Samantha Francine vs. Jay Snowden

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Samantha Francine vs. Jay Snowden

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:39 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/girl- ... index.html
The 27-year-old protester said the words of her white father, who died 16 years ago, ran through her head: "No matter who the threat is, no matter what the threat is, you look them in the eye so that they know you're human."
"In that moment, I felt those words that my father spoke to me from such a young age and I saw fear in his eyes and I knew he wasn't going to hurt me," Francine said. "He was just upset and uncomfortable, so I just stood my ground and it got captured in such a beautiful way."
All I can say is she's got me beat. That guy was scary, but I like how she completely flipped that, felt no fear and seems to almost feel sorry for the guy. That's great strength and character. I also like how she had the presence of mind to take off her sunglasses, so he could see her eyes.
Francine said she has no malice in her heart toward Snowden and in fact delivered a gift basket to his wife on Saturday to let her know that she knows his wife doesn't embody her husband.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Re: Samantha Francine vs. Jay Snowden

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:59 pm

No matter what your viewpoint is, the actions of Jay Snowden are completely unacceptable. Kudos to the people in attendance who did not act physically toward him. I would have had a hard time biting my tongue and turning my cheek.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:19 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:39 pm
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/girl- ... index.html
The 27-year-old protester said the words of her white father, who died 16 years ago, ran through her head: "No matter who the threat is, no matter what the threat is, you look them in the eye so that they know you're human."
"In that moment, I felt those words that my father spoke to me from such a young age and I saw fear in his eyes and I knew he wasn't going to hurt me," Francine said. "He was just upset and uncomfortable, so I just stood my ground and it got captured in such a beautiful way."
All I can say is she's got me beat. That guy was scary, but I like how she completely flipped that, felt no fear and seems to almost feel sorry for the guy. That's great strength and character. I also like how she had the presence of mind to take off her sunglasses, so he could see her eyes.
Francine said she has no malice in her heart toward Snowden and in fact delivered a gift basket to his wife on Saturday to let her know that she knows his wife doesn't embody her husband.
Wow!! What an amazing story.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:34 am

I’ve seen the photo but haven’t heard context. Has it been reported what he said and what he was so angry about?

This is a photo that will resonate forever and really symbolizes the crap our country is dealing with right now.

coachouert
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by coachouert » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:44 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:34 am
I’ve seen the photo but haven’t heard context. Has it been reported what he said and what he was so angry about?

This is a photo that will resonate forever and really symbolizes the crap our country is dealing with right now.
In the world of cell phones, there's always a video.

https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-r ... onstrators

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:08 am

coachouert wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:44 am
ilovethecats wrote:

In the world of cell phones, there's always a video.

https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-r ... onstrators
Man he was really making the rounds. :shock:

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:57 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:59 pm
No matter what your viewpoint is, the actions of Jay Snowden are completely unacceptable. Kudos to the people in attendance who did not act physically toward him. I would have had a hard time biting my tongue and turning my cheek.
Completely agree. I would've tried my best to loosen his teeth. Her composure was astronomical. It probably shows that mentally preparing/practicing for high stress situations is the only way for a person not to resort to their natural tendencies (fight, flight, turtle shell, tears....whatever). Flight training did this all the time (instructor reaches over and cuts throttle....you just lost your engine, what are you going to do!?!)

Makes me want to have fire drills & serious conversations with my family about emergency preparedness (intruder, medical, kidnapping, drugs, guns at school....)

It was interesting to see that a mob mentality can have a positive effect. It seems like the group helped each individual keep their cool. He got into multiple people's face...nobody took the bait.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:03 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

You never know. He could be a BLM operative posing as an anti-protester. Maybe someone threatened him or a family member with physical violence. I thought I read somewhere that he felt they were disrespecting the flag.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:31 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:03 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

You never know. He could be a BLM operative posing as an anti-protester. Maybe someone threatened him or a family member with physical violence. I thought I read somewhere that he felt they were disrespecting the flag.
I heard that about the flag, not sure though. Sounds like one of the protesters had a sign that said "Fuc* You Veterans", and this guy is a vet.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:45 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:31 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

I heard that about the flag, not sure though. Sounds like one of the protesters had a sign that said "Fuc* You Veterans", and this guy is a vet.

