I have to thank the left for saving us.

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: I have to thank the left for saving us.

Post by RickRund » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 am

technoCat wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:03 am
Now they are renaming schools that were named after Washington and Jefferson. When does it go too far?
They are not close to being done. The cricket are very busy though with the karl marx statue in seattle.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 am
technoCat wrote:
Now they are renaming schools that were named after Washington and Jefferson. When does it go too far?
They are not close to being done. The cricket are very busy though with the karl marx statue in seattle.
Washington and Jefferson were slave owners. So if that's why they're being changed, then why would we have a problem with it? If someone was renaming those schools because they don't think Washington or Jefferson helped us form the country, that'd be different, but that's not the case. If the state of Washington wants to rename its state because Washington owned slaves, then so be it. There are instances where minorities are OK with leaving names as they are, so why not let them make the determination. Florida State's nickname is the Seminoles and the Seminole Indians of that are proud to have the team named for them. If that's the case, that's OK, too. Every situation is unique and can't be addressed individually.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:19 am

technoCat wrote:

This isn't too far. Good move Minnesota Twins.

technoCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by technoCat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:29 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am
RickRund wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Washington and Jefferson were slave owners. So if that's why they're being changed, then why would we have a problem with it? If someone was renaming those schools because they don't think Washington or Jefferson helped us form the country, that'd be different, but that's not the case. If the state of Washington wants to rename its state because Washington owned slaves, then so be it. There are instances where minorities are OK with leaving names as they are, so why not let them make the determination. Florida State's nickname is the Seminoles and the Seminole Indians of that are proud to have the team named for them. If that's the case, that's OK, too. Every situation is unique and can't be addressed individually.
Yes, I have a problem with that. Washington tried to free his slaves but was restricted by law and HE WAS NOT A KING. He freed as many as he could in his will even though parts of his family were fighting against it. Although for it when he was young, Jefferson spoke out against slavery and advocated for emancipation later in life. He freed some of his slaves as well. They weren't perfect but they helped get the ball rolling and just slapping a label on them as "SLAVE OWNERS" and discrediting their legacy is not doing anyone any favors. We can't just throw away any person that didn't abide by our modern sensibilities, we have to look through the lens of the past.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:38 am

iaafan wrote:
RickRund wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Do you think we should, or would it be reasonable to remove Washington from the dollar bill? Serious question.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:00 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:38 am
iaafan wrote:
RickRund wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Do you think we should, or would it be reasonable to remove Washington from the dollar bill? Serious question.
I could personally care less and would go along with what everyone else wants to do. If blacks and minorities are OK with it, then I'm OK with it. In my opinion it's trite. Like I said re: Florida State.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:06 pm

technoCat wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:29 am
iaafan wrote:
RickRund wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Yes, I have a problem with that. Washington tried to free his slaves but was restricted by law and HE WAS NOT A KING. He freed as many as he could in his will even though parts of his family were fighting against it. Although for it when he was young, Jefferson spoke out against slavery and advocated for emancipation later in life. He freed some of his slaves as well. They weren't perfect but they helped get the ball rolling and just slapping a label on them as "SLAVE OWNERS" and discrediting their legacy is not doing anyone any favors. We can't just throw away any person that didn't abide by our modern sensibilities, we have to look through the lens of the past.
Washington and Jefferson are going to be a part of our history regardless of what they have their names on. I'm not a minority, so I'm not going to say how their good and bad sides balance out. I can only empathize, I'm not living it. I'm sure a lot of minorities see the way you do, but not every where in the country. If blacks and other minorities come out and a majority of them are like, hey wait, George and Tom had some issues, but we still want to honor them for all they did, then that's fine, too.

technoCat

Post by technoCat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:34 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:06 pm
technoCat wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:29 am
iaafan wrote:
RickRund wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Washington and Jefferson are going to be a part of our history regardless of what they have their names on. I'm not a minority, so I'm not going to say how their good and bad sides balance out. I can only empathize, I'm not living it. I'm sure a lot of minorities see the way you do, but not every where in the country. If blacks and other minorities come out and a majority of them are like, hey wait, George and Tom had some issues, but we still want to honor them for all they did, then that's fine, too.
I personally feel that if I wouldn't be ok with it happening to me(where I live) then I shouldn't be ok with it happening somewhere else because then a precedent has been set and its hard to stop the tide. Plus I feel like a lot of these are knee-jerk reactions that if people took some time to mull over might change their minds. Guess we just feel differently about that and will have to get on with our lives regardless... :wink:

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Another name is gone from a favorite snack. STUPIDITY is rampant.

And no I am not ok with removing Washington's name from currency. Just showing that our education system/history has failed...

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 am

And now the video game Fortnight will be removing Police cars due to sensitivity..... Have never seen the game but the last thing the game is worried about is being sensitive. More stupidity from the left.

Teddy Roosevelt being removed. Father Junipero Serra being torn down. U S Grant accused of being a slaveowner. Fact: he was given a slave by his father-in-law but released them. Could have sold them for $30000 in todays dollars but just released them...

