Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5227
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:36 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
I'm not sure why you think this virus is the scariest thing ever. I haven't seen that reaction from very many people. I don't consider wearing a mask to imply that someone is scared, nor do I see staying home if you're susceptible to mean you're unreasonably scared.

Something is deemed bad science when it's peer reviewed and isn't corroborated. Scientists go with whatever is the best science, but in many cases (when the best science isn't very strong) leave their opinions vague. "It may cause..." "It can be the reason why..." \:D/
You don’t see businesses being forced to close, children being forced out of schools, predictions of millions of deaths, predictions of no sports or entertainment for a year or longer, businesses requiring masks, or anything the media has done a sign of fear? Seems to me it has been painted as a pretty scary virus. Based on these actions, I’d have to deem it the scariest virus of my lifetime. If it’s not, I don’t see how all these precautions we necessary.

Sorry it bothers you that I “chime in”. Lol. Might be worth noting you’ve “chimed in” too quite a bit.....you just have a different opinion than me. \:D/
When I say chiming in, I'm referring to you going along with what someone else has said, not that you're joining the conversation, but that's probably because I don't know what chiming in actually means. Not a first.

I see those things as precautionary. I see the word scary as hyperbolic, but if that's the word you want to use, I'm just wondering why. Scary, to me, implies that people are shivering in their boots, like when a gun is pointed at them. Thanks for giving me your definition. I'll just think precautionary whenever I hear you say scary. \:D/ :wink:



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6208
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
I'm not sure why you think this virus is the scariest thing ever. I haven't seen that reaction from very many people. I don't consider wearing a mask to imply that someone is scared, nor do I see staying home if you're susceptible to mean you're unreasonably scared.

Something is deemed bad science when it's peer reviewed and isn't corroborated. Scientists go with whatever is the best science, but in many cases (when the best science isn't very strong) leave their opinions vague. "It may cause..." "It can be the reason why..." \:D/
You don’t see businesses being forced to close, children being forced out of schools, predictions of millions of deaths, predictions of no sports or entertainment for a year or longer, businesses requiring masks, or anything the media has done a sign of fear? Seems to me it has been painted as a pretty scary virus. Based on these actions, I’d have to deem it the scariest virus of my lifetime. If it’s not, I don’t see how all these precautions we necessary.

Sorry it bothers you that I “chime in”. Lol. Might be worth noting you’ve “chimed in” too quite a bit.....you just have a different opinion than me. \:D/
I'll chime in! :D

I 100% agree there was and still is a huge over reaction to this virus and it's going to be very, very costly for a long time.


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5227
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:59 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
I'm not sure why you think this virus is the scariest thing ever. I haven't seen that reaction from very many people. I don't consider wearing a mask to imply that someone is scared, nor do I see staying home if you're susceptible to mean you're unreasonably scared.

Something is deemed bad science when it's peer reviewed and isn't corroborated. Scientists go with whatever is the best science, but in many cases (when the best science isn't very strong) leave their opinions vague. "It may cause..." "It can be the reason why..." \:D/
You don’t see businesses being forced to close, children being forced out of schools, predictions of millions of deaths, predictions of no sports or entertainment for a year or longer, businesses requiring masks, or anything the media has done a sign of fear? Seems to me it has been painted as a pretty scary virus. Based on these actions, I’d have to deem it the scariest virus of my lifetime. If it’s not, I don’t see how all these precautions we necessary.

Sorry it bothers you that I “chime in”. Lol. Might be worth noting you’ve “chimed in” too quite a bit.....you just have a different opinion than me. \:D/
I'll chime in! :D

I 100% agree there was and still is a huge over reaction to this virus and it's going to be very, very costly for a long time.
I disagree with your opinion. I think the reaction was appropriate based on the evidence. I don't think it'll be very costly for a long time. I lost what i consider to be a considerable amount of money and I'm still losing it, but to me it has been worth it.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5227
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
Or it could just be another step in the process of figuring out how this virus works. Remember that it's a "novel" virus, so it hasn't been studied "in the wild."