Someone had a sign that said FU Veterans? That’s doesn’t seem logical at all in this context. Where is that being reported? I didn’t see it on the posted YouTube link (maybe I missed it?)

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 pm

WolfPtCat wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:57 am
Cataholic wrote:
Completely agree. I would've tried my best to loosen his teeth. Her composure was astronomical. It probably shows that mentally preparing/practicing for high stress situations is the only way for a person not to resort to their natural tendencies (fight, flight, turtle shell, tears....whatever). Flight training did this all the time (instructor reaches over and cuts throttle....you just lost your engine, what are you going to do!?!)

Makes me want to have fire drills & serious conversations with my family about emergency preparedness (intruder, medical, kidnapping, drugs, guns at school....)

It was interesting to see that a mob mentality can have a positive effect. It seems like the group helped each individual keep their cool. He got into multiple people's face...nobody took the bait.
I am really concerned with what society has been evolving into. Not just on racial lines, but many areas. As an example, I was in Missoula this weekend and pulled into a restaurant parking lot with my wife and one of my kids. There was a car stopped in the lot making it impossible to get around and access a parking spot. The driver was having a conversation with someone standing next to their window. Not very thoughtful of them, but we quietly sat for a second letting them converse - no big deal. My car was at least 10 feet behind them and we didn’t creep up on them or give them any indication to move, but we had no place else to go. After about 30 seconds, the guy standing outside of the car finishes talking and starts to walk away to his vehicle. In the process he gives me the finger and starts cussing us out. I was like WTF??? I am a reasonably muscular guy and would have killed this guy (he was about 5’5” with a big beer belly). I honestly wanted to go break his nose, but I had nothing gain by doing that.

What really got me though is why are people so nasty to others, regardless of color or race? I see it all the time in youth athletics and it is absolutely is killing me. How do we change the way assholes act like the guy I just encountered? I never did anything, so he won’t change his actions.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:48 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 pm
WolfPtCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I am really concerned with what society has been evolving into. Not just on racial lines, but many areas. As an example, I was in Missoula this weekend and pulled into a restaurant parking lot with my wife and one of my kids. There was a car stopped in the lot making it impossible to get around and access a parking spot. The driver was having a conversation with someone standing next to their window. Not very thoughtful of them, but we quietly sat for a second letting them converse - no big deal. My car was at least 10 feet behind them and we didn’t creep up on them or give them any indication to move, but we had no place else to go. After about 30 seconds, the guy standing outside of the car finishes talking and starts to walk away to his vehicle. In the process he gives me the finger and starts cussing us out. I was like WTF??? I am a reasonably muscular guy and would have killed this guy (he was about 5’5” with a big beer belly). I honestly wanted to go break his nose, but I had nothing gain by doing that.

What really got me though is why are people so nasty to others, regardless of color or race? I see it all the time in youth athletics and it is absolutely is killing me. How do we change the way assholes act like the guy I just encountered? I never did anything, so he won’t change his actions.
I think doing what you did was pretty good. I think Samantha sets a great example. Beat people up with kindness. Keep a BLM and MAGA cap in your car. If the person being mean seems like Trumper, throw on the MAGA cap. If the person seems like a "mad at white people no matter who it is" don the BLM cap. (Just kidding about the caps...sorta)

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:13 pm

Cataholic wrote:
WolfPtCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I have to ask...do you have Cat plates?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:37 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
WolfPtCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

:lol:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:45 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:45 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:31 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Someone had a sign that said FU Veterans? That’s doesn’t seem logical at all in this context. Where is that being reported? I didn’t see it on the posted YouTube link (maybe I missed it?)
I totally agree, that sounded out of place and I have no idea if it's true or not but someone on Facebook posted about it and said they saw the sign. Who knows, could be BS and people making stuff up. Something definitely set him off and in the CNN video you can hear him saying he did three tours, and asking one of the protesters if they did. Also, I paused the video a few times to see if I could read some of the signs and didn't see that. There was one sign that said "Protest Patriotism" whatever that means...

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:35 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
WolfPtCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Haha! Actually not on this vehicle! Unfortunately, these random acts of anger and aggression seem more commonplace nowadays. Don’t get me started on youth athletics! The parents are way worse than either the kids or coaches!