Minneapolis policeman kills man

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Minneapolis policeman kills man

Post by 91catAlum » Fri May 29, 2020 1:34 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:56 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:18 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:45 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:40 am
Perhaps if people had spent less time vilifying athletes for protesting peacefully and more time paying attention to the problems that led to the protests, we wouldn't be in this position right now.

"A riot is the language of the unheard."
How about looting? Is looting the language of the unheard?
No excuse for destroying people's businesses, innocent people who have nothing to do with a murderous cop.

The entire situation is horrible. I never said otherwise. But the only way out is to stop vilifying those with different experiences, different viewpoints, and different methods of peacefully protesting and to start LISTENING to them and taking action to fix the issues they're protesting about.
Yes you did, at least you implied otherwise. When you quote that "riots are the language of the unheard" then you are implying that those people have a right to destroy and steal other people's property, innocent people.

Pretty sure the entire country is listening, and has been. What do you suggest we do to avoid this situation in the future?
The entire country has not been listening. If they were listening, they'd be spending less time organizing pointless boycotts of Nike and blacklisting players from the NFL, and more time having a conversation to come up with solutions to the systemic problems that exist. "Riots are the language of the unheard" does not justify rioting or looting. It states that the reason why the rioting and looting is happening is because the people with the power to bring about meaningful change have NOT been listening to the peaceful protests, and the repeated calls for action as these type of incidents happen again and again and again with a frightfully similar pattern.

What do I suggest we do? For starters, Congress should pass the Resolution to Condemn Police Brutality that's being introduced today. They can follow that up by passing the Excessive Use of Force Prevention Act introduced back in 2018, that addresses choke holds or other actions that hinder a suspect's ability to breathe. The President can then sign both of those and stay the ****** off Twitter.
I agree 100% with your 2nd paragraph. But I can't get behind Kapernick and his pig-cop socks. Sorry. That does nothing to help the situation, its basically just trolling the police. Had he taken the high road, I would've supported his cause.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:34 pm
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Perhaps if people had spent less time vilifying athletes for protesting peacefully and more time paying attention to the problems that led to the protests, we wouldn't be in this position right now.

No excuse for destroying people's businesses, innocent people who have nothing to do with a murderous cop.

The entire situation is horrible. I never said otherwise. But the only way out is to stop vilifying those with different experiences, different viewpoints, and different methods of peacefully protesting and to start LISTENING to them and taking action to fix the issues they're protesting about.
Yes you did, at least you implied otherwise. When you quote that "riots are the language of the unheard" then you are implying that those people have a right to destroy and steal other people's property, innocent people.

Pretty sure the entire country is listening, and has been. What do you suggest we do to avoid this situation in the future?
The entire country has not been listening. If they were listening, they'd be spending less time organizing pointless boycotts of Nike and blacklisting players from the NFL, and more time having a conversation to come up with solutions to the systemic problems that exist. "Riots are the language of the unheard" does not justify rioting or looting. It states that the reason why the rioting and looting is happening is because the people with the power to bring about meaningful change have NOT been listening to the peaceful protests, and the repeated calls for action as these type of incidents happen again and again and again with a frightfully similar pattern.

What do I suggest we do? For starters, Congress should pass the Resolution to Condemn Police Brutality that's being introduced today. They can follow that up by passing the Excessive Use of Force Prevention Act introduced back in 2018, that addresses choke holds or other actions that hinder a suspect's ability to breathe. The President can then sign both of those and stay the ****** off Twitter.
I agree 100% with your 2nd paragraph. But I can't get behind Kapernick and his pig-cop socks. Sorry. That does nothing to help the situation, its basically just trolling the police. Had he taken the high road, I would've supported his cause.
I don't agree with everything Kaepernick did either (particularly the socks), but I think it's very important to separate the method of the protest from the goal of the protest. If the goal of the protest is valid and something that should be addressed, then we should still listen to that protest and address it. Unfortunately, and I agree that it was partially his own fault, Kaepernick's protests became more about him and less about the issue he was rightfully trying to bring attention to.

Good discussions to have!

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 29, 2020 2:11 pm

I see he was arrested, but I bet nothing happens. He'll walk on some technical issue and then sue the City of Mpls for a ton of money. Rinse, lather, repeat.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri May 29, 2020 2:27 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:34 pm
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I don't agree with everything Kaepernick did either (particularly the socks), but I think it's very important to separate the method of the protest from the goal of the protest. If the goal of the protest is valid and something that should be addressed, then we should still listen to that protest and address it. Unfortunately, and I agree that it was partially his own fault, Kaepernick's protests became more about him and less about the issue he was rightfully trying to bring attention to.