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:23 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:59 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
I'm not sure why you think this virus is the scariest thing ever. I haven't seen that reaction from very many people. I don't consider wearing a mask to imply that someone is scared, nor do I see staying home if you're susceptible to mean you're unreasonably scared.

Something is deemed bad science when it's peer reviewed and isn't corroborated. Scientists go with whatever is the best science, but in many cases (when the best science isn't very strong) leave their opinions vague. "It may cause..." "It can be the reason why..." \:D/
You don’t see businesses being forced to close, children being forced out of schools, predictions of millions of deaths, predictions of no sports or entertainment for a year or longer, businesses requiring masks, or anything the media has done a sign of fear? Seems to me it has been painted as a pretty scary virus. Based on these actions, I’d have to deem it the scariest virus of my lifetime. If it’s not, I don’t see how all these precautions we necessary.

Sorry it bothers you that I “chime in”. Lol. Might be worth noting you’ve “chimed in” too quite a bit.....you just have a different opinion than me. \:D/
I'll chime in! :D

I 100% agree there was and still is a huge over reaction to this virus and it's going to be very, very costly for a long time.
I disagree with your opinion. I think the reaction was appropriate based on the evidence. I don't think it'll be very costly for a long time. I lost what i consider to be a considerable amount of money and I'm still losing it, but to me it has been worth it.
You’re in a good place then. That’s good. Other people who have lost money and jobs haven’t been as lucky. And we’re just getting started. So while I’m happy for you, others who were forced into this situation aren’t near as lucky



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5227
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:29 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:23 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:59 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
I'm not sure why you think this virus is the scariest thing ever. I haven't seen that reaction from very many people. I don't consider wearing a mask to imply that someone is scared, nor do I see staying home if you're susceptible to mean you're unreasonably scared.

Something is deemed bad science when it's peer reviewed and isn't corroborated. Scientists go with whatever is the best science, but in many cases (when the best science isn't very strong) leave their opinions vague. "It may cause..." "It can be the reason why..." \:D/
You don’t see businesses being forced to close, children being forced out of schools, predictions of millions of deaths, predictions of no sports or entertainment for a year or longer, businesses requiring masks, or anything the media has done a sign of fear? Seems to me it has been painted as a pretty scary virus. Based on these actions, I’d have to deem it the scariest virus of my lifetime. If it’s not, I don’t see how all these precautions we necessary.

Sorry it bothers you that I “chime in”. Lol. Might be worth noting you’ve “chimed in” too quite a bit.....you just have a different opinion than me. \:D/
I'll chime in! :D

I 100% agree there was and still is a huge over reaction to this virus and it's going to be very, very costly for a long time.
I disagree with your opinion. I think the reaction was appropriate based on the evidence. I don't think it'll be very costly for a long time. I lost what i consider to be a considerable amount of money and I'm still losing it, but to me it has been worth it.
You’re in a good place then. That’s good. Other people who have lost money and jobs haven’t been as lucky. And we’re just getting started. So while I’m happy for you, others who were forced into this situation aren’t near as lucky
Well, I sure don't feel "lucky." Perhaps lucky in that I can wrap my head around it in a way that doesn't leave me angry. I'm not as bad off as some people, if that's what you mean. People make sacrifices for the country. Some with their lives, some financially, some both. I think we're both proud of anyone that's made either of those sacrifices. I don't consider any of them lucky.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14015
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
Or it could just be another step in the process of figuring out how this virus works. Remember that it's a "novel" virus, so it hasn't been studied "in the wild."
Blood types may make a difference in fighting off Covid.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/geno ... -19-335881


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
Or it could just be another step in the process of figuring out how this virus works. Remember that it's a "novel" virus, so it hasn't been studied "in the wild."
Blood types may make a difference in fighting off Covid.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/geno ... -19-335881
My blood type! \:D/



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:44 am

So, kind of back on track in regards to football, I saw on egriz some of the conversations they are having about football. Like I suspected, they are planning on football starting on time and with fans. Obviously planning something, and then something actually happening are two different things. However, one idea floating around is allowing season ticket holders and students only. In the case of the Griz, that would be about 19,000 people.

