Is there no bottom?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Is there no bottom?

Post by The Butcher » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:52 pm

I know many Trump supporter turn a blind eye to Trump's obvious disregard for democracy, but now he is opening admitting his actions are to stop voting. Trump has and continues to attack our democracy, and yet 38% of Americans (his base) are okay with it. Disgusting...

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/13/90210999 ... 1QVVlmyUGg

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Is there no bottom?

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:43 pm

So Trump doesn’t want to fund the latest relief package because it doesn’t defund the USPS, and he wants to defund the USPS because he’s worried they will deliver ballots on time?

Do I have that right?

“Now they need that money in order to make the post office work so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots...But if they don’t get those two items that means you can’t have universal mail-in voting...”

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:38 pm

His theory is that a large number of those ballots will be fraudulent. I don’t think it holds water, but it’s what he falls back on for justification.

He just requested a mail in ballot for himself per USA Today.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:45 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:43 pm
So Trump doesn’t want to fund the latest relief package because it doesn’t defund the USPS, and he wants to defund the USPS because he’s worried they will deliver ballots on time?

Do I have that right?

“Now they need that money in order to make the post office work so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots...But if they don’t get those two items that means you can’t have universal mail-in voting...”

Confusion is 45s friend.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:37 pm

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

How often does this have to be discussed? The only reason that Democrats want universal mail in voting is because more democrats might vote. You can’t criticize Trump when your motives for universal mail in voting are the same - TO WIN THE ELECTION.

And don’t give me that Covid exposure concern. If you are worried, get an absentee ballot.

And we have also discussed the lack of validation with universal mail in ballots. There are no identity checks with proper identification or signature identifications. It would be easier than ordering a pizza. You don’t even have to call for a ballot (have to call for a pizza). It is very likely that people no longer at residences will get ballots and anybody can sign them.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:36 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:37 pm

How often does this have to be discussed? The only reason that Democrats want universal mail in voting is because more democrats might vote. You can’t criticize Trump when your motives for universal mail in voting are the same - TO WIN THE ELECTION.

And don’t give me that Covid exposure concern. If you are worried, get an absentee ballot.

And we have also discussed the lack of validation with universal mail in ballots. There are no identity checks with proper identification or signature identifications. It would be easier than ordering a pizza. You don’t even have to call for a ballot (have to call for a pizza). It is very likely that people no longer at residences will get ballots and anybody can sign them.
Yes, Dems want mail in voting because they think it’ll help, Republicans don’t want it cuz they think it will hurt them.

So those two things cancel each other out and we’re left with a decision to either encourage people to vote or not to vote or say nothing.

The more people vote the truer this republic will be. I may have things I like to support, but more than anything I want what the People want. I may not get what I want, but I can live with that and continue to push for what I think is best.

Figuring out ways to influence the vote is as un-American as it gets. This is a reason being a moderate is my choice. I don’t have to be a slime ball and drive around picking people up and taking them to the polls and telling them to check all the Ds, nor do I intimidate or make it difficult for people not checking Rs.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:01 am

Cataholic wrote:
Ummmmmm.... I lived in Wyoming for a decade and you don't need ANY ID to vote. You literally tell them your name and vote. So I guess that means Wyoming's elections could not be validated, and should not have all GOP representation. :roll:

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections ... er-id.aspx

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:55 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:36 am
Cataholic wrote:

Yes, Dems want mail in voting because they think it’ll help, Republicans don’t want it cuz they think it will hurt them.

So those two things cancel each other out and we’re left with a decision to either encourage people to vote or not to vote or say nothing.

The more people vote the truer this republic will be. I may have things I like to support, but more than anything I want what the People want. I may not get what I want, but I can live with that and continue to push for what I think is best.

Figuring out ways to influence the vote is as un-American as it gets. This is a reason being a moderate is my choice. I don’t have to be a slime ball and drive around picking people up and taking them to the polls and telling them to check all the Ds, nor do I intimidate or make it difficult for people not checking Rs.
Please help me understand what is preventing people from voting now? Can’t they get absentee ballots if needed? It seems to me that every single person who wants to vote has that ability right now.

