has been touting that his handling would have saved tens of thousands of lives, but the record shows that he criticized Trump for closing travel with China as xenophobic. Other Dems criticized Trump yet his action slowed down the spread. Look at Biden’s plan for Covid and you will see that he is touting the same things as Trump like fast tracking vaccine development, etc.

As for putting my real name in the signature line, I choose not to just like 99% of the posters here as well. Does that mean that my opinion is worth less? It shouldn’t, but that is for the reader to decide. I could post my name, but you probably wouldn’t get an “unfiltered” take from me. I share my “unfiltered” take with close friends and family, and not putting my name allows me to be frank. If you want to discount my opinion because it anonymous, that is up to you.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14279
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:51 am

You spent a lot of time lecturing on the merits of what is newsworthy. Amazing how riots and damage in Portland do not justify coverage but an event like this does? I am guessing your “moderate” viewpoint has a lot to do with being a newsworthy event.
You have to be intentionally not reading what I said to make this comparison. I stated numerous times that events (even wars) lose the attention they get from the media over time. Look at any long running event and you’ll see a similar reaction from the media. Especially when the details from day to day are similar. Unless something significant happens like a bomb blows up part of a building or a big fire burns down city hall, it doesn’t get much attention. If you can find an event that got consistently significant media coverage, please point it out.

I don’t think anyone has ever seen a boat rally where a bunch of boats sink. Have you? If so, please post it and I’ll be embarrassed for being out of the loop. If it continues to happen every day, then it’ll become dull fast. It’ll become dull by the second or third time actually. If you google it you’ll see a lot of clips from a lot of different sources that aired it or put it in print. Are you upset at each one of those local Texas news outlets for giving air time or print space to this story? I haven’t seen you complain about all the coverage this received. You’d think if it wasn’t newsworthy that not all of the local media outlets would’ve run it. It was in Texas, so I doubt that all of them were left wing and just showing it to make the right look bad.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:51 am
You spent a lot of time lecturing on the merits of what is newsworthy. Amazing how riots and damage in Portland do not justify coverage but an event like this does? I am guessing your “moderate” viewpoint has a lot to do with being a newsworthy event.
You have to be intentionally not reading what I said to make this comparison. I stated numerous times that events (even wars) lose the attention they get from the media over time. Look at any long running event and you’ll see a similar reaction from the media. Especially when the details from day to day are similar. Unless something significant happens like a bomb blows up part of a building or a big fire burns down city hall, it doesn’t get much attention. If you can find an event that got consistently significant media coverage, please point it out.

I don’t think anyone has ever seen a boat rally where a bunch of boats sink. Have you? If so, please post it and I’ll be embarrassed for being out of the loop. If it continues to happen every day, then it’ll become dull fast. It’ll become dull by the second or third time actually. If you google it you’ll see a lot of clips from a lot of different sources that aired it or put it in print. Are you upset at each one of those local Texas news outlets for giving air time or print space to this story? I haven’t seen you complain about all the coverage this received. You’d think if it wasn’t newsworthy that not all of the local media outlets would’ve run it. It was in Texas, so I doubt that all of them were left wing and just showing it to make the right look bad.
I completely understand your rationale on not being newsworthy anymore. Our discussion has been specific about the protests, riots and violence in major urban areas, particularly in Portland. Your argument that it is no longer newsworthy is only because you are a liberal and it does not meet your agenda. There has been coverage virtually every single day on Fox News and Fox - both locally and nationally. CNN and other mainstream media have chosen to not cover the events - such as the beating of an innocent person assisting a transgender woman. Front page of Fox News today featured 5 articles on countrywide violence including this main article as the headline:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... run-cities

CNN has nothing on countrywide violence, but it does have these gems:

“Gender Reveal Sparks Major Fire”
“Fox News Contradicts Trump Comments”
“The Princess Bride” Reunites and Ted Cruz is Livid”

Other posters have told you that there is biased coverage by the mainstream media. Your insistence that it is not newsworthy just doesn’t hold water.