I'm hearing MSU is looking at similar scenarios here. I'd be curious what our number would be with just season ticket holders and students? And how would they go about social distancing that group? Seems to me that 19,000 in a stadium of the Griz capacity, you may as well just let anyone else in too.

The next 6-8 weeks are going to be really interesting to watch in regards to fall football.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14015
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:52 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
Or it could just be another step in the process of figuring out how this virus works. Remember that it's a "novel" virus, so it hasn't been studied "in the wild."
Blood types may make a difference in fighting off Covid.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/geno ... -19-335881
My blood type! \:D/
You probably knew that all along. No wonder you’re not scared. The truth is out!! :wink: :wink:


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:04 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:52 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
The WHO changes its mind on the science.
Imagine shutting down the entire economy based on incorrect information, assuming this doesn't change...

"Asymptomatic transmission is very rare"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... -says.html
Wow. This would be a travesty if true. Though I’m guessing this is based on bad science and biased media like everything else that doesn’t paint this virus as the scariest thing ever. :wink:
Or it could just be another step in the process of figuring out how this virus works. Remember that it's a "novel" virus, so it hasn't been studied "in the wild."
Blood types may make a difference in fighting off Covid.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/geno ... -19-335881
My blood type! \:D/
You probably knew that all along. No wonder you’re not scared. The truth is out!! :wink: :wink:
Now I feel EXTRA safe.... 8)



User avatar
The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1901
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 am

I would definitely disagree about an "over reaction". Considering that states took actions to minimize the impact of the virus and we still have over 114,000 American deaths (about 500 to 1,000 daily), this is pretty serious. I know people want to compare this to the flu, but in 3 months COVID-19 has claimed 350% more lives than the flu does in a year. COVID-19 has claimed more lives than any US war except WWII and the Civil War. It is really difficult to believe that people still think this is just a scare tactic by the media… No one wants the economy to tank, no one wants to see businesses fail, no one wants to home school their children, no one wants to be isolated from friends and family, no one wants COVID-19 to kill Americans. This is a pandemic, and we are all working through it together.

Also, the WHO walked back their comment on transmission of the virus, so the article is not current/correct.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/09/who-scr ... nown.html

On a side note, I hope you aren't bald!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marlamilli ... 759b1f29e4



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 am
I would definitely disagree about an "over reaction". Considering that states took actions to minimize the impact of the virus and we still have over 114,000 American deaths (about 500 to 1,000 daily), this is pretty serious. I know people want to compare this to the flu, but in 3 months COVID-19 has claimed 350% more lives than the flue does in a year. COVID-19 has claimed more lives than any US war except WWII and the Civil War. It is really difficult to believe that people still think this is just a scare tactic by the media… No one wants the economy to tank, no one wants to see businesses fail, no one wants to home school their children, no one wants to be isolated from friends and family, no one wants COVID-19 to kill Americans. This is a pandemic, and we are all working through it together.

On a side note, I hope you aren't bald!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marlamilli ... 759b1f29e4
Your points are valid. I don't think I'd personally label is a "scare tactic" per se, but there is no doubt that fear sells. If it didn't there wouldn't be a need for them to have Covid Death Ticker on the side of the screen.

The numbers you listed are fact I assume. Obviously there has been talk about how they count Covid deaths, but no sense in beating that drum. For the sake of argument we'll say the number is in fact 114,000. That's a lot of deaths. However, the issue I have is how it's being portrayed. Even in the way you worded your post above. Sure, saying Covid has killed more people than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War is eye opening. You know what else has killed more americans than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War? Heart disease. Cancer. Suicide. Abortion. There is no point whatsoever to say it that way unless one is attempting to make it appear as a very big, very scary, deal.

