GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 pm

coachouert wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:20 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 pm
coachouert wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 am
coachouert wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:58 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am
Speaking of hypocrisy, have any of you seen the debacle with Bullock’s wife attending high school volleyball games with more than the allowed two attendees? Taking about the rules don’t apply... and then she claimed that she didn’t know of such a restriction - even after signing a form that spelled out the policy. Wow.
Not to get into it, but should we really bring up rules not applying to people when Daines, Gianforte, Downing and others attended an non-socially distanced rally with VP Pence and not a single person wore a mask and there is a restriction on gatherings over 50? Do they also not know the restrictions?
Absolute fair point. Hypocritical actions occur in both parties. But according to the Butcher and the title of this thread, it is just a Republican fault.
Is that like the thread titled "I have to thank the left for saving us" and how things are the Democrat's fault? ;)

There's hypocrisy and double standards on both sides. I'm over it.
So are you “over” just the scrutiny of the Democrats or the Republicans as well? It seems you only take issue when a Democrat or liberal is being scrutinized.
I could say the same thing for you whenever Trump or anything republican is scrutinized, could I not? :) I will fully acknowledge I’ve called out two of your posts recently and that does show my bias. My last post was mostly in jest, hence the emoji.

When I said I’m over it, I mean I’m over politics in general and have been for a while. I’m over the fact that we even have to have this discussion about Republican vs Democrat. I’m over commercials telling me one candidate is bringing dark money and people from China and the other person is “china’s ambassador.” I’m over scare tactics rather than ideas or actual platforms. I’m over people not thinking for themselves. I’m over politicians continually telling us lies and people believing it or ignoring it. I’m over the two party system. I’m over the constant pissing and moaning on both sides rather than trying to find a solution and positive path forward. That’s what I’m over.
I agree. But what is the solution? Do you sit this election out? Should we let people put out inaccurate info and just turn the other cheek? That is not going to change anything, or help anything.

You might recall when John McCain was running for president that he refused to use his heroism as a war veteran in his campaign. It would have helped him in the polls, but it went against his moral compass. Those days are long gone - and they won’t be coming back anytime soon.

There is not one single candidate this year that I am really enthused about. But unfortunately, I think the Democrats in control will lead to serious economic consequences. One poster brought up that green energy will lead to new high paying jobs. I asked him how green energy will replace the 1,200+ jobs in the Billings area if those refineries are closed. Of course he had no answer. That information is critical and needs to be discussed.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:05 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 pm
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Speaking of hypocrisy, have any of you seen the debacle with Bullock’s wife attending high school volleyball games with more than the allowed two attendees? Taking about the rules don’t apply... and then she claimed that she didn’t know of such a restriction - even after signing a form that spelled out the policy. Wow.
Not to get into it, but should we really bring up rules not applying to people when Daines, Gianforte, Downing and others attended an non-socially distanced rally with VP Pence and not a single person wore a mask and there is a restriction on gatherings over 50? Do they also not know the restrictions?
Absolute fair point. Hypocritical actions occur in both parties. But according to the Butcher and the title of this thread, it is just a Republican fault.
Is that like the thread titled "I have to thank the left for saving us" and how things are the Democrat's fault? ;)

So are you “over” just the scrutiny of the Democrats or the Republicans as well? It seems you only take issue when a Democrat or liberal is being scrutinized.
I could say the same thing for you whenever Trump or anything republican is scrutinized, could I not? :) I will fully acknowledge I’ve called out two of your posts recently and that does show my bias. My last post was mostly in jest, hence the emoji.

When I said I’m over it, I mean I’m over politics in general and have been for a while. I’m over the fact that we even have to have this discussion about Republican vs Democrat. I’m over commercials telling me one candidate is bringing dark money and people from China and the other person is “china’s ambassador.” I’m over scare tactics rather than ideas or actual platforms. I’m over people not thinking for themselves. I’m over politicians continually telling us lies and people believing it or ignoring it. I’m over the two party system. I’m over the constant pissing and moaning on both sides rather than trying to find a solution and positive path forward. That’s what I’m over.
I agree. But what is the solution? Do you sit this election out? Should we let people put out inaccurate info and just turn the other cheek? That is not going to change anything, or help anything.

You might recall when John McCain was running for president that he refused to use his heroism as a war veteran in his campaign. It would have helped him in the polls, but it went against his moral compass. Those days are long gone - and they won’t be coming back anytime soon.