What use is an education when true history is not being taught?

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:06 am

The Fortnite thing is incredible. Fortnite is a video game where everyone shoots each other and the last one standing is declared the winner. Yet they are concerned that having the image of a policeman is sending the wrong message?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:39 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 am
And now the video game Fortnight will be removing Police cars due to sensitivity..... Have never seen the game but the last thing the game is worried about is being sensitive. More stupidity from the left.

Teddy Roosevelt being removed. Father Junipero Serra being torn down. U S Grant accused of being a slaveowner. Fact: he was given a slave by his father-in-law but released them. Could have sold them for $30000 in todays dollars but just released them...

The left's current demonization of Police is not going to turn out well, for any of us.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:45 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:39 am
RickRund wrote:

The left's current demonization of Police is not going to turn out well, for any of us.
We all know that chicago is a gun free city, correct? I just can't wait for the Police as we know them to also be banned. I mean, what could go wrong there?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 pm

91catAlum wrote:
RickRund wrote:

That's a pretty broad statement. I don't think the left as a whole is demonizing the police. I'm sure the right will spin it that way, but that's not the case. The main thing the majority of the left is trying to do is get the police out of situations that they aren't trained for and sending in people that are more adept at handling it. There are many incidences where sending in social workers seems like the more appropriate measure. It's worth a look. Will it work all the time? Who knows. I know some policemen and have asked if those are situations that they'd rather stay out of and ALL of them have said yes. They've said that they have a couple guys on their forces that are good at that kind of thing, but they aren't always working or on-call and they don't necessarily like doing that kind of work, so it can get awkward for most of them. They added that those guys don't always arrive first and by then things have gotten screwy.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 pm
91catAlum wrote:
RickRund wrote:

That's a pretty broad statement. I don't think the left as a whole is demonizing the police. I'm sure the right will spin it that way, but that's not the case. The main thing the majority of the left is trying to do is get the police out of situations that they aren't trained for and sending in people that are more adept at handling it. There are many incidences where sending in social workers seems like the more appropriate measure. It's worth a look. Will it work all the time? Who knows. I know some policemen and have asked if those are situations that they'd rather stay out of and ALL of them have said yes. They've said that they have a couple guys on their forces that are good at that kind of thing, but they aren't always working or on-call and they don't necessarily like doing that kind of work, so it can get awkward for most of them. They added that those guys don't always arrive first and by then things have gotten screwy.
Painting the "left" as a one size fits all is the new Trump/GOP strategy. So what is the paint job since 2016? Fear mongering is the one and only strategy.

The left doesn't want police? That is an absolute lie. Hell, Biden said he doesn't support "defund the police". But here we go, fear mongering away...

The real issue behind defund the police is not demonizing law enforcement, but rather how resources are distributed in a community. There are degrees of what people think “defund the police” means, but overall it does mean reallocating funds in communities. A family member of mine works in mental health. They have a master's degree in mental health. They work with the police weekly. The police call their office when it is a mental health crisis. The police want their office to be funded to keep getting support from the staff in mental health related crises. So ensuring the funding to their organization is desired by law enforcement and the community. Unfortunately some communities just place that challenge on the police department, who are often times ill-equipped to handle those situations. So the idea is having that money taken out of one pot and put into other pots to better serve the community and help the police be more effective by focusing their efforts into areas they are properly trained. I believe most people would feel that this approach would be effective and reasonable.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:39 am

TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I'm also in favor of taking a look at certain domestic situations where a counselor might be more appropriate. But those are pretty small in number, and certainly wouldn't help cases like George Floyd which is the whole point of this mess we're in.

You're right, its not the "entire" left that is screaming about about defunding and/or abolishing the police. But its a very very vocal section, and I'd guess its a majority of them although I have nothing to back that up other than its the impression that I get in the media.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 am
TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Painting the "left" as a one size fits all is the new Trump/GOP strategy. So what is the paint job since 2016? Fear mongering is the one and only strategy.

The left doesn't want police? That is an absolute lie. Hell, Biden said he doesn't support "defund the police". But here we go, fear mongering away...
No, its not a lie. There is a significant group of folks on the left who do not want police.
Here's an article for you.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/opin ... olice.html

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:59 am

And as we speak the blm/defund the police are meeting for a little soiree at a park in CDA. The first two times they were here it did not turn out successfully for them. Guess they had to wait until midday when most people are working to do there thing. They WILL NOT be painting blm on our streets.

technoCat

Post by technoCat » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:59 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 am
TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RickRund wrote:

No, its not a lie. There is a significant group of folks on the left who do not want police.
Here's an article for you.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/opin ... olice.html
BLM has flat out stated several times they want all police completely abolished and all black prisoners to be released. Maybe we could believe they don't run the democrats if the house leader wasn't constantly bending the knee to them or trying to get photo ops with them while avoiding going to her actual job...

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:24 pm

Because of Slavery Connotations, Rhode Island May Change Its Official Name

https://t.co/gcE8ziILou

Oh brother...