And again, my take only, it's not about the isolation, or homeschooling, or missing family and friends. Those are all inconveniences. It's about the ramifications going forward, including deaths. You're comparing deaths to inconveniences. I'm comparing deaths to deaths. If there was nothing else to consider besides some inconveniences of not going out to eat or seeing friends, I'd support a shutdown forever!

What if the ramifications of the shutdown lead to as many or more deaths as the virus itself?



User avatar
The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1901
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am
The numbers you listed are fact I assume. Obviously there has been talk about how they count Covid deaths, but no sense in beating that drum. For the sake of argument we'll say the number is in fact 114,000. That's a lot of deaths. However, the issue I have is how it's being portrayed. Even in the way you worded your post above. Sure, saying Covid has killed more people than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War is eye opening. You know what else has killed more americans than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War? Heart disease. Cancer. Suicide. Abortion. There is no point whatsoever to say it that way unless one is attempting to make it appear as a very big, very scary, deal.
That is exactly the point. COVID-19 is a very big, very scary, deal. Using those comparisons puts the severity into perspective.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am
The numbers you listed are fact I assume. Obviously there has been talk about how they count Covid deaths, but no sense in beating that drum. For the sake of argument we'll say the number is in fact 114,000. That's a lot of deaths. However, the issue I have is how it's being portrayed. Even in the way you worded your post above. Sure, saying Covid has killed more people than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War is eye opening. You know what else has killed more americans than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War? Heart disease. Cancer. Suicide. Abortion. There is no point whatsoever to say it that way unless one is attempting to make it appear as a very big, very scary, deal.
That is exactly the point. COVID-19 is a very big, very scary, deal. Using those comparisons puts the severity into perspective.
Ok. so than you agree that all the things I mentioned are also very big, very scary deals?

Can you imagine if we forced people to stop working and going to school until we have enough mental health resources to "flatten the curve" of suicide?! Hopefully using that comparison puts the severity of suicide into perspective. :wink:



User avatar
The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1901
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am
The numbers you listed are fact I assume. Obviously there has been talk about how they count Covid deaths, but no sense in beating that drum. For the sake of argument we'll say the number is in fact 114,000. That's a lot of deaths. However, the issue I have is how it's being portrayed. Even in the way you worded your post above. Sure, saying Covid has killed more people than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War is eye opening. You know what else has killed more americans than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War? Heart disease. Cancer. Suicide. Abortion. There is no point whatsoever to say it that way unless one is attempting to make it appear as a very big, very scary, deal.
That is exactly the point. COVID-19 is a very big, very scary, deal. Using those comparisons puts the severity into perspective.
Ok. so than you agree that all the things I mentioned are also very big, very scary deals?

Can you imagine if we forced people to stop working and going to school until we have enough mental health resources to "flatten the curve" of suicide?! Hopefully using that comparison puts the severity of suicide into perspective. :wink:
Once you can catch suicide by going to Walmart, I will agree. :wink:



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:34 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am
The numbers you listed are fact I assume. Obviously there has been talk about how they count Covid deaths, but no sense in beating that drum. For the sake of argument we'll say the number is in fact 114,000. That's a lot of deaths. However, the issue I have is how it's being portrayed. Even in the way you worded your post above. Sure, saying Covid has killed more people than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War is eye opening. You know what else has killed more americans than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War? Heart disease. Cancer. Suicide. Abortion. There is no point whatsoever to say it that way unless one is attempting to make it appear as a very big, very scary, deal.
That is exactly the point. COVID-19 is a very big, very scary, deal. Using those comparisons puts the severity into perspective.
Ok. so than you agree that all the things I mentioned are also very big, very scary deals?

