GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:34 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 am
This is probably the wrong thread, because Ben Sasse is a double-hypocrite. He hid how he felt terribly about Trump, but went ahead and voted for practically everything Trump.
I wonder what caused his epiphany and how authentic it actually is and/or how long it will last.
It kind of sounds like he's felt that way for a very long time and it finally built up enough that he let it out.
There's little doubt there are numerous others still remaining silent.


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10307
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by wbtfg » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Fr. James Martin S.J.




Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:25 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm
Fr. James Martin S.J.

Hypocrite is right. I recall Biden calling Republicans names, making comments about workers at 7 eleven and that he didn’t want his kids to go to an integrated school. Didn’t Obama makes those “cages” on the border?



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4684
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by RickRund » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:25 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm
Fr. James Martin S.J.

Hypocrite is right. I recall Biden calling Republicans names, making comments about workers at 7 eleven and that he didn’t want his kids to go to an integrated school. Didn’t Obama makes those “cages” on the border?
Uhhhhhhhh!!!

YES to all. Politics can be brutal.



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by The Butcher » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am

I do not want to start another thread for this (because that is actually what started the thread), pushing through a Supreme Court Justice 8 days before an election is a slap in the face of our democracy. This is greater than hypocrisy; this is blatant disregard to all Americans who are in the middle of an election.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5717
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:07 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am
I do not want to start another thread for this (because that is actually what started the thread), pushing through a Supreme Court Justice 8 days before an election is a slap in the face of our democracy. This is greater than hypocrisy; this is blatant disregard to all Americans who are in the middle of an election.
It opens a can of worms now, because the Dems are going to add more Justices. Take it to 11 or 13. Then, the Republicans will do something to counter that when they have the votes. Had they let Obama appoint someone, then this wouldn't even be an issue. Now it's an issue in perpetuity. The Republicans win in this case because it makes our government look asinine, which is what they want. When government works, they look bad. Hence Donald Trump, the greatest Republican president of all time.



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:15 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:07 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am
I do not want to start another thread for this (because that is actually what started the thread), pushing through a Supreme Court Justice 8 days before an election is a slap in the face of our democracy. This is greater than hypocrisy; this is blatant disregard to all Americans who are in the middle of an election.
It opens a can of worms now, because the Dems are going to add more Justices. Take it to 11 or 13. Then, the Republicans will do something to counter that when they have the votes. Had they let Obama appoint someone, then this wouldn't even be an issue. Now it's an issue in perpetuity. The Republicans win in this case because it makes our government look asinine, which is what they want. When government works, they look bad. Hence Donald Trump, the greatest Republican president of all time.
What part of the constitution did the Republicans violate?



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5717
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:15 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:07 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am
I do not want to start another thread for this (because that is actually what started the thread), pushing through a Supreme Court Justice 8 days before an election is a slap in the face of our democracy. This is greater than hypocrisy; this is blatant disregard to all Americans who are in the middle of an election.
It opens a can of worms now, because the Dems are going to add more Justices. Take it to 11 or 13. Then, the Republicans will do something to counter that when they have the votes. Had they let Obama appoint someone, then this wouldn't even be an issue. Now it's an issue in perpetuity. The Republicans win in this case because it makes our government look asinine, which is what they want. When government works, they look bad. Hence Donald Trump, the greatest Republican president of all time.
What part of the constitution did the Republicans violate?
Are you implying that I said they did?

To be clear, they didn't violate any part of the constitution. I didn't say they did anywhere in that post, so, as usual, I'm having to address you when I asked that you not bother me, especially with these kinds of strawman questions.

The Democrats won't be violating it either when they appoint more Justices. The point I'm making is that we will be playing this game in perpetuity. Had the Republicans just let Obama appoint a Justice (or had they not appointed Barrett), then no one would be paying much attention to this. Another political thing that distracts from all the real issues around the country.



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:09 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:15 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:07 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am
I do not want to start another thread for this (because that is actually what started the thread), pushing through a Supreme Court Justice 8 days before an election is a slap in the face of our democracy. This is greater than hypocrisy; this is blatant disregard to all Americans who are in the middle of an election.
It opens a can of worms now, because the Dems are going to add more Justices. Take it to 11 or 13. Then, the Republicans will do something to counter that when they have the votes. Had they let Obama appoint someone, then this wouldn't even be an issue. Now it's an issue in perpetuity. The Republicans win in this case because it makes our government look asinine, which is what they want. When government works, they look bad. Hence Donald Trump, the greatest Republican president of all time.
What part of the constitution did the Republicans violate?
Are you implying that I said they did?

