Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:50 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:08 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:32 am
wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:23 pm
We (America) just shattered the record for most positive cases in a single day by over 7000. Florida alone had almost 9000.

Football looking less and less likely. Unfortunately.
Well, I don't know. As long as people aren't dying from it, I don't see why they'd need to cancel the season. There hasn't been a day over 1,000 deaths since 9 June 2020. Only 663 deaths yesterday when it was a record for cases. By the time football season gets here (8 August 2020) the ratio may be even less.
Totally agree. Not sure why people are so freaked out about the rising number of positive tests? That is 100% a factor of more tests being administered, and it strengthens the position that most of the people that contract this virus get sick for a few days and get over it. As long as the death count continues to drop, that is what's most important.
Yep. Positive cases are interesting to discuss. To me hospitalizations and especially deaths are far more important. We have 13 active hospitalizations in the entire state!

They report that we have 56 new cases. Highest we’ve ever seen in a single day. Seems very serious, very scary. We also tested 6500 people.....more than 4x our daily average. But I guess that doesn’t matter...... :-k
Well, I always enjoy your sarcasm... :wink:

What's so-called "scary" about 56 new cases is that it appears to be spreading faster than it has in Montana and, mostly, by spreading it can reach people susceptible to dying from it. So more cases at this point in the spike means more unknowns. As I recall when it first got rolling back east in late March/early April there was a surge in cases first, then a surge in deaths. Same thing in No. and So. Dakota. So I'm reluctant right now to be totally relaxed about this development. I'm encouraged, but I'll give a few more days. Viruses aren't like airplane crashes. There's always a delayed reaction once you get the virus.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:50 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
We (America) just shattered the record for most positive cases in a single day by over 7000. Florida alone had almost 9000.

Well, I don't know. As long as people aren't dying from it, I don't see why they'd need to cancel the season. There hasn't been a day over 1,000 deaths since 9 June 2020. Only 663 deaths yesterday when it was a record for cases. By the time football season gets here (8 August 2020) the ratio may be even less.
Totally agree. Not sure why people are so freaked out about the rising number of positive tests? That is 100% a factor of more tests being administered, and it strengthens the position that most of the people that contract this virus get sick for a few days and get over it. As long as the death count continues to drop, that is what's most important.
Yep. Positive cases are interesting to discuss. To me hospitalizations and especially deaths are far more important. We have 13 active hospitalizations in the entire state!

They report that we have 56 new cases. Highest we’ve ever seen in a single day. Seems very serious, very scary. We also tested 6500 people.....more than 4x our daily average. But I guess that doesn’t matter...... :-k

What's so-called "scary" about 56 new cases is that it appears to be spreading faster than it has in Montana and, mostly, by spreading it can reach people susceptible to dying from it. So more cases at this point in the spike means more unknowns. As I recall when it first got rolling back east in late March/early April there was a surge in cases first, then a surge in deaths. Same thing in No. and So. Dakota. So I'm reluctant right now to be totally relaxed about this development. I'm encouraged, but I'll give a few more days. Viruses aren't like airplane crashes. There's always a delayed reaction once you get the virus.
I agree with all that. But I guess what I was talking about is that appearance of spreading faster. We’re comparing right now when people are allowed to work and aren’t locked down, and we’re testing WAY more, to a time when people weren’t going to work or school and our testing was a joke. And we were only testing those with extreme symptoms.

So while I can’t disagree with your take because it’s all true. It could be something that is really bad. But it’s fair that the “spike” in cases comes with proper context.

We’ve always been the “hotspot” here in the Gallatin. We currently have one person hospitalized. One. And how many deaths here, 1 or 2 still? I honestly don’t know.

But yes, unlike some on the other side of the fence, I agree it’s possible I could be totally wrong about this thing and not viewing the numbers correctly. It could be very very bad. I just don’t think so.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:56 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:50 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I agree with all that. But I guess what I was talking about is that appearance of spreading faster. We’re comparing right now when people are allowed to work and aren’t locked down, and we’re testing WAY more, to a time when people weren’t going to work or school and our testing was a joke. And we were only testing those with extreme symptoms.

So while I can’t disagree with your take because it’s all true. It could be something that is really bad. But it’s fair that the “spike” in cases comes with proper context.

We’ve always been the “hotspot” here in the Gallatin. We currently have one person hospitalized. One. And how many deaths here, 1 or 2 still? I honestly don’t know.

But yes, unlike some on the other side of the fence, I agree it’s possible I could be totally wrong about this thing and not viewing the numbers correctly. It could be very very bad. I just don’t think so.
IMHO it's definitely encouraging. If there hadn't been such a big surge in deaths, nationally, shortly after the first time we had a lot of cases I'd be a lot more encouraged. Every day deaths don't spike with cases, I feel that much better about it.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber