I have to thank the left for saving us.

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: I have to thank the left for saving us.

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:14 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:03 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:41 pm
How in the world can anybody think this is a good idea? Legalizing certain amounts of cocaine, heroine and meth?

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/oregon ... asure-109/
Decriminalizing isn't the same thing as legalizing. It isn't certain amounts it's small amounts. They're still arrested, it still goes on their record, but they avoid going to trial and jail, which is *probably* good. Time will tell. We spend (probably waste) a lot of money keeping drug users in jail and putting on trials for them. I think the $100 fine is too low, but would rather see them to go to drug rehab than trial and jail. Much more productive way of fixing the problem than putting them in jail, which is just a school for criminals to become even worse criminals.
That is actually a pretty good argument! But if rehabilitation is the issue, why aren’t we fixing that issue? Aren’t we just condoning bad behavior? We are taking about some serious drugs. One time and you can be hooked. I would think that some stronger reasons for deterrence would be more effective.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:20 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:14 pm
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
How in the world can anybody think this is a good idea? Legalizing certain amounts of cocaine, heroine and meth?

Decriminalizing isn't the same thing as legalizing. It isn't certain amounts it's small amounts. They're still arrested, it still goes on their record, but they avoid going to trial and jail, which is *probably* good. Time will tell. We spend (probably waste) a lot of money keeping drug users in jail and putting on trials for them. I think the $100 fine is too low, but would rather see them to go to drug rehab than trial and jail. Much more productive way of fixing the problem than putting them in jail, which is just a school for criminals to become even worse criminals.
That is actually a pretty good argument! But if rehabilitation is the issue, why aren’t we fixing that issue? Aren’t we just condoning bad behavior? We are taking about some serious drugs. One time and you can be hooked. I would think that some stronger reasons for deterrence would be more effective.
You don't have to tell me I made a good argument. Actually? I'm not looking for your approval. I'm going to take another break from responding to you, because as usual it ends up being dumpster fire.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:23 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:49 pm
This seems like another bad move by the left to me. I am open to hearing different opinions.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-diego-sc ... tem-racism
According to the data, Black students accounted for about 20% of all D or F grades during the first semester of last year, while Native American and Hispanic students each accounted for 23%. By comparison, white students made up 7% of all D or F grades during that same period.

Under the district’s new system, non-academic factors like late work and classroom behavior will not be counted toward their overall academic grade.
Instead of actually working to correct the issues of late work and behavior, they are telling students that you won’t be penalized for those transgressions... isn’t that a form of accepting that behavior? Shouldn’t the district be doing more to change that behavior?
It doesn't say anything in the story, but highly doubt that disruptive behavior and late work aren't penalized in some other way. They just aren't having it effect the grade. I'm sure detention is still an option. A lot of schools have a resource period at the end of the day that is optional, but can be forced upon a student who is falling behind or breaking rules.
That is an interesting point. I would like to see if behavior and late work still carries some punishment. I doubt it though. They are removing these two criteria for grades because it is deemed unfair to certain races. Don’t you think that detention will show a similar composition of race and eventually be considered unfair treatment?

My point is that we should address the problem without removing methods of deterrence.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:20 pm
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

You don't have to tell me I made a good argument. Actually? I'm not looking for your approval. I'm going to take another break from responding to you, because as usual it ends up being dumpster fire.
What? I compliment you on a good thought and try to have an intelligent conversation and you are offended? There is something wrong with you...

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:42 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What? I compliment you on a good thought and try to have an intelligent conversation and you are offended? There is something wrong with you...
Look at what you posted, but take out the first sentence. Couldn't you have just easily made your response at "But if rehabilitation is..."? Your post would then be exactly what you've asked others to do.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:56 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:42 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Look at what you posted, but take out the first sentence. Couldn't you have just easily made your response at "But if rehabilitation is..."? Your post would then be exactly what you've asked others to do.
You are crazy. Absolutely nothing wrong with my post. I was actually paying you a compliment in the first sentence.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:47 pm

More lunacy from the left. Portland commissioner who pushed for defund the police, calls 911 to complain about her Lyft ride.

https://www.kgw.com/amp/article/news/lo ... 0ae089f5bf

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:54 pm

I actually voted for Obama, and I find this statement from his new book as reprehensible. In reference to Trump being elected, he states:
For millions of Americans spooked by a Black man in the White House, he promised an elixir for their racial anxiety.”
https://amp.thenewstribune.com/news/loc ... 45979.html

Trump got elected because people were sick and tired of career politicians - specifically Hillary.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:47 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:54 pm
I actually voted for Obama, and I find this statement from his new book as reprehensible. In reference to Trump being elected, he states:
For millions of Americans spooked by a Black man in the White House, he promised an elixir for their racial anxiety.”