You are missing the point on the sinking boats. Why did you post the article? Is it because you are a moderate or a liberal? Would you have posted an article about sinking Biden boats or BLM boats? Despite your insistence that you are moderate, your history of posting on these subjects tells a much different story.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14279
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:51 am
You spent a lot of time lecturing on the merits of what is newsworthy. Amazing how riots and damage in Portland do not justify coverage but an event like this does? I am guessing your “moderate” viewpoint has a lot to do with being a newsworthy event.
You have to be intentionally not reading what I said to make this comparison. I stated numerous times that events (even wars) lose the attention they get from the media over time. Look at any long running event and you’ll see a similar reaction from the media. Especially when the details from day to day are similar. Unless something significant happens like a bomb blows up part of a building or a big fire burns down city hall, it doesn’t get much attention. If you can find an event that got consistently significant media coverage, please point it out.

I don’t think anyone has ever seen a boat rally where a bunch of boats sink. Have you? If so, please post it and I’ll be embarrassed for being out of the loop. If it continues to happen every day, then it’ll become dull fast. It’ll become dull by the second or third time actually. If you google it you’ll see a lot of clips from a lot of different sources that aired it or put it in print. Are you upset at each one of those local Texas news outlets for giving air time or print space to this story? I haven’t seen you complain about all the coverage this received. You’d think if it wasn’t newsworthy that not all of the local media outlets would’ve run it. It was in Texas, so I doubt that all of them were left wing and just showing it to make the right look bad.
I completely understand your rationale on not being newsworthy anymore. Our discussion has been specific about the protests, riots and violence in major urban areas, particularly in Portland. Your argument that it is no longer newsworthy is only because you are a liberal and it does not meet your agenda. There has been coverage virtually every single day on Fox News and Fox - both locally and nationally. CNN and other mainstream media have chosen to not cover the events - such as the beating of an innocent person assisting a transgender woman. Front page of Fox News today featured 5 articles on countrywide violence including this main article as the headline:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... run-cities

CNN has nothing on countrywide violence, but it does have these gems:

“Gender Reveal Sparks Major Fire”
“Fox News Contradicts Trump Comments”
“The Princess Bride” Reunites and Ted Cruz is Livid”

Other posters have told you that there is biased coverage by the mainstream media. Your insistence that it is not newsworthy just doesn’t hold water.

You are missing the point on the sinking boats. Why did you post the article? Is it because you are a moderate or a liberal? Would you have posted an article about sinking Biden boats or BLM boats? Despite your insistence that you are moderate, your history of posting on these subjects tells a much different story.
I think you're taking me saying something is newsworthy as if it is some kind of compliment. That's not the intention. Something becomes newsworthy, in part, because the editors et al deem it as such. In some cases newsworthy just means viral.

CNN isn't the only outlet not giving it much time. Most local newspapers throughout the nation aren't either. Nor are very many major news outlets. Fox News isn't a good cross section of media nationally. The man getting beaten was a more prominent story, but it didn't have a lot of staying power. Sometimes those kinds of stories get more national attention, but most times they don't. A lot of people get beat up and killed for no reason in America. It's very sad, but there isn't enough resources to cover them all.

What happens a lot is a story like that does go viral, but that doesn't make it all that unique. Something like when a person is being taken off a life support system and the whole nation gets wound up about it as if it's the only time it's ever happened, but the reality is that it happens all the time, but this time something happened to make it go viral and therefore it became newsworthy.

Again, I'm not liberal and I don't have an agenda. I'm at the point where I just think you're saying that to be antagonizing. I'm just trying to explain that what's news to me and you isn't always news to the powers-that-be. I've given news tips to editors of papers in Montana and they've done nothing with them. The recent incident in Malta, which I personally verified with several sources, didn't even illicit a reply. Is that because the media in Montana is right-leaning? I don't think that's the reason, despite my feeling that Montana media is slightly right of center.

You blaming my explanation on me being liberal is like me saying that the only reason you're interested in what's happening in Portland is for political reasons. You think that the riots make liberals look bad, so you want everyone to hear and see it daily. Fox certainly sees it that way, but they're giving their viewers what they want. As they should. I don't have a problem with it at all. It's what they do and how they make money. Most people understand that or at least accept it. Plenty of people criticize Fox News, but that doesn't dissuade them from sticking to what they do. It's a business.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by Rich K » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am

Makes me want to run out and put a BLM sign on my lawn.


Image

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5543
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Makes me want to run out and put a BLM sign on my lawn.
Nice of you to share this. However, why aren't you sharing the photos of the protesters being run over by a car in Rochester, NY the same day?



