Masks in Montana

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Masks in Montana

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:49 pm

It's been roughly 2 weeks (I think?) since Governor Bullock announced the mandatory mask order for indoor facilities and anytime social distancing cannot be accomplished.

Has the case numbers started a downward trend in Montana? I was thinking it would take 15 or more days to actually see if the policy was working.

Does anyone have any data from which we can start to draw conclusions?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Masks in Montana

Post by wapiti » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:09 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:49 pm
It's been roughly 2 weeks (I think?) since Governor Bullock announced the mandatory mask order for indoor facilities and anytime social distancing cannot be accomplished.

Has the case numbers started a downward trend in Montana? I was thinking it would take 15 or more days to actually see if the policy was working.

Does anyone have any data from which we can start to draw conclusions?
It was already mentioned the day Bullock ordered masks is the same day it was announced that number of people being to be tested is going to drop. So yes there will likely be fewer positives, but not because of the mask order, but due to fewer tests being done.
If positives stay the same or go up then masks caused the virus to spread worse.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm interested in the science. Masks are supposed to have a massive impact (paired with our other restrictions including social distancing) on the amount of new cases.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:22 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:00 pm
I'm interested in the science. Masks are supposed to have a massive impact (paired with our other restrictions including social distancing) on the amount of new cases.
I'm interested in this as well.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:45 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:22 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
August 11 - 174 cases
August 12 - 142
Aug. 13 - 132
14 - 120
15 - 92
16 - 43
17 - 57
18 - ??

I'm not saying this proves it's working, but cases are trending downward. Could be due to a multitude of things.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:15 am

Iaa, was the mask order put into effect on the 11th? I can't remember, I was thinking somewhere towards the first week(ish) of August.

I found this on google, overall the cases seem to be coming down from a high point in July.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... u-H8uQAAAA

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:31 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:15 am
Iaa, was the mask order put into effect on the 11th? I can't remember, I was thinking somewhere towards the first week(ish) of August.

I found this on google, overall the cases seem to be coming down from a high point in July.

I'd like to see stats of some kind to show how many people refused to wear masks before the order and only complied after. Did we really see a huge increase in mask wearing? Not sure how we could find this info other than a large survey of some kind.

I'd also be fascinated to know how many people are complying with CDC guidelines in regards to masks. I'd bet very few are because the guidelines are stringent. And based on some of the disgusting, dirty, sweaty soiled masks I have seen around town, it's clear some people don't really know how they're supposed to work... :sick:

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:11 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:45 am
wbtfg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
August 11 - 174 cases
August 12 - 142
Aug. 13 - 132
14 - 120
15 - 92
16 - 43
17 - 57
18 - ??

I'm not saying this proves it's working, but cases are trending downward. Could be due to a multitude of things.
I noticed this week that Mon/Tues were both under 1,000 test performed. There were days a few weeks ago in the 3,000+ range. So it's probably a combination of masks, people being a bit more cautious again, and fewer tests.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:21 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:

I don't know. I just saw the graph take a big dip beginning the 11th, so I started there to intentionally skew the data in Bullock's favor. :wink:

Of course if it continues to go down it's because there's "no testing, no cases" or it doesn't really matter because people didn't start wearing masks due to the mandate. :sick: If it goes away completely, it's just taking it's natural course and has nothing to do with any preventive measures. It'll just have disappeared.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:07 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:21 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:

I don't know. I just saw the graph take a big dip beginning the 11th, so I started there to intentionally skew the data in Bullock's favor. :wink:

Of course if it continues to go down it's because there's "no testing, no cases" or it doesn't really matter because people didn't start wearing masks due to the mandate. :sick: If it goes away completely, it's just taking it's natural course and has nothing to do with any preventive measures. It'll just have disappeared.
Haha you picked a terrible start date then. I'd have picked like august 13th lol.

It's not going away completely, I think we will still be dealing with it in Spring unfortunately.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:08 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:31 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:

I'd like to see stats of some kind to show how many people refused to wear masks before the order and only complied after. Did we really see a huge increase in mask wearing? Not sure how we could find this info other than a large survey of some kind.

I'd also be fascinated to know how many people are complying with CDC guidelines in regards to masks. I'd bet very few are because the guidelines are stringent. And based on some of the disgusting, dirty, sweaty soiled masks I have seen around town, it's clear some people don't really know how they're supposed to work... :sick:
I know I had to start wearing one for work after the mandate, along with our staff. I think the number is significantly higher than you'd think.

Gross, I've seen those masks too. :sick:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:15 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:07 am
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Haha you picked a terrible start date then. I'd have picked like august 13th lol.

It's not going away completely, I think we will still be dealing with it in Spring unfortunately.
Schools are opening up, so that's a big test. I sat in on an orientation conference call between parents/students and administrators yesterday. I was impressed with how seriously the admins are taking this. The bottom line is "we're all in this together' for it to work. But they have a what sounds like a very good plan in place. One that I think all Montana schools are using. Only time will tell how effective it is.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:15 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Schools are opening up, so that's a big test. I sat in on an orientation conference call between parents/students and administrators yesterday. I was impressed with how seriously the admins are taking this. The bottom line is "we're all in this together' for it to work. But they have a what sounds like a very good plan in place. One that I think all Montana schools are using. Only time will tell how effective it is.
I haven't looked, when I was at MSU there were still those huge chemistry etc. classes that had like 200 kids in them. Do they have a plan for those?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:22 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:24 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 am
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

I haven't looked, when I was at MSU there were still those huge chemistry etc. classes that had like 200 kids in them. Do they have a plan for those?
Sorry, Idk, this was a high school orientation.

coachouert

Post by coachouert » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:25 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 am
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

They are blending courses, especially bigger ones where students are split into groups: some in class, some online and then flip. Most smaller classes are still in person in larger rooms. I teach a class of 17 this semester, all 17 are in the room that normally has a capacity of around 45. I also teach a larger class with 75. We are in a room that typically holds 100+, but due to social distancing, I can have up to roughly 40 in the class at a time so I split them and will have one group in class and the other online before flipping them the next week.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:26 am

iaafan wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
August 11 - 174 cases
August 12 - 142
Aug. 13 - 132
14 - 120
15 - 92
16 - 43
17 - 57
18 - 111

Welp, up to 111 today, but that's down 63 from the say day last week.

coachouert

Post by coachouert » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:27 am

This also breaks down what MSU is doing class wise: https://www.montana.edu/health/coronavi ... oc42453421

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:27 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:27 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:11 am
iaafan wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
August 11 - 174 cases
August 12 - 142
Aug. 13 - 132
14 - 120
15 - 92
16 - 43
17 - 57
18 - ??

I noticed this week that Mon/Tues were both under 1,000 test performed. There were days a few weeks ago in the 3,000+ range. So it's probably a combination of masks, people being a bit more cautious again, and fewer tests.
If that is accurate, testing has decreased to one third and the number of positive tests have decreased to one third. Cutting back on testing was idiotic as we can’t tell whether the lower positive tests actually reflect “less tests” or “wearing masks”.