There is not one single candidate this year that I am really enthused about. But unfortunately, I think the Democrats in control will lead to serious economic consequences. One poster brought up that green energy will lead to new high paying jobs. I asked him how green energy will replace the 1,200+ jobs in the Billings area if those refineries are closed. Of course he had no answer. That information is critical and needs to be discussed.
Green energy, if it ever comes to fruition, will almost certainly be controlled by the existing energy companies. As soon as any small green energy company becomes successful it’ll be purchased by Exxon or ConocoPhillips et al. It won’t happen overnight so it isn’t like a bunch of oil workers would get laid off and replaced by windmill workers. That’s how every similar change has gone. Cell phones haven’t completely eliminated land lines yet. AT&T is still around.

There are still lots of politicians and voters around with a moral compass.

I can’t think of any democratic-controlled congress with a democrat president not vetoing it that has led to an economic disaster, but I’m not sure what your definition of one is. The two worst “economic disasters” (Great Depression and Great Recession) in the last century were presided over by republican presidents and their rectifications were presided over by democrat presidents. The economic game plans that led to those are basically still being used by republicans.

Nonetheless this is why a Moderate, middle class third party is needed. There’s nothing to check either party. A moderate party that keeps both the republican and democrat parties from holding more than half the senate or house would be able to countermeasure either side.

You get enough people like coachouert out there and then you might see this country get back to its roots, which was a strong, unified middle class that holds the powerful in check and isn’t exploited by crooks.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:48 am

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:54 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:05 am
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Green energy, if it ever comes to fruition, will almost certainly be controlled by the existing energy companies. As soon as any small green energy company becomes successful it’ll be purchased by Exxon or ConocoPhillips et al. It won’t happen overnight so it isn’t like a bunch of oil workers would get laid off and replaced by windmill workers. That’s how every similar change has gone. Cell phones haven’t completely eliminated land lines yet. AT&T is still around.

I can’t think of any democratic-controlled congress with a democrat president not vetoing it that has led to an economic disaster, but I’m not sure what your definition of one is. The two worst “economic disasters” (Great Depression and Great Recession) in the last century were presided over by republican presidents and their rectifications were presided over by democrat presidents. The economic game plans that led to those are basically still being used by republicans.

Nonetheless this is why a Moderate, middle class third party is needed. There’s nothing to check either party. A moderate party that keeps both the republican and democrat parties from holding more than half the senate or house would be able to countermeasure either side.

You get enough people like coachouert out there and then you might see this country get back to its roots, which was a strong, unified middle class that holds the powerful in check and isn’t exploited by crooks.
I agree with having a third party to keep either party in check. It would be ideal, but each party has become so strong, influential and wealthy, I don’t think it will ever happen. Having the occasional representative vote against party lines may be as close as we can hope for. Just curious, but what party do you consider more moderate today?

While your thoughts on green energy creating similar jobs is admirable, it is simply not the case. The Billings refineries is a great example. Do you know how many employees work at a wind farm? How about a dam or solar farm? Not many. I noticed that you didn’t answer how those Billings jobs will be replaced. Help me with examples.

As for economic disaster, the green new deal alone is expected to cost $93 TRILLION! The US GDP is only $20 trillion. It is estimated to cost $600,000 per household.

If you add in other current liberal policies such as free upper education, free healthcare, increased assistance, more social welfare programs, etc. All of these are worthwhile causes but someone has to pay for them. These are all new expenses that will increase an already bloated government.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:16 am

This is a really great video that CBS news did (non-partisan). It could have gone on one of any number of threads in this forum.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/how ... W?ocid=se2

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:43 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Excellent post Tom. I wholeheartedly agree on the 3rd party "middle class" where most of us fall. I would vote libertarian a whole lot more if I thought it actually would do something. I'm really really tired of having a bad choice and a worse choice in national elections.

I think we should use all of our natural resources combined to prolong the use of fossil fuels.

We should use wind energy, solar energy and mostly we should be using energy generated from building dams across rivers. there was also some really cool technology that was using the ocean current to generate electricity. We should be using ALL of it. If you don't think that's a good idea you don't have the best interests of the world in mind.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

coachouert

Post by coachouert » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:56 am

Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I wish I had a solution, but I don't. I will not sit this election out and as in past years, I will vote for who I think is the better candidate across party lines. Where I am frustrated the most is that inaccurate information is countered with other inaccurate information and eventually turns into people insulting others rather than having a civil discussion. Part of the reason I've responded to you is because I feel like I can have that civil discussion even though we may disagree.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:42 pm

coachouert wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:56 am
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I wish I had a solution, but I don't. I will not sit this election out and as in past years, I will vote for who I think is the better candidate across party lines. Where I am frustrated the most is that inaccurate information is countered with other inaccurate information and eventually turns into people insulting others rather than having a civil discussion. Part of the reason I've responded to you is because I feel like I can have that civil discussion even though we may disagree.
👍👍👍. I am not sure that we share the same political views, but you should comment more in this section. We could use some levity and common sense at times.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Some good points in here Tom, good post. I don't know if who all has watched "Planet of the Humans" by Michael Moore but there are some very interesting things in that show about Green Energy and what is behind it all. Your post reminded me of that.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:10 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Some good points in here Tom, good post. I don't know if who all has watched "Planet of the Humans" by Michael Moore but there are some very interesting things in that show about Green Energy and what is behind it all. Your post reminded me of that.
Haha, very funny!! 🤣