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by Cataholic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Makes me want to run out and put a BLM sign on my lawn.
Nice of you to share this. However, why aren't you sharing the photos of the protesters being run over by a car in Rochester, NY the same day?
Why does he need to post something on Rochester? Do you somehow think the actions in this video are okay? How did it help their cause?



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5543
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Makes me want to run out and put a BLM sign on my lawn.
Nice of you to share this. However, why aren't you sharing the photos of the protesters being run over by a car in Rochester, NY the same day?
Why does he need to post something on Rochester? Do you somehow think the actions in this video are okay? How did it help their cause?
:lol:
Why does he need to post this? Do you think what happened in Rochester is okay? Does running people over help their cause?

I can play this game too.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by Cataholic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:51 am
You spent a lot of time lecturing on the merits of what is newsworthy. Amazing how riots and damage in Portland do not justify coverage but an event like this does? I am guessing your “moderate” viewpoint has a lot to do with being a newsworthy event.
You have to be intentionally not reading what I said to make this comparison. I stated numerous times that events (even wars) lose the attention they get from the media over time. Look at any long running event and you’ll see a similar reaction from the media. Especially when the details from day to day are similar. Unless something significant happens like a bomb blows up part of a building or a big fire burns down city hall, it doesn’t get much attention. If you can find an event that got consistently significant media coverage, please point it out.

I don’t think anyone has ever seen a boat rally where a bunch of boats sink. Have you? If so, please post it and I’ll be embarrassed for being out of the loop. If it continues to happen every day, then it’ll become dull fast. It’ll become dull by the second or third time actually. If you google it you’ll see a lot of clips from a lot of different sources that aired it or put it in print. Are you upset at each one of those local Texas news outlets for giving air time or print space to this story? I haven’t seen you complain about all the coverage this received. You’d think if it wasn’t newsworthy that not all of the local media outlets would’ve run it. It was in Texas, so I doubt that all of them were left wing and just showing it to make the right look bad.
I completely understand your rationale on not being newsworthy anymore. Our discussion has been specific about the protests, riots and violence in major urban areas, particularly in Portland. Your argument that it is no longer newsworthy is only because you are a liberal and it does not meet your agenda. There has been coverage virtually every single day on Fox News and Fox - both locally and nationally. CNN and other mainstream media have chosen to not cover the events - such as the beating of an innocent person assisting a transgender woman. Front page of Fox News today featured 5 articles on countrywide violence including this main article as the headline:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... run-cities

CNN has nothing on countrywide violence, but it does have these gems:

“Gender Reveal Sparks Major Fire”
“Fox News Contradicts Trump Comments”
“The Princess Bride” Reunites and Ted Cruz is Livid”

Other posters have told you that there is biased coverage by the mainstream media. Your insistence that it is not newsworthy just doesn’t hold water.

You are missing the point on the sinking boats. Why did you post the article? Is it because you are a moderate or a liberal? Would you have posted an article about sinking Biden boats or BLM boats? Despite your insistence that you are moderate, your history of posting on these subjects tells a much different story.
I think you're taking me saying something is newsworthy as if it is some kind of compliment. That's not the intention. Something becomes newsworthy, in part, because the editors et al deem it as such. In some cases newsworthy just means viral.

CNN isn't the only outlet not giving it much time. Most local newspapers throughout the nation aren't either. Nor are very many major news outlets. Fox News isn't a good cross section of media nationally. The man getting beaten was a more prominent story, but it didn't have a lot of staying power. Sometimes those kinds of stories get more national attention, but most times they don't. A lot of people get beat up and killed for no reason in America. It's very sad, but there isn't enough resources to cover them all.

What happens a lot is a story like that does go viral, but that doesn't make it all that unique. Something like when a person is being taken off a life support system and the whole nation gets wound up about it as if it's the only time it's ever happened, but the reality is that it happens all the time, but this time something happened to make it go viral and therefore it became newsworthy.

Again, I'm not liberal and I don't have an agenda. I'm at the point where I just think you're saying that to be antagonizing. I'm just trying to explain that what's news to me and you isn't always news to the powers-that-be. I've given news tips to editors of papers in Montana and they've done nothing with them. The recent incident in Malta, which I personally verified with several sources, didn't even illicit a reply. Is that because the media in Montana is right-leaning? I don't think that's the reason, despite my feeling that Montana media is slightly right of center.