Trump got elected because people were sick and tired of career politicians - specifically Hillary.
You find a statement reprehensible even though it's almost certainly true? Of the 60+ million Americans that voted for Trump in 2016, it's not a stretch to think that at least two million considered him an elixir for their racial anxiety caused by a Black man having been president. Two million is millions.

If you held Trump's statements to the same standard as Obama and Biden, you'd be very busy based on the frequency that his reprehensible statements come at us. What you have in Trump is a person so reprehensible that he's repeating the same lies over and over in order to brainwash his followers into thinking the election was rigged and that they need to donate their money to him for the purpose of finding a way to reverse votes. That's not worth pointing out when Obama wrote something, that you took out of context even though it's almost certainly true, in his new book.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:40 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:47 am
Cataholic wrote:

You find a statement reprehensible even though it's almost certainly true? Of the 60+ million Americans that voted for Trump in 2016, it's not a stretch to think that at least two million considered him an elixir for their racial anxiety caused by a Black man having been president. Two million is millions.

If you held Trump's statements to the same standard as Obama and Biden, you'd be very busy based on the frequency that his reprehensible statements come at us. What you have in Trump is a person so reprehensible that he's repeating the same lies over and over in order to brainwash his followers into thinking the election was rigged and that they need to donate their money to him for the purpose of finding a way to reverse votes. That's not worth pointing out when Obama wrote something, that you took out of context even though it's almost certainly true, in his new book.
So you get to comment on my posts, but I can’t post on yours? Got ya!! Didn’t you say practice what you preach?

And last I checked, Trump did not run against Obama in 2016. He ran against an awful presidential candidate in Hilary Clinton. She epitomized the political hack that our country has grown to despise. Trump beat Hilary because she was very flawed, carried lots of baggage and was a lifelong political hack. Not because Obama was black.

I also recall that Obama had two terms. Didn’t he beat an old white guy in his 2012 re-election bid? I guess people weren’t scared of a black guy in the White House when he ran against McCain?

If Obama really wants to make such a claim, he should also preface that he benefitted from millions wanting to have a black man in the White House. I voted for him in 2008 as he signaled a generational shift for our nations culture. And seriously, if his statement was true, would Biden have picked Kamala to be his running mate? Of course not. He picked Kamala because it would help him garner more votes.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:50 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:40 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:47 am
Cataholic wrote:

So you get to comment on my posts, but I can’t post on yours? Got ya!! Didn’t you say practice what you preach?

And last I checked, Trump did not run against Obama in 2016. He ran against an awful presidential candidate in Hilary Clinton. She epitomized the political hack that our country has grown to despise. Trump beat Hilary because she was very flawed, carried lots of baggage and was a lifelong political hack. Not because Obama was black.

I also recall that Obama had two terms. Didn’t he beat an old white guy in his 2012 re-election bid? I guess people weren’t scared of a black guy in the White House when he ran against McCain?

If Obama really wants to make such a claim, he should also preface that he benefitted from millions wanting to have a black man in the White House. I voted for him in 2008 as he signaled a generational shift for our nations culture. And seriously, if his statement was true, would Biden have picked Kamala to be his running mate? Of course not. He picked Kamala because it would help him garner more votes.
You can comment. By practice what you preach I mean don't make personal attacks. That was the statement you made, but have been unable to adhere to now for months.

I never said Trump ran against Obama in 2016. No one said Trump beat Clinton because Obama was Black. No, there were people scared of a Black guy when Obama beat McCain. There are millions of people in this country that won't vote for a Black person.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:52 pm

I came across an article this morning and thought of some posters from yesterday. Vince Vaughn has a casual conversation with Trump at a game and members of the left wanted Vaughn blackballed from Hollywood.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/v ... lash-trump

Democrat Diane Feinstein gives Mitch McConnel a hug following the Coney Barrett hearings and the left attacks her for showing any appreciation toward Republicans.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/521 ... e-left?amp

I know there are crappy people on both sides, but do we see this type of shaming and cancel culture by the right?

Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:52 pm
I came across an article this morning and thought of some posters from yesterday. Vince Vaughn has a casual conversation with Trump at a game and members of the left wanted Vaughn blackballed from Hollywood.

Democrat Diane Feinstein gives Mitch McConnel a hug following the Coney Barrett hearings and the left attacks her for showing any appreciation toward Republicans.

I know there are crappy people on both sides, but do we see this type of shaming and cancel culture by the right?
Of course there are. There are also the type of disgusting actions that happened recently in Minnesota that you can read about below and in the link provided.