To be clear, they didn't violate any part of the constitution. I didn't say they did anywhere in that post, so, as usual, I'm having to address you when I asked that you not bother me, especially with these kinds of strawman questions.

The Democrats won't be violating it either when they appoint more Justices. The point I'm making is that we will be playing this game in perpetuity. Had the Republicans just let Obama appoint a Justice (or had they not appointed Barrett), then no one would be paying much attention to this. Another political thing that distracts from all the real issues around the country.
Just making it clear that the Republicans did not do anything wrong. They followed the standard set over a century ago, both literally and in precedent. By when liberals don’t win, they want to change the rules. First it was the electoral college, then mail in voting, now SCOTUS. Did you realize that it once took 60% of Senate votes to confirm a new federal judge - but Democrat Harry Reid changed it to 50% to get some Democrat nominees approved?

If Dems wanted to have control over the SCOTUS process, then control the House. You are right about another political issue distracting from the real issues in our country. But by blaming Republicans (when Democrats would have done exactly the same) is wrong and just creates the distraction.



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by The Butcher » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:09 pm
Just making it clear that the Republicans did not do anything wrong. They followed the standard set over a century ago, both literally and in precedent. By when liberals don’t win, they want to change the rules. First it was the electoral college, then mail in voting, now SCOTUS. Did you realize that it once took 60% of Senate votes to confirm a new federal judge - but Democrat Harry Reid changed it to 50% to get some Democrat nominees approved?

If Dems wanted to have control over the SCOTUS process, then control the House. You are right about another political issue distracting from the real issues in our country. But by blaming Republicans (when Democrats would have done exactly the same) is wrong and just creates the distraction.
Being a hypocrite and doing something wrong are NOT the same thing. No one has even implied that but you.

I suspect that you would NOT have an issue if Democrats were to add more seats to the Supreme Court, because that is not wrong. Is that an accurate statement?



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5717
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:13 pm

When the facemask was first used in football there wasn't a penalty for face-masking, but most players didn't do it. Ya know, because it just wasn't the right thing to do and they found out quickly that if they did it, then someone would do it back.

(Thought the facemask analogy was good for this period we're all going through. :) )



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:25 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:09 pm
Just making it clear that the Republicans did not do anything wrong. They followed the standard set over a century ago, both literally and in precedent. By when liberals don’t win, they want to change the rules. First it was the electoral college, then mail in voting, now SCOTUS. Did you realize that it once took 60% of Senate votes to confirm a new federal judge - but Democrat Harry Reid changed it to 50% to get some Democrat nominees approved?

If Dems wanted to have control over the SCOTUS process, then control the House. You are right about another political issue distracting from the real issues in our country. But by blaming Republicans (when Democrats would have done exactly the same) is wrong and just creates the distraction.
Being a hypocrite and doing something wrong are NOT the same thing. No one has even implied that but you.

I suspect that you would NOT have an issue if Democrats were to add more seats to the Supreme Court, because that is not wrong. Is that an accurate statement?
The Republicans are not being hypocrites. They did exactly what has been done for well over a century. If the president and Senate are controlled by the same party, they control the nomination and approval process of SCOTUS. If the Democrats controlled both, they could have filled an empty seat.

What I do find problematic though is that Democrats are looking at adding seats to the Supreme Court, which has never been done.

And by the way, Ruth Bader Ginsburg is on record saying that the right number of seats on the Supreme Court is 9.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5717
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:14 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am
I do not want to start another thread for this (because that is actually what started the thread), pushing through a Supreme Court Justice 8 days before an election is a slap in the face of our democracy. This is greater than hypocrisy; this is blatant disregard to all Americans who are in the middle of an election.



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: GOP Hypocrisy Strikes Again

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:27 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am
I do not want to start another thread for this (because that is actually what started the thread), pushing through a Supreme Court Justice 8 days before an election is a slap in the face of our democracy. This is greater than hypocrisy; this is blatant disregard to all Americans who are in the middle of an election.
You know what was a real slap in the face. The statement by Joe Biden that voters did not deserve to know his position on court packing until after the election.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... ehead-idea
Biden said the country would “know my position on court-packing when the election is over.”



Post Reply