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:54 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I agree with having a third party to keep either party in check. It would be ideal, but each party has become so strong, influential and wealthy, I don’t think it will ever happen. Having the occasional representative vote against party lines may be as close as we can hope for. Just curious, but what party do you consider more moderate today?

While your thoughts on green energy creating similar jobs is admirable, it is simply not the case. The Billings refineries is a great example. Do you know how many employees work at a wind farm? How about a dam or solar farm? Not many. I noticed that you didn’t answer how those Billings jobs will be replaced. Help me with examples.

As for economic disaster, the green new deal alone is expected to cost $93 TRILLION! The US GDP is only $20 trillion. It is estimated to cost $600,000 per household.

If you add in other current liberal policies such as free upper education, free healthcare, increased assistance, more social welfare programs, etc. All of these are worthwhile causes but someone has to pay for them. These are all new expenses that will increase an already bloated government.
You’re underestimating the skilled workers at the Billings refineries. I used to got to work sites and interview similar workers. They’re all like “of course they pay me that well or better. If they didn’t I wouldn’t be here.” If they thought they were going to get axed, they’d find work elsewhere in another industry.

toM StUber

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:47 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:24 pm
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

You’re underestimating the skilled workers at the Billings refineries. I used to got to work sites and interview similar workers. They’re all like “of course they pay me that well or better. If they didn’t I wouldn’t be here.” If they thought they were going to get axed, they’d find work elsewhere in another industry.
In order to find work, you must have available jobs. If you take out 1,200 jobs at the refineries and probably another 500 jobs supported by the refinery (like railroad, fuel distribution, restaurant, etc.), something needs to come along to create new jobs for those displaced workers. And it is not going to be green energy that creates those jobs. The green movement claims that many news jobs will be created to replace the old fossil fuel jobs. Not trying g to be condescending, but it simply is not true. If it is, please show me an example.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:43 pm

Mitch McConnell in 2016: “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

2020: “Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says he intends to allow for a floor vote in the Senate to confirm a new nominee made by President Trump to replace the Supreme Court vacancy left by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.“

Similar 2016 statements can be found from Mr Daines. I assume he will back track as well.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:41 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:43 pm
Mitch McConnell in 2016: “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

2020: “Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says he intends to allow for a floor vote in the Senate to confirm a new nominee made by President Trump to replace the Supreme Court vacancy left by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.“

Similar 2016 statements can be found from Mr Daines. I assume he will back track as well.
Not surprised. And I can assure you that a number of Democrats have a different opinion of filling the vacancy in 2016 to the vacancy in 2020 as well.

Rich K

Post by Rich K » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:59 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:41 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:43 pm

Not surprised. And I can assure you that a number of Democrats have a different opinion of filling the vacancy in 2016 to the vacancy in 2020 as well.
We should at least wait until after the dems have the campaign event at her memorial service

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:50 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:47 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:24 pm
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coachouert wrote:

In order to find work, you must have available jobs. If you take out 1,200 jobs at the refineries and probably another 500 jobs supported by the refinery (like railroad, fuel distribution, restaurant, etc.), something needs to come along to create new jobs for those displaced workers. And it is not going to be green energy that creates those jobs. The green movement claims that many news jobs will be created to replace the old fossil fuel jobs. Not trying g to be condescending, but it simply is not true. If it is, please show me an example.
On the surface, yes, that’s how it looks and there was a time I thought that as well, but oil company research and development is a whole different ballgame. It’s going on as we speak.

Oil companies, like all large conglomerates, are way too business savvy to end up broke. Along with that the people who work for them are also sharp enough to work with or around any industry changes. Same goes for college and high school students. They read the market trends and adapt accordingly.

Ultimately there’s no stopping green energy. At some point the energy sources we’re currently using are either going to become too harsh on our environment or run out. So we can change on our terms or have the resources dictate the terms.

toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 am

I have a feeling this thread is about to explode.

Rich K

Post by Rich K » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:46 am

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:46 am

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:39 am

This is what you get to do when you control the senate. The GOP would be nuts not to get someone in RBG’s seat ASAP.

toM StUber