You blaming my explanation on me being liberal is like me saying that the only reason you're interested in what's happening in Portland is for political reasons. You think that the riots make liberals look bad, so you want everyone to hear and see it daily. Fox certainly sees it that way, but they're giving their viewers what they want. As they should. I don't have a problem with it at all. It's what they do and how they make money. Most people understand that or at least accept it. Plenty of people criticize Fox News, but that doesn't dissuade them from sticking to what they do. It's a business.
I appreciate your explanation, but isn't it possible that the riots in urban cities are not getting coverage because the network may be too far left, liberal and have an interest in seeing Biden win? I have showed you multiple examples of the bias. If the network has a bias, they are not going to put out articles that hurt their agenda. Today, Trump signed an order that extends the ban of offshore drilling off of Florida. This showed be viewed as a positive Trump move with the liberal left environmental group. Amazingly, CNN has 100 plus stories on their front page and NONE OF THEM are about this story. Instead, here are all fifteen "Trump related stories" on the front page on CNN and not one of them could be considered positive:
Trump distressed over Atlantic story fallout
Retired general sends scathing message to Trump: You're no patriot
Analysis: 37 absurd lines from Trump's 'news conference'
Watch tape of Trump's attacks on military
Analysis: Don't believe Donald Trump's pledges to pay for his 2020 campaign
McConnell sets stage for stimulus showdown
Trump tells reporter to take mask off during briefing
'False!' Keilar calls out Trump on his lies from past 24 hours
Why Trump photo infuriated military widow
Opinion: The three writers who could cost Trump the election
Two anniversaries Trump is dishonoring
Trump is parroting the Kremlin line on Navalny
Is Trump-Biden like 1992 -- or 1948?
Michael Cohen book: Trump hired 'Faux-Bama'
Wake of other boats in a pro-Trump parade caused boats to sink, sheriff's office says
If you cannot see the bias, it is because you don't want to. Your political perspective has you in denial.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by Cataholic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:50 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Makes me want to run out and put a BLM sign on my lawn.
Nice of you to share this. However, why aren't you sharing the photos of the protesters being run over by a car in Rochester, NY the same day?
Why does he need to post something on Rochester? Do you somehow think the actions in this video are okay? How did it help their cause?
:lol:
Why does he need to post this? Do you think what happened in Rochester is okay? Does running people over help their cause?

I can play this game too.
Not trying to play any game. I am genuinely interested why you think he has to post something that happened in Rochester? I thought what happened in the video was disturbing and unfortunately happening in many of our larger cities. Is what happened in the McDonald's above okay? Do you approve of how they are protesting? What if this was your business?



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6295
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:51 am
You spent a lot of time lecturing on the merits of what is newsworthy. Amazing how riots and damage in Portland do not justify coverage but an event like this does? I am guessing your “moderate” viewpoint has a lot to do with being a newsworthy event.
You have to be intentionally not reading what I said to make this comparison. I stated numerous times that events (even wars) lose the attention they get from the media over time. Look at any long running event and you’ll see a similar reaction from the media. Especially when the details from day to day are similar. Unless something significant happens like a bomb blows up part of a building or a big fire burns down city hall, it doesn’t get much attention. If you can find an event that got consistently significant media coverage, please point it out.

I don’t think anyone has ever seen a boat rally where a bunch of boats sink. Have you? If so, please post it and I’ll be embarrassed for being out of the loop. If it continues to happen every day, then it’ll become dull fast. It’ll become dull by the second or third time actually. If you google it you’ll see a lot of clips from a lot of different sources that aired it or put it in print. Are you upset at each one of those local Texas news outlets for giving air time or print space to this story? I haven’t seen you complain about all the coverage this received. You’d think if it wasn’t newsworthy that not all of the local media outlets would’ve run it. It was in Texas, so I doubt that all of them were left wing and just showing it to make the right look bad.
I completely understand your rationale on not being newsworthy anymore. Our discussion has been specific about the protests, riots and violence in major urban areas, particularly in Portland. Your argument that it is no longer newsworthy is only because you are a liberal and it does not meet your agenda. There has been coverage virtually every single day on Fox News and Fox - both locally and nationally. CNN and other mainstream media have chosen to not cover the events - such as the beating of an innocent person assisting a transgender woman. Front page of Fox News today featured 5 articles on countrywide violence including this main article as the headline:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... run-cities

CNN has nothing on countrywide violence, but it does have these gems:

“Gender Reveal Sparks Major Fire”
“Fox News Contradicts Trump Comments”
“The Princess Bride” Reunites and Ted Cruz is Livid”

Other posters have told you that there is biased coverage by the mainstream media. Your insistence that it is not newsworthy just doesn’t hold water.

