General James Mattis speaks out.

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

General James Mattis speaks out.

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 am

Former SECDEF Mattis, who once said he’d never speak ill of a sitting president has finally been compelled to rebuke president trump.

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership,”

Mattis called the decision to clear protesters in Lafayette Square an “abuse of executive authority” and said that Americans should “reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution.”

Mattis noted that when he joined the military, he took an oath to support the U.S. Constitution, and “never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens.”

Also, currents SECDEF, Esper, seems to be publicly rejecting president trump idea of invoking the insurrection act.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: General James Mattis speaks out.

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:43 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 am
Former SECDEF Mattis, who once said he’d never speak ill of a sitting president has finally been compelled to rebuke president trump.

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership,”

Mattis called the decision to clear protesters in Lafayette Square an “abuse of executive authority” and said that Americans should “reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution.”

Mattis noted that when he joined the military, he took an oath to support the U.S. Constitution, and “never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens.”

Also, currents SECDEF, Esper, seems to be publicly rejecting president trump idea of invoking the insurrection act.
I don't even know what that means? Is he talking about the rioters, looters, thugs? They're doing all that because of Trump?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:13 am

This is not very reassuring either:
Per NBC reporter Garrett Haake:
Back outside the White House. Today the perimeter has been pushed back another half block. Federal law enforcement of some kind, but they won’t identify themselves, and all insignias and name plates have been removed.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Trump’s former chief of staff John Kelly says he agrees with Mattis. “I think we need to look harder at who we elect. I think we should look at people that are running for office and put them through the filter: What is their character like? What are their ethics?”

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:12 pm

He’s sick. Just not capable of empathy or comparison

The most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders lists nine criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), but it specifies that someone only needs to meet five of them to clinically qualify as a narcissist.

9 official criteria for NPD

grandiose sense of self-importance
preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
belief they’re special and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people or institutions
need for excessive admiration
sense of entitlement
interpersonally exploitative behavior
lack of empathy
envy of others or a belief that others are envious of them
demonstration of arrogant and haughty behaviors or attitudes

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 pm

wbtfg wrote:

Mattis is the same guy who had problems with past presidents as well - namely Obama.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... n-new-book

“But he (Mattis) is scathing about a former president in Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead, which is released today, and he doesn’t hesitate to name him: Barack Obama.“

Lots of criticism on Obama’s policies and management. Of course you wouldn’t bring that up...

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:34 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 pm
wbtfg wrote:

Mattis is the same guy who had problems with past presidents as well - namely Obama.

“But he (Mattis) is scathing about a former president in Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead, which is released today, and he doesn’t hesitate to name him: Barack Obama.“

Lots of criticism on Obama’s policies and management. Of course you wouldn’t bring that up...
Big difference between criticizing the policies of a former president...that’s pretty normal stuff.

But calling out the character constitutional integrity of a sitting president who you served as the SECDEF? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that. Have you?

Also, when you combine these comments with those from Rex Tillerson, John Kelly, etc., there looks to be a trend here.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:37 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:34 am
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Big difference between criticizing the policies of a former president...that’s pretty normal stuff.

But calling out the character constitutional integrity of a sitting president who you served as the SECDEF? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that. Have you?

Also, when you combine these comments with those from Rex Tillerson, John Kelly, etc., there looks to be a trend here.
Trump can be a bully, arrogant, insensitive and make dumb statements. We have all experienced similar personalities in positions of authority and former employees can have hard feelings and be very critical of their previous boss. That is pretty normal stuff.

While Trumps antics have created enemies, he is not TRYING to divide the country. That would be counterproductive to getting the country going again and having a successful presidency. Trump is a flawed person and can be his own worst enemy, but he is not trying to tear the country apart like liberals claim. The actions of other key political figures have been just as toxic to this country - both republicans and democrats.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:37 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Trump can be a bully, arrogant, insensitive and make dumb statements. We have all experienced similar personalities in positions of authority and former employees can have hard feelings and be very critical of their previous boss. That is pretty normal stuff.

While Trumps antics have created enemies, he is not TRYING to divide the country. That would be counterproductive to getting the country going again and having a successful presidency. Trump is a flawed person and can be his own worst enemy, but he is not trying to tear the country apart like liberals claim. The actions of other key political figures have been just as toxic to this country - both republicans and democrats.
“never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens.”

This phrase from a career marine who rose to the rank of general and was appointed secretary of defense isnt “normal stuff”.

An individual doesn’t get appointed to Marine Corps general and CentCommander by being offended by arrogance and insensitivity.

These comments combined with similar comments from others formerly in trumps inner circle should be a big bright warning siren. But apparently we just explain it away as sour grapes.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:26 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:10 pm
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

“never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens.”

This phrase from a career marine who rose to the rank of general and was appointed secretary of defense isnt “normal stuff”.

An individual doesn’t get appointed to Marine Corps general and CentCommander by being offended by arrogance and insensitivity.

