Seattle?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Seattle?

Post by Rich K » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:29 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:15 am
Rich K wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 am
Capital Hill Occupied Protest - The idiots couldn't live up to the autonomous part of the last name so a change was in order. Just like the agenda of lefties, keep changing it so that problems are eternal and never solved. That's how government grows, by offering to solve problems that will never be solved. Lather rinse repeat.
Wow!!! Big win for the conservatives right there. "Libs change name from Autonomous to Occupied!!!" Autonomous was a 10-letter word and Occupied only has 8 letters. Expect a red wave in November!
That would definitely help the good people of Seattle. The dumbsh## lefties destroy all they touch.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 am

Yeah, those damn lefties!! :lol:

Rich K

Post by Rich K » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am

The Lincoln Project is run by republicans. Steve Schmidt is republican.

Rich K

Post by Rich K » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:43 am

Seattle, which has been run by democrats for a long long time, must be a crappy place to live if CHAZ or CHOP wants so much to change.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:02 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/new-mexi ... 33416.html

nutty right wing militia at it again.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 pm

How about a vacation trip to the CHOP? Great tourism clip here for all to enjoy:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:22 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:17 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:14 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:10 pm
Anybody have a friend of a friend in Atlanta that wants to explain how peaceful it is there too?
Is that where the unarmed black man was just shot by police after being arrested for sleeping in his car?
Are you justifying this ******?
Asked a simple question. That’s all
No, you are attempting to justify this mayhem.
The moron was not shot because he was sleeping in his car, he was shot because he was resisting arrest. You left that part out.
From what I hear it was PROBABLY a justified use of force.
But there is no justification for this BS, not in a civil society.
The Atlanta police officer was formally charged with felony murder.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:47 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 pm
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Anybody have a friend of a friend in Atlanta that wants to explain how peaceful it is there too?
Is that where the unarmed black man was just shot by police after being arrested for sleeping in his car?
The moron was not shot because he was sleeping in his car, he was shot because he was resisting arrest. You left that part out.
That's just to appease the mob at this point. It will get reduced. The suspect resisted arrest, wrestled the cop to the ground, stole his taser, ran away, then as the cop is in foot pursuit and NOT shooting at the suspect, the suspect turns around and fires the taser at the cop. At that point the cop uses deadly force.

You can make the argument that the cop didn't need to shoot to kill, that's certainly arguable. The other side of that is, what if the suspect incapacitated the cop with the taser and took his gun? It's easy to see that the cop believed his life was absolutely on the line in that moment.

If we get to the point where cops aren't allowed to defend themselves against criminals willing to kill them, who would ever choose to become a cop? We'll see massive numbers of cops quitting their jobs, we won't be able to field an effective police force, which leads us further toward anarchy.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:05 am

https://news.yahoo.com/atlanta-police-w ... 13964.html

"A number of Atlanta police officers did not show up for their Wednesday night shifts in protest of murder charges brought against a former officer who shot and killed Rayshard Brooks after he resisted arrest."

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:20 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:47 am
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
That's just to appease the mob at this point. It will get reduced. The suspect resisted arrest, wrestled the cop to the ground, stole his taser, ran away, then as the cop is in foot pursuit and NOT shooting at the suspect, the suspect turns around and fires the taser at the cop. At that point the cop uses deadly force.

You can make the argument that the cop didn't need to shoot to kill, that's certainly arguable. The other side of that is, what if the suspect incapacitated the cop with the taser and took his gun? It's easy to see that the cop believed his life was absolutely on the line in that moment.

If we get to the point where cops aren't allowed to defend themselves against criminals willing to kill them, who would ever choose to become a cop? We'll see massive numbers of cops quitting their jobs, we won't be able to field an effective police force, which leads us further toward anarchy.
I think you're right. It'll get reduced. Thought I saw where the mayor or police chief said that a taser is a deadly weapon a week before this happened. Something like that. If so, it's kind of hard to charge him with murder or much of anything.

I also agree that I don't think the cop's life was in danger from a taser. I can't figure out how two cops can't subdue one drunk person, but that's a discussion for another day.

Another discussion is what should cops do in this situation where someone is violently resisting arrest? If you have enough information on the person (driver's license, car plates) could you just let them run away, then contact them and ask them to turn themselves in or they will be charged with more crimes? Obviously the person could just become a fugitive or they could arm themselves when you go in to apprehend, and more people would just resist and run in hopes of getting away. I just don't understand why the guy ran away when he knew the cops had him ID'd and had his car. I think he was out of jail due to Covid and obviously didn't want to go back, but what was he going to do if he got away?