"According to the Star Tribune, Republicans in the Minnesota state Senate became aware of a COVID-19 outbreak in their midst this week — but only sent out a warning to Republican members and staffers, leaving their Democratic-Farmer-Labor counterparts in the dark on a serious risk to their health.

“In the memo, Craig Sondag, the Senate Republican chief of staff, declined to reveal the names of the infected, citing a balance between the infected people’s right to privacy and the need of their contacts to know they had been exposed. He instructed all GOP Senate staffers to work from home, including during Thursday’s special session,” said the report. “The memo, the authenticity of which was confirmed to the Star Tribune by Senate spokeswoman Rachel Aplikowski, was first reported by Minnesota Public Radio. MPR also reported that Sen. Paul T. Anderson, R-Plymouth, has tested positive for COVID-19.”

"DFL Senate Minority Leader Susan Kent called the news “outrageous and completely unacceptable,” and DFL Gov. Tim Walz expressed shock at the GOP caucus’ behavior on Twitter Saturday."

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/minnes ... rs-report/

I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:22 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:18 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Of course there are. There are also the type of disgusting actions that happened recently in Minnesota that you can read about below and in the link provided.

"According to the Star Tribune, Republicans in the Minnesota state Senate became aware of a COVID-19 outbreak in their midst this week — but only sent out a warning to Republican members and staffers, leaving their Democratic-Farmer-Labor counterparts in the dark on a serious risk to their health.

“In the memo, Craig Sondag, the Senate Republican chief of staff, declined to reveal the names of the infected, citing a balance between the infected people’s right to privacy and the need of their contacts to know they had been exposed. He instructed all GOP Senate staffers to work from home, including during Thursday’s special session,” said the report. “The memo, the authenticity of which was confirmed to the Star Tribune by Senate spokeswoman Rachel Aplikowski, was first reported by Minnesota Public Radio. MPR also reported that Sen. Paul T. Anderson, R-Plymouth, has tested positive for COVID-19.”

"DFL Senate Minority Leader Susan Kent called the news “outrageous and completely unacceptable,” and DFL Gov. Tim Walz expressed shock at the GOP caucus’ behavior on Twitter Saturday."

I already said there are crappy people on both sides. And your example doesn’t illustrate the “cancel culture” or “shaming” for simply trying to get along with the other side. Vince Vaughn and Feinstein were attacked for simply expressing civility to the Republicans.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:16 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:22 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I already said there are crappy people on both sides. And your example doesn’t illustrate the “cancel culture” or “shaming” for simply trying to get along with the other side. Vince Vaughn and Feinstein were attacked for simply expressing civility to the Republicans.
What are some examples of the right expressing civility to the left? Trump and millions of his followers are shaming Fox News for acknowledging (expressing civility?) Biden won.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:59 am

I guess I’d classify the the right as more of a boycott culture. NFL, NBA, NASCAR, Nike, partners who called out the NRA, Keurig, Starbucks, the list is extensive.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:53 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:59 am
I guess I’d classify the the right as more of a boycott culture. NFL, NBA, NASCAR, Nike, partners who called out the NRA, Keurig, Starbucks, the list is extensive.
Sorry but I am confused by your post. Are you saying that the NFL, NBA, etc are part of the right?

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:02 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:16 am
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What are some examples of the right expressing civility to the left? Trump and millions of his followers are shaming Fox News for acknowledging (expressing civility?) Biden won.
Trump and the Republicans actually put together the Black America Plan which was focused on assisting a large portion of the left. I don’t recall any people on the right boycotting Trump for his efforts. But Feinstein can’t hug McConnel without being called a traitor.

But once again, instead of acknowledging that those actions from the left suck, you try to deflect. Is everything to you just “people on the right are bad”?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:51 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:02 pm
iaafan wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:16 am
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Trump and the Republicans actually put together the Black America Plan which was focused on assisting a large portion of the left. I don’t recall any people on the right boycotting Trump for his efforts. But Feinstein can’t hug McConnel without being called a traitor.

But once again, instead of acknowledging that those actions from the left suck, you try to deflect. Is everything to you just “people on the right are bad”?
Previously in this chain of posts you said:
My response to you asking if we see this type of shaming and cancel culture from the right is to ask first if anyone from the right has expressed civility to the left in the way that Vaughn and Feinstein have. If you could give some examples of that I might be able to respond. I offered one such case, but it doesn't have the response I believe you were looking for.

So, yes, we do see this type of shaming from the right since FOX, graciously, called the election for Biden and was ripped for doing so by Trump and millions of his followers.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:56 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:53 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:59 am
Sorry but I am confused by your post. Are you saying that the NFL, NBA, etc are part of the right?
No- the right has called on boycotts of these organizations. A good example is when Pence went to a Colts game and left immediately when players kneeled during the National Anthem. It was a very obvious political stunt.