These comments combined with similar comments from others formerly in trumps inner circle should be a big bright warning siren. But apparently we just explain it away as sour grapes.
Mattis has a history of criticizing his former superiors. Here are just two other examples:

Mattis summarizes his time commanding CENTCOM, overseeing military operations in the Middle East and Central Asia until Obama fired him, in harsh terms: “It was to be a time when I would witness duty and deceit, courage and cowardice, and, ultimately, strategic frustration.”

“He details in the book how Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, who was in charge of Iraq policy, were “ignoring reality” in the country and made a political decision to withdraw troops, a choice that allowed the return of al Qaeda in a new and more ambitious guise, the Islamic State.”

I have already acknowledged that Trump has many character flaws, but to try and point this countries issues on one sitting President is far from accurate. Your posts have blamed Trump for everything from racial tension to spread of covid to the downfall of the economy, etc... Why don’t you try to watch a different newscast than CNN or NBC and expand your thinking.

From a local DC news outlet: U.S. Park Police commented in a statement and said, "Many of the protesters then became very violent, hurling bricks and other projectiles at officers......We want to be clear that no tear gas was used by U.S. Park Police officers to clear the area."

But whatever CNN puts out, you treat as the gospel.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:26 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Mattis has a history of criticizing his former superiors. Here are just two other examples:

Mattis summarizes his time commanding CENTCOM, overseeing military operations in the Middle East and Central Asia until Obama fired him, in harsh terms: “It was to be a time when I would witness duty and deceit, courage and cowardice, and, ultimately, strategic frustration.”

“He details in the book how Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, who was in charge of Iraq policy, were “ignoring reality” in the country and made a political decision to withdraw troops, a choice that allowed the return of al Qaeda in a new and more ambitious guise, the Islamic State.”

I have already acknowledged that Trump has many character flaws, but to try and point this countries issues on one sitting President is far from accurate. Your posts have blamed Trump for everything from racial tension to spread of covid to the downfall of the economy, etc... Why don’t you try to watch a different newscast than CNN or NBC and expand your thinking.

From a local DC news outlet: U.S. Park Police commented in a statement and said, "Many of the protesters then became very violent, hurling bricks and other projectiles at officers......We want to be clear that no tear gas was used by U.S. Park Police officers to clear the area."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/park-police- ... k-clearing

Fox News: Park Police now saying it was pepper balls, not tear gas.

“I’m not going to say that pepper balls don’t irritate you,” Sgt. Eduardo Delgado told Vox. “I’m not saying it’s not a tear gas, but I’m just saying we use a pepper ball that shoots a powder.”

Fox News is starting to lean left though, so not sure how accurate that is.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:26 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Where have I treated cnn as gospel? I quoted directly from the Mattis statement. And as I said previously, it’s much different to question policy and strategy than it is to question character and constitutional integrity. I’m surprised you don’t agree with that.

As for the the tear gas thing, I quoted directly from the whitehouse briefing where they said “chemical agent“

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 am

wbtfg wrote:

What are your thoughts on Mattis promoting a fraud while he was an active duty general? Do you have an opinion about him later sitting on the board of directors for the same fraudulent company after he’d retired from active duty? The company I’m talking about is Theranos.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:13 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 am
wbtfg wrote:

What are your thoughts on Mattis promoting a fraud while he was an active duty general? Do you have an opinion about him later sitting on the board of directors for the same fraudulent company after he’d retired from active duty? The company I’m talking about is Theranos.
I don’t know anything about it. Was this before or after he was vetted and confirmed to be secretary of defense?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:20 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:13 am
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I don’t know anything about it. Was this before or after he was vetted and confirmed to be secretary of defense?
Before. He resigned from their board in January 2017 because he’d been appointed by Trump.

It’s time to talk about James Mattis’s involvement with the Theranos scandal

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:22 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:20 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Before. He resigned from their board in January 2017 because he’d been appointed by Trump.

Interesting. Did he face much scrutiny in his confirmation hearings? If I remember correctly, I’m pretty sure his nomination breezed through without a lot of dissension. Maybe even a unanimous vote?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:56 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:22 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:20 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Interesting. Did he face much scrutiny in his confirmation hearings? If I remember correctly, I’m pretty sure his nomination breezed through without a lot of dissension. Maybe even a unanimous vote?
98-1. I don’t remember the tone of the hearings, but I’d guess any dissent and tough questions were just for posturing.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:12 am

From Colon Powell: “I certainly cannot, in any way, support President Trump this year.”

arvcat2
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:59 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:12 am
From Colon Powell: “I certainly cannot, in any way, support President Trump this year.”
BFD. Powell has been a democrat for 16 some years and neither supported McCain or Romney.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:25 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:12 am
How did you feel about Powell when he was an influential part of the cacophony advocating for the invasion of Iraq due to their stockpiling and intent to use weapons of mass destruction?