You are missing the point on the sinking boats. Why did you post the article? Is it because you are a moderate or a liberal? Would you have posted an article about sinking Biden boats or BLM boats? Despite your insistence that you are moderate, your history of posting on these subjects tells a much different story.
I think you're taking me saying something is newsworthy as if it is some kind of compliment. That's not the intention. Something becomes newsworthy, in part, because the editors et al deem it as such. In some cases newsworthy just means viral.

CNN isn't the only outlet not giving it much time. Most local newspapers throughout the nation aren't either. Nor are very many major news outlets. Fox News isn't a good cross section of media nationally. The man getting beaten was a more prominent story, but it didn't have a lot of staying power. Sometimes those kinds of stories get more national attention, but most times they don't. A lot of people get beat up and killed for no reason in America. It's very sad, but there isn't enough resources to cover them all.

What happens a lot is a story like that does go viral, but that doesn't make it all that unique. Something like when a person is being taken off a life support system and the whole nation gets wound up about it as if it's the only time it's ever happened, but the reality is that it happens all the time, but this time something happened to make it go viral and therefore it became newsworthy.

Again, I'm not liberal and I don't have an agenda. I'm at the point where I just think you're saying that to be antagonizing. I'm just trying to explain that what's news to me and you isn't always news to the powers-that-be. I've given news tips to editors of papers in Montana and they've done nothing with them. The recent incident in Malta, which I personally verified with several sources, didn't even illicit a reply. Is that because the media in Montana is right-leaning? I don't think that's the reason, despite my feeling that Montana media is slightly right of center.

You blaming my explanation on me being liberal is like me saying that the only reason you're interested in what's happening in Portland is for political reasons. You think that the riots make liberals look bad, so you want everyone to hear and see it daily. Fox certainly sees it that way, but they're giving their viewers what they want. As they should. I don't have a problem with it at all. It's what they do and how they make money. Most people understand that or at least accept it. Plenty of people criticize Fox News, but that doesn't dissuade them from sticking to what they do. It's a business.
I appreciate your explanation, but isn't it possible that the riots in urban cities are not getting coverage because the network may be too far left, liberal and have an interest in seeing Biden win? I have showed you multiple examples of the bias. If the network has a bias, they are not going to put out articles that hurt their agenda. Today, Trump signed an order that extends the ban of offshore drilling off of Florida. This showed be viewed as a positive Trump move with the liberal left environmental group. Amazingly, CNN has 100 plus stories on their front page and NONE OF THEM are about this story. Instead, here are all fifteen "Trump related stories" on the front page on CNN and not one of them could be considered positive:
Trump distressed over Atlantic story fallout
Retired general sends scathing message to Trump: You're no patriot
Analysis: 37 absurd lines from Trump's 'news conference'
Watch tape of Trump's attacks on military
Analysis: Don't believe Donald Trump's pledges to pay for his 2020 campaign
McConnell sets stage for stimulus showdown
Trump tells reporter to take mask off during briefing
'False!' Keilar calls out Trump on his lies from past 24 hours
Why Trump photo infuriated military widow
Opinion: The three writers who could cost Trump the election
Two anniversaries Trump is dishonoring
Trump is parroting the Kremlin line on Navalny
Is Trump-Biden like 1992 -- or 1948?
Michael Cohen book: Trump hired 'Faux-Bama'
Wake of other boats in a pro-Trump parade caused boats to sink, sheriff's office says
If you cannot see the bias, it is because you don't want to. Your political perspective has you in denial.
Is this even debatable any more? Does anyone actually think the powers that be at CNN don't have a serious agenda to do anything they can to see Trump lose the election? Seriously?


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10232
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Speaking of has this ever happened....

