The Media

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

catatac
Golden Bobcat

The Media

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:55 am

Disclaimer here, I can't stand how biased the media has become... on both sides. Someone pointed out a few days ago, some stupid examples (Montana Covid Cases Increase 450%, etc.) that the media uses to make things look big, bad, and scary. Huge pet peeve of mine.

But, my main point here is that one day before the Floyd story broke, I checked out CNN and I counted this, no exaggeration here but 49 of the top 50 stories were about Covid. The other one was some other story bashing trump. I just looked at CNN a few minutes ago and it looks like around 40 of the top 50 stories are about Floyd. I see exactly one little blip about Covid. It's almost like Covid has completely disappeared.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

technoCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: The Media

Post by technoCat » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:11 am

Yeah, the media is no longer in the business of giving the news. Its all about getting clicks and you get more of those with sensationalized stories that get people emotional than with telling it like it is. I wish that they would be forced to either tell the news without a slant or lose their press privileges. I really don't understand how its allowed for them to just plain lie about things and get away with it. Just have to print a "retraction" on page 28 that nobody will ever read and even if they did, its already affected their opinion...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:02 am

I watch both Fox and CNN an equal amount. I can handle any bias a news organization may have. Mainly I question whether or not they're telling the truth and research what they say. It usually doesn't take long to verify. It's the truth and facts that matter to me.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:30 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:11 am
Yeah, the media is no longer in the business of giving the news. Its all about getting clicks and you get more of those with sensationalized stories that get people emotional than with telling it like it is. I wish that they would be forced to either tell the news without a slant or lose their press privileges. I really don't understand how its allowed for them to just plain lie about things and get away with it. Just have to print a "retraction" on page 28 that nobody will ever read and even if they did, its already affected their opinion...

The media's sensationalized stories is a reason the world over-reacted to Covid-19.
It's another reason people are reacting to Floyd's death they way they are.
There seems enough of the population that is unable to think beyond what the media presents (Social media included) that is causes problems in our society.

Even our local media, especially the Bozeman Chronicle, does a very poor job of presenting an honest view on most things it writes about.
Whenever I read something from that biased paper I am always looking at what they did not ask and what they did not write.
Once one learns to think outside of the media's box one becomes upset about the piss poor job our news media does.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:57 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:02 am
I watch both Fox and CNN an equal amount. I can handle any bias a news organization may have. Mainly I question whether or not they're telling the truth and research what they say. It usually doesn't take long to verify. It's the truth and facts that matter to me.
Great point. If everyone did this, the media really wouldn't be an issue.

I honestly can't really blame these media outlets when I see how people respond to them. They are catering to their own specialized audience. Until everyone, or at least a lot more people, start doing what you said above; the media really has no reason to change. Obviously the two biggest are Fox and CNN. They both cater to a select group, and choosing not to would result in fewer viewers and ultimately less money.

Once every democrat realizes that everything CNN says isn't gospel and everything Fox says isn't evil the better. Once every republican realizes that everything Fox says and everything CNN says isn't evil....the better. :lol:

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:31 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:57 pm
iaafan wrote:

I honestly can't really blame these media outlets when I see how people respond to them. They are catering to their own specialized audience. Until everyone, or at least a lot more people, start doing what you said above; the media really has no reason to change. Obviously the two biggest are Fox and CNN. They both cater to a select group, and choosing not to would result in fewer viewers and ultimately less money.

Once every democrat realizes that everything CNN says isn't gospel and everything Fox says isn't evil the better. Once every republican realizes that everything Fox says and everything CNN says isn't evil....the better. :lol:
I've tried looking at both, but find the narrative from both is BS. People say research stuff, very hard to find just facts anymore. We also tend to look towards our own bias. I post things I find that reinforce my leanings. There are several posters that always find the stuff that matches the opposite view. They just don't know they are being hoodwinked, while mine come from place of pure love and understanding. #-o :-^

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:31 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I've tried looking at both, but find the narrative from both is BS. People say research stuff, very hard to find just facts anymore. We also tend to look towards our own bias. I post things I find that reinforce my leanings. There are several posters that always find the stuff that matches the opposite view. They just don't know they are being hoodwinked, while mine come from place of pure love and understanding. #-o :-^
I agree with you on the difficulty finding actual facts anymore. During all my back-and-forths in regards to the virus, I have been told many times my sources are bad, or even fake. I suppose it's possible some were bad, I don't know.

I guess all you can do is research something as much as you can and make an educated choice. Not always easy with the media outlets today though.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:11 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 pm

I agree with you on the difficulty finding actual facts anymore. During all my back-and-forths in regards to the virus, I have been told many times my sources are bad, or even fake. I suppose it's possible some were bad, I don't know.

I guess all you can do is research something as much as you can and make an educated choice. Not always easy with the media outlets today though.
I agree and think we as a country would be in a vastly better place if people would spend less time mindlessly watching the cable news outlet of their choice, and more time actually doing their own research, without going into it with preconceived notions, to seek out non-partisan sources of information and data from which to make decisions. I consider myself to be fairly moderate politically (further left on social issues, further right on economic issues) and can't stand more than about 10 minutes of any of the cable news networks.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 pm

A lot, too many, people treat politics like a sport. Their team can do no wrong and it's all about winning elections, not what's best for the country. Then when they watch the news, they either like what they hear and don't check to see if there's another take or they don't like what they hear and don't check to see if it's correct. Like listening to Scott Guernsey call a football game to Bobcat' fans is like listening to someone drag their nails across a chalkboard. But Griz fans love the guy to the end of the earth. (Note that dig on Griz fans being flat-earthers :) )

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 pm
A lot, too many, people treat politics like a sport. Their team can do no wrong and it's all about winning elections, not what's best for the country. Then when they watch the news, they either like what they hear and don't check to see if there's another take or they don't like what they hear and don't check to see if it's correct. Like listening to Scott Guernsey call a football game to Bobcat' fans is like listening to someone drag their nails across a chalkboard. But Griz fans love the guy to the end of the earth. (Note that dig on Griz fans being flat-earthers :) )

I thought the same a while ago, but I feel like it’s now morphing from sport into cult. If fearless leader says sky is red, then the sky is red and we should attack anyone who says otherwise.

technoCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by technoCat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:22 am

allcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

You also have to wonder if all the stories of search engines leaning a specific way so the first 100 articles lean one way when the next 1000 might go the other.

Bottom line is we shouldn't have to do research to find out if a NEWS ORGANIZATION is telling the truth. If their show is labeled as opinion fine but if you are reporting the NEWS, then just give it to us straight. Honestly, I don't even watch CNN at all and Fox very little. I'll watch ABC and NBC once in a while but I get most of it from the podcasts I watch and then go look it up.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:42 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:22 am
allcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

You also have to wonder if all the stories of search engines leaning a specific way so the first 100 articles lean one way when the next 1000 might go the other.

Bottom line is we shouldn't have to do research to find out if a NEWS ORGANIZATION is telling the truth. If their show is labeled as opinion fine but if you are reporting the NEWS, then just give it to us straight. Honestly, I don't even watch CNN at all and Fox very little. I'll watch ABC and NBC once in a while but I get most of it from the podcasts I watch and then go look it up.
what podcasts do you recommend?