Testing

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Testing

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 am

Admittingly I am not well-informed on the testing of the Corona. Can someone more educated than myself explain what the issue with testing is? Everyone in the country aside from maybe the guy running the country seems to agree that more testing is needed. Many experts seem to agree that mass testing would be a game-changer fighting this thing.

So my question is: what is the holdup? Is it financial? Is it a manpower issue in actually conducting tests? Do they take too long to make?

It would seem to me that this should be priority number 1, 2, AND 3.

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Testing

Post by Rich K » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 am

How often shall we test you? Every day? Each time you go to a public place? Shall we test everybody? Shall we test everybody every day? What exactly do you want us to do if you test positive, shall we reach out to every person you came into contact with since the last time you were tested and quarantine them until they test negative?

At least if I catch an STD I have (sometimes) a memory of those people I might have passed it to.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:43 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 am
How often shall we test you? Every day? Each time you go to a public place? Shall we test everybody? Shall we test everybody every day? What exactly do you want us to do if you test positive, shall we reach out to every person you came into contact with since the last time you were tested and quarantine them until they test negative?

At least if I catch an STD I have (sometimes) a memory of those people I might have passed it to.
I don't have an answer for any of that. But we ARE testing so some smart people must think there are benefits to testing. And I hear government officials and virus experts say we need more testing so I assume they too believe we need more testing.

So if all these people are right, and we need more testing, I'm curious what we need to do for more testing.

Every person every day seems redundant but as I said I have no idea. Mind you this is coming from a guy who isn't very concerned about this virus. But the topic fascinates me and I thought maybe someone might have some insight on the testing.

technoCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by technoCat » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:55 am

One issue is probably that we have several tests floating around out there that a giving a bunch of false negatives. Plus you have to actually convince people to go to the doctor to get tested after telling them for weeks to avoid hospitals.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:55 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 am
Admittingly I am not well-informed on the testing of the Corona. Can someone more educated than myself explain what the issue with testing is? Everyone in the country aside from maybe the guy running the country seems to agree that more testing is needed. Many experts seem to agree that mass testing would be a game-changer fighting this thing.

So my question is: what is the holdup? Is it financial? Is it a manpower issue in actually conducting tests? Do they take too long to make?

One major issue is that the original test the CDC developed for COVID-19 back in January ended up being ineffective, while at the same time private labs were not allowed by the federal government to work on their own tests that could have filled in the gaps and allowed for more widespread testing early on. By the time the federal government figured out their test and opened things up more to other entities at the end of February, we are already way too far behind to have enough testing capacity when it was desperately needed as case numbers exploded in March. I imagine we're doing better now, but production of anything can only proceed at a limited rate. So when you're using up the tests as fast as you can produce them there will be a shortage until case numbers decline to the point that we can build up a reserve in order to be able to efficiently test more people weeks or months down the line.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 01, 2020 10:08 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:55 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 am

One major issue is that the original test the CDC developed for COVID-19 back in January ended up being ineffective, while at the same time private labs were not allowed by the federal government to work on their own tests that could have filled in the gaps and allowed for more widespread testing early on. By the time the federal government figured out their test and opened things up more to other entities at the end of February, we are already way too far behind to have enough testing capacity when it was desperately needed as case numbers exploded in March. I imagine we're doing better now, but production of anything can only proceed at a limited rate. So when you're using up the tests as fast as you can produce them there will be a shortage until case numbers decline to the point that we can build up a reserve in order to be able to efficiently test more people weeks or months down the line.
Thanks. I was wondering about that too.