Has the US Justice Dept ever intervened on behalf of the President in a rape case? Why not just give a dna sample a quick interview and be done with it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5543
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:50 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Makes me want to run out and put a BLM sign on my lawn.
Nice of you to share this. However, why aren't you sharing the photos of the protesters being run over by a car in Rochester, NY the same day?
Why does he need to post something on Rochester? Do you somehow think the actions in this video are okay? How did it help their cause?
:lol:
Why does he need to post this? Do you think what happened in Rochester is okay? Does running people over help their cause?

I can play this game too.
Not trying to play any game. I am genuinely interested why you think he has to post something that happened in Rochester? I thought what happened in the video was disturbing and unfortunately happening in many of our larger cities. Is what happened in the McDonald's above okay? Do you approve of how they are protesting? What if this was your business?
He doesn’t have to. I’m asking him why he didn’t. How did you conclude that I was saying he has to? That’s disturbing and reminds of what Trump and right wing media does. You say something and then they twist it around. There’s no point trying to discuss anything with you anymore. It’s too much work keeping you on track.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5543
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:48 pm
Speaking of has this ever happened....

Has the US Justice Dept ever intervened on behalf of the President in a rape case? Why not just give a dna sample a quick interview and be done with it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
No. Like many things in this presidency it’s a first. Trump knows he’s toast in this case. He won’t provide DNA. This is the only way he can get away with it. The federal government can’t be sued for defamation.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:08 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:50 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Makes me want to run out and put a BLM sign on my lawn.
Nice of you to share this. However, why aren't you sharing the photos of the protesters being run over by a car in Rochester, NY the same day?
Why does he need to post something on Rochester? Do you somehow think the actions in this video are okay? How did it help their cause?
:lol:
Why does he need to post this? Do you think what happened in Rochester is okay? Does running people over help their cause?

I can play this game too.
Not trying to play any game. I am genuinely interested why you think he has to post something that happened in Rochester? I thought what happened in the video was disturbing and unfortunately happening in many of our larger cities. Is what happened in the McDonald's above okay? Do you approve of how they are protesting? What if this was your business?
He doesn’t have to. I’m asking him why he didn’t. How did you conclude that I was saying he has to? That’s disturbing and reminds of what Trump and right wing media does. You say something and then they twist it around. There’s no point trying to discuss anything with you anymore. It’s too much work keeping you on track.
LOL! Gotcha!!! Sorry I can’t follow your advanced level of discussion. But for the record, do you support the acts in the McDonalds above? Is that effective in their protesting? Sorry if my question is a little below your high level of mental acuity



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5543
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Has this ever happened before?

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:08 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:50 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Makes me want to run out and put a BLM sign on my lawn.
Nice of you to share this. However, why aren't you sharing the photos of the protesters being run over by a car in Rochester, NY the same day?
Why does he need to post something on Rochester? Do you somehow think the actions in this video are okay? How did it help their cause?
:lol:
Why does he need to post this? Do you think what happened in Rochester is okay? Does running people over help their cause?

I can play this game too.
Not trying to play any game. I am genuinely interested why you think he has to post something that happened in Rochester? I thought what happened in the video was disturbing and unfortunately happening in many of our larger cities. Is what happened in the McDonald's above okay? Do you approve of how they are protesting? What if this was your business?
He doesn’t have to. I’m asking him why he didn’t. How did you conclude that I was saying he has to? That’s disturbing and reminds of what Trump and right wing media does. You say something and then they twist it around. There’s no point trying to discuss anything with you anymore. It’s too much work keeping you on track.
LOL! Gotcha!!! Sorry I can’t follow your advanced level of discussion. But for the record, do you support the acts in the McDonalds above? Is that effective in their protesting? Sorry if my question is a little below your high level of mental acuity
Those are incredibly insulting questions. I’ve said long ago any crime should be punished. It appears they committed assault.

Even if these people aren’t committing a crime what they’re doing seems unjustified. I suppose if the McDonalds manager had done something to prompt them there could be a logical explanation. It appears random and unjustified, so on its face I don’t like. I think that’s the only conclusion anyone that puts any thought into can come to, hence why your questions are insulting and complete f’n BS! Go away. It’s too much work having to explain utterly simple and normal thought processes.



Post Reply