Good discussions to have!
Good points.
I think the method is very important, as that is what determines how many people you draw to your cause, and how serious your cause will be taken by other people.
Otherwise I think we basically agree on this whole issue.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri May 29, 2020 8:04 pm

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri May 29, 2020 8:41 pm

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sat May 30, 2020 6:46 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:11 pm
I see he was arrested, but I bet nothing happens. He'll walk on some technical issue and then sue the City of Mpls for a ton of money. Rinse, lather, repeat.
Feeling more and more like this will happen. Doctors saying (I’m paraphrasing) that knee on neck didn’t kill him. It was alcohol (or whatever was in his system), pre-existing medical conditions (just like most coronavirus deaths) and stress from contributing factors of his restraint.

I expect many blaming weakened defense systems for Covid deaths to also blame that for Floyd’s death.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sat May 30, 2020 6:54 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 am
hokeyfine wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:32 am
i believe they are waiting for the autopsy and the official cause of death. then charges will be filed
Oh great. So they'll list it as a Covid death and this idiot will get off scott free..... :-#
Turns out that’s kinda what’s happening. Except, like Covid death deniers, they’re blaming pre-existing health conditions.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat May 30, 2020 8:51 am

iaafan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:54 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 am
hokeyfine wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:32 am
i believe they are waiting for the autopsy and the official cause of death. then charges will be filed
Oh great. So they'll list it as a Covid death and this idiot will get off scott free..... :-#
Turns out that’s kinda what’s happening. Except, like Covid death deniers, they’re blaming pre-existing health conditions.
I read that. What a mess. Just disgusting all the way around.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat May 30, 2020 8:57 am

Also, as the dust is settling, sounds like there are lots of outside agitators who have come into Minnesota with the goal of inciting violence.

wbj
New Recruit

Post by wbj » Sun May 31, 2020 9:08 am

I don't know how to broach this, but I'm so upset by it I need an outlet. First off, I believe the police officer in Minneapolis need to go to prison - hopefully for life. I also think his fellow police officers that were there need some jail time as well - they have a responsibility to protect the public - and they failed. Having said that, I am equally mad about these protesters and those that are calling for violence in these time. Protested I get. But calling for violence I don;t. What is really making me mad is to see Kane Ioane liking tweets that call for just that. This coach had a special place in our program and to see him lend a voice to those calling for attacks on others and defending the violence really upsets me. Many young men look up to him and to use his voice in this way sickens me - to the point if it doesn't stop, I may reconsider my support of Bobcat football.
Yes he is allowed his opinions - but when he uses the same tweeter account that he uses in representing MSU to support those that are calling for violence - I have a problem with that. Rant over.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun May 31, 2020 9:24 am

wbj wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:08 am
I don't know how to broach this, but I'm so upset by it I need an outlet. First off, I believe the police officer in Minneapolis need to go to prison - hopefully for life. I also think his fellow police officers that were there need some jail time as well - they have a responsibility to protect the public - and they failed. Having said that, I am equally mad about these protesters and those that are calling for violence in these time. Protested I get. But calling for violence I don;t. What is really making me mad is to see Kane Ioane liking tweets that call for just that. This coach had a special place in our program and to see him lend a voice to those calling for attacks on others and defending the violence really upsets me. Many young men look up to him and to use his voice in this way sickens me - to the point if it doesn't stop, I may reconsider my support of Bobcat football.
Yes he is allowed his opinions - but when he uses the same tweeter account that he uses in representing MSU to support those that are calling for violence - I have a problem with that. Rant over.
Just looked through his liked tweets and did not see any that defend or promote violence. Could you post the tweet that upset you?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 31, 2020 9:41 am

This is how it’s done. Awesome sheriff.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun May 31, 2020 9:52 am

wbj wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:08 am
I sure don’t see any tweets promoting violence that Kane has “liked”

Griz fan trying to stir the pot?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:19 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:41 am

I was trying to think of what this reminded me of. It came to me. Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse. “Be nice.” That was the training he gave his bouncers-in-training. It’s hard to not be nice to the nice.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Ya never know, these elderly people in Salt Lake City are an ornery bunch.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:26 pm

Lots of good stuff on Twitter today.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:21 pm

The police chief in Santa Cruz took a knee with protesters.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:19 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:41 am

I was trying to think of what this reminded me of. It came to me. Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse. “Be nice.” That was the training he gave his bouncers-in-training. It’s hard to not be nice to the nice.
This moment was a good example of: get curious, not furious.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sun May 31, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:56 pm

And from right here in Bozeman...

toM StUber