Can you imagine if we forced people to stop working and going to school until we have enough mental health resources to "flatten the curve" of suicide?! Hopefully using that comparison puts the severity of suicide into perspective. :wink:
Once you can catch suicide by going to Walmart, I will agree. :wink:
But that's not the point. It's about death. Your exact quote was comparing Covid DEATHS to the DEATHS of Americans in war. Deaths was the main talking point! To show the severity. But then people mention other forms of death, that will kill far more people, and suddenly it's not about the deaths...it's about the fear of being contagious.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't add up. You can't just use death stats to strike fear, and then ignore them when it doesn't fit the agenda.



User avatar
technoCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3229
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by technoCat » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:12 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am
The numbers you listed are fact I assume. Obviously there has been talk about how they count Covid deaths, but no sense in beating that drum. For the sake of argument we'll say the number is in fact 114,000. That's a lot of deaths. However, the issue I have is how it's being portrayed. Even in the way you worded your post above. Sure, saying Covid has killed more people than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War is eye opening. You know what else has killed more americans than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War? Heart disease. Cancer. Suicide. Abortion. There is no point whatsoever to say it that way unless one is attempting to make it appear as a very big, very scary, deal.
That is exactly the point. COVID-19 is a very big, very scary, deal. Using those comparisons puts the severity into perspective.
Ok. so than you agree that all the things I mentioned are also very big, very scary deals?

Can you imagine if we forced people to stop working and going to school until we have enough mental health resources to "flatten the curve" of suicide?! Hopefully using that comparison puts the severity of suicide into perspective. :wink:
Once you can catch suicide by going to Walmart, I will agree. :wink:
Have you been in Walmart lately?! :wink:


DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:15 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:12 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am
The numbers you listed are fact I assume. Obviously there has been talk about how they count Covid deaths, but no sense in beating that drum. For the sake of argument we'll say the number is in fact 114,000. That's a lot of deaths. However, the issue I have is how it's being portrayed. Even in the way you worded your post above. Sure, saying Covid has killed more people than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War is eye opening. You know what else has killed more americans than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War? Heart disease. Cancer. Suicide. Abortion. There is no point whatsoever to say it that way unless one is attempting to make it appear as a very big, very scary, deal.
That is exactly the point. COVID-19 is a very big, very scary, deal. Using those comparisons puts the severity into perspective.
Ok. so than you agree that all the things I mentioned are also very big, very scary deals?

Can you imagine if we forced people to stop working and going to school until we have enough mental health resources to "flatten the curve" of suicide?! Hopefully using that comparison puts the severity of suicide into perspective. :wink:
Once you can catch suicide by going to Walmart, I will agree. :wink:
Have you been in Walmart lately?! :wink:
:lol:



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:29 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:34 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am
The numbers you listed are fact I assume. Obviously there has been talk about how they count Covid deaths, but no sense in beating that drum. For the sake of argument we'll say the number is in fact 114,000. That's a lot of deaths. However, the issue I have is how it's being portrayed. Even in the way you worded your post above. Sure, saying Covid has killed more people than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War is eye opening. You know what else has killed more americans than any war besides WW2 and the Civil War? Heart disease. Cancer. Suicide. Abortion. There is no point whatsoever to say it that way unless one is attempting to make it appear as a very big, very scary, deal.
That is exactly the point. COVID-19 is a very big, very scary, deal. Using those comparisons puts the severity into perspective.
Ok. so than you agree that all the things I mentioned are also very big, very scary deals?

Can you imagine if we forced people to stop working and going to school until we have enough mental health resources to "flatten the curve" of suicide?! Hopefully using that comparison puts the severity of suicide into perspective. :wink:
Once you can catch suicide by going to Walmart, I will agree. :wink:
But that's not the point. It's about death. Your exact quote was comparing Covid DEATHS to the DEATHS of Americans in war. Deaths was the main talking point! To show the severity. But then people mention other forms of death, that will kill far more people, and suddenly it's not about the deaths...it's about the fear of being contagious.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't add up. You can't just use death stats to strike fear, and then ignore them when it doesn't fit the agenda.
=D^ =D^ =D^



Post Reply