And not trying to be disrespectful, but your position would not be considered moderate on mass mailing ballots.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:11 am

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:01 am
Cataholic wrote:
Ummmmmm.... I lived in Wyoming for a decade and you don't need ANY ID to vote. You literally tell them your name and vote. So I guess that means Wyoming's elections could not be validated, and should not have all GOP representation. :roll:

That is mind boggling. I was not aware of that. After doing a little research, it appears that in substitute of a photo id, a handful of states require a signature that would be compared with a signature on file. Wyoming is basically “show up and vote”, no verification whatsoever at all. If that is not of concern to you, you don’t care about the potential for fraud.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:11 am
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

That is mind boggling. I was not aware of that. After doing a little research, it appears that in substitute of a photo id, a handful of states require a signature that would be compared with a signature on file. Wyoming is basically “show up and vote”, no verification whatsoever at all. If that is not of concern to you, you don’t care about the potential for fraud.
There has been no substantial fraud found in Wyoming or the United States... So I am not worried about that. But I am worried about foreign governments interfering in our elections like Russia did in 2016 and during this coming election in 2020.

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Rich K » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:41 am

https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud

Voter fraud even in low population Wyoming. By the way, every time I have voted in Wyoming I have had to produce a signature or an ID.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:41 am

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:11 am
The Butcher wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

There has been no substantial fraud found in Wyoming or the United States... So I am not worried about that. But I am worried about foreign governments interfering in our elections like Russia did in 2016 and during this coming election in 2020.
What makes you think that mass mailing ballots is not susceptible to fraud by foreign countries? Doesn’t the lack of security and validation (such as Wyoming) invite additional fraud?

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:41 am

What makes you think that mass mailing ballots is not susceptible to fraud by foreign countries? Doesn’t the lack of security and validation (such as Wyoming) invite additional fraud?
Because we have been mailing ballots for over a 100 years and there has been no proof of fraud... Now Trump ignoring/welcoming Russian interference into our elections is real fraud.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:45 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Because we have been mailing ballots for over a 100 years and there has been no proof of fraud... Now Trump ignoring/welcoming Russian interference into our elections is real fraud.
Congrats👏👏👏. You have left me speechless. That makes no sense in regard to the discussion above. None.

Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:13 pm

I guess I’m bemused by the oft heard “No proof of voter fraud has ever been detected.” Well, of course not. If you don’t require ID then what is there to detect. It would be ridiculously easy for me to vote in person in four states in a few hours. I could really leverage my vote! But two of those states require some legitimate ID, so that foils my plan — and good on them for doing so. But I can still vote in CA and NV with no ID. Well, I guess two is better than nothing. And I assume that would be fraud. And undetected. I could take a few of my friends with me. How many votes decided Bush vs. Gore?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:33 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:

If I want to vote I can request a ballot. But I don't care for the idea of every tom, dick and harry receiving a ballot even after they have been dead for a decade...

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:16 am

I love how Trump makes this outlandish claim of voter fraud, has a commission look into fraud, commission finds no fraud, Trump continues to claim fraud via mail, FBI investigates fraud via mail, FBI finds no evidence of mail fraud, Trump says elected officials don't know how to count ballots. I presume the FBI will make election officials count to 100 to prove they can count.

Basically, Trump has convinced his base there is voter fraud with NO EVIDENCE.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:45 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:16 am
I love how Trump makes this outlandish claim of voter fraud, has a commission look into fraud, commission finds no fraud, Trump continues to claim fraud via mail, FBI investigates fraud via mail, FBI finds no evidence of mail fraud, Trump says elected officials don't know how to count ballots. I presume the FBI will make election officials count to 100 to prove they can count.

So I am getting a bit worried about your Trump obsession here, because I care about you as a fellow Bobcat fan! :D You might want to think about taking a few plays off here... I'd hate to see you go into a complete mental breakdown if Trump wins again! #-o

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:01 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:45 am
The Butcher wrote:

So I am getting a bit worried about your Trump obsession here, because I care about you as a fellow Bobcat fan! :D You might want to think about taking a few plays off here... I'd hate to see you go into a complete mental breakdown if Trump wins again! #-o
Just making the simple point Trump is lying to all of us American Bobcat fans. Thought that was note worthy. :wink:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:30 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:01 am
catatac wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:45 am
The Butcher wrote:

Just making the simple point Trump is lying to all of us American Bobcat fans. Thought that was note worthy. :wink:
Wait just a cotton pickin minute here... you mean to tell me a politician is lying? During an election year? :lol: :wink:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!