If I'm a cop I'm tempted to just let the person go and tell them as their going that they're going to be found and be in even more trouble then. I think most people that flee would turn themselves in peacefully, but what do I know?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:27 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:20 am
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

I think you're right. It'll get reduced. Thought I saw where the mayor or police chief said that a taser is a deadly weapon a week before this happened. Something like that. If so, it's kind of hard to charge him with murder or much of anything.

I also agree that I don't think the cop's life was in danger from a taser. I can't figure out how two cops can't subdue one drunk person, but that's a discussion for another day.

Another discussion is what should cops do in this situation where someone is violently resisting arrest? If you have enough information on the person (driver's license, car plates) could you just let them run away, then contact them and ask them to turn themselves in or they will be charged with more crimes? Obviously the person could just become a fugitive or they could arm themselves when you go in to apprehend, and more people would just resist and run in hopes of getting away. I just don't understand why the guy ran away when he knew the cops had him ID'd and had his car. I think he was out of jail due to Covid and obviously didn't want to go back, but what was he going to do if he got away?

If I'm a cop I'm tempted to just let the person go and tell them as their going that they're going to be found and be in even more trouble then. I think most people that flee would turn themselves in peacefully, but what do I know?
If someone is "Violently resisting arrest", you think it's a good idea to let them go on their way, obviously in a crazy state of mind (normal people in their right state of mind just flat out don't resist arrest)? We all know some of these instances would result in a killing spree by the crazed individual.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am

iaafan wrote:

Not to make light of this situation, but this is what I have been wondering since this story broke. The guy was so hammered he was passed out in a fricken fast food drive through. Failed a sobriety test miserably. And was still able to out-maneuver two police officers and out-run them to boot?

I think we had three idiots that night. Just sucks one had to lose his life.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am

Watched the DA issuing the charges. Facts he discussed made the charges warranted.

The most relevant (to me anyway) were officers cordiality talked to this fellow for 41 minutes, knew that after the second time the taser was fired it was done and no longer a weapon of any kind, so the runner is unarmed, and two shots in the back at 18’ away.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:23 am

77matcat wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am
Watched the DA issuing the charges. Facts he discussed made the charges warranted.

The most relevant (to me anyway) were officers cordiality talked to this fellow for 41 minutes, knew that after the second time the taser was fired it was done and no longer a weapon of any kind, so the runner is unarmed, and two shots in the back at 18’ away.
Interesting facts about the taser.

Curious about the last part as some have said the man turned towards the officers after the pursuit. That seems to be a crucial part of evidence in my opinion.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 am

Happened about a year ago in Sacramento: an ex-con with a pretty colorful rap sheet out and about at around midnight, going through parked cars, police show up and the guy bolts jumping fences through back yards. Finally stops, turns around (remember it it around midnight) and has something in his hand. The police drop the guy right there. His community protests saying the police should not have shot him. It was the old he wasn't a bad guy argument. This seems to be a fairly common thread, resist, run and then turn around like they are holding a weapon. I don't really see an issue with the po!ice, for the most part. These officers just want to go home at the end of shift.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:27 am
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

If someone is "Violently resisting arrest", you think it's a good idea to let them go on their way, obviously in a crazy state of mind (normal people in their right state of mind just flat out don't resist arrest)? We all know some of these instances would result in a killing spree by the crazed individual.
Well maybe, but I don't know of that ever happening before. I've never heard of someone getting away from police and then going on a killing spree. If that's true that people fleeing cops go on killing sprees, it would be a bad idea to just let them go.

Rich K

Post by Rich K » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:18 am

So the DA is trying this in the media because she knows it won't hold up in court. Ultimately the charges will be reduced. After that it's PARTY TIME!

See you girls at the "peaceful protests" that spawn riots!

Indeed this is turning into a summer of love.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:14 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 am
catatac wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Well maybe, but I don't know of that ever happening before. I've never heard of someone getting away from police and then going on a killing spree. If that's true that people fleeing cops go on killing sprees, it would be a bad idea to just let them go.
Maybe not a killing spree but it definitely creates additional liability for the police. Say they're on a domestic violence call, the husband resists arrest and they let him go, then later that night he kills his wife. I imagine her family would partially fault the cops in that situation.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:03 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:14 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 am
catatac wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Maybe not a killing spree but it definitely creates additional liability for the police. Say they're on a domestic violence call, the husband resists arrest and they let him go, then later that night he kills his wife. I imagine her family would partially fault the cops in that situation.
A call about a guy sleeping in his car is different from a domestic disturbance call. I would assume all/most police officers understand that.