Masks in Montana

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Masks in Montana

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:28 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:54 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:49 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:55 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm
They were talking about mask wearing in Montana this morning on the radio. Well, actually the perception of mask wearing. And It was pretty interesting. I think I have seen the same thing on this very board.

Basically, those of us that are so supportive of masks being the number one factor in fighting Covid view it differently than those of us that wear masks because we have to but think there are many other factors just as important. The first group looks around and feels like SO many people are not wearing them. Anyone not wearing a mask kind of jumps out at them because they disagree with them so much.

On the flip side, a guy like me who wears masks because I have to, I look around and feel like every single person around me is masked up. Non-mask wearers seem to be like 1 in a 100 to me.

It's just interesting how two people can be in the exact same location and see things so differently.

The passion in regards to masks is still fascinating to me all these months later
I don't think masks are the No.1 factor, are they?. I think distancing is first, and washing hands is second, but I could be wrong on that. I guess there are those that think masks are No.1, if that's what you're saying. Everything helps and we need to stay with or it can start to increase.
I'm talking about the perception. Masks are THEE hot button issue. It's all anyone talks about. I have seen fights in stores stemming from masks. Go read any of the comments in articles about cases rising. Immediately there were be tons of them saying the only reason cases are up is because of masks. Everything from signs outside of businesses, talk on the radio, articles in papers, and stories in the media all regard masks. I'm just not seeing the same social impact as things like hand washing, gas pumps without gloves, bars and restaurants without masks, traveling etc.

That was my only point
I see, thanks. I'm a little dense, but I get what you're saying. Yes, masks are the iconic symbol with Covid-19. They are the most visible. Perhaps if everyone carried Eric Cartman's "six-feet stick" around, then distancing would take the masks place.
Totally. The visibility of it, or lack thereof, is why masks are the talking point.

A guy could wash his hands 5 times in the morning, leave his house for the first time in weeks, wear gloves at the gas pump and discard them immediately, stay 10 feet away from everyone he encountered, but forgot his mask in his car and people will scream at him for being selfish and spreading the virus.

Meanwhile Joe Schmoe can take a ****** in the local watering hole, never wash his hands, sneeze into them a few times for good measure, go shopping and touch everything in sight, meet a group of nine buddies and all sit together watching the same and enjoying some cold ones, put his mask on before going into the store and he's a selfless hero.

It's fascinating to watch but sometimes I'm a bit surprised at how much masks have taken over the narrative. But it won't change anytime soon so we'll keep rolling with the punches like everything else Covid.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Masks in Montana

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Probably far more ignored than masks. Young white guys are screwing us!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cdc-white-me ... 35601.html